2019-2020 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey yall, wait list warriors,

As I was walking to my car yesterday, thinking the day is done without any sign of a call, and I should be getting all the ducks in a row to submit a primary application again. Without much faith on getting a call, especially given its last two days leading up to memorial day weekend, I was driving as I got the call from CAPT. Liotta, that I have a seat available for me in the Navy.

I interviewed in late November, got the wait list letter maybe second week of December, until yesterday I was on it. As the month of May nearing the end I did not have much hope in my chances. However, here I am typing.

This thread has been a tremendous support over the last six months of waiting game.

Good luck to all of you, who are still on the waiting list. Looking forward to getting to know all of you who have been accepted already.
Congratulations. I am so happy for you. I certainly know how you feel....that sigh of relief and that all is right with the world. Way to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to post yesterday, I got the call in the morning (AF). Very excited for what’s to come! Interviewed in November and had been on the primary waitlist. For those still waiting I hope you get the call soon.

Reactions: 4 users
Forgot to post yesterday, I got the call in the morning (AF). Very excited for what’s to come! Interviewed in November and had been on the primary waitlist. For those still waiting I hope you get the call soon.
Congratulations. That is very good news indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, so if I’m on the primary WL and I’m next in being accepted, if my top branch choice is full will they just offer me a spot to another branch that has spots? Or will they just skip over to someone that put the open branch as their top?

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question, so if I’m on the primary WL and I’m next in being accepted, if my top branch choice is full will they just offer me a spot to another branch that has spots? Or will they just skip over to someone that put the open branch as their top?
So if your primary choice is full, you are also on the list for your other branches you ranked. If that branch's waitlist gets to you next, you get the call for that branch. That's how I ended up in the Navy (for the better).

Edit: For everyone still on the WL, I was going through my summer making plans to attend another school at this time last year. I had no idea I was going to get the call and was honestly losing hope I would. Stay strong and go as long as you can until you can't change your plans anymore. That's how I ended up here.

I submitted my medical waiver request about 5 weeks ago and have checked in with Mr. Stokes twice asking for updates, but I still haven't heard anything. Anyone in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my medical waiver request about 5 weeks ago and have checked in with Mr. Stokes twice asking for updates, but I still haven't heard anything. Anyone in the same boat?
I was in the same boat as you until last Friday when mine was finally approved. I was never able to reach Mr. Stokes by phone, but I was able to reach someone else for an update by emailing [email protected]. Good luck!

Got the call last week from Capt. Liotta for AF! Interviewed in November and was placed on the primary waitlist shortly after.

I'm currently in the process of deciding between here and another school. I have no prior military experience and chose to apply here because I have a wife and kid plus I was interested in what the military had to offer. I never thought I'd get an interview, let alone be accepted!

If any of you have any insight or advice for me in making my decision, please message me!

Reactions: 3 users
Hmmm looks like army waitlist hasn't gotten much movement

Reactions: 2 users
I was offered a job opportunity but pushed it back until mid June... So im kinda stuck at a weird reapply and take the job or keep waiting...

For the love of God please don’t prestudy. You do not need to. At all. The first module is Foundations and it is designed to sort of ease you into medical school. It is also pass/fail (no honors for foundations), so you can figure out your learning style and try things without having to worry about possibly missing honors.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call last week from Capt. Liotta for AF! Interviewed in November and was placed on the primary waitlist shortly after.

I'm currently in the process of deciding between here and another school. I have no prior military experience and chose to apply here because I have a wife and kid plus I was interested in what the military had to offer. I never thought I'd get an interview, let alone be accepted!

If any of you have any insight or advice for me in making my decision, please message me!
Things to consider if you go to USU:
- 7 year commitment (yes, it is big, but will go by quickly; could be even more after residency)
- Military life is not always easy; can be separated from your family after med school, as in deployed
- No debt, get paid almost 70K to attend med school
- Healthcare for you and your family
- Experiences not afforded to med students at any other place
- Staff and other students who care about YOU; you are not just one of the fish in a large sea
- The only job you will have is to go to school
- You will have a guaranteed job after MD; serve your country
- Pay will be higher as a resident than outside the military

Things to consider if you attend elsewhere:
- No military commitment (unless HPSP or some other)
- Potential for massive debt, unless you have expenses covered via HPSP or some other means
- You still need health insurance for you and your family
- You may need a job, or your wife may need to work more
- You don't have to move on orders, live where you want
- More opportunity, perhaps, to match in the specialty you want
- You don't have to deploy
- Residents are not paid very much

These are just a few things to consider. There are many more. My personal opinion, if you have to go into debt by taking out loans to feed your family or for living expenses, plus med school, that debt can affect more than just 7 years of your and your family's lives. The military is not for everyone, and you should be sure that is what you are willing to sacrifice for. Even if your payback is 10 years, having no debt and a head start when you get out, speaks volumes for peace of mind.

Good luck as you ponder this monumental decision.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. Current student at USUHS and been in the military for 8 years.

Things to consider if you go to USU:
- 7 year commitment (yes, it is big, but will go by quickly; could be even more after residency)
- Military life is not always easy; can be separated from your family after med school, as in deployed
- No debt, get paid almost 70K to attend med school
- Healthcare for you and your family
- Experiences not afforded to med students at any other place
- Staff and other students who care about YOU; you are not just one of the fish in a large sea
- The only job you will have is to go to school
- You will have a guaranteed job after MD; serve your country
- Pay will be higher as a resident than outside the military

Things to consider if you attend elsewhere:
- No military commitment (unless HPSP or some other)
- Potential for massive debt, unless you have expenses covered via HPSP or some other means
- You still need health insurance for you and your family
- You may need a job, or your wife may need to work more
- You don't have to move on orders, live where you want
- More opportunity, perhaps, to match in the specialty you want
- You don't have to deploy
- Residents are not paid very much

These are just a few things to consider. There are many more. My personal opinion, if you have to go into debt by taking out loans to feed your family or for living expenses, plus med school, that debt can affect more than just 7 years of your and your family's lives. The military is not for everyone, and you should be sure that is what you are willing to sacrifice for. Even if your payback is 10 years, having no debt and a head start when you get out, speaks volumes for peace of mind.

Good luck as you ponder this monumental decision.
This is an incredible list of pros and cons. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

It's definitely the hardest decision I've ever had to make... Thank you again for laying it all out for me. I really appreciate it!

This is an incredible list of pros and cons. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

It's definitely the hardest decision I've ever had to make... Thank you again for laying it all out for me. I really appreciate it!

Honestly, the military is a very particular lifestyle. The people I know who have ended up regretting it were the people who didn’t really understand what they were getting into and figured they could deal with it until they got out. As much as people like to say it, it is not just a job with a uniform. It’s kind of like that in med school, and probably residency too. But once you’re in the real military, things are different

My 8 years in have seemed like both a lifetime and like a blink of the eye if that makes sense. I have not regretted it for a day, but there were times when it was really hard. Almost getting killed a few times, missing birthdays, firsts for my kids, and having little bargaining power by not having the ability to walk away can be very difficult. A lot of us get anxiety and PTSD for a reason.

But I have also gotten to work with some of the most amazing people and have shared experiences that civilians really will never understand, and the family I’ve made while in are stronger than any of my civilian friendships. I have friends I served alongside whom I haven’t spoken to more than a few times for years, but would help me out in a heartbeat because that bond is just that strong.

Course that’s the Navy. The Air Force is basically just a corporation. ;)

Honestly, the military is a very particular lifestyle. The people I know who have ended up regretting it were the people who didn’t really understand what they were getting into and figured they could deal with it until they got out. As much as people like to say it, it is not just a job with a uniform. It’s kind of like that in med school, and probably residency too. But once you’re in the real military, things are different

My 8 years in have seemed like both a lifetime and like a blink of the eye if that makes sense. I have not regretted it for a day, but there were times when it was really hard. Almost getting killed a few times, missing birthdays, firsts for my kids, and having little bargaining power by not having the ability to walk away can be very difficult. A lot of us get anxiety and PTSD for a reason.

But I have also gotten to work with some of the most amazing people and have shared experiences that civilians really will never understand, and the family I’ve made while in are stronger than any of my civilian friendships. I have friends I served alongside whom I haven’t spoken to more than a few times for years, but would help me out in a heartbeat because that bond is just that strong.

Course that’s the Navy. The Air Force is basically just a corporation. ;)
Thank you so much for your insight! This is extremely helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and help me out with this decision, it really means a lot!

To be completely honest, we can have all kinds of in depth discussions about the differences between military and civilian medicine (There are tons of them on the web), but you need to first ask yourself if you actually want to be in the military or not. I think it’s the only question that matters. We can all practice in the civilian sector at some point, but do you want to be in the military? Don’t do it for the free tuition or pay. If you join the military for the wrong reasons it can (An emphasis on ‘can’) be the makings of disaster. In other words, you don’t want to end up hating your job when you owe lots of time in exchange for free tuition and a salary. No one wants a disgruntled doctor, civilian or military, so make sure you have that question answered definitively first, and ensure it’s not simply because of money. If it’s a “no,” then none of the other points are relevant and you’re just going to be going back and forth forever. Just my 2 cents.

Full disclosure, I’m starting at USU this coming year, so I don’t know anything about med corps. I am a prior, so my opinion is largely based on the bitter folks I met throughout my time in the navy (I was one of them for a short time). You’re going to want out at some point and most find themselves in a dark or semi-dark emotional hole at some point (I know I did). You have to know why you want to be there, why you joined, to help get your ass out of those dark places. Military service is 100% worth it and a great experience, but you gotta have your reason.

I know the cycle isn't over yet but I am starting to think ahead. USUHS is my dream school and I don't want to rush into another cycle without having changed anything about my application. Since I am finishing up a post-bac at NIH in a couple weeks I will have time to work on areas that are weak. I have no prior military service so I am looking for suggestions for ways to build my leadership experience in the event that I am not accepted this year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also appreciate advice on something else I've been mulling over: I know USUHS values candidates who they think are a good fit for their mission and that less weight is placed on MCAT score. I've heard the score is mostly used when deciding whether to extend an interview invitation or not. I got a 505 and that was good enough to get me on the primary waitlist, but I know this score is low when compared to the average for accepted students and I'm wondering if I need to retake it. I am not trying to take the easy way out at all, rather, I am trying to plan the next two years of my life effectively so that I can dedicate my time to improving in areas that USUHS will value the most. If rejected I will definitely ask them this directly but since that may be another month away I am asking you guys. Thanks again for any advice!

I know the cycle isn't over yet but I am starting to think ahead. USUHS is my dream school and I don't want to rush into another cycle without having changed anything about my application. Since I am finishing up a post-bac at NIH in a couple weeks I will have time to work on areas that are weak. I have no prior military service so I am looking for suggestions for ways to build my leadership experience in the event that I am not accepted this year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also appreciate advice on something else I've been mulling over: I know USUHS values candidates who they think are a good fit for their mission and that less weight is placed on MCAT score. I've heard the score is mostly used when deciding whether to extend an interview invitation or not. I got a 505 and that was good enough to get me on the primary waitlist, but I know this score is low when compared to the average for accepted students and I'm wondering if I need to retake it. I am not trying to take the easy way out at all, rather, I am trying to plan the next two years of my life effectively so that I can dedicate my time to improving in areas that USUHS will value the most. If rejected I will definitely ask them this directly but since that may be another month away I am asking you guys. Thanks again for any advice!

If you’re goal is USUHS, your MCAT is fine. However, if you’d be okay with going to another school on HPSP, retaking might not be a bad idea if you think you can raise it significantly. Two-thirds of people who retake score the same or worse, which will not help you.

But I will just tell you that a 505 is fine for USUHS. I have classmates with really high scores and classmates with scores under 500 who are killing it. The MCAT is just one measure, and we really look at the app holistically. Probably one of the few schools that actually does, and Col. Saguil pushed for that for years because he collected data to support it.

If you’re goal is USUHS, your MCAT is fine. However, if you’d be okay with going to another school on HPSP, retaking might not be a bad idea if you think you can raise it significantly. Two-thirds of people who retake score the same or worse, which will not help you.

But I will just tell you that a 505 is fine for USUHS. I have classmates with really high scores and classmates with scores under 500 who are killing it. The MCAT is just one measure, and we really look at the app holistically. Probably one of the few schools that actually does, and Col. Saguil pushed for that for years because he collected data to support it.
Thank you this is helpful. Any suggestions for building leadership experience after college?

Thank you this is helpful. Any suggestions for building leadership experience after college?

Hey PeruvianPapi,

I recommend looking into volunteer opportunities you can usually find some volunteer opportunities that present an opportunity for leadership.

If you're already working at a job, you can see if there's any projects you can lead. If you do research the end result may be a publication, patent, or conference presentation.

Goodluck!

To follow up on this, if you know how to study, and develop a rigorous study routine/plan I'm confident that most people can achieve the 508-513 range.

I sent another update to Captain Liotta, the hiring manager for the job offer I got is expecting an answer soon, and I'd really hate to give up an opportunity if I can't make any headway on the waitlist. Though the 2021 application cycle is also opening up and this also gives me the opportunity to reapply.

I'm still hopeful for 2020, but I do need to be realistic with my prospects

Literally just started my reapp when I got the call! Accepted into Army, my first A! So exited right now!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
For those who may be accepted June to as late as August, when would ODS training take place?

For those who may be accepted June to as late as August, when would ODS training take place?

I think this has been mentioned before but you go between year 2-3 or 3-4? something like that

Hi I just joined this thread and hope to join the Public Health Service! I am currently in the primary waitlist but also need an approved medical waiver. I have requested one since February and haven’t heard back. I have recently also emailed commissioning and tried calling but the message mailbox is full. Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to let you know, there's another option if you decide to not want to go to USU. Look up VA HPSP. Fully paid tuition. Monthly stipend. NO MILITARY commitment. 6 years VA commitment after residency or fellowship (if you choose to do so-- length of residency and fellowship do not affect the length of your service obligation to the VA). No restrictions on civilian match. Full ride, no deployments.

There actually are restrictions on the match. You have to match into a specialty applicable to the VA. For example, it explicitly says in the paperwork that you cannot apply to pediatrics coming from VA HPSP.

There actually are restrictions on the match. You have to match into a specialty applicable to the VA. For example, it explicitly says in the paperwork that you cannot apply to pediatrics coming from VA HPSP.
Oh yeah. forgot about that, thanks for the correction. Nothing related to pediatrics. That's the only restriction.

For right now, yes.

It is also important to note that the monthly stipend for VA HPSP is about half as much as you would receive from the military HPSP. The contract only restricts pediatric specialties. It is safe to say that the award recipients this year will have no other restrictions besides that.

It is also important to note that the monthly stipend for VA HPSP is about half as much as you would receive from the military HPSP. The contract only restricts pediatric specialties. It is safe to say that the award recipients this year will have no other restrictions besides that.

Didn't know that about the stipend. And yes, that's what it says for this year. I meant that things can change year to year with the military/government.

I just got word that a paper I was involved and listed as a co-author was accepted for publication. Can I send to update to Cpt. Liotta or does it have to be already published?

I just got word that a paper I was involved and listed as a co-author was accepted for publication. Can I send to update to Cpt. Liotta or does it have to be already published?

I would take every opportunity possible to send updates this late in the game.

Sadly, I just found out that my medical waiver was denied. While I’m disappointed that I won’t be able to join you all in July, I hope that I can still somehow serve the great men and women of the military in my career.
I’ve appreciated the positivity and supportiveness of everyone in this thread over the past few months, and I wish you all the best in whatever you do!

Sadly, I just found out that my medical waiver was denied. While I’m disappointed that I won’t be able to join you all in July, I hope that I can still somehow serve the great men and women of the military in my career.
I’ve appreciated the positivity and supportiveness of everyone in this thread over the past few months, and I wish you all the best in whatever you do!

I believe you can still try to appeal right?

There are still a lot of ways to be involved. Don’t completely count it out.

There are still a lot of ways to be involved. Don’t completely count it out.
Do you know if we should expect any new waitlist movement for USUHS? I know a lot of schools have slowed down because of COVID, but I am wondering if there is still hope of getting off the primary.