2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrawing from my interview on 11/2. Good luck to everyone and hopefully someone snags my spot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone interviewing on October 18? Guys looking to split an air bnb DM me

I heard a rumor that those that interviewed on 8/23 would have to wait an additional week to find out about the schools admission decision. Is it still going to be by this Friday, or will it be next Friday?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a rumor that those that interviewed on 8/23 would have to wait an additional week to find out about the schools admission decision. Is it still going to be by this Friday, or will it be next Friday?
The ppl who interviewed on 8/16 didn't hear about the 1 week delay until 5pm on the Friday when decisions were supposed to be released! So I would say wait it out these last few days (including Friday) and hopefully they'll contact y'all with updates!! Good luuuck~

This email is to inform you that your application is still being considered. Due to the limited number of space at each interview session we are currently unable to extend an invitation to participate. However, if space permits, an offer may be extended for a future interview date. Interviews are held throughout the fall and spring.

does this mean I'll till get a interview or what? should I reach out to the school?

This email is to inform you that your application is still being considered. Due to the limited number of space at each interview session we are currently unable to extend an invitation to participate. However, if space permits, an offer may be extended for a future interview date. Interviews are held throughout the fall and spring.

does this mean I'll till get a interview or what? should I reach out to the school?
I could be wrong, but I believe that is their pre-II hold (waitlist?) email.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is their pre-II hold email.
Oh okay! so basically pre-interview, post secondary hold..
anyone have experience with this? were they able to score an interview?

Oh okay! so basically pre-interview, post secondary hold..
anyone have experience with this? were they able to score an interview?
I received that email last cycle (I applied very very late in the cycle), but I landed an interview earlier this cycle with the same stats! Soo not sure. I think it's like a waitlist for interview invites (or if someone declines their interview, they may go through the list again). Good luck!! Applying can be hella stressful but we all will reach our goals soon hopefully!! <33

I received that email last cycle (I applied very very late in the cycle), but I landed an interview earlier this cycle with the same stats! Soo not sure. I think it's like a waitlist for interview invites (or if someone declines their interview, they may go through the list again). Good luck!! Applying can be hella stressful but we all will reach our goals soon hopefully!! <33
Would you mind sharing your stats? You can PM me if you want! And also congrats on your interview!

Looking for some advice. I submitted my AACOMAS app on 8/7 (late I know) and haven't received a secondary from here. Is anyone else waiting on a secondary, or should I call admissions? My stats are on par with those already accepted.

Looking for some advice. I submitted my AACOMAS app on 8/7 (late I know) and haven't received a secondary from here. Is anyone else waiting on a secondary, or should I call admissions? My stats are on par with those already accepted.
I would call admissions. I submitted 9/9 got a secondary 9/10. And they were very quick on updated an issue I had on my application. I left a message this morning she called me back 10 minutes ago and pushed my secondary to complete status.

I would call admissions. I submitted 9/9 got a secondary 9/10. And they were very quick on updated an issue I had on my application. I left a message this morning she called me back 10 minutes ago and pushed my secondary to complete status.
Do you remember who you talked to? Sounds like you're having much better luck! Thanks for the help.

Do you remember who you talked to? Sounds like you're having much better luck! Thanks for the help.
I do not. Sorry. I was in between patient rooms so didn't have time to write anything down. But I called 210-283-6998 chose to speak to representatives and left a message. She got back very quickly

Members don't see this ad :)
A little late but II on Friday as well. App was complete on 8/13. I chose the 11/1 interview date. The 9/16 date was initially available too, but I guess y'all got to it before I could lol
Same thing happened to me. Saw the 16th date, called my mom, went back and 11/1 was all that was left. Looks like ill probably see you there!

Here's to hoping they send out decisions, for those who interviewed on the 16th AND 23rd, today! :nailbiting:

I got the same email last Friday! I am believing that it is hopeful news. I emailed asking if adcom would appreciate updates and they said this-

"You are welcome to provide any updates you have. Recent work experiences, research you are working on, or a letter of intent explaining why you decided to apply to medical school. Please feel free to email (to this address) your additional information. We will upload documents to your application. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us."

I plan on doing this in the next week or so. Good luck to you!!

I have a sinking feeling about those of us who interviewed on the 23rd.....

Interviewed on 8/23, been compulsively checking my email all day at work while scribing.... hahaha

Accepted! Got the email around 5pm. Interviewed 08/23:soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted. Loved everything about the school and thought the interview went really well :(.

Also waitlisted after 8/23 interview :/ thought the interviews went pretty well and really liked the school... any idea what the chances are of getting in off a waitlist and if they only accept at the very end of the cycle?

Also waitlisted after 8/23 interview :/ thought the interviews went pretty well and really liked the school... any idea what the chances are of getting in off a waitlist and if they only accept at the very end of the cycle?
lots of waitlist movement but not for a while.

Frommy interveiw date were told ~4000 applicants, ~680 interviewed, ~450 accepted

How do you like the program? Is the religious aspect pretty ingrained in the day to day or just ceremonial? How exactly does the whole self-directed study/case-based learning thing work?

I honestly love the program. Its different than traditional programs, but it allows us to learn more in the long run. They go pretty hard on the Catholic foundation during orientation week, but since then we've only had maybe 3 prayers to start off a class. I'm not Catholic or Christian and it doesn't bother me at all. Everyone is very accepting and understanding of other faiths. The self-directed learning just means that our lectures don't go over all the foundational aspects of the material that day - we're expected to have read some beforehand (they do give us a guide for this). However, if you need additional help, the professors are really welcoming and always willing to help you work through whatever you're confused about. For case-based learning, we get 2 medical cases each week that usually coincide with the overarching theme of the week. We're expected to extract important points from the case, research and then come back and have a discussion about them. It seems a little odd in the beginning, but I honestly think its one of the best ways to learn pathogenesis and pathophysiology of a disease as opposed to solely reading a textbook.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I honestly love the program. Its different than traditional programs, but it allows us to learn more in the long run. They go pretty hard on the Catholic foundation during orientation week, but since then we've only had maybe 3 prayers to start off a class. I'm not Catholic or Christian, but it doesn't bother me at all. Everyone is very accepting and understanding of other faiths. The self-directed learning just means that our lectures don't go over all the foundational aspects of the material that day - we're expected to have read some beforehand (they do give us a guide for this). However, if you need additional help, the professors are really welcoming and always willing to help you work through whatever you're confused about. For case-based learning, we get 2 medical cases each week that usually coincide with the overarching theme of the week. We're expected to extract important points from the case, research and then come back and have a discussion about them. It seems a little odd in the beginning, but I honestly think its one of the best ways to learn pathogenesis and pathophysiology of a disease as opposed to solely reading a textbook.

Thanks the for the insight! I was wondering how expensive rent is? The Kennedy nearby looks great but I’d rather not spend a ton of money on rent if it isn’t necessary.

Also can you expand on rotations if you have any information? I know there are some in San Antonio and Laredo, but what are other locations? Do you have to commute? Thanks in advance!

Thanks the for the insight! I was wondering how expensive rent is? The Kennedy nearby looks great but I’d rather not spend a ton of money on rent if it isn’t necessary.

Also can you expand on rotations if you have any information? I know there are some in San Antonio and Laredo, but what are other locations? Do you have to commute? Thanks in advance!

The rent isn't bad at all, but it depends on where you're coming from. I know some people from smaller midwest cities think its more expensive than others from larger cities. I live at the Kennedy and pay $1000 for a 1 bedroom. You can definitely find something around $800 nearby. There's a bunch of different apartments around the area. Personally I really like the convenience of living across campus and just being able to walk to class, but thats up to you!

I don't know too much about rotations. We only have 1 class doing rotations right now and the majority of them stayed in San Antonio with a few moving to Laredo. I know we will eventually have sites in Abilene, Kerrville and San Angelo I believe, but I'm not sure how they will split up students in the future.

Can any UIWSOM students inform us on the residency (in texas) situation? I read 2-3 articles about how UIWSOM is a private school so the SB 1066 (senate bill) doesn’t apply to UIWSOM.

TCOM, on the other hand, is a public DO school in Texas so the students don’t have to worry as much on their residency situation in texas if they decide to stay..

I really like UIWSOM but I just wanted more information before I commit.

Can any UIWSOM students inform us on the residency (in texas) situation? I read 2-3 articles about how UIWSOM is a private school so the SB 1066 (senate bill) doesn’t apply to UIWSOM.

TCOM, on the other hand, is a public DO school in Texas so the students don’t have to worry as much on their residency situation in texas if they decide to stay..

I really like UIWSOM but I just wanted more information before I commit.

I’m not a student but have you looked at their GME page? They have a GME consortium opening up programs: Main

Is it too late in the application cycle to apply? I just realized that UIWSOM is a Catholic school.

Is it too late in the application cycle to apply? I just realized that UIWSOM is a Catholic school.
If your stats are good and you have volunteer experience with the underserved I would say go for it!

do you think I have a chance at this school with a sub500? ive been told I have a really strong app. I posted above but I got an email saying app still being considered for a later potential II

do you think I have a chance at this school with a sub500? ive been told I have a really strong app. I posted above but I got an email saying app still being considered for a later potential II
How far below 500 are we talking?

If we applied exactly 1 month ago should we expect a possible ii today or do app reviews usually take longer to offer an ii?

Got waitlisted at this school last Friday. Sent me into a deep depression and just stayed in bed for like 24 hours > . <

Hang in there, both of you. The first WL or rejection is a blow to the self-esteem, after how hard you have worked on everything. UIWSOM takes a lot from the WL every year so far.
Do you know the time frame of when WL individuals will be contacted if an spot becomes available?