2019-2020 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just got off the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
All of us OOSers still on board with the whole idea of reporting on here if any of us hear anything?

I was told on Feb. 3rd that they were going to give OOS acceptances within next the week, which would have ended yesterday. So either the sent them out already and people aren’t reporting or they’ll be doing so in the next few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
+4 to getting off the waitlist today :) I'm pretty stoked!

Reactions: 1 users
Those of you who got off the waitlist: did any of you send an LOI?

The "Newly Accepted" students page was updated-- Welcome Weekend is May 2nd!

Reactions: 4 users
Oof so with the change to P/F STEP1 for our class (RIP) I wonder if they'll still give 4 months off to study or if they'll split that between STEP1 and 2

Not sure how I feel about this change. I know a lot of people have Long/McGovern/UTMB in tier 2 of Texas. Anyone wanna theorize how this will impact competitive residency spots for us? All I know is I'm glad I'm here between the 3 of those given UTMB is Pass/Fail so even harder to set yourself apart and while McGovern is great its gonna be hard beating out Baylor students without STEP to differentiate yourself

Reactions: 6 users
Got off the waitlist this morning! I'm wondering how STEP 1 changes will impact curriculum set up. Personally I'm happy I can choose a school based on how I felt about the environment and feel instead of curriculum because of the new changes. Still curious how this will change other things though.

Reactions: 1 user
Got off the waitlist this morning! I'm wondering how STEP 1 changes will impact curriculum set up. Personally I'm happy I can choose a school based on how I felt about the environment and feel instead of curriculum because of the new changes. Still curious how this will change other things though.

I will say that I think- at least compared to other schools with similar reputations (as a factor that may go into residency)- that this change is to Long's advantage. Students consistently mentioned how they felt they were far more prepared technically for their rotations and were constantly applauded on that capability. Furthermore, those who engaged with the curriculum (rather than focusing on step 1) said they felt it was really strong in general. This indicates to me that if residency becomes more focused on either step 2 or on clinical evaluations, Long has been prepared for quite a while where other programs might have some growing pains as they adjust.

I'm still stressed about it, but I am really glad I matched to a school that values practical training so heavily already.

Last edited:
Accepted as an OOS-er! Just got the email!

I didn’t get the OOS acceptance email but my friend just did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email saying "by now you all know why you are receiving these notes" and then continued. I'm guessing this means all the OOS acceptances have gone out and the rest of us are in the wait pool for an indefinite amount of time?

• Sad
Just got an email saying "by now you all know why you are receiving these notes" and then continued. I'm guessing this means all the OOS acceptances have gone out and the rest of us are in the wait pool for an indefinite amount of time?
In the previous email it says you are receiving these emails because you interviewed at LongSOM. So I am assuming that’s what it’s saying

In the previous email it says you are receiving these emails because you interviewed at LongSOM. So I am assuming that’s what it’s saying
Yeah, I'm really not sure how to interpret it...

Yeah, I'm really not sure how to interpret it...
I’m pretty sure everyone who interviewed get these emails and so do those who have been accepted. It’s just an update imo

I’m pretty sure everyone who interviewed get these emails and so do those who have been accepted. It’s just an update imo
+1. All the previous emails have the header "you are receiving this because you interviewed on our campus."

I am accepted, but I also got the email. I think it's just everyone who interviewed.

How did you find out you were accepted? Was it a separate email?

Yeah, separate email. Subject line: "The Long School of Medicine: Welcome to Long School of Medicine!" I got the Notes from Long SOM one about an hour and a half later.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone please tell me the sky is not falling with this new step stuff. Current med students at Long pls weigh in. Every where i look it’s all doom and gloom

Someone please tell me the sky is not falling with this new step stuff. Current med students at Long pls weigh in. Every where i look it’s all doom and gloom
It's too early to speculate but if you wanna join in the "sky is falling" extravaganza, go to one of these threads

Let's please keep the school-specific threads on-topic

It's too early to speculate but if you wanna join in the "sky is falling" extravaganza, go to one of these threads

Let's please keep the school-specific threads on-topic
Naw I’m good lol

• Haha
Anyone have the laptop requirement specs from last year?

Some quick googling turned up these two documents from 2017 and 2018:

2017 - http://ims.uthscsa.edu/computer_networking/msflyer.pdf
2018 - http://ims.uthscsa.edu/computer_networking/MS-Flyer_04062018.pdf

As the hardware available hasn't shifted too much since then, I think it's a safe bet that the requirements were similar in 2019, and will probably be similar for us in 2020, but just in case, I'm going to wait until the thing in May.

I think so many schools have slowly been over-optimizing their curricula for step one that this is going to be a pretty big shake-up.

While Long does give students 4 months off between their second and third years that students have historically used to study for step 1, I think the flexibility of this time will make the new step 1 stuff a non-issue for Long students. Here's why:

Where previously a student here might've taken 2+ months to study for step 1, a month or 6 weeks for an early rotation, and then some vacation time, now I could see people taking 3-4 weeks for step 1, and then taking 3 months of third year rotations early, meaning they just move all of that time to study for step 2 or do research or whatever other arbitrary goalposts residency programs start looking at. In other words, it's pretty easy to just "move" all that time off to the end of MS3 year by starting third year early.

Additionally, I think the shortened preclinical curriculum here will only be a bigger advantage now that preclinical knowledge won't be as big of a factor in residency application.

There's also a lot of talk about how this new change will negatively impact students who don't go to top-tier schools. Long isn't a top tier school, but I think every residency program director who's ever had a trainee from Long (or McGovern or UTMB for that matter) knows exactly what they're getting and wouldn't hesitate to take students from those schools. Just my .02

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if they’ve sent out all the OOS acceptances for a while or if finalizing the decisions have been interrupted by the STEP news yesterday and they sent out less than intended?

I also did not match at Long (the only TMDSAS school that interviewed me) and was pretty disappointed, but I came off the waitlist a week later (Monday). So awesome! Congrats to the others and good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone have any thoughts on the lecturio subscription we'll be receiving? I've done a little bit of looking around and not found much in the way of recent public opinion.

Any more OOS people hear anything or was last week's wave the majority of current acceptances?

Have any of you who have been accepted received your LSOM email address?

Reactions: 2 users
Current MS2 at Long here. I posted my perspective on some of the drawbacks of this school a while back (page 8 of the thread?) and got some heat from other folks at this school. Just wanted to say a few things after reading all the replies and also in light of the new STEP1 changes.

First, I wanted to apologize for anything that I said that may have been offensive to those who love our school. My post was intended to be helpful, not hurtful- I regret how it was offensive to some of the current students that really like it here. I have definitely had my frustrations but I really love the people at Long and overall it has been a great environment for student well-being, which is something that really sets this school apart.

Second, my main point was that it seemed like the leaders of this school didn’t take step1 seriously enough and focused too much on step2, which seemed disadvantageous since residencies currently use step1 scores to screen applicants and care little about step2. The new change making step1 pass/fail will apply for those in your entering class, and this change likely means that step2 may become the new step1, i.e., what most residency directors use to screen applicants (Using numbers to screen people is crumby, but at least Step2 probably correlates better with being a good doctor than step1- so this is a step in the right direction).

The fact that we learn step2-type information during our preclinical years here at Long is suddenly a huge plus, not a drawback. The lesser focus on step1 is a plus too since it’s just pass fail now. And I’m sure that for you guys, the 4 months of step1 study time that they’ve been giving us will get moved in some way to make time for step2 studying instead.

When the dean of student affairs said that step1 should be treated like a drivers license exam, he was right- but it was frustrating to us students because the hard fact was that we had a broken system where high step1 scores seemed like the only thing that mattered. I think that’s what prompted the step1 scoring change. The step1 frenzy was making people do stupid things like doing Anki cards all day instead of serving in the student clinics, getting involved in research, etc. The excessive focus on step1 was really hurting our medical education.

I’m not sure if the leadership at our school knew the change was coming, but the philosophy of not letting step1 be blown out of proportion was an important factor in the development of of the school’s current curriculum. Now with the change, the curriculum is spot on. Compared to the other Texas schools (who may be making adjustments to their curriculum over the next few years), our preclinical curriculum is already really helpful for step2 material and has tons of useful information above and beyond what is tested on STEP1. The timing and depth of the clinical skills course is also great if you’re not pitting it against excessive STEP1 studying.

Given the choice between Long and another Texas school at the present, knowing what I know now about the board exam situation and the overall feel of this school, I’d say hands down this is the place to be.

Feel free to direct message me if you have any questions or anything about my change of opinion here. Hope this post was helpful for the few of you who might still be deciding.

Reactions: 25 users
Does anyone know if there is WL movement for OOS? I haven’t been officially WL, but I’m pretty sure I have since I haven’t heard back yet and my interview was in October.

Question for my fellow post match day acceptees, have any of y'all received your new long email or the letter in the mail that the acceptance email mentioned? Want to make sure I didn't dream my acceptance

Question for my fellow post match day acceptees, have any of y'all received your new long email or the letter in the mail that the acceptance email mentioned? Want to make sure I didn't dream my acceptance
I have not yet either

Does anyone know if there is WL movement for OOS? I haven’t been officially WL, but I’m pretty sure I have since I haven’t heard back yet and my interview was in October.
I'm OOS and I got this email back on February 5th:

"Hello Everyone,

I thought I would touch base with you all about some questions that arise in the Post Match Period. You are receiving this email because you still remain active with us in the TMDSAS system – Texas Residents, Out of State Residents and MD/PhD applicants all are included. Since you interviewed with us here at Long School of Medicine, you remain in our Wait Pool. (We do not send out any further “official” notification.) It is not a ranked list, hence the term Wait Pool!"

She made it sound like if you weren't in already you were placed in the wait pool.

As far as movement in the waitlist, I have no idea.

Have any of you who have been accepted received your LSOM email address?

Just for reference, I matched and just received my email address today

How do I relinquish my acceptance? Email UTSA? I looked on TMDSAS and UTSA's application portal; there doesn't seem to be a way to withdraw my app.

I was accepted to Baylor today and want to give my seat to a deserving, fellow applicant!! Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 6 users
How do I relinquish my acceptance? Email UTSA? I looked on TMDSAS and UTSA's application portal; there doesn't seem to be a way to withdraw my app.

I was accepted to Baylor today and want to give my seat to a deserving, fellow applicant!! Best of luck everyone.
@FreeBird21 on Monday email the admissions office and state that you will be withdrawing from your acceptance at Long SOM to attend a school that fits your needs better. No need to be more specific. Thank them for the honor of a chance to be in their class.

Hey y'all, is there a fb page for the incoming class?

does anyone know when utsa's commit to enroll and plan to enroll date is?

Kind of a specific question, but have any admitted students had their tmdsas pcr be audited by the registrar and be notified of a course deficiency? Starting to go through the matriculation process.