2019-2020 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm worried about the breadth and depth of their clinical experiences, myself. I saw on Long's website that their main partner is the University Hospital, but the other sites didn't seem like they were that close to Long, like the SAMMC. How are rotation sites assigned, anyway?

I mean one of the main reasons I initially liked Long versus let's say UTMB was the location (because I would not like to live in Galveston), but at a cursory glance, it looks like UTMB has Long beat for clinical experiences. Can any current students talk about their experiences with rotations and so forth?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some interesting perspectives here. Want to add that "our students pass step2CS" is not really a great talking point.

Did the school's CoA allow for you to get the Step1 resources that you want? What about money for residency interviews, do you feel that the school's CoA was enough or did you feel stretched?

There's been a big focus on preclinical in this thread so far but can any students here talk about clinical years? How often do you have to rotate at some place across the city? Do you get to choose clinical sites or is it all random? What is the split in 3rd year between UH and VA and whatever other sites you're at?

Step 2 CS is pass/fail lol, I'm not sure what else you want. The point is that Long students pass it with ease.

I think anyone without dependents who's not living in the middle of Austin who can't make a Texas public school's COA work is being financially irresponsible. There's so much top end in the COA above tuition. I'll also just say this- most gregarious MS1s will have no trouble finding "significantly discounted" step 1 study material.

Regarding clinical sites: The rotations are very, very strong here. We're less academically siloed (is that a word?) than some other medical centers, and we don't really share rotation sites with other schools, which translates to students being very involved in the care of patients here. Pretty much all of your inpatient rotations will be at University Hospital (literally attached to the medical school) and the VA, which is across the street. It's also worth mentioning it's a pretty serious VA- one of only 5 polytrauma rehab centers in the country. UH is also a level 1 trauma center with a MASSIVE catchment area that goes all the way down to the border with Mexico. SAMMC is the military hospital across town. You don't have to rotate there at all, but some will choose to as it's a unique opportunity to see military medicine. It's also fantastic for HPSP students. The omelettes are like $1 lol.

All of this is to say that the vast majority of your third year will be within 100 yards of the medical school, and will be very strong training. Outpatient rotations are usually in the med center, but might have you at any number of locations around the city. If you have transportation issues they won't send you there. All of the clinical year sites are by request- typically you rank all of the options, and most people get their first or second choice.

The clinical years should be more of a pull factor than a push factor for Long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
The University Health System (UHS) is a county/safety net hospital, which means that we see the sickest patients and those who have limited access to health care resources. UHS is also a level 1 trauma comprehensive center, a comprehensive stroke center with gold plus certification (highest certification level available), and a kidney/liver/lung organ transplant center led by the renowned Dr. Cigarroa. A women's and children tower is currently under construction and is planning to open in 2022.

In the clinical year, students rotate through main sites including UHS, VA, SAMMC, Christus Santa Rosa, RBG, and MARC (depending on the rotation). UHS and VA are on the campus. SAMMC is far but if you're adamant enough about not wanting to rotate there, you won't (I didn't). CSR and MARC are 5-10 mins driving distance from the campus. RBG is in downtown SA, ~15-20 drive depending on the traffic.

Rotation assignment is a lottery system. For our class, we were given 30+ tracks (with different combinations of the core rotations) to rank at the end of 2nd year. Most of us were able to match to our top 3. For those who didn't, our class created a spreadsheet for them to switch and UME was fine with it. You can also do early rotations if your schedule permits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would y'all (current students) say that the administration is responsive to student concerns? I saw someone on this thread remark that the Step study resources were switched from UWorld to Lecturio. If true, was this without student input?

I loved Long when I was interviewing there, but this thread is cooling me off a bit. I don't like the idea of an administrator that doesn't listen to its students...

Would y'all (current students) say that the administration is responsive to student concerns? I saw someone on this thread remark that the Step study resources were switched from UWorld to Lecturio. If true, was this without student input?

I loved Long when I was interviewing there, but this thread is cooling me off a bit. I don't like the idea of an administrator that doesn't listen to its students...
I would say the administration definitely makes an effort to listen to all student concerns. Keep in mind that once a concern is voiced, sometimes there's a whole bureaucracy they must go through before actually effecting change. I do wish some concerns were addressed more expeditiously, but they do listen. During our first year, the administration would assign students a certain day during the lunch hour to come in and chat with them. A group of about 8 of us would go to a conference room, and the deans would provide us with lunch as they listened to any concerns we may have. They did this for all 200 of us (wasn't mandatory, but the opportunity was provided to us). That way we could make really personable requests to them, and we were able to receive better explanations for why certain things were done a certain way.

Those who have attended the second look already, what did you wear? For some reason I remember it saying business casual but I can’t find that email

Could anyone please post the upcoming 2020 academic calendar if accessible? Like orientation, start date, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Those who have attended the second look already, what did you wear? For some reason I remember it saying business casual but I can’t find that email

I wore business casual, as did most of the students who showed up. There were like 1 or 2 students in suits though...

The email says business casual, and most people wore varying degrees of that.

Yours truly neglected to read the email before packing and showed up in jeans and a henley lol. I was told that it wasn’t a big deal since we weren’t really being evaluated or anything, but definitely try to go with business casual.

The email says business casual, and most people wore varying degrees of that.

Yours truly neglected to read the email before packing and showed up in jeans and a henley lol. I was told that it wasn’t a big deal since we weren’t really being evaluated or anything, but definitely try to go with business casual.
Hey if that's your go-to outfit, like LL Cool J, who's gonna tell you no?

Attachments

• NCISLA-S1-S10-1014x570.jpg
    NCISLA-S1-S10-1014x570.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
MS4 at UT Health San Antonio aka Long here.

The school's clinical skills curriculum is solid and prepares you well going into the clinical year. I can't speak for other medical schools, but as a Long student you pass STEP 2 CS comfortably with minimal efforts.

Curriculum - Some instructors are PhDs who love to teach basic science. I didn't want to just learn for STEP so it was fine. If you don't like it, skip the lectures and focus on whatever study resources that you find important for your education/STEP prep. FOUR months dedicated study time is more than enough.

It's true that there are many mandatory group activities (i.e. Synthesis, TBL) during the first two years. Most of the people in our class used the time not just to learn how to discuss cases professionally (crucial in third year) but also to get to know others/make lifelong friends. They can take away your study time, but after the first semester you have all the afternoons to study...

It's not a school for people who "like the idea of doing primary care and didn't get into a lot of other schools". First of all, don't talk down on primary care as a second year medical student nor any level in medicine. I'm not going into primary and I don't care for the attitude. Fourth year students were given data on the past match results, and it's lit. DM me if you want some info on that.

Bottom line: Go with your gut feelings.

Can you message me as well? Your account is on private. Thanks

Okay, so I’ve asked when OOS students hear back on another Texas school forum and been told that OOS students can be accepted whenever; however, I feel like I remember being told at UT San that OOS students usually hear back on Feb 1 with all the IS students. Does anyone know about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I’ve asked when OOS students hear back on another Texas school forum and been told that OOS students can be accepted whenever; however, I feel like I remember being told at UT San that OOS students usually hear back on Feb 1 with all the IS students. Does anyone know about this?
This school's dean has said this year that very few pre-match offers of admission will be made.

This school's dean has said this year that very few pre-match offers of admission will be made.
But that includes OOS? I thought OOS students weren’t part of the match. Does this mean that OOS students will likely hear back Feb. 1st?

But that includes OOS? I thought OOS students weren’t part of the match. Does this mean that OOS students will likely hear back Feb. 1st?
You are correct. OOS students do not run through the Match system.
Maybe the school wants a feeling of excitement around Match Day for everyone.

I haven't seen any OOS get accepted pre-match this year on here where as to last year there were a couple. Obviously small sample size so can't say with certainty that OOSers haven't received news but hopefully it will be on Match Day!

Hey guys I have a question about when I need to be nervously checking my email all day, the TMDSAS official match day is Feb 3rd according to the website and on the application timeline on the Long website, but in her email, Dr. Kellaway mentioned Feb 1st and everyone on here is saying we find out Feb 1st. So which date is it?

Hey guys I have a question about when I need to be nervously checking my email all day, the TMDSAS official match day is Feb 3rd according to the website and on the application timeline on the Long website, but in her email, Dr. Kellaway mentioned Feb 1st and everyone on here is saying we find out Feb 1st. So which date is it?
I think it’s the 3rd this year (since the 1st is a Saturday). Match day is always February 1st, so I think habits just die hard. At least this is my understanding.

Feb 3, a Monday. And check for results on your TMDSAS portal after 8am.

Good luck tomorrow everyone! Wherever y'all match we're all going to become amazing doctors!

Didn’t match. Does anyone know how the wait listing works?

• Sad
Just matched! interviewed here in august so it's been a while. Excited :)

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody know when/how they tell OOSers if it's an A, W, or R?

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody know when/how they tell OOSers if it's an A, W, or R?
I want to know this too!!! I’ve been told that we (OOS) are most likely going to find out today. But anyone know how? Via email, I assume?

Long SOM fam lets make it shake these next 4 years!

Reactions: 8 users
Matched! Not my first choice but I’m happy to be going to Long, I liked Long more than my first choice anyways.

Reactions: 3 users
Have any of ya'll who matched today received a confirmation email from Long?