2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got mine a week or two after my deposit was due. Being winter break campus is closed till Monday anyway. I would suspect most of that would be handled in January.

PS those interested in ISAC, last year they emailed info about applying to ISAC in March last year.

Hello, I’ve been accepted into the 2024 class at COMP NW and am excited to meet fellow classmates and generally get started on med school. Alas,our Facebook group is not started yet and I have been looking for a list of anatomy used at COMP, so I can enjoy early study. Do you know of any available resources or can you share a pdf of the anatomy lists for COMP? Or even a more detailed syllabus of classes. I can only find vague curriculums and with a year off of school I am eager to continue studying material which will benefit me in helping other classmates, my self, and my patients

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I’ve been accepted into the 2024 class at COMP NW and am excited to meet fellow classmates and generally get started on med school. Alas,our Facebook group is not started yet and I have been looking for a list of anatomy used at COMP, so I can enjoy early study. Do you know of any available resources or can you share a pdf of the anatomy lists for COMP? Or even a more detailed syllabus of classes. I can only find vague curriculums and with a year off of school I am eager to continue studying material which will benefit me in helping other classmates, my self, and my patients

Honestly, I don’t know if I would pre-study because books are much different than how they will look on cadavers, but here is the order for the year: ISOM/FOM1 Back, UE, LE, FOM II neuro, FOM 3 lungs, heart, kidney, FOM 4 Abdomen. Don’t focus on attachments and insertions because we don’t get tested on them, know innervations very well, basically you can study whatever you want because you need to know it all. I like Rohen’s Color Atlas of Anatomy because it’s cadavers and I image occlude on Anki for studying. Netter is fine but doesn’t carry over a whole lot to cadavers.

Reactions: 1 user

Third year here. Full disclosure my curriculum was different from yours but even so my advice would be the same: don’t prestudy. Enjoy the next six months, travel if you can/desire to. There will be plenty of time to study next year and you don’t want to burn out before school even starts.

Either way though... welcome to COMP-NW :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Full disclosure, I pre-studied Anatomy and by the end of week 1 we had passed all the material I learned. Seriously enjoy your summer, don’t study and sleep. Sleep as much as you can. If you have any more questions Just ask, hopefully Facebook group will be up soon. It was made in Feb/early March last year.

Honestly, I don’t know if I would pre-study because books are much different than how they will look on cadavers, but here is the order for the year: ISOM/FOM1 Back, UE, LE, FOM II neuro, FOM 3 lungs, heart, kidney, FOM 4 Abdomen. Don’t focus on attachments and insertions because we don’t get tested on them, know innervations very well, basically you can study whatever you want because you need to know it all. I like Rohen’s Color Atlas of Anatomy because it’s cadavers and I image occlude on Anki for studying. Netter is fine but doesn’t carry over a whole lot to cadavers.

I'm trying to get a feel for how much one would HAVE to be on campus during first year and second year. I have already heard at least Mondays and Fridays, maybe Tuesdays? How often would it be more than that? Thanks!

I can say for sure Monday and Tuesday from 1-5pm for sure and 8-12-2ish on fridays. I would say once every two weeks you have to come in for 3-4 hours for anatomy lab on tues or wed mornings (never both), very rarely do we have a mandatory class every day of the week, but it’s probably happened 2-3x since school started where I have to come in M-F. Most of the time I don’t go into class all day Wednesday or Thursday.

We take anatomy the entire first year and I’m not sure about 2nd year

Hi guys! I'm accepted for the 2024 class, did anyone else volunteer for the EKG thing in Albany?

I feel a bit of "What have I signed myself up for?" I do have a stethoscope (master classic II) from my EMT days so... at least there's that.

Hi guys! I'm accepted for the 2024 class, did anyone else volunteer for the EKG thing in Albany?

I feel a bit of "What have I signed myself up for?" I do have a stethoscope (master classic II) from my EMT days so... at least there's that.

Read the ppt or info with the email Dr. Sorweide sent out, maybe watch a video on how to read ekg’s Just the basics, before you go and just show up. There will be like 10-12 first and second years there too they will help you along, just introduce yourself we are all nice

Got an interview invite from Western-NW, but am still waiting to hear back from Western-Pomona. Anyone know if the two schools keep in contact with each other regarding interviews given from each school or if the student accepted the admission offer?

Like if I get an interview from Western-NW, does Western-Pomona know? Trying to stay in Cali.

Got an interview invite from Western-NW, but am still waiting to hear back from Western-Pomona. Anyone know if the two schools keep in contact with each other regarding interviews given from each school or if the student accepted the admission offer?

Like if I get an interview from Western-NW, does Western-Pomona know? Trying to stay in Cali.
Pretty positive the answer is no to that one. They’re sister schools but they’re not going to communicate over each applicant. That’s a lot of work and they’re more so focused on their own school.

Pretty positive the answer is no to that one. They’re sister schools but they’re not going to communicate over each applicant. That’s a lot of work and they’re more so focused on their own school.

There are several people who interview at both and hold acceptances at both, so don’t worry about it.

I got accepted to both. They don't keep in contact about that.

Very excited to be a student here! Who else is planning on doing ISAC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mind if I ask you when you interviewed?
I plan on doing it if accepted
I interviewed on 8/31 and got the acceptance call on 9/11. It was awhile ago now. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

Thank you sprinter16 and snowcrawler85, I appreciate your experienced advice. I have just come from 2 straight years of being in a cadaver lab and do not want to lose what I have acquired through a year of taking anatomy and a year of assisting students in the lab. I won't focus too much time on pre-studying anything else outside of anatomy, and anatomy can't change too much year to year, I hope.

My takeaway from your sage words, get lots of sleep, have fun this summer, and get lots of sleep. =)

Is there an ANKI that was made for COMP-NW anatomy? Or Quizlet?

Tangential question: Are there any materials you find absolutely necessary for your success or for the overall enjoyment of the medical school process? iPad? Nice laptop? Anki? ???

Thank you sprinter16 and snowcrawler85, I appreciate your experienced advice. I have just come from 2 straight years of being in a cadaver lab and do not want to lose what I have acquired through a year of taking anatomy and a year of assisting students in the lab. I won't focus too much time on pre-studying anything else outside of anatomy, and anatomy can't change too much year to year, I hope.

My takeaway from your sage words, get lots of sleep, have fun this summer, and get lots of sleep. =)

Is there an ANKI that was made for COMP-NW anatomy? Or Quizlet?

Tangential question: Are there any materials you find absolutely necessary for your success or for the overall enjoyment of the medical school process? iPad? Nice laptop? Anki? ???

I have an ANKI anatomy deck that I used from people who took ISAC I'm not quite sure how to share it, but it will get posted to the Facebook page when it opens...

Did they not mention IPAD's during the interview?

I primarily use an iPad but my Mac is also close by. I prefer to use my computer for exams and all the exams are electronic on your own device. I use Anki and notability but honestly I haven’t needed to use many outside resources yet because we don’t learn pathology this year.

I have an ANKI anatomy deck that I used from people who took ISAC I'm not quite sure how to share it, but it will get posted to the Facebook page when it opens...

Did they not mention IPAD's during the interview?

I primarily use an iPad but my Mac is also close by. I prefer to use my computer for exams and all the exams are electronic on your own device. I use Anki and notability but honestly I haven’t needed to use many outside resources yet because we don’t learn pathology this year.
They mentioned nothing about iPads at my interview. What do you mean, we need one?

They mentioned nothing about iPads at my interview. What do you mean, we need one?

No, not necessarily, they rolled out this whole new program with us first years but I’m not sure if they are keeping it going for you guys. I would honestly hold off on buying an iPad until you get an email from the school laying out specifically what tech you need.

Guys, how long does it take to hear back from the school after interview? I am sitting on several IIs from other school but if I am accepted here I will withdraw from the others, really hoping to hear from them this week.

Guys, how long does it take to hear back from the school after interview? I am sitting on several IIs from other school but if I am accepted here I will withdraw from the others, really hoping to hear from them this week.
If you interviewed Jan 25, you’ll hear back on Tuesday or Wednesday

25th Jan interviewees any news?

Nothing yet! But maybe we'll get something later today or tomorrow? It's only noon PST....
I'm also jumping haha

Accepted! Interviewed Jan 25th. OOS, NY. 3.3c , 3.7s, 507, personal ties to oregon

Loved this program from the start, especially the lifestyle medicine track and the option to do summer anatomy for a paid TA position first year. Small class, family style atmosphere, great faculty, beautiful area. Very excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
JUST GOT THE ACCEPTANCE CALL!! I'm going to be a doctor!!

Accepted! Interviewed Jan 25th. OOS, NY. 3.3c , 3.7s, 507, personal ties to oregon

Loved this program from the start, especially the lifestyle medicine track and the option to do summer anatomy for a paid TA position first year. Small class, family style atmosphere, great faculty, beautiful area. Very excited!!
They called you or just a portal update?

Nothing for me yet :(

Based on previous responses it would seem that if you did not get the call on the same day as the others, you are pretty much rejected. i guess it is game over for me at this school.

Based on previous responses it would seem that if you did not get the call on the same day as the others, you are pretty much rejected. i guess it is game over for me at this school.

You could still get put on the waitlist. They'll notify you by email if you are placed on the waitlist.

FWIW, they also reviewed files that had been placed on hold from fall interviews because of grades along with the recent interviews which is different from other interview decisions so it could change decision timelines a bit

Has anyone who received a call gotten the acceptance email with the next steps to accept yet?

Waitlisted (placed on alternate list) unfortunately. Seems alternate and waitlist are two different things from last year posts, can anyone confirm this for the current cycle as well?

Last edited:
Waitlisted (placed on alternate list) unfortunately. Seems alternate and waitlist are two different things from last year posts, can anyone confirm this for the current cycle as well?

I do not believe there is a waitlist this year, only because of my experience from last year. Last year the class was full in January (quite early) and they made a separate highly ranked waitlist of people who they would have accepted if there were spaces left. There were only 20 or so of us on the waitlist and we were all eventually offered acceptances. This year, from what I’ve heard, this is not the case and the alternate list is the only list. However, in the event they do start a waitlist, those students will be ranked above the alternate list.

The majority of movement from alternate list isn’t until May and acceptances can go out till even the first week of school in August. If you really want to go to COMP-NW I would write a letter of intent/interest and call monthly to let them know how interested you are.

Does anyone know if they’re still giving out interviews? I’ve been lucky to have 2 acceptances but I would’ve loved to go here. I was told my application was under review a month ago and haven’t heard anything since. Do they do silent R’s?

Does anyone know if they’re still giving out interviews? I’ve been lucky to have 2 acceptances but I would’ve loved to go here. I was told my application was under review a month ago and haven’t heard anything since. Do they do silent R’s?

I believe they are still giving out interviews. I would call admissions and get an update and maybe send a letter of interest.

They do silent rejections. Happened to me the past two years sadly but the third time is the charm!

Got the post II R this week via e-mail. Disappointed because I did like this school. Hopefully my other interviews went better. GL to everyone still in the running!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Got the post II R this week via e-mail. Disappointed because I did like this school. Hopefully, my other interviews went better. GL to everyone still in the running!

I am sorry for the R, I hope you get accepted somewhere else.