2020-2021 Carle Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone remember how the competency checklist worked back when Carle checked if you fulfilled 9 of the required 11 competencies? Was there any verification of the boxes we checked? other schools made you drag courses from undergrad into specific required categories to make sure you fit - did carle also do this? asking because I don't think I actually meet their requirements.
I think there was a dropdown menu for each competency requirement, and you selected the course you wanted to use for that competency. I thought there was an "other" option where one could explain an extracurricular activity that meets the requirement. Are you on the waitlist or accepted? If so, I believe they would have checked this before inviting you for an interview

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I received an A from the waitlist this morning so movement is still happening. This is my first A so if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. Wishing everyone still holding on our there the best of luck! I hope to be a classmate to some of you!
Congrats and thanks for the words of encouragement!

Got off the WL to A this morning!! Hoping for more WL movement

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted of the waitlist today!! 😊 this is my first acceptance! Good luck to everyone who are still waiting to hear back 😊

Accepted from the Waitlist this morning! Seems like there is a lot more movement from WL to A compared to the information they provided about last year.

Just withdrew my application today. It was by far the most difficult medical school-related decision I had to make. Hope my A goes to one of you here! Good luck!

• Care
Just withdrew my application today. It was by far the most difficult medical school-related decision I had to make. Hope my A goes to one of you here! Good luck!
if you don't mind my asking, have you decided where you're matriculating yet? I can't even imagine how difficult a decision that would be! deciding on college was hard enough for me haha. congratulations!

• Love
if you don't mind my asking, have you decided where you're matriculating yet? I can't even imagine how difficult a decision that would be! deciding on college was hard enough for me haha. congratulations!
I decided to go to a more established school located in a major metropolis after discussions with my family as well as my physician/research mentors. While I really liked the kind of research/innovation being done at Carle Illinois, their relatively few affiliated hospitals and home residency programs would seem to limit (somewhat) the students' clinical training. Their rural/suburban location also doesn't help as far as being able to see more interesting cases. That said, I have no doubt that Carle Illinois will eventually develop into one of the better US medical schools given their commitment and the faculty roster they have. For me, however, I had to make the tough/practical decision, especially with step 1 going P/F.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted from waitlist just now! Felt unreal as this was my only waitlisted school and my first choice. Good luck to everyone and don't ever give up hope- it is going to happen and you got this!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I had a feedback meeting with someone at Carle. They told me that I would not be accepted without either a publication or a patent. It makes me wonder why I was invited to showcase this year if that was going to be the dealbreaker. Odd. I'm glad the showcases were online this year - I would've bought a plane ticket for a school that was never going to accept me.

Anyway, with that information, I likely won't be reapplying to Carle next year.
Wait you're kidding? That's bizarre. I had a publication but got rejected post showcase, now I'm curious as to the dealbreaker in my application lol

I had a feedback meeting with someone at Carle. They told me that I would not be accepted without either a publication or a patent. It makes me wonder why I was invited to showcase this year if that was going to be the dealbreaker. Odd. I'm glad the showcases were online this year - I would've bought a plane ticket for a school that was never going to accept me.

Carle looks into more than publications. There are several students here that did not have publications or patents coming in. I will say that it's part of the holistic review, but we don't have "dealbreakers" to that extent here.

Hello fellow SDN member,

I am very sorry to hear of your admissions decision, and I assure you that there has been a misunderstanding. I am a current second-year (soon to be third-year) medical student at Carle Illinois College of Medicine and I was on the admissions committee last year. I also continue to work closely with our admissions team so that we, like many other medical schools, can continually improve our selection process. I am therefore very familiar with our admissions requirements.

Carle Illinois College of Medicine does not require a publication or a patent for acceptance - I personally was admitted without a publication or a patent. Prerequisites for applying are listed on our website (Before You Apply - Carle Illinois College of Medicine).

It is no secret that our school focuses on innovation and engineering in medicine, so applications with proven experience in these areas, which may include a publication or patent (among several other things) are valued, just as a high MCAT score and GPA are also valued. In fact, there are many other factors that play into our very fair and rigorous selection process, and each application is evaluated holistically - I repeat, with no requirement for a publication or patent.

All of my colleagues here have proven success in some or all aspects that are important to us here at Carle Illinois College of Medicine (Mission & Vision - Carle Illinois College of Medicine). For example, I am a Registered Patent Agent with the USPTO, and at least one of my colleagues previously worked as a patent examiner for the USPTO. Other colleagues have no patent experience, but have worked as software engineers, developed apps available on the Apple store, started their own companies, taught undergraduate courses as a professor, or have won national awards for their volunteer work. These are just some examples of our very diverse student body which I am very proud and grateful to be a part of.

I hope this helps to clarify any misunderstandings about our admissions process, and if you have any questions or concerns please call or email us at (217) 300-5700 or [email protected].