2021-2022 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
looks like no good news this week from this thread?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have a weird tingly sensation in my left pinky toe that today will be showcase invite day
So, what's the guy with the tingly pinky say about the chances that we will hear back this week? 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, what's the guy with the tingly pinky say about the chances that we will hear back this week? 😄

It's lost all sensation and is quite numb. It's given up hope on its psychic abilities but remains optimistic for all of us :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
A little bird told me that Seamus told him that Dean was told by Parvati that…2/3rd’s of all acceptances will have been handed out by the end of this week. The bird also confirmed that acceptances will be handed out this cycle irrespective of whether or not the student has had the opportunity to attend their showcase yet.

• Love
A little bird told me that Seamus told him that Dean was told by Parvati that…2/3rd’s of all acceptances will have been handed out by the end of this week. The bird also confirmed that acceptances will be handed out this cycle irrespective of whether or not the student has had the opportunity to attend their showcase yet.
Interesting...Does this mean there might be acceptances sent out today or tomorrow?

Do you mean 2/3 of the class seats (n=64) or the number of acceptances (2X the class seats maybe)?

Do you mean 2/3 of the class seats (n=64) or the number of acceptances (2X the class seats maybe)?
Probably 2/3 of the initial round of acceptances. So just 2/3 of 64 (or a little higher than 64). They can always just accept people from the WL later

I would assume the number of acceptances and it would have to be today or tomorrow to be by the end of the week as very few acceptance have been given out

Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume the number of acceptances and it would have to be today or tomorrow to be by the end of the week as very few acceptance have been given out
Last year, they made 70 offers for 48 seats for the initial round of acceptance, so ~1.5X the class size. With 64 seats available this year, they should send out around 64*1.5 = 96 acceptances for the initial round. So, 2/3 means that they need to send out a total of 96*2/3 = 64 offers by the end of this week. Given that there are already ~10 people on SDN who have received the acceptances, and that there are a lot more applicants who don't use SDN, I don't really think there is going to be a big wave of acceptances sent out this week. I hope I'm wrong!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Is it a bad idea to send a letter of interest? They say no updates allowed in their application FAQ

• Hmm
I have a feeling that they have already sent out a majority of acceptances. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I have a feeling that they have already sent out a majority of acceptances. :(
Majority is not super specific. It could be that they've sent >%51 of the acceptances and that would be a majority. I feel that they've definitely sent many acceptances (probably a majority) but I think they're still in the process of grading and discussing applicants. I honestly think that a good chunk of acceptances remain to be sent after they get a feel for the number of people PTE ing for Carle.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Majority is not super specific. It could be that they've sent >%51 of the acceptances and that would be a majority. I feel that they've definitely sent many acceptances (probably a majority) but I think they're still in the process of grading and discussing applicants. I honestly think that a good chunk of acceptances remain to be sent after they get a feel for the number of people PTE ing for Carle.
I feel the posts in this thread are super analytical compared with other threads...

I feel the posts in this thread are super analytical compared with other threads...
If there were more admission data from Carle available, we would have trained a machine-learning based classification model to predict the probability of getting in. lmao;)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
If there were more admission data from Carle available, we would have trained a machine-learning based classification model to predict the probability of getting in. lmao;)
I mean, I would think many of us at this stage in the admission process have some level of familiarity with data science. Though I think an ML based classifier is certainly doable, you’d have some challenging time operationalizing some of the qualitative features of an application (such as the strength of a personal statement). However, I think even that can be quantified into different levels of “strength” by training an AI model using natural language processing.

This part aside, I think the what this schools stands for (and this thread -> kinda representing those competencies) is quite incredible. Can you imagine us being doctors casually talking about the ways to train AI models to improve diagnostics, therapeutics … That would be a sight worth seeing!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

I mean, I would think many of us at this stage in the admission process have some level of familiarity with data science. Though I think an ML based classifier is certainly doable, you’d have some challenging time operationalizing some of the qualitative features of an application (such as the strength of a personal statement). However, I think even that can be quantified into different levels of “strength” using by training an AI model using natural language processing.

This part aside, I think the what this schools stands for (and this thread -> kinda representing those competencies) is quite incredible. Can you imagine us being doctors casually talking about the ways to train AI models to improve diagnostics, therapeutics … That would be a sight worth seeing!

Funny enough already laying down infrastructure to do this :)
You guys are amazing. :giggle: Hope you all have a great weekend.

Hey anyone clear on Carle's scholarships? Do they automatically send them to you or do you apply? What's their timeline?

Wtf lol, Carle scaring me with that "We Loved Meeting You" email..... Still no decision

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
What happened here lol? Did we just get ghosted

Is there anyone we can ask? I feel like it has been long enough that an email asking when we will hear from them is warranted.

During the showcases they told us to expect decisions late Feb/early March. So hopefully we all hear back in the next week or two.

I think there is a hard deadline of March 15 for them to accept at least 64 students, so hopefully we will hear something soon. I definitely agree though that an email asking for an update is definitely warranted at this point.

They said late Feburary/early March. It is still early March :)

Reactions: 2 users
I think there is a hard deadline of March 15 for them to accept at least 64 students, so hopefully we will hear something soon. I definitely agree though that an email asking for an update is definitely warranted at this point.
hard deadline is March 15? Guess we gotta keep our heads up until then!

This school is baffling. I get they can take their time, and a few weeks of waiting isn't that big in the grand scheme. But the lack of communication and transparency about timeline is a real put off

This school is baffling. I get they can take their time, and a few weeks of waiting isn't that big in the grand scheme. But the lack of communication and transparency about timeline is a real put off
I was accepted back in Jan, emailed the financial aid office twice, heard back nothing. I understand it's a newer school and I was really looking forward to considering this school but this definitely plays a factor.

They have been promptly responsive to my emails, though I have not sent many.

I was accepted back in Jan, emailed the financial aid office twice, heard back nothing. I understand it's a newer school and I was really looking forward to considering this school but this definitely plays a factor.
Financial aid office? Is there such a thing at Carle? If so, that person is wearing multiple hats, because no one in their staff directory is associated with financial aid.