You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Carle Illinois
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted895369
If you don't mind me asking, are you an accepted MD or re-applying?I applied here for the 2019-2020 cycle as sort of a "safety school" because I figured they don't get a lot of applicants (new school and engineering-focused) and the secondary was free. It ended up becoming my #1 choice
Also as an IL resident with a more engineering-focused background, I'm super excited to be applying here!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted. I haven't started school yet but I can tell you that the other admitted students I've met are very intelligent people. I think we have 3 people with PhDs out of a class size of 48. 90% are engineering majors and the rest seem to be chemistry. Many have worked in engineering-related fields after undergrad
D
deleted1061754
Just got an email for the prereq screen before secondary.
Edit: Secondary also received same day.
Edit: Secondary also received same day.
Last edited by a moderator:
Submitted my screen around noon, no secondary yet
Edit: Secondary received! So excited for this school
Edit: Secondary received! So excited for this school
Last edited:
ice cheems
Full Member
FYI for anyone else this applies to, got an email from them today saying they will not send secondaries until MCAT score is received
Shaggy0814
New Member
Got my secondary yesterday; OOS. This is a very interesting secondary, anyone know if they literally mean make a general collage with pictures from the internet (is that allowed) and personal photos? I'm not entirely sure how to approach it.
D
deleted1061754
I took it as more personal- pictures you’ve taken, designs etc. I am using a pic of a building though lol.Got my secondary yesterday; OOS. This is a very interesting secondary, anyone know if they literally mean make a general collage with pictures from the internet (is that allowed) and personal photos? I'm not entirely sure how to approach it.
Has anyone who filled out their checklist not had every class? I'm planning to take statistics (just enrolled in an online course for the fall) but don't have linear algebra or -I think the other one was discrete methods- nor do I plan to take either of these.
D
deleted895369
Has anyone who filled out their checklist not had every class? I'm planning to take statistics (just enrolled in an online course for the fall) but don't have linear algebra or -I think the other one was discrete methods- nor do I plan to take either of these.
You have to meet 9/11 competencies to be offered a secondary. If linear algebra and differential equations are the only two classes you haven't taken, then you should be okay to get a secondary!
You have to meet 9/11 competencies to be offered a secondary. If linear algebra and differential equations are the only two classes you haven't taken, then you should be okay to get a secondary!
Oh awesome thanks!
Shaggy0814
New Member
Yeah, I kind of did a mix of personal photos, logos, and text. This is so new to me.I took it as more personal- pictures you’ve taken, designs etc. I am using a pic of a building though lol.
How big are you guys scaling everything? Should it be legible if it was printed (size 12 font, etc)?
ice cheems
Full Member
I'm treating it as a flyer to market myself (catering to each value), so I would make any text as large and visible as possible.How big are you guys scaling everything? Should it be legible if it was printed (size 12 font, etc)?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completely ran out of time on the video essay to answer the last question, I looked so calm and professional on the first two and then *boom it was over. FML this was one of my favorite schools. Any past year accepted people wanna tell me how good you have to be on that.
Does anyone know the stats of the people they've accepted? I was a bio major, nothing engineering-y about me except I took calc III for fun. I don't want to NOT finish the secondary in case this would've been the only A I get, but on the other hand I just don't know that I'm a good fit for the school...
ice cheems
Full Member
You should check out their instagram, @carleillinoismed. They post fairly often about the makeup of their student body, and even do a lot of individual profiles on students. IIRC a vast majority of their students thus far have been in engineering, but as long as you were comfortable with the math prereqs you should be fine.Does anyone know the stats of the people they've accepted? I was a bio major, nothing engineering-y about me except I took calc III for fun. I don't want to NOT finish the secondary in case this would've been the only A I get, but on the other hand I just don't know that I'm a good fit for the school...
D
deleted1041819
This happened to me too. Finished one and two gracefully, then saw that I had fifteen seconds left for question three! Barely got one sentence in. It is what it is, we did our best!I completely ran out of time on the video essay to answer the last question, I looked so calm and professional on the first two and then *boom it was over. FML this was one of my favorite schools. Any past year accepted people wanna tell me how good you have to be on that.
ice cheems
Full Member
Wait does it not give you separate time for each question? It's just a running video? Oooof maybe I'll have to put an extra large timer up on my screen or somethingThis happened to me too. Finished one and two gracefully, then saw that I had fifteen seconds left for question three! Barely got one sentence in. It is what it is, we did our best!
notnotreggiebush
Full Member
How many different activities/projects are you all including in each artifact?
benchpresspremed
Full Member
@igriffin I put like 5/6 small things in each but some overlapped w the other artifacts!
does anyone know if "please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below" means the time commitment for the activities or for each artifact itself? thank you!!
does anyone know if "please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below" means the time commitment for the activities or for each artifact itself? thank you!!
I thought it was activities which made guessing hours next to impossible lol.@igriffin I put like 5/6 small things in each but some overlapped w the other artifacts!
does anyone know if "please indicate your time commitment in hours in the field below" means the time commitment for the activities or for each artifact itself? thank you!!
D
deleted1054719
Do you think it makes a difference if the collages are submitted landscape instead of portrait? It's still the same size sheet of paper if they want to print them out.
Somewhere on a video on their YouTube, one of their people said they don't actually print them out. You should be ok!
Admitted students - thoughts on not having collages? I’m leaning towards just using one meaningful artifact per prompt, but I don’t want to limit my experiences either
I completely ran out of time on the video essay to answer the last question, I looked so calm and professional on the first two and then *boom it was over. FML this was one of my favorite schools. Any past year accepted people wanna tell me how good you have to be on that.
How much time do you get total to answer all 3?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4 minutes to prep and 4 minutes to answer!How much time do you get total to answer all 3?
I emailed last week and went ahead and submitted it because it had been a couple of days since then, and I just wanted to get it over with. They said they prefer portrait over landscape because they can't rotate in their program. Since they can't rotate, I'm glad I submitted landscape because otherwise, it would've been difficult to read and understand what I was trying to do. I also generated the pdf summary of my app after submitting and it kept them landscape, but if I went to print, it went ahead and rotated them all to portrait, so it looks like it will be okay! Glad to have it done!Somewhere on a video on their YouTube, one of their people said they don't actually print them out. You should be ok!
veggiepremed
Full Member
this secondary is LIT!!!! I am so excited to do it 🙂 my gpa low but morale is high baby
I applied here for the 2019-2020 cycle as sort of a "safety school" because I figured they don't get a lot of applicants (new school and engineering-focused) and the secondary was free. It ended up becoming my #1 choice
Hey there hoping you might be able to provide some insight, or at least your approach to the Carle secondary. I am wondering if I should focus on one activity for each of the three prompts and construct my artifact around that or provide a smattering of different things I have done that exemplify each prompt (creativity, compassion, curiosity)? Thoughts?
Anyone using Google images to populate their secondary? Should we cite such pictures if we used them? Is it looked down upon to not use your own photos?
Not sure if this is correct, but I did several activities including stuff that wasn't explicitly in my AMCAS. I think I did about 2-3 interests for curiosity, 4-5 fo creativity, and 6 for compassionHey there hoping you might be able to provide some insight, or at least your approach to the Carle secondary. I am wondering if I should focus on one activity for each of the three prompts and construct my artifact around that or provide a smattering of different things I have done that exemplify each prompt (creativity, compassion, curiosity)? Thoughts?
D
deleted1054719
Hey there hoping you might be able to provide some insight, or at least your approach to the Carle secondary. I am wondering if I should focus on one activity for each of the three prompts and construct my artifact around that or provide a smattering of different things I have done that exemplify each prompt (creativity, compassion, curiosity)? Thoughts?
On the other side of the coin to @wippery, I did one thing for each prompt and focused heavily on that and I think that turned out well in my case (if I do say so myself!)
notnotreggiebush
Full Member
Mine had a ton of different pictures: Curiosity (11), Creativity (7), Compassion (16). I had to focus on a few of the pictures for the description and I still have no idea how I'm going to guess hours.
notnotreggiebush
Full Member
What are you all putting for the level of commitment? What exactly does that even mean?
D
deleted1061754
It says in the paragraph to list if you were a project leader, designer etc. I put my roles in eachWhat are you all putting for the level of commitment? What exactly does that even mean?
Anyone else use pictures they took off the internet? I am using a couple and am wondering if we should cite them? Not sure how to include citations into my artifact.
Just did the video essay... oh boy was I awful. I feel like the content of my responses was decent but I just couldn't get my words to work.
hahaha yes also took mine today, cut off halfway through the last question. Hopefully I can time better for VITA!Just did the video essay... oh boy was I awful. I feel like the content of my responses was decent but I just couldn't get my words to work.
hahaha yes also took mine today, cut off halfway through the last question. Hopefully I can time better for VITA!
I actually finished all the questions like a minute early (if not more) because I was worried about rambling. I did VITA today too and that went... maybe worse. Struggle bus over here...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how they are using VITA? I didn't get a request to complete it last Thursday, are they sending it to everyone?
Does anyone know how they are using VITA? I didn't get a request to complete it last Thursday, are they sending it to everyone?
Mine came from Umass, who is sending it to everyone. Carle wasn't listed for me.
D
deleted1054719
Does anyone know how they are using VITA? I didn't get a request to complete it last Thursday, are they sending it to everyone?
Carle is using VITA but they haven't said how yet IIRC. My guess is it may be sent to the most competitive applicants a la their seminar invites previously
Carle is using VITA but they haven't said how yet IIRC. My guess is it may be sent to the most competitive applicants a la their seminar invites previously
Interesting I was thinking the same thing
TheKobster
New Member
Does anyone know how they are using VITA? I didn't get a request to complete it last Thursday, are they sending it to everyone?
I spoke with an ADCOM a few weeks ago. At that time, they wanted to honor their previous statement about not having interviews. For this reason they are not using VITA for applicant selection this cycle, but instead as a trial for future cycles. They hadn’t decided who would get them yet. I imagine they will look at a select group of VITAs after the class has been selected to determine if it works for them. It’s pretty similar to their video secondary so I imagine it’s something they will like to use in the future. This was a few weeks ago and things might have changed between now and then.