2021-2022 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! I would say this school fits me. I was surprised to see that a place like this existed. Have faith friend. I'm praying for you.
Thank you for the prayers and encouragement :'( you a real one.

Members don't see this ad.

During the showcase where we meet with faculty and a student - do you think they are evaluating us as well? Or is it really just to give us more info about the school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When are you complete?
8/12. I’m guessing the completion date doesn’t matter too much and that they’re just rolling out all their showcase invites in waves. The showcase is of different format from last year, with different days/sessions to sign up for.

Last edited:
Showcase invite this morning at 10 AM (complete 9/14). 7 out of 36 time slots remain open.

1) congrats to everyone with an invite!! and 2) do you happen to know how many people they take for each time slot?
Their website indicates that showcase invitations are sent to the top 10% of applications received, and previous years have reported around 300 showcase invitations. For 36 "staff member" sessions, this would average to around 8–10 applicants per session. The separate "student group" session displayed 20 sessions, but I'm not sure if it only displayed available available sessions or if they have no capacity constraints.

hi guys, for those who didnt receive an invite yet, I emailed admissions about more invites and they said this:

Hello,

Applications are still under review and showcase invitations will be sent as applications get reviewed. We do only offer showcase invites to applicants who score above a certain threshold. We will continue to evaluate the threshold as our reviews are completed.

What does "We will continue to evaluate the threshold as our reviews are completed" mean?

hi guys, for those who didnt receive an invite yet, I emailed admissions about more invites and they said this:

Hello,

Applications are still under review and showcase invitations will be sent as applications get reviewed. We do only offer showcase invites to applicants who score above a certain threshold. We will continue to evaluate the threshold as our reviews are completed.

What does "We will continue to evaluate the threshold as our reviews are completed" mean?
It sounds like they score applicants numerically and only those above a minimum score are invited initially. But they may change the minimum score for invitation as they see fit. I presume this would be to ensure that they are not sending too few or too many invitations.

It sounds like they score applicants numerically and only those above a minimum score are invited initially. But they may change the minimum score for invitation as they see fit. I presume this would be to ensure that they are not sending too few or too many invitations.
Thanks for clearing that out for me! I kinda was assuming that's what they meant, but didnt wanna jump to conclusions. I really hope they change the threshold for me :'(

Wow, their USMLE Step 1 average is 234 for 2020, which put them close to mid-tier schools like Miami, Rutgers, Tufts, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, their USMLE Step 1 average is 234 for 2020, which put them close to mid-tier schools like Miami, Rutgers, Tufts, etc.
Thats really good, where did you get the information from?

Thats really good, where did you get the information from?
If you got the showcase invitation, they sent a link to a website with videos about various aspects of the med school. They mention the mean score towards the end of the curriculum video.

Does anyone know how I can prepare for the "showcase"? I can't seem to find much information on what to expect. For example, do I present a project I have worked on or is it more like an informal interaction with other staff members/students?

Does anyone know how I can prepare for the "showcase"? I can't seem to find much information on what to expect. For example, do I present a project I have worked on or is it more like an informal interaction with other staff members/students?
I am not 100% sure but when I talked with admissions, they said its more of an opportunity for you to get to know the school/students/faculty. They aren't necessarily evaluating you during it.

I am not 100% sure but when I talked with admissions, they said its more of an opportunity for you to get to know the school/students/faculty. They aren't necessarily evaluating you during it.
Thank you!

Soooo do we think they're done sending out showcase invites?:/

Possibly, things have been very different this year. The last time I checked around late mid-to-late december, they had only 2 days open for staff session.

I have my faculty session tomorrow - does anyone know if this is in a group setting or if it's just me and an individual faculty member? I know that this is an opportunity to learn more about the school and I should not be too nervous, but I think I kinda am?

I have my faculty session tomorrow - does anyone know if this is in a group setting or if it's just me and an individual faculty member? I know that this is an opportunity to learn more about the school and I should not be too nervous, but I think I kinda am?
Is faculty session the same as the staff session?

Let us know how the showcase today goes! Mainly just interested in whether it's chill/interesting or if it's secretly evaluative

Super chill. Like literally chill. Our staff member had a whole discussion at the beginning about socioeconomic determinants and how they affect test scores and the quality of someone's application and I was just like "yes girl. go off" - that honestly had the strongest impact on me.

It's a Q&A session with a group of 6(?) applicants. She said no one was getting evaluated. She was super nice and enthusiastic. Everyone was also cool - I wish we all had more time together. I am super duper neurotic and I am telling you that there is no need to stress about it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does it stick to the 30 min slot or go over?

I second that! First showcase event was super laid back. Really was like getting on a zoom call with 8 other candidates and a staff member and just chatting for a while. It was nice that there were only 8 of us, everyone got to introduce themselves and ask questions. The staff member literally said "the med school admissions process is gross" as she explained why Carle Illinois does admissions differently. Thoroughly enjoyed. Got me stoked about the school.

My only advice would be to thoroughly go through everything on the website they linked in the showcase invite so you can utilize the time to get your questions answered!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if anyone has found this information but for clinical rotations, are they only in the Urbana-Champaign area or are people spread throughout the Carle health system? Asking as some of Carle's locations are 2+ hours away.

I don't know if anyone has found this information but for clinical rotations, are they only in the Urbana-Champaign area or are people spread throughout the Carle health system? Asking as some of Carle's locations are 2+ hours away.
Today at my showcase session, they said as of right now all rotations are in the Chambana area at the main Carle Foundation Hospital. But Carle health just bought some hospital in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois (~ 1 hr away) and they expect that for our cohort they may require at least one rotation at that hospital. But they mentioned needing to still figure out transportation or possibly housing in that area if they do hold rotations there

Wanted to mention, if there are people who registered for mid-february staff showcase sessions and want to switch to an earlier session, there are a few staff showcase openings in early February time slots.

Just trying to understand my chances of getting an A at Carle - in past years they've sent out ~300 showcase invites. With a class size of ~64 students, they'll probably send between 100 and 150 offers. Does this number sound right? This would mean the school has a post-showcase acceptance rate of roughly 40%.

Just trying to understand my chances of getting an A at Carle - in past years they've sent out ~300 showcase invites. With a class size of ~64 students, they'll probably send between 100 and 150 offers. Does this number sound right? This would mean the school has a post-showcase acceptance rate of roughly 40%.
If they sent out ~300 showcase invites in the previous years for smaller class sizes (<64) then I'm thinking that they might have sent out more invites? So, I'm not sure if the post-showcase acceptance rate is that high...but I could be wrong

My sense is that they didn't send out more showcase invites this year than last year, because there are only 36 staff sessions, and ~33 of them were completely filled last time I checked. According to those who already did the showcase, each showcase contains ~8-9 people. Based on this, I think the total number of applicants being invited is still around ~300ish. Also, there will inevitably be some attrition due to the fact that some applicants may decide not to show up last minute because they are accepted into a better program elsewhere.

They made ~70 offers last year for a class of 48 students in the first round (before March) and then also moved a few people off the wait list in late April/early May. My guess is that they made at least ~100 offers in total out of ~300 applicants invited to showcase (~2 x # of seats). To fill a class of 64 seats this year, I think they might need to make at least 128 offers. If my assumption above are correct, I think the post-showcase acceptance rate should be around 128/300 = 43%

Last edited:
Heyo what's the dress code like for the student/faculty sessions?
At my faculty session most of us were dressed business professional like regular interviews. But the faculty member literally said point blank it wasn't necessary. She was actually wearing like a sporty zip up. I toned it down for the student session. In retrospect business casual would be more than acceptable. In both sessions they reinforced that it is intended to be casual Q&A.

Loved my staff session. The staff member started it off with noting how silly the med school admission process is, notably the interview and how much bias is involved. Left a really good taste in my mouth

Is the staff session 1 on 1 OR one staff with multiple candidates? In addition, is it more like an information session or an actual interview? Thank you!

Is the staff session 1 on 1 OR one staff with multiple candidates? In addition, is it more like an information session or an actual interview? Thank you!

1 staff with multiple candidates. It was beyond chilled, essentially a Q&A.

At the showcase she said late Feb/early March!
Admitted just now at 3:52 PST! No idea how I got the status update this early before my showcase, but I hope to see all of you this summer!

Last edited:
  • Love
I just received a status update on the portal stating I was admitted, but my showcase is not until tomorrow 😂 It’s gotta be a mistake, right?

Also accepted! (And also thought it was a mistake when I opened the portal 😅)

3.7x/52x, and an chemE major in undergrad.

What I'm *hoping* is that they review a handful of applicants at a time during each finalist subcommittee meeting, which they said will occur frequently until March :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users