2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I looked through the thread but couldn't seem to find an answer. Is there a dress code for the student panel tonight?
 
For the virtual visit you will want to business professional and for the student meet and greet which is hosted every Sunday night there is no dress code since it is an informal meeting between students but obviously still be somewhat professional. You don't have to wear a suit for tonight's meeting though you should if you attend the virtual visit.
 
got an email that said somehting along the lines of " your app has been reviewed... you will receive a call in 1-3 business days for the results." Will the call be only acceptances or it will be anything such as waitlists or rejections? I am so nervous omg 🙁
 
got an email that said somehting along the lines of " your app has been reviewed... you will receive a call in 1-3 business days for the results." Will the call be only acceptances or it will be anything such as waitlists or rejections? I am so nervous omg 🙁
UCF does not do rejections I believe but yes it can be anything from Acceptance to Waitlist and REL or someone else from admissions will tell you the WL tier/likelihood of getting off
 
UCF does not do rejections I believe but yes it can be anything from Acceptance to Waitlist and REL or someone else from admissions will tell you the WL tier/likelihood of getting off
Thank you! I actually got called earlier and was placed on top half of the top 3rd 🙂 Still super grateful that I am in a good position on the waitlist 🙂 Does anyone know whats the chance to get off the waitlist from this position? UCF is my top choice because im IS resident and it is close to my home
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! I actually got called earlier and was placed on top half of the top 3rd 🙂 Still super grateful that I am in a good position on the waitlist 🙂 Does anyone know whats the chance to get off the waitlist from this position? UCF is my top choice because im IS resident and it is close to my home
Should be strong. I believe REL said something about nearly everyone (or maybe it WAS everyone) getting off the top third of the WL so being in the top half of that third is great. You should be getting a monthly email from UCF telling you approximate chances at that point in the cycle of getting off too.
 
Should be strong. I believe REL said something about nearly everyone (or maybe it WAS everyone) getting off the top third of the WL so being in the top half of that third is great. You should be getting a monthly email from UCF telling you approximate chances at that point in the cycle of getting off too.
Thank you so much for the response! Hopefully the good news come soon haha 🙂
 
So I was seeing previous threads and it looks like UCF accepts 6 interviewees at every committee review. Everyone else is placed on a waitlist for further review. Is anyone aware of this/can attest to whether this is true or not?
 
@chaibiscuit Current M2 here, just got done scheduling my rotations for next year. Its not a secret that we lost two of our biggest partners for clinical rotations (Orlando Health and Florida Advent) and the COM has been working to try and restore relationships. We currently are partnered with HCA which is who helped us build the Lake Nona Medical Center. Because of this partnership, most of our rotations are with HCA hospitals all around Florida so be prepared to have to travel outside of Orlando for your rotations. On the bright side, they do provide housing for you if you are outside of a 60 mile radius from the College of Medicine which is nice. I have rotations next year in Gainesville (HCA North Florida), St Pete (Bay Pines VA), and Ocala which I will be provided housing for.

The new teaching hospital, while nice and new, is not that big, its only 3 stories, has a medicine floor, ER and Ob-Gyn services as far as what i was told last week while visiting there. It is not a big academic center like you would see at UF but it is nice to have something near us. The only way we are able to rotate with Orlando Health or Advent is if we apply for an away rotation which is not ideal considering we shouldn't have to apply as an away student within our own city. The school has done a lot of work to fix some of the complaints students have had at some of the clinical sites fortunately and they are only getting better. Just don't expect to have big academic center/core hospital where you do all your rotations.

Edit: rotations have not started at the new hospital for M3/M4 and I have been told that my class may be able to start rotating there our 4th year but I don't know how true that is. I would assume by the time you guys are students they will be able to get a few people in.
 
Do applicants on the WL often move up or down tiers on the list before the interview season ends in March?

As in, can someone in the top half of the middle third move up to the top 1/3 or down to the lower half of the middle third?
 
Do applicants on the WL often move up or down tiers on the list before the interview season ends in March?

As in, can someone in the top half of the middle third move up to the top 1/3 or down to the lower half of the middle third?

I think it can go either way, as applicants are pulled off the WL- the remaining applicants automatically move up. As new interviewers are added to the WL, existing names can either move up or down, depending on where the new additions are ranked and subsequently placed.
 
@chaibiscuit Current M2 here, just got done scheduling my rotations for next year. Its not a secret that we lost two of our biggest partners for clinical rotations (Orlando Health and Florida Advent) and the COM has been working to try and restore relationships. We currently are partnered with HCA which is who helped us build the Lake Nona Medical Center. Because of this partnership, most of our rotations are with HCA hospitals all around Florida so be prepared to have to travel outside of Orlando for your rotations. On the bright side, they do provide housing for you if you are outside of a 60 mile radius from the College of Medicine which is nice. I have rotations next year in Gainesville (HCA North Florida), St Pete (Bay Pines VA), and Ocala which I will be provided housing for.

The new teaching hospital, while nice and new, is not that big, its only 3 stories, has a medicine floor, ER and Ob-Gyn services as far as what i was told last week while visiting there. It is not a big academic center like you would see at UF but it is nice to have something near us. The only way we are able to rotate with Orlando Health or Advent is if we apply for an away rotation which is not ideal considering we shouldn't have to apply as an away student within our own city. The school has done a lot of work to fix some of the complaints students have had at some of the clinical sites fortunately and they are only getting better. Just don't expect to have big academic center/core hospital where you do all your rotations.

Edit: rotations have not started at the new hospital for M3/M4 and I have been told that my class may be able to start rotating there our 4th year but I don't know how true that is. I would assume by the time you guys are students they will be able to get a few people in.
Thank you so much !!
 
Completed my interview today! It was a fantastic experience, and I hope you look forward to it because interviewers were friendly and 100% engaged.

Note on technicality - I was confused by where the Zoom link would be. It’s in your student portal (where you submitted your secondary, also that link in your interview email) on the dashboard. It’s not under the interview tab!

Hope this helps 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know what the dress code is like for the Diversity and Knight ambassador zoom calls? Thanks!
 
When I was offered an interview I only had options for this coming Thursday and Friday, so either they limited what I could see or Friday is the last interview day. I didn't look forward to March though
I had mine last week and was only offered thursday and friday too so I think its just limited to what you could see.
 
Hello everyone! I am a current M1 at the UCF COM and wanted to write something for anyone of you checking in on this forum who have been waitlisted or continue to wait for an interview.

This is a scary time. Just to be back on SDN gives me PTSD from all of those days that I incessantly checked the forum for updates or any sign of hope. I remember being placed in the upper half of the middle 1/3 for this school and the anxiety I felt each passing day as I was unsure as to whether I would be given a place at my dream school. I was given the blessing of my acceptance offer in late June, just as I was setting up for an alternate future. Those tears were real.

I want you all to know that you are not alone in this. Your feelings of anxiety are valid. Please take this time to work on yourselves, not just for the benefit of some addition to your resume that may provide another step towards the ultimate goal of attending medical school, but for the benefit of your own happiness. Seek help. Maintain connections with friends and family. Limit your time spent on this forum to maybe twice a week should you not need it.

If you want to be a doctor, truly, then no obstacle in this world will prevent you from doing so forever, and there is always time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad