2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is very disappointing to me and the first time ever that I have heard of something like this at my program in my 20+ years of being a MD program director in Florida. We have consistently interviewed older students, some in their 50's and one in their early 60's. Being longer in the tooth myself, this does not make me happy and is someting that I will not tolerate. Did you bring it up to the program or is this the first time you are commenting about it?
First time I brought it up. I felt so embarrassed and defeated that I just gave up on the MD dream.
 
Pretty sure, it's a really good chance. I think the spots that do not have a great chance are lower half of mid third and then all of bottom third.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the odds someone from the bottom half of the top 1/3 on the WL gets accepted?
Based on our history it is essentially a guarantee if the applicant holds on to an offer that will likely come in late April or May, maybe earlier. It is my belief that we could even get into the upper portion of the lower 1/3 before we matriculate. This has been a crazy year and is pretty much unpredictable. Virtual interviews were "easy" to accept by an applicant and "easy" to offer by a med program. I think we can agree that virtual interviews dont provide the applicant with the in-depth knowledge, or "feel," about a program that they got when they attended an in-person interview. There are so many "wild cards" this year I suspect lots of turnover at most progams.
 
Last edited:
Based on our history it is essentially a guarantee if the applicant holds on to an offer that will likely come in late April or May, maybe earlier. It is my belief that we could even get into the upper portion of the lower 1/3 before we matriculate. This has been a crazy year and is pretty much unpredictable. Virtual interviews were "easy" to accept by an applicant and "easy" to offer by a med program. I think we can agree that virtual interviews dont provide the applicant with the in-depth knowledge, or "feel," about a program that they got when they attended an in-person interview. There are so many "wild cards" this year I suspect lots of turnover at most progams.
Hi REL! So do you think that you’ll get probably get through the upper 1/2 of the middle 1/3 this year then?
 
If we ended up on the bottom 1/3 of the WL, when is the earliest we can ask for feedback?
We will begin accepting feedback requests in very early March and responses will be based on first in, first out. Feedback responses will be done as time becomes available. We are preparing to post some instructions for feedback requests on our website in the coming week. Applicants who request feedback will be required to assess their own application in many areas and provide us indications of what they felt was a strength and where they could use some improvement and what they plan to do to turn that area into a strength.
 
Based on our history it is essentially a guarantee if the applicant holds on to an offer that will likely come in late April or May, maybe earlier. It is my belief that we could even get into the upper portion of the lower 1/3 before we matriculate. This has been a crazy year and is pretty much unpredictable. Virtual interviews were "easy" to accept by an applicant and "easy" to offer by a med program. I think we can agree that virtual interviews dont provide the applicant with the in-depth knowledge, or "feel," about a program that they got when they attended an in-person interview. There are so many "wild cards" this year I suspect lots of turnover at most progams.
REL, would later acceptances receive less financial aid than those who are accepted earlier? I can imagine funds run out as less and less seats are available.
 
REL, would later acceptances receive less financial aid than those who are accepted earlier? I can imagine funds run out as less and less seats are available.
@REL Following up on this question, with regards to OOS/IS, what number/percentage of OOS or IS students are immediately accepted and how many are pulled from the Waitlist?
 
@REL Once we are on the waitlist can significant updates or letters of intent move us to a higher ranking on the waitlist or since it is already ranked will movement only come as people are selected off the top?
 
@REL Once we are on the waitlist can significant updates or letters of intent move us to a higher ranking on the waitlist or since it is already ranked will movement only come as people are selected off the top?
Once a file has met the committee to determine whether you are accepted or waitlisted they will not go back and review any updates to change an applicant's position.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL Following up on this question, with regards to OOS/IS, what number/percentage of OOS or IS students are immediately accepted and how many are pulled from the Waitlist?

I did not either. I'm assuming sending an email was good enough.
Normally a mass response to V.V. RSVP will come out about two days before the event with additional info and the zoom link.....
 
Did anyone receive email notice about virtual visit in February? @REL said in previous pages that the virtual visit will be tomorrow, but I have not received any notice yet. 🙁
 
Did anyone receive email notice about virtual visit in February? @REL said in previous pages that the virtual visit will be tomorrow, but I have not received any notice yet. 🙁
I haven't received it either. It'll prolly be emailed to us tmo.
 
Did anyone receive email notice about virtual visit in February? @REL said in previous pages that the virtual visit will be tomorrow, but I have not received any notice yet. 🙁

Just a heads up, I’m not sure if yours is different and is tomorrow- it says on my interview email that it is Thursday the 25th... I thought it was about once a month unless there are different dates for different students.
 
How long after your virtual visit did u get ur decision released to u? I’ve already had my file reviewed just waiting on the visit tomorrow...could they release my decision right after or on Friday or would I have to wait until next week?
 
Last edited:
Expanding on the last question, what’s the process like for informing us of our admissions decision? If we don’t receive the call, will we receive a voicemail with a decision/an email or a response to call back?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received the February WL update email. Currently 226 people on the waitlist for anyone curious
I wonder if the email meant that they will start to accept people off the waitlist after their next and last committee meeting in March? Or was anyone accepted today from the February update?
 
I wonder if the email meant that they will start to accept people off the waitlist after their next and last committee meeting in March? Or was anyone accepted today from the February update?
I believe the WL emails are just sent at the end of every month to update everyone who was already placed on the waitlist on their position and not to offer any acceptances. Waitlist acceptances likely don’t come until late April or May unless you’re at the very top.
 
@REL do you know when we should start to hear back about merit based scholarships or financial aid?
I know that the scholarship committee has met at least once about a week ago and should continue to do so regularly. I know that general cost of attendance is available on the COM FA site and that fincial aid will be available to nearly everyone to cover those costs (unless you have multiple degrees and have used federal FA for them you will not max out your FA eligibility). In the past our scholarship committee has been able to award all matriculants some amount to all matriculants. As money has gotten tighter I do not know if that can continue for this class --- but we hope so. As to when they will begin to release offers, I would expect some to hear soon with all hearing gradually as the committee meets.
 
I know that the scholarship committee has met at least once about a week ago and should continue to do so regularly. I know that general cost of attendance is available on the COM FA site and that fincial aid will be available to nearly everyone to cover those costs (unless you have multiple degrees and have used federal FA for them you will not max out your FA eligibility). In the past our scholarship committee has been able to award all matriculants some amount to all matriculants. As money has gotten tighter I do not know if that can continue for this class --- but we hope so. As to when they will begin to release offers, I would expect some to hear soon with all hearing gradually as the committee meets.
@REL -- can you to speak to whether the primary determinants of how much each person is awarded are financial need, stats, IS vs. OOS, URM, etc., or some undefined combination, kind of like Big Mac secret sauce?? 🙂
 
Does our VAVD engagement have any impact on admissions decisions? Or is it ok to just absorb all the info in the sessions
mine occurred after the day i was reviewed so i cant imagine how it would have an impact (also with such a high # of attendees it seems unlikely)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kind of random, but is there a way you can tell before getting the call whether you got accepted or not yet, just so it spares us of the immense anxiety... some sort of a rhyme or rhythm people have noticed (certain time, number, etc.)?
 
Kind of random, but is there a way you can tell before getting the call whether you got accepted or not yet, just so it spares us of the immense anxiety... some sort of a rhyme or rhythm people have noticed (certain time, number, etc.)?

I got an email telling me which day I would be reviewed and a 1-3 day time frame to expect a call after! Today the told us at the VV exactly what day they would call. It is a heck of a lot better than other schools that will tell you a 2 week timeframe, don’t follow it, then forget to call you and a month later you get an email. Trust me! UCF is doing it very right and it is very much appreciated!
 
Last edited: