2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does our VAVD engagement have any impact on admissions decisions? Or is it ok to just absorb all the info in the sessions
mine occurred after the day i was reviewed so i cant imagine how it would have an impact (also with such a high # of attendees it seems unlikely)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
mine occurred after the day i was reviewed so i cant imagine how it would have an impact (also with such a high # of attendees it seems unlikely)
How long after the tour did you get the email or phone call? The day after or couple of days after the tour?

Kind of random, but is there a way you can tell before getting the call whether you got accepted or not yet, just so it spares us of the immense anxiety... some sort of a rhyme or rhythm people have noticed (certain time, number, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of random, but is there a way you can tell before getting the call whether you got accepted or not yet, just so it spares us of the immense anxiety... some sort of a rhyme or rhythm people have noticed (certain time, number, etc.)?

I got an email telling me which day I would be reviewed and a 1-3 day time frame to expect a call after! Today the told us at the VV exactly what day they would call. It is a heck of a lot better than other schools that will tell you a 2 week timeframe, don’t follow it, then forget to call you and a month later you get an email. Trust me! UCF is doing it very right and it is very much appreciated!

Last edited:
@REL Is UCF still sending out interview invites? Online, it says the last date is Feb 28th; is that accurate, or changing this cycle?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted! This is huge, my first Florida school acceptance! Good luck to everyone else who is expecting a call today!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
WL. Lower half of the middle third. Pretty crushed right now since this was my top choice. Good luck everyone.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
also WL, upper 1/2 of the middle third. hoping for lots of WL movement :) good luck everyone

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
@REL you previously mentioned we could even get into the upper part of the lower third. Do you still feel this is the case with regards to people coming off WL?

@REL you previously mentioned we could even get into the upper part of the lower third. Do you still feel this is the case with regards to people coming off WL?
Way to early to tell right now unfortunately, but if there every was a year that could happen, this would be this one.....so many unknowns on the applicant and admissions sides........it could be a completely normal year.......but I would not bet heavily on that......

Members don't see this ad :)
Sincere congratulations. Can you share your stats ?
Thanks

I’d say don’t focus on stats too much!

I think if you have above a 3.4 and 75 percentile or up with very solid experiences you are golden! Just throwing my stats out as a non-trad post-bacc doesn’t really tell the whole story! I think schools like UCF really focus on wholistic experiences and consistency (ie not just shadowing for a month for 100 hours but rather seeing repeated encounters for an extended period). That plus conveying what those experiences mean to you and your maturity through those encounters.

The reason I say not to focus on stats too much is that I applied last year with the same stats and didn’t get in (not even an II). This year, I had a few extra experiences, really did an overhaul on writing my apps, and focused on timeliness on my submissions and got in! Keep working at it everyone and don’t lose hope- even if it isn’t this year, there is always next. And trust me- I get the time crunch aspect of things, believe me I’m out of my 20’s... but when it’s the right time, things will fall into place for you!

Not sure if this is the case, but is the waitlist broken down into OOS and IS to ensure the school's desired ratio of students is maintained? If this is the case, is it more likely for someone to get in as OOS/IS while on the waitlist?

Its the same list, but they replace OOS students w OOS and IS students w IS so as to maintain OOS vs IS ratio. So like if someone who is OOS gets accepted, then an OOS student gets bumped up to their spot.

Its the same list, but they replace OOS students w OOS and IS students w IS so as to maintain OOS vs IS ratio. So like if someone who is OOS gets accepted, then an OOS student gets bumped up to their spot.
Hmm so does that mean statically there is more variation in movement for OOS students in either direction? In that someone can move up or down significantly as an OOS student.

Hmm so does that mean statically there is more variation in movement for OOS students in either direction? In that someone can move up or down significantly as an OOS student.
I suppose so. I think we were told the ratio is 1/3 OOS and 2/3 IS. I could have misinterpreted how it was explained, so if someone thinks otherwise feel free to chip in.

This is purely speculation on my end. I'd assume OOS would have more movement simply cuz of tuition being higher.

Each year we interview nearly 500 applicants with a general goal of roughly 2/3 of our matriculants being Floridains. To do that we also interview, accept, and wait list roughly 2/3 Floridians. When all is done, it ends up that there is about a 5% difference in the movement of the waitlists. Yes, we normally will split out the IS/OOS lists once the committee ceases meetings at the end of March. We also want to be available to you throughout the remainder of this cycle to help you understand our process as well as be there for you if you feel that another program is short-sheeting you.

Reactions: 4 users
Each year we interview nearly 500 applicants with a general goal of roughly 2/3 of our matriculants being Floridains. To do that we also interview, accept, and wait list roughly 2/3 Floridians. When all is done, it ends up that there is about a 5% difference in the movement of the waitlists. Yes, we normally will split out the IS/OOS lists once the committee ceases meetings at the end of March. We also want to be available to you throughout the remainder of this cycle to help you understand our process as well as be there for you if you feel that another program is short-sheeting you.
Thank you for a clear answer. My question is: Is UCF still giving interviews and when it stops.

PTE/CTE - Plan/Commit to Enroll are AMCAS OPTIONs for you. You are not required to use these OPTIONS unless a medical program requires it in their instructions to applicants. Medical programs advertise their PTE (and CTE) policy in the MSAR and should also devote a section of their web site to clearly defining their policy of use of PTE.

PTE - Is now available for you to select but has little real value to anyone. Until May 1, medical programs can only see aggregate data. This means that they do not know WHO has selected PTE until May 1. To me, using PTE prior to May 1 is a total waste of time. Yes it will tell a medical school that that 25 of their 100 acceptees have selected PTE, but again they dont know who. It is good for bored acceptees who can play the daily PTE game with themselves. I think the most common game is the daily changing PTE game --- if they have 3 acceptances, they choose a different one daily! It drives med schools nuts, they lose a few one day, gain a few the next...up and down it goes ---- the only problem is only a few med schools pay attention because it is AGGREGATE data.

PTE after May 1 has some significance to medical programs. They will begin to see your name and that you have PTE'd to their own program or another unidentified program. Some programs may see that you have PTE'd to another unidentified program and they may either contact you or they may assume you are not interested in their program and rescind their offer of acceptance. When you know that you will not be attending a program please do everyone a favor and withdraw - it is especially helpful to other applicants who are seeking an acceptance.

CTE - Will be available to you starting May 1. Most programs will not require you to CTE more than 3-4 weeks prior to the beginning of their orientation/matriculation week. This is the customary timeframe that was previously included in the AAMC protocols. There are some programs who have set their CTE deadline 7-8 weeks ahead of their orientation/matriculation week. I feel very strongly that these programs are restricting applicant choice, forcing you to CTE to their program while still awaiting "that " acceptance from your top choice program. This is not fair to you. If you find yourself in this situation I would recommend that you contact that "top choice" program and chat with them. Many would like to hear from you and will likely give you an idea if your hopes are in line with the possibilities of acceptance at that program.

IMPORTANT: All med schools make their PTE (if they use this)/CTE deadlines clear and should publish them at their website and in the MSAR. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for knowing these dates. If you do not find them at the school's website you should ask them to post it.

• Love
Pre-II R. Complete 9/25.

• Sad
5 rejection emails and counting. Pour it on, I can take a few more.

Pre-II R. OOS. Complete late August. Saw it coming but still really bummed :(

Don’t give up on yourselves guys- last year I was at 8 R’s 0 II’s 0 A’s. This year I dusted myself off, polished up, and tried again. Sitting on several interviews, multiple A’s and a couple of waitlists. You will get there!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
5 rejection emails and counting. Pour it on, I can take a few more.
Sorry for all of the repetitive emails regarding not being selected for an interview. I had forgotten that each prior group would remain in the queue unless cleared. Mea culpa, mea culpa!!!

Sorry for all of the repetitive emails regarding not being selected for an interview. I had forgotten that each prior group would remain in the queue unless cleared. Mea culpa, mea culpa!!!
Does it mean more interviews?

pre-II R. Complete late August, sent in two updates (December, February) :( Really had hope for this one.

Pre-II R about a half hour ago. 511/3.6/OOS non-trad. Congrats to all those who made it and good luck to all of us here or elsewhere.

PTE/CTE - Plan/Commit to Enroll are AMCAS OPTIONs for you. You are not required to use these OPTIONS unless a medical program requires it in their instructions to applicants. Medical programs advertise their PTE (and CTE) policy in the MSAR and should also devote a section of their web site to clearly defining their policy of use of PTE.

PTE - Is now available for you to select but has little real value to anyone. Until May 1, medical programs can only see aggregate data. This means that they do not know WHO has selected PTE until May 1. To me, using PTE prior to May 1 is a total waste of time. Yes it will tell a medical school that that 25 of their 100 acceptees have selected PTE, but again they dont know who. It is good for bored acceptees who can play the daily PTE game with themselves. I think the most common game is the daily changing PTE game --- if they have 3 acceptances, they choose a different one daily! It drives med schools nuts, they lose a few one day, gain a few the next...up and down it goes ---- the only problem is only a few med schools pay attention because it is AGGREGATE data.

PTE after May 1 has some significance to medical programs. They will begin to see your name and that you have PTE'd to their own program or another unidentified program. Some programs may see that you have PTE'd to another unidentified program and they may either contact you or they may assume you are not interested in their program and rescind their offer of acceptance. When you know that you will not be attending a program please do everyone a favor and withdraw - it is especially helpful to other applicants who are seeking an acceptance.

CTE - Will be available to you starting May 1. Most programs will not require you to CTE more than 3-4 weeks prior to the beginning of their orientation/matriculation week. This is the customary timeframe that was previously included in the AAMC protocols. There are some programs who have set their CTE deadline 7-8 weeks ahead of their orientation/matriculation week. I feel very strongly that these programs are restricting applicant choice, forcing you to CTE to their program while still awaiting "that " acceptance from your top choice program. This is not fair to you. If you find yourself in this situation I would recommend that you contact that "top choice" program and chat with them. Many would like to hear from you and will likely give you an idea if your hopes are in line with the possibilities of acceptance at that program.

IMPORTANT: All med schools make their PTE (if they use this)/CTE deadlines clear and should publish them at their website and in the MSAR. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for knowing these dates. If you do not find them at the school's website you should ask them to post it.
Thank you for this information, it does provide some clarity in this process. I have a question. Since PTE is optional and accepted applicants can change it daily or not even use the option, can medical schools see at this time if the students they have accepted or waitlisted are holding other acceptances from other unidentified programs?

Thank you for this information, it does provide some clarity in this process. I have a question. Since PTE is optional and accepted applicants can change it daily or not even use the option, can medical schools see at this time if the students they have accepted or waitlisted are holding other acceptances from other unidentified programs?
Yes. They can see how many of their applicants are sitting of X acceptances or waitlists if N = 10+. They can also see which schools they're competing against and how many at each if N = 5+ if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
At this time admissions offices can see information that they have accepted 150, and that 10 have selected PTE to another institution and that 6 have selected another institution. We can also see that there are 5+ common acceptances with different schools (ie. 6 @ UF, 22@USF, 13 @ Emory, etc.). These are all just meaningless numbers. It is simply aggregate data with no names attached.

Any recent waitlisted people post-Virtual Visit receive any email correspondence from Admissions regarding their position and all?

Any recent waitlisted people post-Virtual Visit receive any email correspondence from Admissions regarding their position and all?
Received a call today, and they told me my position on the waitlist. I don’t think they send emails regarding position when they initially tell you, only about updates regarding your placement throughout the cycle. However, I could be wrong, so full disclaimer. 😅

Guys hypothetical situation. Let’s say you get off the waitlist in May or June right. Is it still possible to get a great financial aid/grant package or identical to what you would have gotten had you been admitted in January or February? My instinct tells me no, but just wondering what the consensus was on being admitted late off the waitlist vs being accepted early with regards to FA.

Seems to me that if they were going to throw money at you to convince you to go to UCF, they would've done so sooner.
Need based aid may be unchanged, but merit is probably all gone.

Guys hypothetical situation. Let’s say you get off the waitlist in May or June right. Is it still possible to get a great financial aid/grant package or identical to what you would have gotten had you been admitted in January or February? My instinct tells me no, but just wondering what the consensus was on being admitted late off the waitlist vs being accepted early with regards to FA.
I believe REL said in an earlier post that scholarships get recycled. So as people get off waitlists at other schools and/or choose to go elsewhere, their scholarship money gets recycled and considered for other accepted students. There may be less money to give later but based on that I wouldn’t say you can’t get merit scholarships of the WL.

Seems to me that if they were going to throw money at you to convince you to go to UCF, they would've done so sooner.
Need based aid may be unchanged, but merit is probably all gone.
I appreciate you voicing your conjecture about throwing money around. Fortunately our committee does not do that and it therefore takes time to review applications and make offers. Selecting a medical program is a lot more than considering the cost and if that is your basis for selection you are likely missing the point of becoming a physician.

Reactions: 10 users
And this is why REL is a legend even though I’ve only known him a short time. Real REL and transparent

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else not yet receive a rejection that never received an interview invite? My portal is still saying eligible for interview selection though I think the last of the interview invites have been sent out.