You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Charles R Drew @ UCLA
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
topazyurbz
Full Member
I did and still trying to figure out what it is going lol.for those with II's, did y'all receive a VITA invite?
Just received an email to complete one, I wonder if this will replace our "scheduled" interview considering we're all scheduled on the same day/time.
It doesn't. VITA is a thing AAMC added (you know to make us suffer)for those with II's, did y'all receive a VITA invite?
Just received an email to complete one, I wonder if this will replace our "scheduled" interview considering we're all scheduled on the same day/time.
It's probably going to start off with everyone in the zoom meeting and then break off since there is the MMI portion. That's what other schools have been doing
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m excited that I’m getting interviews but when you see the amount of stuff that can go wrong, it’s discouraging...It doesn't. VITA is a thing AAMC added (you know to make us suffer)
It's probably going to start off with everyone in the zoom meeting and then break off since there is the MMI portion. That's what other schools have been doing
Right?!I’m excited that I’m getting interviews but when you see the amount of stuff that can go wrong, it’s discouraging...
It doesn't. VITA is a thing AAMC added (you know to make us suffer)
It's probably going to start off with everyone in the zoom meeting and then break off since there is the MMI portion. That's what other schools have been doing
Thanks for the tip, sounds like that's exactly what's going to happen.
Side note: check your emails, just got the zoom ID for the meeting on our interview day.
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
For those with interviews, do you have ties to socal?
Yes, with spaces. It was sooo hard for me. And the covid question is 1200 charactersSecondary is 800 with spaces I'm assuming? Figuring out whether a school counts spaces in their character count is the biggest struggle of prewriting lol
Secondary received, primary transmitted 7/10
cali_student
Full Member
IS my whole life, from norcal and went to undergraduate in socalFor those with interviews, do you have ties to socal?
For those with interviews, do you have ties to socal?
Yes, Los Angeles native! They do accept students from out of state as well though.
They posted the white coat ceremony from this year on youtube, quite a diverse class with varying experiences.
II received! Completed 08/26. OOS but have ties to the school from an internship, ORM (Filipinx, which is viewed as URM for Drew), 3.7, 519. This is my first II and lowkey falling super behind / discouraged about secondary progress so this was a great morale boost! I also received a VITA invite today but not sure if this is for Drew or pre-screening for another school....
Did you receive it today?II received! Completed 08/26. OOS but have ties to the school from an internship, ORM (Filipinx, which is viewed as URM for Drew), 3.7, 519. This is my first II and lowkey falling super behind / discouraged about secondary progress so this was a great morale boost! I also received a VITA invite today but not sure if this is for Drew or pre-screening for another school....
I just received an email saying my supplemental and FAP waiver were accepted... A week after submitting. Interviews are going through December per the email
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ayeeee PinoyII received! Completed 08/26. OOS but have ties to the school from an internship, ORM (Filipinx, which is viewed as URM for Drew), 3.7, 519. This is my first II and lowkey falling super behind / discouraged about secondary progress so this was a great morale boost! I also received a VITA invite today but not sure if this is for Drew or pre-screening for another school....
How did y'all approach "Describe your community and socioeconomic environment." Did you write a mini story about a volunteer experience in your community (working with the less fortunate residents of your community) or did you just go straight to the point with facts i.e "I live in a medically underserved rural community."
That question was so hard for me to brain storm but i spoke about the community I grew up inHow did y'all approach "Describe your community and socioeconomic environment." Did you write a mini story about a volunteer experience in your community (working with the less fortunate residents of your community) or did you just go straight to the point with facts i.e "I live in a medically underserved rural community."
Thank you. I kind of already did that for "Describe how your experience, community, and family background impact your understanding of underserved communities" since I've lived in the same area all my life so I will come up with something else lol. I feel like a lot of these questions ask the same thing in a roundabout way. Also thank you for answering all my questions. You have been very helpful in this thread.That question was so hard for me to brain storm but i spoke about the community I grew up in
No problem! I live in a different area from where I grew but it's also underserved so I didn't know which I should focus on lol i tried googling an everything for ideasThank you. I kind of already did that for "Describe how your experience, community, and family background impact your understanding of underserved communities" since I've lived in the same area all my life so I will come up with something else lol. I feel like a lot of these questions ask the same thing in a roundabout way. Also thank you for answering all my questions. You have been very helpful in this thread.
topazyurbz
Full Member
So do we need to complete the vita invitation first or will we be completing that during the interview?
Did you receive it today?
I was invited 09/01!
How do I access the secondary portal? I got an email inviting me to complete it with online instructions about how to pay the fee.
They should had gave you a link in the emailHow do I access the secondary portal? I got an email inviting me to complete it with online instructions about how to pay the fee.
I searched Charles Drew in my inbox several times yesterday and didn't find it. Then search UCLA and realized they sent the portal link in a separate email. Thanks!They should had gave you a link in the email
Last edited:
I am currently doing the secondary. Does an uneven performance in grades mean one semester? Two? Three?
Grades are arranged by year in AMCAS so unless they are combing through your transcripts, they wouldn't really know your semester by semester GPA. I would address if you have a downward trend at any point in college. So if you went from something like a 3.6 freshman year to a 3.0 sophomore year. Or address any grades below a C. So I answered the question looking at my year to year GPA (that seems to be the easiest way). But I mean it is up to you. If you had a semester that was significantly lower than others, you could maybe give a reason and what you changed afterwards.I am currently doing the secondary. Does an uneven performance in grades mean one semester? Two? Three?
Are people consistently still receiving secondaries right now? I know I am definitely on the neurotic train with this school, but as I said earlier it's one of my top choices. I just kind of want to make sure I still have a chance
I just received mine on Thursday and I was transmitted on 7/10. I don't know the process in which they're sending them, but it seems pretty irregular.Are people consistently still receiving secondaries right now? I know I am definitely on the neurotic train with this school, but as I said earlier it's one of my top choices. I just kind of want to make sure I still have a chance
I am currently doing the secondary. Does an uneven performance in grades mean one semester? Two? Three?
^^^^ what they said. I kinda did year to year but didn't say "well during this semester... Then" just overall issue, when I realized it, how I changed and what I've been doing to continue to grow and improveGrades are arranged by year in AMCAS so unless they are combing through your transcripts, they wouldn't really know your semester by semester GPA. I would address if you have a downward trend at any point in college. So if you went from something like a 3.6 freshman year to a 3.0 sophomore year. Or address any grades below a C. So I answered the question looking at my year to year GPA (that seems to be the easiest way). But I mean it is up to you. If you had a semester that was significantly lower than others, you could maybe give a reason and what you changed afterwards.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe you definitely still have a chance. Especially because it's September and they said they are giving interviews through December. I get how you feel 1000%Are people consistently still receiving secondaries right now? I know I am definitely on the neurotic train with this school, but as I said earlier it's one of my top choices. I just kind of want to make sure I still have a chance
Smallmarine
New Member
Thank you so much! It can be hard to say out loud but validation from other people helps a lot in this process hahaI believe you definitely still have a chance. Especially because it's September and they said they are giving interviews through December. I get how you feel 1000%
2 out of 3 of mine were sent before I got the secondary. They remind you to send letters after you submit the secondaryFor those who received a secondary, did you send letters with AMCAS or did you wait til you got the secondary?
II received!!!! Complete 8/22
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
For those who received secondaries and/or II here, did you apply to DGSOM as well and receive a secondary or II? I wonder if there is a connection somehow, like you're only considered for one or the other?
II received just now! and @Mdcsmitty I did not receive a complete email
Btw they only offered me one date and its on Saturday Oct 3rd lol
II received yesterday! So excited! Does anyone know when we should complete the VITA by? My interview is on 9/19.
Are people consistently still receiving secondaries right now? I know I am definitely on the neurotic train with this school, but as I said earlier it's one of my top choices. I just kind of want to make sure I still have a chance
I still haven’t received a secondary and I feel the same way
I haven’t done my VITA. When do you plan on doing it?II received yesterday! So excited! Does anyone know when we should complete the VITA by? My interview is on 9/19.
Have you considered emailing them? I know someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. I am wondering if I got screened out and if I should say something...? I'm not sure when to consider emailing them if I do that.I still haven’t received a secondary and I feel the same way
Secondary received 9/10; primary processed 8/21!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure...I want to be prepared for it so maybe 2-3 days before the interview? How about you?I haven’t done my VITA. When do you plan on doing it?
That’s what I was thinking. I hate that we even have to do this...I'm not sure...I want to be prepared for it so maybe 2-3 days before the interview? How about you?
Finally received a secondary!!! Complete 8/10
Wait what do you mean you were complete 8/10? Like verified?