2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask where you decided to go? I am potentially deciding between two schools and trying to decide what will be the best fit for me.
Yeah man I got accepted at Univeristy of Colorado. It’s my state school and super competitive. Total surprise... but I love the in state tuition and the program

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am applying this next cycle and I was just curious... Does it matter if I don't plan to practice medicine in Iowa? I know that DMU is private, but I just didn't know if it would count against me if I didn't want to stay there after graduation/residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this next cycle and I was just curious... Does it matter if I don't plan to practice medicine in Iowa? I know that DMU is private, but I just didn't know if it would count against me if I didn't want to stay there after graduation/residency.

nah, it's a private school, they get students from all over the country
I'm heading to a private DO school where I have zero connection to the area (and the school has few students from my state)

Reactions: 1 user
My question is, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the pro vs air or regular if someone were to only really use it for notes and all of them are compatible with the pencil nowadays? The pro is clearly the best of the three but it also costs the most
As long as you can download pdf's to it and use the pencil, that will definitely suffice! The only other thing I've used my iPad for was the VisibleBody app to study for anatomy lab, and I'm sure that's compatible with any device. I would say save money and go with whatever is cheaper! I use the GoodNotes app for note taking, some people use OneNote which you can sync to your OneDrive I think, which would be nice since DMU does everything through Microsoft.

Are you sure that their last interviews were conducted on March 26th?

Are you sure that their last interviews were conducted on March 26th?
That's what they told me in an email. They instructed me to complete my KIRA immediately because the last zoom sessions for this cycle would be 03/25 and 03/26. There were only 3 other students in my zoom session so I figure that was correct.

Has anyone that has interviewed in March been accepted?
I was waitlisted.

For those accepted, have you paid for the background check yet? I honestly cannot believe that we have to pay ~$100 for the background/drug screenings... honestly I'm starting to think that the rumors of 90% of incoming med students belonging to the top 15% of the US socioeconomic rung is true, for the application/admission process to remain so expensive. I wonder how much more there is to come. sigh... sorry I just had to rant

edit: $135 to be exact

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
For those accepted, have you paid for the background check yet? I honestly cannot believe that we have to pay ~$100 for the background/drug screenings... honestly I'm starting to think that the rumors of 90% of incoming med students belonging to the top 15% of the US socioeconomic rung is true, for the application/admission process to remain so expensive. I wonder how much more there is to come. sigh... sorry I just had to rant

America baby

I emailed DMU admissions and they said they're currently reviewing my application. Why would they say this if interviews are already over??

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed DMU admissions and they said they're currently reviewing my application. Why would they say this if interviews are already over??
Because technically every person on the waitlist is "under review". Thats what they told me when I emailed them

How long did you have to take the test?

Sincerely, Curiousity

Last edited:
  • Haha
Has anyone else not received their quartile ranking? Does this likely mean I’m in the bottom? I know they said no later than the 9th but I’m assuming they contact people in order of rank?

Has anyone else not received their quartile ranking? Does this likely mean I’m in the bottom? I know they said no later than the 9th but I’m assuming they contact people in order of rank?
Everyone receives their rank at the same time!

I haven't received mine either, I'm guessing they'll send them out tomorrow

Just got the email - first quartile!! Keeping all my fingers crossed now

Last edited:
Never been marked as “high priority” but I did receive an email saying I was in the second quartile.

I received the HP email shortly after being waitlisted back in February and was ranked first quartile today. However, the ranking email today did not mention HP. Is that to be expected or should I be concerned?

I received the HP email shortly after being waitlisted back in February and was ranked first quartile today. However, the ranking email today did not mention HP. Is that to be expected or should I be concerned?
You could always email Anna and verify which one it is!

Is second quartile a decent place to be for DMU? I’m tired of waiting tbh lol

Same here. I think they are just assuming you already know if you are HP. This way they can send 1 bulk email to all first quartile people. At least that's what I am guessing.

Not sure what all the high priority stuff is about, but received an email today saying that I was ranked in the first quartile!

Is second quartile a decent place to be for DMU? I’m tired of waiting tbh lol
Historically, yes. They tend to sift through their wait-list pretty quickly. That being said, as a current master's student and anxiously waiting wait-lister, they sent out an newsletter saying they have had a historically high amount l interviews and low movement this far. So like everyone everywhere is saying, this year is crazy and anything can happen! Hoping for the best for you!

• Care
Not sure what all the high priority stuff is about, but received an email today saying that I was ranked in the first quartile!
Awesome! Essentially, roughly 50ish people in the first quartile receive a High Priority status meaning that they will likely get an A. (Historically, many of those will choose another school, so it moves quickly through that list). Once those are gone through, they dive into first quartile and so on. DMU is know to get through their wait list quickly so first quartile is a great standing! You should be proud!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how much WL action there usually is? Like do they often get to the second or third quartile?

Second quartile 😭 this year has been so rough I really hope they have a lot of waitlist movement this year.

Reactions: 3 users
Just an update, as of April 9th , there has been no waitlist movement per Anna Cruz. She did mention that they expect to see a decent amount of movement in the next few weeks!

Reactions: 4 users
Also first quartile! No HP email with the initial WL. Fingers crossed, dudes.

So what’s the point of the July deadline if you have to start it on May 1st and complete it within 5 days?
I guess if you get accepted after May 1, it helps to have a July deadline?

Awesome! Essentially, roughly 50ish people in the first quartile receive a High Priority status meaning that they will likely get an A. (Historically, many of those will choose another school, so it moves quickly through that list). Once those are gone through, they dive into first quartile and so on. DMU is know to get through their wait list quickly so first quartile is a great standing! You should be proud!
It is worth a mention that they don't always pull in order. I was first Q last year non HP and I know at least one classmate that was 2nd quartile, but also know that not all HP 1st quartile got accepted last year. They rank people yes, but they also take into account your likelihood of attending, so your location, if you wrote an LOI, have any connections to the school, etc...

For those that sent an update or LOI, was the dmu app portal indicate the files were received? or was it just email confirmation?

I was ranked in the first quartile on the wait list, not high priority. I had intended to write a LOI with an update, but is it too late/would it even matter at this point?

I was ranked in the first quartile on the wait list, not high priority. I had intended to write a LOI with an update, but is it too late/would it even matter at this point?
I'm not sure how much it would help but expressing interest can't hurt you. They preferably would offer admission to someone that would accept.