2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite just now, very unexpected given that I was complete sometime i think in July and am way past their 90-day review they had initially mentioned haha. Will be declining though, good luck everyone! :)
LM ~66 btw

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hi im currently on the waitlist. Does anyone know when we find out if we getting off waitlist and also i was wondering if anyone knows how to send updates to the school about new experiences. Thanks!
Current first year student here! Last year there was a lot of waitlist movement around May and June as final seat deposits were due for other schools, and a very steady trickle throughout the summer. I was waitlisted and sent a letter of intent, and a few updates including my final grades and work experiences. I just typed mine up into a word document and sent them as a PDF in an email to the admissions office. You can call the admissions office to ask what they would prefer. I really think sending updates shows your interest and increases your chances of getting off the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 user
got this today too, was wondering if you guys know what type of movement we should expect?
Last year they made it all the way through first quartile and a few into second quartile. Some years they make it to the third quartile, some they didn't make it through the first, it just really depends! I think you can find past year's threads on SDN if you're curious. I would recommend sending updates to show your continued interest, and if DMU is your top choice, send a letter of intent!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the likelihood of having orientation/classes online this fall?
I think it's going to depend on when we have access to vaccines, and the call will probably be made over the summer. Most labs are currently in person and I don't see that changing. Whether lectures and orientation will be held in person, I honestly have no idea!

I just got a hold email - I was kinda surprised and confused like why a hold instead of a rejection at this point in the cycle?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite just now, very unexpected given that I was complete sometime i think in July and am way past their 90-day review they had initially mentioned haha. Will be declining though, good luck everyone! :)
LM ~66 btw
Do you remember what days they were offering for interviews?

Current first year student here! Last year there was a lot of waitlist movement around May and June as final seat deposits were due for other schools, and a very steady trickle throughout the summer. I was waitlisted and sent a letter of intent, and a few updates including my final grades and work experiences. I just typed mine up into a word document and sent them as a PDF in an email to the admissions office. You can call the admissions office to ask what they would prefer. I really think sending updates shows your interest and increases your chances of getting off the waitlist!
Thanks for the response, I recently just sent them an update of a new experience that I have taken on. Should I also send them my grades from the fall semester? And if so is it fine to send in a PDF or would they need a official transcript?

Has everyone that has interviewed recently been interviewing for open seats or the waitlist?

Has everyone that has interviewed recently been interviewing for open seats or the waitlist?
They told us during the 2/19 group session that they definitely still had open seats. They actually said the exact number but I can’t remember it atm. I just remember it was pretty high but less than 200

They told us during the 2/19 group session that they definitely still had open seats. They actually said the exact number but I can’t remember it atm. I just remember it was pretty high but less than 200
This makes me feel so much better!! Thank you so much!!

• Care
Does anyone else have a group DO interview event on their portal for late March? I had already interviewed in January and had my Zoom group session 02/04 so I was not too sure if this was something else to complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I called after I was notified that I had been waitlisted. They said this year was weird and they loved my application but acceptances had already exceeded their open seats. I think most people are interviewing for wait-list seats now, but who knows.

So, I called after I was notified that I had been waitlisted. They said this year was weird and they loved my application but acceptances had already exceeded their open seats. I think most people are interviewing for wait-list seats now, but who knows.
Dang, this is what I was worried about. I'm sad they don't have any open seats now

When were you told this?

Thanks for the response, I recently just sent them an update of a new experience that I have taken on. Should I also send them my grades from the fall semester? And if so is it fine to send in a PDF or would they need a official transcript?
If it boosts your overall GPA or you had a really good semester, I definitely would send them! I asked the admissions office about this last year, they said just a pdf unofficial transcript is fine for an update, and they will only ask for an official transcript if you're offered a seat. You could call or email the admissions office to make sure their preference hasn't changed

When do admitted students hear about scholarships, specifically merit based? I have received my financial package which only included loan approval amounts.

When do admitted students hear about scholarships, specifically merit based? I have received my financial package which only included loan approval amounts.
As far as I understand, scholarships through DMU are offered when an acceptance is offered. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Alternate list. Zoom 2/12

How do you know what quartile of the list you are?

Reactions: 1 users
Alternate list. Zoom 2/12

How do you know what quartile of the list you are?
+1, same zoom session. On their Alternate List FAQ page, it says they'll email us with what quartile we're in, but it doesn't say when.

I haven't been following this thread for a bit so idk if this has already been said -- want share that I got an email that said their last zoom interview events are on 3/25 and 3/26.

Is there anyone on the waitlist here? I am going to withdraw my A soon

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email telling me to confirm my interest in staying on the waitlist.

Additionally, the email said we will be emailed quartile rankings no later than April 9th.

Reactions: 5 users
Is there anyone on the waitlist here? I am going to withdraw my A soon
Can I ask where you decided to go? I am potentially deciding between two schools and trying to decide what will be the best fit for me.

i was put on pre-II hold on Jan 11, any chance I'll receive a late II? Anyone been taken off this WL recently for an II?

I was wondering if someone could explain how DMU does its grading during the clinical years? Specifically, what are the factors that are taken into account when giving someone their scores?

I would like to hear more about how they grade clinical years, as well!

Also, does anyone have a recommendation as to which iPad to purchase? :)

Last edited:
I would like to hear more about how they grade clinical years, as well!

Also, does anyone have a recommendation as to which iPad to purchase?
+1

I tried looking around on Google and YouTube but the answers are varied because all of the newest ones can use the Apple pencil. Just commenting so I can see what the answer is that they give lol

+1

I tried looking around on Google and YouTube but the answers are varied because all of the newest ones can use the Apple pencil. Just commenting so I can see what the answer is that they give lol
I have an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. It's a few years old from undergrad, but it works great!

I have an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. It's a few years old from undergrad, but it works great!
My question is, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the pro vs air or regular if someone were to only really use it for notes and all of them are compatible with the pencil nowadays? The pro is clearly the best of the three but it also costs the most

My question is, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the pro vs air or regular if someone were to only really use it for notes and all of them are compatible with the pencil nowadays? The pro is clearly the best of the three but it also costs the most
if you’re only gonna use it for notes, i say get the Air. that’s what i’m doing!