2020-2021 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to plug that there's an accepted students GroupMe! Look on the FB page and you'll easily find it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all,

Based on SDN advice I booked a meeting with the FIU financial aid office for April 27th. As an OOS student at FIU with a cheaper IS A, the cost is a big concern for me. Currently given a standard 10-year repayment the difference between FIU and this school is coming out to 216k. I really would love to come to FIU and I want to know if there is anything they can tell me before April 30th regarding perhaps giving me IS tuition rates or if I can receive scholarship information early? Any advice for my situation or how I should convey these points during the meeting? Thanks all

Reactions: 1 user
Also for FIU there is no requirement to select PTE on April 30th, correct? They just require a $100 deposit to hold the acceptance after that date. The only hard deadline is selecting CTE by June 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also for FIU there is no requirement to select PTE on April 30th, correct? They just require a $100 deposit to hold the acceptance after that date. The only hard deadline is selecting CTE by June 15th?

That is how i interpreted the acceptance protocol. I will be at in person session with them tomorrow and can report back if i hear anything different.

Hello all,

Based on SDN advice I booked a meeting with the FIU financial aid office for April 27th. As an OOS student at FIU with a cheaper IS A, the cost is a big concern for me. Currently given a standard 10-year repayment the difference between FIU and this school is coming out to 216k. I really would love to come to FIU and I want to know if there is anything they can tell me before April 30th regarding perhaps giving me IS tuition rates or if I can receive scholarship information early? Any advice for my situation or how I should convey these points during the meeting? Thanks all

I would be genuine like you stated here. You really like FIU, and while cost is not the only variable to consider 216,000 dollar difference is substantial.

Miami is an expensive place to live. So this adds a lot to the cost. Perhaps share with them the cost of the other school, and if that other school offered you a scholarship, consider sharing that offer letter to them.

Best of luck.

Is it too late to send a letter of intent? I was waitlisted in late Feb. I have an acceptance at another school but I'm starting to realize I rather just stay near home

Has anyone heard from the scholarship committee recently? Do you think there will be any scholarships awarded between now and April 30th?

Has anyone heard from the scholarship committee recently? Do you think there will be any scholarships awarded between now and April 30th?
I believe they are awarded sometime after April 30th but not certain

If anyone can post in the next coming months if they are accepted off the waitlist it would be appreciated 🤗

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on the WL hear back? They said in their WL email that "the Wait List will move quite quickly as we approach the April 30th deadline"

They have said we have 2 weeks to pay many times
Do you have to commit to enroll to pay through AMCAS? I want to maintain my waitlist position elsewhere and can't do so if that's required. Going to shoot them an email tbh.

Do you have to commit to enroll to pay through AMCAS? I want to maintain my waitlist position elsewhere and can't do so if that's required. Going to shoot them an email tbh.
Nope, payment deadline is may 14th, CTE deadline is June 15th I believe

Anyone on the waitlist hear back since the April 30th deadline hit?

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to you all and hopefully someone gets a call soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew my acceptance as well. Take care and good luck class of 2025!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi I know I posted this earlier but if you guys receive any aid/scholarships/grants please update the rest of us on this thread!!! Thank you in advance <3

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I know I posted this earlier but if you guys receive any aid/scholarships/grants please update the rest of us on this thread!!! Thank you in advance <3
Yeah I’m also waiting on scholarship info, I wish they would give out the info faster

Someone I know got a 25% scholarship call earlier last week. I called financial aid and they said over the next month, as people withdraw, they will reallocate aid! (25%, 50%, and 100% tuition scholarships)

I emailed admissions and the financial aid office for an estimate of when they would be released and got nothing

I apologize if someone has already asked, but has WL movement here started?

What is FIU's class size this year supposed to be?
I believe it is 120, there are currently 145 students in the accepted students group chat so for those wondering I assume there is still a ways to go before the waitlist starts moving

I believe it is 120, there are currently 145 students in the accepted students group chat so for those wondering I assume there is still a ways to go before the waitlist starts moving
Is there a groupme? Where can I find this info? Thank you!

I know a lot of our class is on waitlists/still not 100% about coming.

I know a lot of our class is on waitlists/still not 100% about coming.
A recent poll in the groupme (only about half of the chat answered) showed ~18% have not fully committed to FIU yet

Did everyone on WL receive email about graduate certificate?

Has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist without emailing FIU and expressing interest?

Context: I remember back during the interview day I think they said if you get waitlisted, you should email them and say you want to remain on the waitlist.

When I asked admissions about any updates on the waitlist, they said there has been no waitlist movement as of right now. Judging by the fact someone here mentioned that there are 145 students in an accepted group chat... if I had to guess it might take longer than expected to see people come off the waitlist just yet. But still holding onto hope that spots will open following the deposit deadline and CTE deadline!!

When I asked admissions about any updates on the waitlist, they said there has been no waitlist movement as of right now. Judging by the fact someone here mentioned that there are 145 students in an accepted group chat... if I had to guess it might take longer than expected to see people come off the waitlist just yet. But still holding onto hope that spots will open following the deposit deadline and CTE deadline!!
Wasn't the big day supposed to be 4/30? :oops:

I also thought the same but now from what I understand from the AAMC website (someone pls correct me if I'm wrong) is that on April 30th the CTE option became available to applicants but it doesn't force students to make that decision. I believe it's up to each individual school to set up their own deadline when every student HAS to make a final decision to CTE, right now it's just optional.

so 4/30 was the deadline for plan to enroll (PTE), meaning that everyone with > 1 acceptance had to narrow down to that one acceptance but could sit on other waitlists. Thus, FIU would only have movement after 4/30 if people who were accepted to FIU chose another medical school that they were already accepted to and withdrew from FIU. From now on, the only WL movement that SHOULD happen slowly would be as people who are accepted at FIU get accepted off other schools waitlists and withdraw from FIU. Once FIU's CTE deadline date nears (6/15/2021) that gets less and less likely, and after the CTE date if the class is full, there should be no more waitlist movement barring a family emergency or something else that requires a student to withdraw. The glimmer of hope for people on FIU's waitlist that have no other acceptances should be that some people, me included, will have to withdraw from FIU's waitlist when my accepted school's CTE deadline hits prior to FIU's (6/1 for me), removing us from the WL and essentially self-narrowing down the WL to those who don't have another acceptance. This should increase your chances a little bit theoretically.

The fact that there hasn't been any movement is a little discouraging :(

Reactions: 5 users
Is the consensus that there won’t be any WL movement (if any) until the CTE date?

Just wanted to say that two people have left the GroupMe (one person I know personally). Stay hopeful y'all. You never know!