2020-2021 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Illinois

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
Same prompts as last year, plus a covid essay (no word limit explicitly stated)

1. Describe a stressful situation that you have experienced. Please detail your reaction, how you managed the situation, and what you learned that will help you handle a similar circumstance in the future. (no word limit)

2. In addition to training as a competent physician please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply. Provide a short, 300-500 words, statement on your interest and how you see it influencing your learning.

3. Please describe any abrupt changes that you experienced in your preparation for application for medical school due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (no word limit)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OOS secondary received

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received, OOS

@TheDataKing

Same challenge prompt as last year, but they revised the second question and added a covid essay (no word limits explicitly stated on anything)

1. Describe a stressful situation that you have experienced. Please detail your reaction, how you managed the situation, and what you learned that will help you handle a similar circumstance in the future. (no word limit)

2. In addition to training as a competent physician please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply. [Essentially, answer up to two of the following questions, no word limit stated]
  • Simulation – Why is simulation in medical education important? How do you anticipate simulation will affect your medical education? Where do you see simulation playing a role in your medical career?
  • Clinical Research (research in healthcare delivery) - If you have previously conducted clinical research, describe how that has affected your view of your future medical career? If you have not conducted clinical research previously, describe your interest and what has fostered it.
  • Basic science research - If you have previously conducted basic science research, describe how that has affected your view of your future medical career? If you have not conducted basic science research previously, describe your interest and what has fostered it.
  • Interdisciplinary collaboration- Why is interdisciplinary collaboration important in the practice of modern medicine? How does interdisciplinary collaboration relate to your vision of your professional career?
  • Healthcare disparities- What is your definition of a healthcare disparity? Why is addressing healthcare disparities important for your career as a physician?
  • Academic medicine- What is your definition of academic medicine? Please share the aspects of academic medicine that are appealing to you.
  • Global Health- What stimulated your interest in global health? How do you anticipate incorporating global health into your practice of medicine?
  • Community Health - Urban - What is your understanding of some of the challenges regarding community health in the urban setting. How does this tie into your professional aspirations?
  • Community Health - Rural - What is your understanding of some of the challenges regarding community health in the rural setting. How does this tie into your professional aspirations?
  • Innovation Medicine - What stimulated your interest in innovation medicine? Provide an example in which you led or participated in innovation in your own education or career?

3. Please describe any abrupt changes that you experienced in your preparation for application for medical school due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (no word limit)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wHo's exCiteD for VITA??????? Can't wait to get ranked by artificial intelligence at one of my top choice schools!!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I expected the "select two areas of interest" portion to just involve checking the boxes and then filling out the 300-500 word statement, but it turns out that when you check the boxes, it asks you to fill out another portion relating to the areas of interest. I've been looking all over question boards, but I can't find any answers to how long these are supposed to be. There is no word limit listed, and the boxes seem to limit you to somewhere around 500 words, but it seems weird to me to write 500 words for each area of interest, and then another 300-500 words explaining your areas of interest.

Has anyone else decided what to do with this? It seems like I should either answer the specific questions (different for each area of interest) briefly (~3-5 sentences), or do a more typical long form secondary. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
I expected the "select two areas of interest" portion to just involve checking the boxes and then filling out the 300-500 word statement, but it turns out that when you check the boxes, it asks you to fill out another portion relating to the areas of interest. I've been looking all over question boards, but I can't find any answers to how long these are supposed to be. There is no word limit listed, and the boxes seem to limit you to somewhere around 500 words, but it seems weird to me to write 500 words for each area of interest, and then another 300-500 words explaining your areas of interest.

Has anyone else decided what to do with this? It seems like I should either answer the specific questions (different for each area of interest) briefly (~3-5 sentences), or do a more typical long form secondary. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

+1 to this as well. From what I thought I understood it was a 300-500 word essay for both areas of interest combined but then the boxes show up with no word limits as well as the extra 300-500 words explaining...my areas of interest?

Is anyone international applying to UIC?

It says that additional documents are needed (e.g. proof of visa status) but I'm not sure what documents are needed in order to have a complete application. I'm asking because I'd rather use my OPT EAD card cos lol some circumstances due to COVID

Confused about this as well! Might email someone in admissions to find out, because I think it should just be 300-500 for each interest, not an additional third essay

I wrote about 5-7 sentences for each area of interest and went more in depth in the 300-500 word portion!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote about 5-7 sentences for each area of interest and went more in depth in the 300-500 word portion!

There might have been another way tho but I already submitted mine so I guess whoopsies lol

Hmm I think I would feel weird answering the prompts with just 1-2 sentences per question, but I guess that does work! I ended up emailing admissions asking what they expect in the 300-500 word prompt that isn't included in the questions, so I'll let you guys know what they say.

In state, secondary recieved but the portal wont work. I selected to create an account and it claims that it sent an email with my password. Said email never arrived and wasn't in spam.

The first prompt doesn't seem to have a word/character limit?

Confused about this as well! Might email someone in admissions to find out, because I think it should just be 300-500 for each interest, not an additional third essay

I just checked and the third 300-500 word essay no longer shows up. Are you guys planning on doing 300-500 words for each of the interest essays then since it has no word count?

I just checked and the third 300-500 word essay no longer shows up. Are you guys planning on doing 300-500 words for each of the interest essays then since it has no word count?

So it was a technical issue? Will be interesting for those who already submitted... but yes will shoot for 300 words per interest.

I just filled out my secondary and there was no longer a third 300-500 word essay anymore. I just answered the interest essays using 300-500 words each.

Interesting that they changed this but didn't reply to my email ;) But yeah, I'll go with 300-500 words per interest essay. My guess is that third "prompt" was supposed to be the original instructions for the two interest essays.

If you select interest in one of the scholarly concentrations like GMED or UMED, should there be a prompt regarding that? When I click on the section for the specific scholarly concentration, it just takes me back to the regular secondary.

I logged into the portal pretty much immediately when I got the secondary email and I could have sworn the second question included the joint 300-500 word statement like last year.. went to submit it just now and noticed that the prompt changed. Did anyone else see the 300-500 word prompt initially or am I going crazy?

@TheDataKing I edited my comment above detailing the secondary prompts to reflect what they are in the portal now.

I logged into the portal pretty much immediately when I got the secondary email and I could have sworn the second question included the joint 300-500 word statement like last year.. went to submit it just now and noticed that the prompt changed. Did anyone else see the 300-500 word prompt initially or am I going crazy?

@TheDataKing I edited my comment above detailing the secondary prompts to reflect what they are in the portal now.
Yes, the website changed to be only two separate boxes for each interest. The 300-500 word prompt was removed. Admissions still hasn't replied to my email asking about these prompts.. loving the clear communication :)

lol I submitted my application before they made that change so now I just have two very vague answers in the two separate interest boxes, and my longer explanation about both is gone forever :)

lol I submitted my application before they made that change so now I just have two very vague answers in the two separate interest boxes, and my longer explanation about both is gone forever :)
Doesn’t hurt to email them and explain what happened. After all it was a glitch on their part.

Doesn’t hurt to email them and explain what happened. After all it was a glitch on their part.
I second this. It's honestly crazy that they haven't released anything explaining this change. I'm sure you aren't the only one whose response has been lost. Email them your situation and ask if you can upload your original response as an "update" in the Document Upload section.

Is there a character limit on these prompts? I don't see one. I have been focusing on studying for my mcat on the 18th, so I'm a bit behind.

Is there a character limit on these prompts? I don't see one. I have been focusing on studying for my mcat on the 18th, so I'm a bit behind.
No character limit! But previous years were 300-500 words so I'd probably stay around that.

Do you guys know if we can submit the secondary application without submitting the applications for the Scholarly Concentrations like GMED? Is the admission for UIC COM also based on the application for Scholarly Concentrations?

Do you guys know if we can submit the secondary application without submitting the applications for the Scholarly Concentrations like GMED? Is the admission for UIC COM also based on the application for Scholarly Concentrations?
I submitted without indicating an interest, mostly because when I clicked on the concentration it's a broken link and takes you back to the login page. There was no way to access the application for the concentrations.

That happened to be in the beginning, but when I was about to submit my application yesterday, it showed me the additional prompts. If can submit my secondary application without answering the concentration prompts, I want to submit my application

It says that additional documents are needed (e.g. proof of visa status) but I'm not sure what documents are needed in order to have a complete application. I'm asking because I'd rather use my OPT EAD card cos lol some circumstances due to COVID

My friend did last year and he was Canadian. (I also am and am applying this cycle.) Illinois asked to include the I-20 form which you should have if you did OPT. You can just use the most updated one that include your OPT program dates.

That happened to be in the beginning, but when I was about to submit my application yesterday, it showed me the additional prompts. If can submit my secondary application without answering the concentration prompts, I want to submit my application
I don't think you can fill these prompts out after. If I were you I would at least select one area of interest and write about it.

Remember out-of-state tuition for this school is 110-120K per year and international students are generally not eligible for financial aid. Just a factor to keep in mind.

I don't think you can fill these prompts out after. If I were you I would at least select one area of interest and write about it.
I checked the box for CMED and, like another poster mentioned, the links were broken so I couldn't see the prompts or answer anything about it. I was still able to submit though. I just checked too and when I click the tab for CMED in the portal, it kicks me out to the login page. Do the ADCOMS know this? (My app was marked complete today btw)

I checked the box for CMED and, like another poster mentioned, the links were broken so I couldn't see the prompts or answer anything about it. I was still able to submit though. I just checked too and when I click the tab for CMED in the portal, it kicks me out to the login page. Do the ADCOMS know this? (My app was marked complete today btw)
I hope the ADCOMS know what they are doing. Apparently they haven't been responding to emails either

• Wow
I hope the ADCOMS know what they are doing. Apparently they haven't been responding to emails either
Yeah, they still have not replied to my first email asking about that weird extra 300-500 words prompt. I'm not too optimistic that they will respond ever, lol. I find it ironic that they have all these mistakes on the application, and on their website ("Upcoming Events" is a broken link), yet they're still advertising for their "admissions" webinars.

On that note, if anyone is interested UICOM has an upcoming webinar on Virtual Etiquette where they will be discussing tips on professionalism during VITA and virtual MMI. It's August 5th from 4-5 PM, you can register here: UNDERSTANDING VIRTUAL ETIQUETTE

Is selecting a scholarly concentration required for completion of the secondary?

I just submitted my secondary and the letters are marked as not received despite them being sent. They say in their their Supplemental Received email that
"submission of at least three letters of recommendation (LORs are approved and updated manually, allow additional time for this to be reflected in the portal.)" so I'm guessing there's going to be a waiting period till the application is marked as complete

I just submitted my secondary and the letters are marked as not received despite them being sent. They say in their their Supplemental Received email that
"submission of at least three letters of recommendation (LORs are approved and updated manually, allow additional time for this to be reflected in the portal.)" so I'm guessing there's going to be a waiting period till the application is marked as complete

Same here. My letters for all other schools are marked as received except here.

Same here. My letters for all other schools are marked as received except here.
In my document status page, it says received LOR, but in my status page it says not received LOR. I'm confused.

I selected an interest in the UMED Scholarly Concentration.

The page gives me three additional prompts, but... two of them are identical. Should I e-mail the school and ask about this?

Attachments

• 1595720920710.png
    1595720920710.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 192

The page gives me three additional prompts, but... two of them are identical. Should I e-mail the school and ask about this?
Hmmm I submitted on July 19th and didn't see these prompts when I selected UMED....

who designed their application I just wanna talk

Reactions: 3 users