You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Michigan State
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think it's worth a shot if your stats arent super low and your ECs are good&diverseWorth applying here if I am OOS, but in a neighboring state?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you referring to MSUCOM (osteopathic) or MSUCHM (allopathic)? This is the allopathic forum@people who received secondaries, when did you submit your primary app to MSUCOM? I submitted mine on July 8th so jw if they're submitting secondaries in waves
I was wondering if any current med students or incoming M1 could shine some light on what the OOS students at your school have in common. What is the medical school looking for in OOS applicants, given the school's mission seems to tie closely into serving the Michigan community?
*An OOS applicant here, highly interested in practicing internal med in underserved areas (including Michigan. I don't have a home state haha)
Worth applying here if I am OOS, but in a neighboring state?
I think it's worth a shot if your stats arent super low and your ECs are good&diverse
MSU is happy to have OOS students, there are many - Calfornia obviously representing strong as they do everywhere. A trend in my year that I've noticed is that most OOS students are good applicants on paper, have ties to michigan/clerkship communities, or are a part of one of the certificate programs - Rural, Undeserved, public health, etc etc.
Please also keep in mind that MSU is expensive....doubly so for OOS students.
How much is tuition for OOS? Not sure if MSAR is updated.MSU is happy to have OOS students, there are many - Calfornia obviously representing strong as they do everywhere. A trend in my year that I've noticed is that most OOS students are good applicants on paper, have ties to michigan/clerkship communities, or are a part of one of the certificate programs - Rural, Undeserved, public health, etc etc.
Please also keep in mind that MSU is expensive....doubly so for OOS students.
How much is tuition for OOS? Not sure if MSAR is updated.
Double what ever the instate tuition is - OOS friends will have north of 400K by the time they're done.
D
deleted1040408
does anyone else's portal say "forwarded for preliminary review on X/XX/XXXX"
yupdoes anyone else's portal say "forwarded for preliminary review on X/XX/XXXX"
D
deleted1040408
what's your date?
7/20what's your date?
has anyone gone past this yet? ive also been on this stage since like 7/28 lol
has anyone gone past this yet? ive also been on this stage since like 7/28 lol
It will stay as "forwarded for preliminary review" until you get an II, are put on hold or rejected
when would they start sending out IIs? Any guesses?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does MSU accept update letters?
Only post-interview if you’ve been put on alternate list, I believe
Can any current students talk about any resources for LGBTQ+ students? And what it's like to live at their campuses as an LGBTQ+ person? I cannot find any LGBTQ+ student group on the MSUCHM page (the only school I've found that doesn't have one!) and frankly, I've gotten some nasty looks holding my partner's hand in some of the cities where they have campuses. I can cope with being in a not-very-affirming city, as long as I don't feel unsupported or alone as an LGBTQ+ student at the medical school.
I hope I'm just jumping to conclusions, and someone can correct me! I don't want to drop the $95 on the secondary if it won't be a good place for me for 4 years.
Hey TabbyTuxy, I'm a current M1 at the East Lansing campus and I am part of the LGBTQ+ community. I think that MSUCHM has an incredibly accepting community. We have faculty members that are LGBTQ+ and we also have an LGBTQ+ group chat with upper classpeople so that you can connect to the LGBTQ+ community. We have had a lot of positive initiatives come from the school as well and in our orientation this year we had a 3 hour long, student run workshop with how to work with LGBTQ+ students and patients, which was absolutely wonderful.
Also I totally understand the fears of not wanting to be at the Grand Rapids campus, I had the exact same fear. The good news is for some reason people want Grand Rapids way more than East Lansing, so almost every year most of the 2/3 of the applicants attempt to go to the Grand Rapids campus, and the remaining 1/3 of the applicants attempt to go to the East Lansing campus, so most people who ask for East Lansing get East Lansing. Although I can't technically guarantee the East Lansing campus, if you ask for the East Lansing campus you will probably get it.
Even if you do get the GR campus, some of our LGBTQ+ faculty live there and you will not be alone as an LGBTQ+ student at GR. I would be shocked if you were.
Sorry if this was a long response, but I was hoping to assuage your fears regarding being an LGBTQ+ student. In sum, we have great LGBTQ+ representation from the entire spectrum of gender and sexuality and I think we have a nice support system. Please feel free to DM me if you have any other concerns.
Thanks so much for this thorough reply! Your location point is great, and certainly something I will consider.Hey TabbyTuxy, I'm a current M1 at the East Lansing campus and I am part of the LGBTQ+ community. I think that MSUCHM has an incredibly accepting community. We have faculty members that are LGBTQ+ and we also have an LGBTQ+ group chat with upper classpeople so that you can connect to the LGBTQ+ community. We have had a lot of positive initiatives come from the school as well and in our orientation this year we had a 3 hour long, student run workshop with how to work with LGBTQ+ students and patients, which was absolutely wonderful.
Also I totally understand the fears of not wanting to be at the Grand Rapids campus, I had the exact same fear. The good news is for some reason people want Grand Rapids way more than East Lansing, so almost every year most of the 2/3 of the applicants attempt to go to the Grand Rapids campus, and the remaining 1/3 of the applicants attempt to go to the East Lansing campus, so most people who ask for East Lansing get East Lansing. Although I can't technically guarantee the East Lansing campus, if you ask for the East Lansing campus you will probably get it.
Even if you do get the GR campus, some of our LGBTQ+ faculty live there and you will not be alone as an LGBTQ+ student at GR. I would be shocked if you were.
Sorry if this was a long response, but I was hoping to assuage your fears regarding being an LGBTQ+ student. In sum, we have great LGBTQ+ representation from the entire spectrum of gender and sexuality and I think we have a nice support system. Please feel free to DM me if you have any other concerns.
Do you select campus once you are accepted?Hey TabbyTuxy, I'm a current M1 at the East Lansing campus and I am part of the LGBTQ+ community. I think that MSUCHM has an incredibly accepting community. We have faculty members that are LGBTQ+ and we also have an LGBTQ+ group chat with upper classpeople so that you can connect to the LGBTQ+ community. We have had a lot of positive initiatives come from the school as well and in our orientation this year we had a 3 hour long, student run workshop with how to work with LGBTQ+ students and patients, which was absolutely wonderful.
Also I totally understand the fears of not wanting to be at the Grand Rapids campus, I had the exact same fear. The good news is for some reason people want Grand Rapids way more than East Lansing, so almost every year most of the 2/3 of the applicants attempt to go to the Grand Rapids campus, and the remaining 1/3 of the applicants attempt to go to the East Lansing campus, so most people who ask for East Lansing get East Lansing. Although I can't technically guarantee the East Lansing campus, if you ask for the East Lansing campus you will probably get it.
Even if you do get the GR campus, some of our LGBTQ+ faculty live there and you will not be alone as an LGBTQ+ student at GR. I would be shocked if you were.
Sorry if this was a long response, but I was hoping to assuage your fears regarding being an LGBTQ+ student. In sum, we have great LGBTQ+ representation from the entire spectrum of gender and sexuality and I think we have a nice support system. Please feel free to DM me if you have any other concerns.
sleepytimes
Full Member
Just got an II!
LyzzyM 67, IS
LyzzyM 67, IS
Just got an II!
LyzzyM 67, IS
Congrats!
When were you complete?
sleepytimes
Full Member
Submitted 8/3, Complete 8/7Congrats!
When were you complete?
congrats!! do you mind sharing your stats? mcat and gpaSubmitted 8/3, Complete 8/7
Hello, I have!Has anyone heard back regarding the Early Assurance decisions?
Is everyone who got IIs today ED applicants?
Do you select campus once you are accepted?
Yeah we put in what we wanted for our campus at around April I want to say.
D
deleted1066477
Those who got an II, did you receive an email or did you check the MSU portal?
sleepytimes
Full Member
I received an emailThose who got an II, did you receive an email or did you check the MSU portal?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1066477
Okay, Thank you! Congrats on your II!I received an email
sasasa9195
New Member
sleepytimes
Full Member
Not an ED applicantWere you an ED applicant?
II just now!! Ahh so excited!
Complete 7/25, IS!
Complete 7/25, IS!
livelypenguin
Full Member
Does anyone know if MSU's interviews are in person this year?
I'm sure this information is easily found on their website. That being said, they are virtual.Does anyone know if MSU's interviews are in person this year?
premed1387
Full Member
Where were you able to find that the interview is virtual? I only found this link which seems to say that it is in person at either the East Lansing or Grand Rapids locations.I'm sure this information is easily found on their website. That being said, they are virtual.
Where were you able to find that the interview is virtual? I only found this link which seems to say that it is in person at either the East Lansing or Grand Rapids locations.
"Given the uncertainty surrounding coronavirus behavior and public health experts’ projection models, your health and safety remain our number one priority. After weighing the anticipated risks and benefits of onsite CHM programming and interviews, CHM Admissions has made the decision to move forward with implementing online programming and interviews for the entire AMCAS 2020-21 application cycle given the unpredictable behavior of the novel coronavirus. CHM Admissions is confident that our programming and interviews will remain helpful and informational to and for everyone. We look forward to further developing this interactive online experience!"
I think it is safe to assume that every US medical school will be conducting virtual interviews for the entirety of this cycle.
premed1387
Full Member
Ah, I see. Thank you. Do you know if they will be sending the invitations to the online call closer to the actual interview date?
"Given the uncertainty surrounding coronavirus behavior and public health experts’ projection models, your health and safety remain our number one priority. After weighing the anticipated risks and benefits of onsite CHM programming and interviews, CHM Admissions has made the decision to move forward with implementing online programming and interviews for the entire AMCAS 2020-21 application cycle given the unpredictable behavior of the novel coronavirus. CHM Admissions is confident that our programming and interviews will remain helpful and informational to and for everyone. We look forward to further developing this interactive online experience!"
I think it is safe to assume that every US medical school will be conducting virtual interviews for the entirety of this cycle.
II received yesterday! IS, not ED. Completed 7/19.
Anyone OOS get an II yet?
D
deleted1066477
Congrats! What is your stats?II received yesterday! IS, not ED. Completed 7/19.
LetMeINNNNNN
Full Member
I was "forwarded for preliminary review" at the beginning of last month, any timeline for when this status should change?
OOS btw
OOS btw
I was "forwarded for preliminary review" at the beginning of last month, any timeline for when this status should change?
OOS btw
I think they interview most oos a little later in the cycle but who knows for this cycle [emoji2375]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LetMeINNNNNN
Full Member
I think they interview most oos a little later in the cycle but who knows for this cycle [emoji2375]
Great, hopefully we get our time to shine soon!
Anyone else a reapplicant? If so how much did you change your secondary answers?
Completely rewritten.
D
deleted1021716
Anyone know if the interview is open or closed-file?
JustOneAcceptancePls
Full Member
Alright, so nothing exciting like an II, but my status went from "forwarded for preliminary review on 8/31" to forwarded for preliminary review on "8/29"? So i'm just gonna take that as they are aware of my file / have seen it at least since they changed the date lol