You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Michigan State
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
OOS first R!!
OOS first R!!
Sorry to hear, when were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NoEyeEyeGuy
Full Member
I also just got the OOS pre interview rejection. Was forwarded for prelim review on 8/4/20. didnt see any status change until today's email. Sad first outright rejection. feelsbadman
Eh it’s all good, I’ve been lucky with my cycle so far, an R keeps the cycle exciting. And complete 7/17Sorry to hear, when were you complete?
poptarts5921
Full Member
+1... wasn't expecting that today. Good luck to everyone!OOS first R!!
NoEyeEyeGuy
Full Member
my ego feels a bit better after seeing the MSAR data for OOS. only around 4% of applicants OOS are interviewed. HAHAHAH whatever helps me sleep at night.
First R as well! OOS complete 8/2.
D
deleted1058524
OOS R, complete 9/23
did you all get emails for R?
Anon_medgirl
Full Member
Sorry to hear that! Do you mind sharing your stats? I am IS too.Got my first R today from MSU (IS applicant complete 8/25) bummerrrr :/
OOS R this morning. GL.
poptarts5921
Full Member
Yup!did you all get emails for R?
Sorry to hear that! Do you mind sharing your stats? I am IS too.
3.8/515 but mediocre extracurriculars. I have basics like research but no leadership or super unique passions lol. Also good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anon_medgirl
Full Member
Got it! Great stats though and thank you! Good luck with your other apps!3.8/515 but mediocre extracurriculars. I have basics like research but no leadership or super unique passions lol. Also good luck!
Got it! Great stats though and thank you! Good luck with your other apps!
Thanks!!
CountryBoy2134
Full Member
Got that ripe R today too. Really bummed about this one, was a school I had really high hopes for, even as an OOS.
Whe
Complete date/forwarded date?Got that ripe R today too. Really bummed about this one, was a school I had really high hopes for, even as an OOS.
minn#4
Full Member
I'm sorry to hear about that. Would you mind sharing your complete date and stats?OOS R this morning. GL.
minn#4
Full Member
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your complete date?Interview invite just now!! I'm on cloud nine right now. First MD interview invite. IS applicant. LM ~66. Absolutely shaking right now.
Anon_medgirl
Full Member
Congrats!! When did you submit your secondary?Interview invite just now!! I'm on cloud nine right now. First MD interview invite. IS applicant. LM ~66. Absolutely shaking right now.
Edit: Trying not to get too excited because ik it's just an interview haha.
Complete date: 7/24
for sure, secondary submitted and marked complete on 7/24 and forwarded for review on the same day!Congrats! Would you mind sharing your complete date?
letsgoooooo
Full Member
OOS completed on 9/7.. haven't heard anything... anyone with a R complete around my date?
minn#4
Full Member
I was complete on 9/4 and have not heard anything yet.OOS completed on 9/7.. haven't heard anything... anyone with a R complete around my date?
Interview invite just now!! I'm on cloud nine right now. First MD interview invite. IS applicant. LM ~66. Absolutely shaking right now.
Edit: Trying not to get too excited because ik it's just an interview haha.
Complete date: 7/24
Congrats!! When is your interview date?
I was complete on 9/4 and have not heard anything yet.
IS forwarded to review on 9/4 also, still haven't heard anything
NoEyeEyeGuy
Full Member
personallly i think that self assessment is a useless waste of time. if you give someone the opportunity to find a flaw in your app, they can and will. this whole process is just a random crapshoot. I just accept that and move forward. but to each their own, let us know if they give you anything of value!First R of the cycle earlier today.. Canadian reapp 515 mcat/3.9 gpa complete early august
I don't even know what to do anymore to improve, im filling out their self-assessment file and it's just making me feel hopeless.
hopefully the rest of this cycle goes well..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First IS II ... Finally
Congrats! if you don't mind sharing when did you submit and stats??First IS II ... Finally
Congrats! if you don't mind sharing when did you submit and stats??
4.0, 510 and late July
First R of the cycle earlier today.. Canadian reapp 515 mcat/3.9 gpa complete early august
I don't even know what to do anymore to improve, im filling out their self-assessment file and it's just making me feel hopeless.
hopefully the rest of this cycle goes well..
Feel free to hop in my inbox if you need to rant/vent. I'll do my best to help you feel better. Here's a lucky turtle for now:
I was complete 7/29 (IS) and haven't heard anything yet LOLOOS completed on 9/7.. haven't heard anything... anyone with a R complete around my date?
Last edited:
xtb20ltsolxx
Full Member
OOS rejection email this morning
Completed secondary 7/20
Completed secondary 7/20
IS rejection Friday morning too. 3.7 511 average curriculars. Completed end of July. Trying to go OOS anyways but it still hurts.
IS rejection Friday morning too. 3.7 511 average curriculars. Completed end of July. Trying to go OOS anyways but it still hurts.
Whaaat that’s crazy. What do they even want
Sorry to everyone getting the bad news. You are all fantastic and I know you will find success elsewhere 🙂
Submitted my secondary today. Gotta wait at least another week or so on my CASPer results. =/ We shall see.
No kidding, if IS are getting Rs with thiss....Whaaat that’s crazy. What do they even want
No kidding, if IS are getting Rs with thiss....
+1. I was like oof.
NoEyeEyeGuy
Full Member
if you look at msar though, this school is low key pretty competitive even for in state people. at second glance i was shocked, cause honestly i thought this was like one of the West virginia schools where you're basically a shoe in if you are in state. turns out i stand corrected..+1. I was like oof.
NoEyeEyeGuy
Full Member
sorry i mean to say shoe in, with those stats of 511 and 3.7if you look at msar though, this school is low key pretty competitive even for in state people. at second glance i was shocked, cause honestly i thought this was like one of the West virginia schools where you're basically a shoe in if you are in state. turns out i stand corrected..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Going through these responses and I’m just really confused how MSU already did a wave of rejections?
Given the almost month delay in AMCAS processing times, and all the other delays with stuff like transcript processing, CASPER, and MCAT that people had to face because of the pandemic. You would think they would wait just a bit?
I know last year they did the first wave of rejections in mid-September, but thos really does feel too early. Not to mention some of y’all have some amazing stats, so I’m not sure what they’re even looking for.
Given the almost month delay in AMCAS processing times, and all the other delays with stuff like transcript processing, CASPER, and MCAT that people had to face because of the pandemic. You would think they would wait just a bit?
I know last year they did the first wave of rejections in mid-September, but thos really does feel too early. Not to mention some of y’all have some amazing stats, so I’m not sure what they’re even looking for.
They're very IS heavy cause their mission is to serve rural and underserved regions of MichiganGoing through these responses and I’m just really confused how MSU already did a wave of rejections?
Given the almost month delay in AMCAS processing times, and all the other delays with stuff like transcript processing, CASPER, and MCAT that people had to face because of the pandemic. You would think they would wait just a bit?
I know last year they did the first wave of rejections in mid-September, but thos really does feel too early. Not to mention some of y’all have some amazing stats, so I’m not sure what they’re even looking for.
I really don't buy into the "everything is delayed" narrative. Sure, some people may have been affected, but pretty much every school had a record number of completed applications at any given point of this cycle. I'm thankful for schools that are prioritizing application decisions. Do you really want to think you have a chance to a school when you otherwise wouldn't, and just end up being strung along until March? Good on MSU for making decisions quickly.Going through these responses and I’m just really confused how MSU already did a wave of rejections?
Given the almost month delay in AMCAS processing times, and all the other delays with stuff like transcript processing, CASPER, and MCAT that people had to face because of the pandemic. You would think they would wait just a bit?
I know last year they did the first wave of rejections in mid-September, but thos really does feel too early. Not to mention some of y’all have some amazing stats, so I’m not sure what they’re even looking for.
To echo what others have already said, MSU is incredibly mission-driven and has a good idea of what they want to see in their matriculating class. For example, they stated in an interview seminar that upwards of 60% of their matriculants are either self-reported or AMCAS classified as disadvantaged. That being only one quality among others that they actively seek out.
D
deleted1021716
I really don't buy into the "everything is delayed" narrative. Sure, some people may have been affected, but pretty much every school had a record number of completed applications at any given point of this cycle. I'm thankful for schools that are prioritizing application decisions. Do you really want to think you have a chance to a school when you otherwise wouldn't, and just end up being strung along until March? Good on MSU for making decisions quickly.
To echo what others have already said, MSU is incredibly mission-driven and has a good idea of what they want to see in their matriculating class. For example, they stated in an interview seminar that upwards of 60% of their matriculants are either self-reported or AMCAS classified as disadvantaged. That being only one quality among others that they actively seek out.
Yeah, I also believe MSU isn't unique by rejecting so many in September. I know quite a few Big 10 schools similarly culled their app pool, but what you're seeing on sdn might not even be an accurate reflection of the complete picture.
lanadelgay124
Full Member
To all those interviewing, the "modified MMI" with a single faculty interviewer is quite low-key. They'll present 3-4 MMI situations to you via Zoom screenshare (or will verbally present a scenario), and (like a traditional MMI) will have you reason through them, and answer follow-up questions. Not bad at all, and quite conversational. I was stressing a bit about it beforehand, and hopefully this eases that stress for someone else.