2020-2021 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS R just now. Sent for prelim review 07/21. I applied to the DO school as well so hopefully I get some love there. Good luck everyone, MSU has a great rural program.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also just got the OOS pre interview rejection. Was forwarded for prelim review on 8/4/20. didnt see any status change until today's email. Sad first outright rejection. feelsbadman

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
my ego feels a bit better after seeing the MSAR data for OOS. only around 4% of applicants OOS are interviewed. HAHAHAH whatever helps me sleep at night.

Reactions: 8 users
Got my first R today from MSU (IS applicant complete 8/25) bummerrrr :/

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that! Do you mind sharing your stats? I am IS too.

3.8/515 but mediocre extracurriculars. I have basics like research but no leadership or super unique passions lol. Also good luck!

3.8/515 but mediocre extracurriculars. I have basics like research but no leadership or super unique passions lol. Also good luck!
Got it! Great stats though and thank you! Good luck with your other apps!

Got that ripe R today too. Really bummed about this one, was a school I had really high hopes for, even as an OOS.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Interview invite just now!! I'm on cloud nine right now. First MD interview invite. IS applicant. LM ~66. Absolutely shaking right now.
Edit: Trying not to get too excited because ik it's just an interview haha.
Complete date: 7/24

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Interview invite just now!! I'm on cloud nine right now. First MD interview invite. IS applicant. LM ~66. Absolutely shaking right now.
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your complete date?

Congrats!! When did you submit your secondary?

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your complete date?
for sure, secondary submitted and marked complete on 7/24 and forwarded for review on the same day!

OOS completed on 9/7.. haven't heard anything... anyone with a R complete around my date?

Congrats!! When is your interview date?

OOS complete 8/25 haven't heard anything yet

First R of the cycle earlier today.. Canadian reapp 515 mcat/3.9 gpa complete early august
I don't even know what to do anymore to improve, im filling out their self-assessment file and it's just making me feel hopeless.

hopefully the rest of this cycle goes well..
personallly i think that self assessment is a useless waste of time. if you give someone the opportunity to find a flaw in your app, they can and will. this whole process is just a random crapshoot. I just accept that and move forward. but to each their own, let us know if they give you anything of value!

Reactions: 2 users
First R of the cycle earlier today.. Canadian reapp 515 mcat/3.9 gpa complete early august
I don't even know what to do anymore to improve, im filling out their self-assessment file and it's just making me feel hopeless.

hopefully the rest of this cycle goes well..

Feel free to hop in my inbox if you need to rant/vent. I'll do my best to help you feel better. Here's a lucky turtle for now: :turtle:

IS rejection Friday morning too. 3.7 511 average curriculars. Completed end of July. Trying to go OOS anyways but it still hurts.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Submitted my secondary today. Gotta wait at least another week or so on my CASPer results. =/ We shall see.

+1. I was like oof.
if you look at msar though, this school is low key pretty competitive even for in state people. at second glance i was shocked, cause honestly i thought this was like one of the West virginia schools where you're basically a shoe in if you are in state. turns out i stand corrected..

if you look at msar though, this school is low key pretty competitive even for in state people. at second glance i was shocked, cause honestly i thought this was like one of the West virginia schools where you're basically a shoe in if you are in state. turns out i stand corrected..
sorry i mean to say shoe in, with those stats of 511 and 3.7

Just submitted my secondary as an IS student last week.

Really hope I don't immediately get an R...

• Care
Going through these responses and I’m just really confused how MSU already did a wave of rejections?

Given the almost month delay in AMCAS processing times, and all the other delays with stuff like transcript processing, CASPER, and MCAT that people had to face because of the pandemic. You would think they would wait just a bit?

I know last year they did the first wave of rejections in mid-September, but thos really does feel too early. Not to mention some of y’all have some amazing stats, so I’m not sure what they’re even looking for.

Going through these responses and I’m just really confused how MSU already did a wave of rejections?

Given the almost month delay in AMCAS processing times, and all the other delays with stuff like transcript processing, CASPER, and MCAT that people had to face because of the pandemic. You would think they would wait just a bit?

I know last year they did the first wave of rejections in mid-September, but thos really does feel too early. Not to mention some of y’all have some amazing stats, so I’m not sure what they’re even looking for.
They're very IS heavy cause their mission is to serve rural and underserved regions of Michigan

I really don't buy into the "everything is delayed" narrative. Sure, some people may have been affected, but pretty much every school had a record number of completed applications at any given point of this cycle. I'm thankful for schools that are prioritizing application decisions. Do you really want to think you have a chance to a school when you otherwise wouldn't, and just end up being strung along until March? Good on MSU for making decisions quickly.

To echo what others have already said, MSU is incredibly mission-driven and has a good idea of what they want to see in their matriculating class. For example, they stated in an interview seminar that upwards of 60% of their matriculants are either self-reported or AMCAS classified as disadvantaged. That being only one quality among others that they actively seek out.

I really don't buy into the "everything is delayed" narrative. Sure, some people may have been affected, but pretty much every school had a record number of completed applications at any given point of this cycle. I'm thankful for schools that are prioritizing application decisions. Do you really want to think you have a chance to a school when you otherwise wouldn't, and just end up being strung along until March? Good on MSU for making decisions quickly.

To echo what others have already said, MSU is incredibly mission-driven and has a good idea of what they want to see in their matriculating class. For example, they stated in an interview seminar that upwards of 60% of their matriculants are either self-reported or AMCAS classified as disadvantaged. That being only one quality among others that they actively seek out.

Yeah, I also believe MSU isn't unique by rejecting so many in September. I know quite a few Big 10 schools similarly culled their app pool, but what you're seeing on sdn might not even be an accurate reflection of the complete picture.

To all those interviewing, the "modified MMI" with a single faculty interviewer is quite low-key. They'll present 3-4 MMI situations to you via Zoom screenshare (or will verbally present a scenario), and (like a traditional MMI) will have you reason through them, and answer follow-up questions. Not bad at all, and quite conversational. I was stressing a bit about it beforehand, and hopefully this eases that stress for someone else.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users