2020-2021 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn. That seems ilke bad news for people who got the email :/
Yeah, I'm just confused as to why they would offer the M.S. to someone who has the same degree in the same discipline?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm just confused as to why they would offer the M.S. to someone who has the same degree in the same discipline?
I just assumed it was an automatic email they sent to WL applicants. But yeah now that you mention it, idk. It's so hard to try and find sources of optimism

I just found out from a friend who is also on the waitlist who didn't get the e-mail. Maybe the waitlist movement has begun lol
would you consider yourself more or less competitive than your friend :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, I didn’t get the email and I’d consider myself a less competitive applicant on the WL

If it helps, I didn’t get the email and I’d consider myself a less competitive applicant on the WL
I got the email and I consider myself a less competitive applicant on the WL. We all seem to be hanging on a thread of hope. Good luck!

would you consider yourself more or less competitive than your friend :oops:
He has a higher overall MCAT score, however I have a higher GPA than he does. Regarding extracurriculars, I have more clinical, shadowing, and healthcare experience. I honestly cannot say why they only sent the e-mail out to certain people. Maybe it is random or maybe they selected students with poor MCAT scores or low GPAs.

I have a low gpa, but 510 mcat and I got the email. Honestly nobody knows I guess we will see how things play out.

I have a low gpa, but 510 mcat and I got the email. Honestly nobody knows I guess we will see how things play out.
I wanted to chime in and share that I was pulled off the WL in April with a super low MCAT - which leads me to believe I was accepted to fill the spot of someone who had withdrawn with a similar background.. I hope that gives some of you/those in a similar boat hope :)

I wanted to chime in and share that I was pulled off the WL in April with a super low MCAT - which leads me to believe I was accepted to fill the spot of someone who had withdrawn with a similar background.. I hope that gives some of you/those in a similar boat hope :)
I’m guessing you have a decent gpa and good EC’s. I’ve noticed a lot of DO schools weigh GPA heavier than MCAT and background/EC helps a lot.

I'm actually considering applying for the MS. Has anyone here done it (or done a BMS in a general)? I'd like to talk about it if you have the time

I was wondering what usmle/complex scores looked like. All I can find are combined with NY site. Also I'm trying to decide between ARCOM and NYIT and I can't really get a feel for resources for each. What I mean is I'm wanting to be a trauma surgeon so connections and residency matching is a huge concern for me. Any thoughts?
I'm incredibly biased when I say the following. But we have graduated many who matched into surgery in the past 2 years and I'm expecting the same for the upcoming applicants.

ARCOM students are awesome, they are great people and I have had a great experience with the few I have worked with. Their facilities and school setup look promising without a doubt. I have friends who are going there and they seem to be liking it. but be wary of any posts you see on SDN criticizing NYIT or vice versa, there are a ton of politics behind the two schools being in Arkansas and there are some salty people out there.

I don't know the official COMLEX/Step scores here and even if I did I can't disclose them without the school's permission. But we get the same resources as the NY campus and we have the same exact lectures and everything. From what I've heard in passing, it seems that our performance on COMLEX of those who do pass is on par with NY. We match people into pretty competitive specialties and really it comes down to your own studying. NYIT gives you the resources and the correct stuff for the first 2 years to teach you, they have the formula and are constantly trying to make it better.

I would even go as far as arguing that students down here in Arkansas get way more opportunities to participate in research, shadowing, and projects due to the smaller student to faculty ratio we have. for example we have 2-3 first-year medical students who are working on an NIH funded project here, which is a big deal! You get great opportunities and just have to look for them. I don't know what exactly you mean by resources, but we are given question banks, iPads, access to both NY and Arkansas professors, a library with basically anything you need, tons of volunteering options, tons of shadowing options, access to a full undergrad campus that has a good gym, Starbucks, chick-fil-a, other food options, and if you need something you can have the class petition for it to be given and the school listens usually unless it's redundant.

Another benefit is that since we have connections to the NY campus, NYITs name is not only recognized and well respected in the northeast but also now in the midwest areas. We graduate really good students and it shows. the biggest benefit is we have the big name with a small school feeling.

in terms of matching, I absolutely tell everyone to not worry about their specialty till after level 1 or step 1 is taken. you will change or think about changing specialties. so there is no point in pressuring yourself to be in a specialty for 2 years and then find out you think otherwise. what you like as a premed vs a med student are two different things. In the end, I recommend the school that you get into and that you feel most at home at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the same email. Does anybody know how many who do the MS matriculate into their DO program? Also anybody's experiences with the MS is also appreciated.
I have worked with some of the MS program students. since they are still in their first-class graduating I don't know the whole story behind it nor do I know the number of students in it. From the EXTREMELY limited knowledge I have on it, it seems you need an 80% or higher to have a guaranteed acceptance into the DO program, which is not easy by any means. From what I heard, it's the same lectures that you get in your first year of medical school minus some. that's all I can say on it, I don't know the other details.

Any current med students on here? What is the pass percentage for this school, 70%? And is it true pass fail? Are there any internal rankings? Do you think being pass/ fail will effect your residency placement?
OMS3 here at JB. 70% and above on all your test combined in passing for the semester, this might be different with the new curriculum they are implementing in the fall. It is true pass-fail, 70 is passing, and below is failing. yes, there are internal ranking, but it only goes on your residency application if it benefits you. if you are in last place but you passed, there is no sense in putting in your rankings. and no it will not affect mine or anyone residency placing. Many med schools are pass-fail, and NYIT has been around for a while and has had no issue with it, if they did they would've changed it.

Any recent WL movement? Is it safe to say that most movements will begin starting this 15th?

It was such a difficult decision, but I withdrew my A today. I hope it goes out to one of you! The support system at NYITCOM Jonesboro is great

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Is it okay to be concerned that WL movement has been real quiet?

It was such a difficult decision, but I withdrew my A today. I hope it goes out to one of you! The support system at NYITCOM Jonesboro is great
+1!! Hoping that all of you on the WL hear good news soon :)

Did anyone receive an email about staying on the WL? Just saw the OW thread and it looks like they sent out an email to those on the WL there.

Did anyone receive an email about staying on the WL? Just saw the OW thread and it looks like they sent out an email to those on the WL there.
Nope! Doesn't each campus have their own admissions committee?

Hopefully, we will hear some good news soon as people begin to withdraw their acceptance!!! Trying to remain positive :)

I am withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck to you all on the WL!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Inaugural BMS graduate here from the NYITCOM AR campus. This program is unlike any other SMP you will encounter. It is absolutely worth it. Couple reasons why I say this...
1. The Foundations of Science course is giving you lectures directly from the medical school Foundations course. You are studying and being tested on the same material that OMS I & OMS II students are currently studying and being tested on.
2. Med students get ~ 12-16 of these lectures/week. The BMS students get ~8-12 of these lectures/week. You are tested weekly (a pain in the beginning but very worth it as the weekly quizzes prepare you for the major comprehensive exams).
3. This program (if you succeed) will put you lightyears ahead of the incoming OMS I students who did not complete this program. Sure because you have already seen the material and the professors you have in the BMS program will be the exact same as the first 2 years of med school (yes, even from the NY campus) but MOSTLY because you will have already learned what study techniques work for you with this major change from undergrad (or any other grad program) to medical school.

Essentially, this program is going to take your soul and if you survive and pass with the necessary threshold, then you can make it in med school anywhere in the country.

Couple things to note:
-You shouldn't work full time while in this program (if you're superman/woman then good for you, but don't make the mistake of thinking this is like any other online graduate program- you will be sorely mistaken)
-The financial aid is through the Grad program, not DO program so be ready to make necessary arrangements as the amount you can borrow is limited compared to med school. As a non-traditional student, this was something I wish I knew ahead of time but I made it work.
-The faculty in this program care tremendously about your success and are personally invested in it- don't take that for granted.
-Be ready for the invaluable friendships you will make with people you've never met in person. You will 100% be "trauma-bonded".

I am not on here much but if you have more questions- you're better off DM'ing me :)

Hope this info helps those of you wondering if this is just another basic af program.

Reactions: 2 users
Inaugural BMS graduate here from the NYITCOM AR campus. This program is unlike any other SMP you will encounter. It is absolutely worth it. Couple reasons why I say this...
1. The Foundations of Science course is giving you lectures directly from the medical school Foundations course. You are studying and being tested on the same material that OMS I & OMS II students are currently studying and being tested on.
2. Med students get ~ 12-16 of these lectures/week. The BMS students get ~8-12 of these lectures/week. You are tested weekly (a pain in the beginning but very worth it as the weekly quizzes prepare you for the major comprehensive exams).
3. This program (if you succeed) will put you lightyears ahead of the incoming OMS I students who did not complete this program. Sure because you have already seen the material and the professors you have in the BMS program will be the exact same as the first 2 years of med school (yes, even from the NY campus) but MOSTLY because you will have already learned what study techniques work for you with this major change from undergrad (or any other grad program) to medical school.

Essentially, this program is going to take your soul and if you survive and pass with the necessary threshold, then you can make it in med school anywhere in the country.

Couple things to note:
-You shouldn't work full time while in this program (if you're superman/woman then good for you, but don't make the mistake of thinking this is like any other online graduate program- you will be sorely mistaken)
-The financial aid is through the Grad program, not DO program so be ready to make necessary arrangements as the amount you can borrow is limited compared to med school. As a non-traditional student, this was something I wish I knew ahead of time but I made it work.
-The faculty in this program care tremendously about your success and are personally invested in it- don't take that for granted.
-Be ready for the invaluable friendships you will make with people you've never met in person. You will 100% be "trauma-bonded".

I am not on here much but if you have more questions- you're better off DM'ing me :)

Hope this info helps those of you wondering if this is just another basic af program.
Im excited to hear that you liked the program! You usually hear iffy things about SMPs, glad to know NYITCOM is trying to make it a good program. So far I've heard mostly good things across the board. you will ace and fly through 1st year with no problem, the hardest part will be balancing the busy schedule! Will we be seeing you for OMS-1 here!?

I was on the main campus forum and saw that there was some recent WL movement, but no movement here. Hopefully, we hear some good news next week! Does anyone know what the typical class size number is?

I was on the main campus forum and saw that there was some recent WL movement, but no movement here. Hopefully, we hear some good news next week! Does anyone know what the typical class size number is?
When Dr. Owens hosted a virtual open house at my school, they said first-year enrollment is 115 students at JB and 295 at OW.

Just as a FYI, I think you can get an acceptance through the first week of classes. In case anyone drops or changes their mind. I don't mean to give false hope, but we had a couple of new people my 1st year after someone dropped.

Last edited:
Im excited to hear that you liked the program! You usually hear iffy things about SMPs, glad to know NYITCOM is trying to make it a good program. So far I've heard mostly good things across the board. you will ace and fly through 1st year with no problem, the hardest part will be balancing the busy schedule! Will we be seeing you for OMS-1 here!?
NYITCOM is definitely trying to make a very unique SMP! Thanks for the advice! I will be joining you all this fall :giggle: I got the acceptance the day of graduation so that was AWESOME! I will be moving down in the beginning of July. Maybe we will get to meet, I will need all the advice anyone ahead of me can give!

Does anyone know what the fall curriculum will look like for first years?
Fall curriculum might be different for you all because they are trying to transition to a heavier emphasis on problem-based learning. but from what I see and hear. It should be asynchronous lectures recorded released weekly in basic sciences for the first semester with anatomy, OMM, DPR weekly. Then starting in the spring you will start with the infamously tough neuro block and start your systems-based learning.

I don't know if you all were at the event today for 1st years to get the first look, but I believe some professors answered this question.

Fall curriculum might be different for you all because they are trying to transition to a heavier emphasis on problem-based learning. but from what I see and hear. It should be asynchronous lectures recorded released weekly in basic sciences for the first semester with anatomy, OMM, DPR weekly. Then starting in the spring you will start with the infamously tough neuro block and start your systems-based learning.

I don't know if you all were at the event today for 1st years to get the first look, but I believe some professors answered this question.

Thank you. So first semester is only anatomy? Is their any histology?

Thank you. So first semester is only anatomy? Is their any histology?
The curriculum at NYITCOM is systems based, you will receive histology throughout the 2 years you are learning the different systems. I believe in anatomy you will have to know some histology and learn some histology along the way but there isn't just a "histology" class per se. You get tons of histology when you start doing pathology lectures in the spring.

The curriculum at NYITCOM is systems based, you will receive histology throughout the 2 years you are learning the different systems. I believe in anatomy you will have to know some histology and learn some histology along the way but there isn't just a "histology" class per se. You get tons of histology when you start doing pathology lectures in the spring.

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, what subjects/systems are taught in the first semester of the 1st year? I plan on attending NYITCOM.

Has anyone clicked on the link for the GroupMe for the Class of 2025? When I've clicked on it previously to see the number of participants, the number has definitely fluctuated but it hasn't reached the average class size of 115. Is it safe to assume that not everyone has joined GroupMe?

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, what subjects/systems are taught in the first semester of the 1st year? I plan on attending NYITCOM.
You all will learn the basic sciences in the first semester: intro to anatomy, pathology, biochemistry, doctor-patient relationship, OMM and other basic classes. then in your second semester, you will start with neuro and go into, Psych, MSK, Heme onc.

You all will learn the basic sciences in the first semester: intro to anatomy, pathology, biochemistry, doctor-patient relationship, OMM and other basic classes. then in your second semester, you will start with neuro and go into, Psych, MSK, Heme onc.
Thank you

Just withdrew my seat here, good luck to you all!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users