2020-2021 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What exactly did you update them on? Did you have new experiences/ activities every month?

Not every month, but twice, with an Update letter, and a new letter of recommendation. Also attended the DO virtual fairs where I spoke to them, which is what I meant by update every month.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone isn’t in the GroupMe yet, here’s the link! You're invited to my new group 'NYITCOMJB Accepted Students Class of 2025' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 2/12, waitlisted today. Thinking of writing a letter of intent.

Is the email to send updates/letter of intent, [email protected] ?
This might have been said earlier in the thread, but I apologize. I couldn't find it.

A off the WL! In absolute shock right now

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, how does getting an A off the waitlist work here? Is it based on who is next or what they are looking for?

So a update letter, etc. is not necessary then?
Not necessarily, what I mean by what they r looking for its like if someone who has specific criteria (woman or male, GPA, MCAT, or some type of EC, or even ethnicity) thats what they choose, based on my understanding

Not necessarily, what I mean by what they r looking for its like if someone who has specific criteria (woman or male, GPA, MCAT, or some type of EC, or even ethnicity) thats what they choose, based on my understanding
That’s what I thought but was unsure. So it is a luck of the draw essentially.

Just FYI, they are still sending out IIs, I got one yesterday, and I'm interviewing the first week of April.

So, how does getting an A off the waitlist work here? Is it based on who is next or what they are looking for?
IDK but when I was applying I got waitlisted and I emailed and asked if I could submit a letter of intent, regardless that their website they didnt at the time. They said yes, the would gladly take a letter of intent and update letter. so email our admissions officer and ask. but only submit a LOI if you really mean it.

Source: OMS3 here

Interview invite received last week! February 11th 2021
Application completed December 23rd 2020
cGPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.8
MCAT 498

any advice on preparing for the interview?
Make sure you know what Osteopathic medicine is and its history. Find reasons as to why you applied to our campus. What makes NYITCOM-ar your school. Some programs/organizations that you might look forward to applying to or being apart of on our campus. Do some research and dig around the social media and see what the school has been up to. Think about how you think you would prefer a 'rural' campus. Be ready to talk about your application, the weaknesses(MCAT, applying late) and strengths(sGPA). look up on SDN the interview questions they may ask you.

Im beginning to feel worried as well, can any current JB students provide any insight or help? I really hope to get accepted here, but im beginning to lose hope. I also noticed that the gc on here only has 40 something students and ik that cant be all the students that have been accepted, but i don’t understand how nobody here has hesrd in months
I interviewed in November was waitlisted like early January and got my A in MAY. it was the last school I heard from and was all set and ready to go to another school. now being an OMS3 and looking back it was a crazy wait.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed in November was waitlisted like early January and got my A in MAY. it was the last school I heard from and was all set and ready to go to another school. now being an OMS3 and looking back it was a crazy wait.
You are kind of giving me hope. I interviewed in November, waitlisted January. Still waitlisted. But idk this round has also been the most competitive and increased applicants.

You are kind of giving me hope. I interviewed in November, waitlisted January. Still waitlisted. But idk this round has also been the most competitive and increased applicants.
Thats what I was thinking tbh

Hey guys should I send an update letter to them? I’ve been complete since October and heard nothing

Make sure you know what Osteopathic medicine is and its history. Find reasons as to why you applied to our campus. What makes NYITCOM-ar your school. Some programs/organizations that you might look forward to applying to or being apart of on our campus. Do some research and dig around the social media and see what the school has been up to. Think about how you think you would prefer a 'rural' campus. Be ready to talk about your application, the weaknesses(MCAT, applying late) and strengths(sGPA). look up on SDN the interview questions they may ask you.
Lol my interview was a month ago but thanks for still responding though!

I got my decision this week but decided to decline the offer, I hope the seat goes to someone else! Wishing everyone the absolute best!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone else immediately check their email when someone says on here that they withdrew their A?

Going to be in Jonesboro tomorrow. Since it’s the weekend I doubt that I’ll be able to talk to anyone at the school. But if you all have questions about the area that I can drive around and check out, I’ll be happy to. Please let me know.

Current students: where do medical students typically live? Which residential communities?

Can anyone describe what the interview is like? Is it a traditional interview, or will it have a component of MMI?

NYIT Jonesboro. Big Arkansas State campus. Med School smack in the middle of it.

Attachments

• E96CC163-83F1-4DBD-AFA2-8192836FA39C.jpeg
    E96CC163-83F1-4DBD-AFA2-8192836FA39C.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 794AB9FE-3EC4-411A-9676-B6FD6DA6BCF6.jpeg
    794AB9FE-3EC4-411A-9676-B6FD6DA6BCF6.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 6D454838-4EB4-408F-9016-3A356EA01A8F.jpeg
    6D454838-4EB4-408F-9016-3A356EA01A8F.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 104
  • E7C81B6E-F9FD-4801-ACB2-B35E7191A792.jpeg
    E7C81B6E-F9FD-4801-ACB2-B35E7191A792.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 99
  • EB9BA007-10AB-405B-8584-45A420C6A6CD.jpeg
    EB9BA007-10AB-405B-8584-45A420C6A6CD.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 5DAA59D5-E3B5-4EDE-A254-3A5D9DA373BA.jpeg
    5DAA59D5-E3B5-4EDE-A254-3A5D9DA373BA.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 101
  • A457B183-C9AA-465C-B19B-351492B2AFF8.jpeg
    A457B183-C9AA-465C-B19B-351492B2AFF8.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 6BC3AE5D-9B89-473B-BA25-064754E57AD6.jpeg
    6BC3AE5D-9B89-473B-BA25-064754E57AD6.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 2 users
A very visually pleasing sign as well!

Attachments

• 06168D5C-FA5E-477C-A307-3C17A2199585.jpeg
    06168D5C-FA5E-477C-A307-3C17A2199585.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 101
Any advice on preparing for the interview, also Is the interview open file or closed file for this school. Also, can any current student elaborate on the two curriculum tracks. It wasn't clear on the website, but do students get to pick their own tracks?

Any advice on preparing for the interview, also Is the interview open file or closed file for this school. Also, can any current student elaborate on the two curriculum tracks. It wasn't clear on the website, but do students get to pick their own tracks?
Mine was closed file but idk for other people. With one faculty which they usually tell you the faculty name on the email so you could honestly Google them & stuff if you want prior to the interview. It was very basic interview questions: biggest accomplishment, toughest decision, etc. Look on the interview portion of SDN for the school, those questions on there were legit the ones I got for the most part.

Mine was closed file but idk for other people. With one faculty which they usually tell you the faculty name on the email so you could honestly Google them & stuff if you want prior to the interview. It was very basic interview questions: biggest accomplishment, toughest decision, etc. Look on the interview portion of SDN for the school, those questions on there were legit the ones I got for the most part.
Thank you!

Does anyone know what the post II acceptance rate looks like?

Does anyone know how the WL movement is here? Do they have any stats on how much of each class comes from WL?

• Care
Any current med students on here? What is the pass percentage for this school, 70%? And is it true pass fail? Are there any internal rankings? Do you think being pass/ fail will effect your residency placement?