2020-2021 Nova Southeastern (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Nova Southeastern School of Allopathic Medicine (coming soon!)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Any current students that can tell me about their experience? Excited to be applying here! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 OOS. here are the prompts:

1. Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

2. Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)

3. At NSU CAM, we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)

4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone still waiting on a secondary? I submitted on 5/29 and was verified 6/11, and I still haven't received one.

verified on 6/4 and still waiting.

OOS.
I actually did a deep dive into their website and realized your Letters of Recommendations/Committee Letter need to be in before receiving a secondary. Mine was just uploaded yesterday, so I'd assume that my secondary should come in sometime this week.

I actually did a deep dive into their website and realized your Letters of Recommendations/Committee Letter need to be in before receiving a secondary. Mine was just uploaded yesterday, so I'd assume that my secondary should come in sometime this week.
oof, that's a bummer cause i have no idea when my committee letter is being uploaded, but thank you for the info. -- appreciative!

is there any way to check your status? I didn’t like how their secondary was basically a survey

Reactions: 1 users
From question 4 on the secondary: "Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine."
Anybody have a good translation for this? Is a "service learning activity" supposed to be part of a class, like the earlier part of the question suggests?

Members don't see this ad :)
From question 4 on the secondary: "Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine."
Anybody have a good translation for this? Is a "service learning activity" supposed to be part of a class, like the earlier part of the question suggests?
At my school, there are some service learning courses where you receive credit for volunteering with a professor/class, so that's how I'm interpreting this.

I don’t believe it has to strictly be within a class setting.
This question sounds like it's mainly feeling out your thoughts and background on the service/humanistic/non-hard science part of medicine so I would focus on that. Keep in mind though that the question is kinda essay format so try to tie both parts of the question together with a connected/coherent message.
From what I remember, I wrote about an activity that I was introduced to and inspired by an undergraduate class but I only participated in the particular role I wrote about long after I had finished the class.
Hope that helps and good luck!

What is the difference between the first and second secondary prompts?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
That's weird bc my CL is not submitted yet, but I got a secondary this afternoon...

What is the difference between the first and second secondary prompts?
One does not exist.
I literally debated withdrawing my app because of the secondary.

I don’t believe it has to strictly be within a class setting.
This question sounds like it's mainly feeling out your thoughts and background on the service/humanistic/non-hard science part of medicine so I would focus on that. Keep in mind though that the question is kinda essay format so try to tie both parts of the question together with a connected/coherent message.
From what I remember, I wrote about an activity that I was introduced to and inspired by an undergraduate class but I only participated in the particular role I wrote about long after I had finished the class.
Hope that helps and good luck!
Helpful info, thank you!

Submitted my secondary today. They said a decision will be made in 2-3 weeks (!), is this generally accurate?

I lol'd a little about the question asking if I will be incarcerated at any point during medical school. Like I know we all have a past but like c'mon the logistics of that isn't even reasonable.

Reactions: 2 users
I lol'd a little about the question asking if I will be incarcerated at any point during medical school. Like I know we all have a past but like c'mon the logistics of that isn't even reasonable.
Haha as I checked "no" I was like...I guess no one can 100% make this promise.

I thought it was poorly worded but I know some states do deferred sentences so I guess Nova's just trying to cover their bases in case someone violates their probation halfway through their degree and has to go to prison

Any opinions on the 4000 character count? Does anyone think that it could be bad to not use all of that? it's a bit lengthy compared to other schools

Any opinions on the 4000 character count? Does anyone think that it could be bad to not use all of that? it's a bit lengthy compared to other schools
Agreed. I'm aiming for somewhere between 2500-3000 characters for each response.

Submitted secondary. It's kinda nice that they claim a 2-3 week wait for a status (though their adcom must be working hellishly to meet that)

How are you guys structuring the question about coursework outside the traditional pre-med classes?

How are you guys structuring the question about coursework outside the traditional pre-med classes?
What have you learned from other classes that will help you do well in medical school? Any humanities that particularly interested you or made you critically think? Along those lines.

I really wish I saw the secondary before submitting a primary :/

• Haha
Is there any way of knowing if we’re complete?
They make the claim that 2-3 weeks after submitting the secondary fee you'll receive their outcome which I took as a "you're complete" email (unless it's a poorly worded way of saying you'll be complete in 2-3 weeks). More likely your LORs are complete before obtaining the secondary though.

is it just me or are the first two secondary questions the same?
also the next 2.... It's insane... These questions made me realize I was not that interested in NSU and decided I am not submitted my secondary

Reactions: 1 users
is it just me or are the first two secondary questions the same?
I felt the same with them! I just chose two different experiences, but with question 1, I focused more on my teams common objective and problems that would impede that and how we overcame and what I learned. For question 2, I described a leadership experience where I faced multiple problem-solving scenarios and explained them. But I really tried to focus on PBL and used the chart attached to help me with the direction of my answer. And of course, I tried to relate both questions back to "why medicine?" and "how will these experiences help you as a future physician?"

Good Luck! This was one secondary I was so happy to be completed with. lol

Attachments

• PBL .jpeg
    PBL .jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 309
I felt the same with them! I just chose two different experiences, but with question 1, I focused more on my teams common objective and problems that would impede that and how we overcame and what I learned. For question 2, I described a leadership experience where I faced multiple problem-solving scenarios and explained them. But I really tried to focus on PBL and used the chart attached to help me with the direction of my answer. And of course, I tried to relate both questions back to "why medicine?" and "how will these experiences help you as a future physician?"

Good Luck! This was one secondary I was so happy to be completed with. lol
Thank you so much for your thoughts! This is incredibly helpful!

What's the accronym for this school? NSU MD? or something else?

I used NSU CAM
(College of Allopathic Medicine)
Noted. Thanks.

On a separate note, I am going out on a limb to say I think this secondary is disrespectful. Asking basically 12000 characters of the same exact question is flat out fudged. Anyone else feel this way? Like they are just purposely pushing your button to hear how many ways you can spin the same topic?

Noted. Thanks.

On a separate note, I am going out on a limb to say I think this secondary is disrespectful. Asking basically 12000 characters of the same exact question is flat out fudged. Anyone else feel this way? Like they are just purposely pushing your button to hear how many ways you can spin the same topic?

I didn't get close to 4000 characters on any of the essays.