2023-2024 Nova Southeastern (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Username88 for sharing this year’s questions.

2023-2024 Nova Southeastern (MD) Secondary Prompts
  1. Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  2. Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a Problem Based Learning environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  3. At NSU M.D., we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  6. Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  7. Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  8. Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies in either academic or standardized test performances throughout your undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate career. (this has no word limit as far as I can tell)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary Received OOS

Questions:
1. Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

2. Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a Problem Based Learning environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Were those 2 questions the only prompts, or did the others get cut off in the formatting?
There are more but you have to answer the first two to move on to the next page. These were the next two. Im guessing the same as last year
3. At NSU M.D., we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)
4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)

I went through and copied every question that came up before you submit. Let me know if this is the right way to format secondary questions for the future!
  5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  6. Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  7. Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
  8. Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies in either academic or standardized test performances throughout your undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate career. (this has no word limit as far as I can tell)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
For Question #6 (Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain), would this also include employment during a gap year? Or is it strictly referencing employment during a graduate program?

For Question #6 (Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain), would this also include employment during a gap year? Or is it strictly referencing employment during a graduate program?
I believe it is referring to while you are attending school to better put in context your commitments.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I wanted to ask what you guys would do in my scenario-

I have recently retook my MCAT on June 23 and am waiting for my score on July 25 I am anticipating a higher score than my previous attempt (all practice exam scores improved and I felt great on test day), however, I will not know until then. I would prefer to submit my secondary now, however, would it be better if I waited until my score was released to answer the question about "Explain any gaps or inconsistencies in either academic or standardized test performances throughout your undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate career"

Projecting my score jump to be 10+ from my previous- if I submit my secondary now it may be red flag if I did not address this potential improvement, however, I don't want to submit my secondary 20+ days later if I am ready to submit now. I have attempted to call and email admissions but no reply yet.

Secondary Received OOS

Questions:

This is one of those times where the admissions team needs to step up to explain the difference.

To me, I interpret the difference as
1) teamwork towards a goal, with milestones and results. Preprofessional competencies on teamwork at least.
2) how you have worked in study groups and learn collectively (how well will you adjust to PBL). Group learning as Academic competency and learning skills.

As a PBL facilitator, there is a difference in what I would be looking for in your answer, especially with prompt 2.

More insight in Becoming a Student Doctor. Message if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Hey, just wondering if anyone is able to confirm their application is complete, whether by email from the school or the portal. When I log on, it doesn't indicate my app is complete, and I never received an email saying I was either.

Were you guys close to the 4000 characters for most of the questions?
I did my best to reach 4000, but some prompts I just couldn't add anything else without it sounding stupid. I was anywhere from 3000-4000

Reactions: 2 users
Is the portal down for anyone else? It's not loading when I click on the secondary app link

Was anyone required to actually login to a portal? I just got emails with links for the secondary and to pay but never had to login to a portal....

I received secondary but I decided not to proceed further. Do I need to notify the college that I am not submitting?

Any in-state students still waiting for the secondary here? I was verified 7/13 and received every other FL secondary accept for UF and this school. Do they screen here?

PLEASE SOMEONE LOL did anyone have to actually login to a portal for the secondary or did u just use the links in the email? The DO school got me all confused ...

PLEASE SOMEONE LOL did anyone have to actually login to a portal for the secondary or did u just use the links in the email? The DO school got me all confused ...

No just use the link in the email, you don’t have to login.

Also waiting verified 7/17. OOS

I am not hitting the 4000 character mark. I feel like, at one point, less is more. Some of these questions do not warrant 4000 characters of explanations. I am praying for the best, though.

I am not hitting the 4000 character mark. I feel like, at one point, less is more. Some of these questions do not warrant 4000 characters of explanations. I am praying for the best, though.
I did the same-- no worries as long as you get your point across.

Is it even worth applying as a 510/3.94 OOS. Looking for some more schools to add

Anyone still waiting for secondaries? This is one of my last
I was until I submitted my LOR's on AMCAS. I felt stupid holding on them to and waiting for each secondary but this was the only school that wanted them before sending the secondaries. Maybe check on this and avoid my mistake lol

Did anyone get a complete email? Unsure if everything was processed correctly coming from someone with FAP (so I never paid the $50)

I was until I submitted my LOR's on AMCAS. I felt stupid holding on them to and waiting for each secondary but this was the only school that wanted them before sending the secondaries. Maybe check on this and avoid my mistake lol
My LORs were ready when my primaries were verified back in June, so it must be something else but thanks!

would you say it’s too late to submit my secondary to NOVA?

I didn't hit 4000 either. Two of my essays got to 3100. The rest are shorter.

has anyone got any interview invites yet?