2020-2021 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
would you also happen to know how big the waitlist is?
Last cycle they put everyone on the waitlist that interviewed and didn’t get immediately accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Last cycle they put everyone on the waitlist that interviewed and didn’t get immediately accepted
Hm ok I was trying to gauge how likely someone was to be waitlisted to accepted. Bc they’ve said around 1/2 the class is from the waitlist so like 80 spots, if they waitlist say 160 ppl you got a 50/50 shot right?

wait so do they not outright reject?

Hm ok I was trying to gauge how likely someone was to be waitlisted to accepted. Bc they’ve said around 1/2 the class is from the waitlist so like 80 spots, if they waitlist say 160 ppl you got a 50/50 shot right?

wait so do they not outright reject?
They reject if you don’t get an interview. And then also reject in August if you never get off the waitlist. That’s how they did it this past cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any other interview invitations gone out, or was Aug 19th the most recent?

August? Do you mean April? *confused*
They reject usually early May if you never get an interview.
If you interview, you usually will either be accepted 2 weeks later or put on the waitlist.
You stay on the waitlist until the end of the cycle unless you get accepted while waiting.
They reject at the end of the cycle in August if you never get off of the waitlist post-interview.

At least this is how they did it this last cycle.

They reject usually early May if you never get an interview.
If you interview, you usually will either be accepted 2 weeks later or put on the waitlist.
You stay on the waitlist until the end of the cycle unless you get accepted while waiting.
They reject at the end of the cycle in August if you never get off of the waitlist post-interview.

At least this is how they did it this last cycle.
Gotcha. You mean next August then. Thanks for elaborating!

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have had their interview this year, what is it like? What are some of the question types did they ask about? Anything particularly hard about COVID-19?

For those who already submitted, how long did it take for them to verify your committee/letter packet?

would you also happen to know how big the waitlist is?
Ok sorry I’ve been very busy (Med school ya know lol) BUT I was waitlisted after my September interview, and was later accepted just before Halloween! So those of you on waitlist - do not fret you will more than likely get accepted since you interviewed early!

Reactions: 2 users
Ok sorry I’ve been very busy (Med school ya know lol) BUT I was waitlisted after my September interview, and was later accepted just before Halloween! So those of you on waitlist - do not fret you will more than likely get accepted since you interviewed early!

Okay, stupid question: in general, why would schools start pulling people from the waitlist prior to interviewing everyone? I'm so glad that it worked out for you!!!

For those who have had their interview this year, what is it like? What are some of the question types did they ask about? Anything particularly hard about COVID-19?
I was never asked anything about COVID, which was honestly very surprising. From talking to other students who have interviewed at OSU in past years they have said that most questions were off of their application and personal statement. I only had one question off of my application and the rest of the questions were about how I would handle a situation or what is a down side of being a physician. To prepare I looked at questions off of SDN and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Okay, stupid question: in general, why would schools start pulling people from the waitlist prior to interviewing everyone? I'm so glad that it worked out for you!!!
That’s a good question!! I’m not really sure why, that’s just how they do it. Some students they offer an acceptance to both campuses, and others just to one. When offering just to one I’m pretty sure it’s generally the Cherokee Nation campus, which is where I am.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people they offer interviews to or what your chances are after that? OOS applicant here. Also how soon did they get back to you after your interview?

Does anyone know how many people they offer interviews to or what your chances are after that? OOS applicant here. Also how soon did they get back to you after your interview?
They interviewed around 400 this past year and will usually accept you or put on waitlist 2 weeks after your interview.

Not the hugest fan of that. Can’t see how you would be judged fairly against someone doing an interview in person vs taking the online option so I feel most people will feel forced to do in person which to mean seems like a risk as they will get people all over the country from different infection zones. Unless they plan on rapid testing everyone before they do the interview.
They literally told me if I wanted to a virtual they would “put me in a pile” and see if they could find a time — but offered me an exact date and time for in-person, so I accepted that — even though I’m not comfortable with that.

• Sad
They literally told me if I wanted to a virtual they would “put me in a pile” and see if they could find a time — but offered me an exact date and time for in-person, so I accepted that — even though I’m not comfortable with that.
Congrats on the interview! Do you mind sharing your stats?

anyone else haven't heard a word post-secondary??? OOS tho

Reactions: 6 users
Hey y'all,
I am OOS but doing undergrad in OK and I expressed that I wanted to stay in OK and why in the secondary prompt "anything else we should know about you"
I submitted primary late June, tbh forgot when I submitted secondary, but app was marked complete Aug 20 (and I got an email notification about it). Received II by phone call Aug 25, interviewed in-person Sep 11, and received an acceptance offer by phone Sep 23! ☺ (haven't even heard about interviews from any other school) Reviewing all the interview questions on sdn was super helpful and they didn't ask anything COVID related.
When I went for my interview, someone mentioned that the day before, they had lots of virtual interviews, so maybe they're trying to keep those together?
Oh, other thing they mentioned is that because they do rolling admissions, you're more likely to be waitlisted the earlier you apply/interview. That's so they can keep spots open for people who apply later. One of our MS2 tour guides said he was offered a spot from the waitlist like two weeks before classes started! Stay strong, y'all!
I saw somewhere on the internet that one of the entering classes is 108 IS and 8 OOS, so OOS-ers definitely write about your ties to OK and highlight if you want to stay here long-term. In one of the interview day presentations, they emphasized that one of their missions is to produce doctors for Oklahoma.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Love
What do you do if it's been over 2 months since submitting your secondary and haven't heard anything yet? I want to talk to admissions but don't really have anything to ask besides am I getting an II or getting an R lol.

What do you do if it's been over 2 months since submitting your secondary and haven't heard anything yet? I want to talk to admissions but don't really have anything to ask besides am I getting an II or getting an R lol.
Osu interviews over the course of a long time, it’s definitely not time to start getting worried yet.

how long does it take for this school to receive new MCAT scores? My new official score is already posted but OSU-COM mentioned they don't have it yet.. they mentioned it might take a few days to go through the system. Do you guys know that once we submit our secondary is when they receive all the updated materials? Not sure.

II earlier today around 11a.
Secondary submitted august 22.
Application marked complete on august 26.
Mcat:508
Gpa: 3.4

Anyone know how many OOS interviews/applicants they get. I know they took 8 or so last year. I have ties to the state and lived there for 3 years but I feel like I was so incredibly nervous during my interview that I didn't say anything that I wanted to.
MCAT 506 GPA 3.69 SGPA 3.5
Secondary Complete 09/06, II received 09/16, Interviewed 10/02/20, increased heartrate and extra anxious thoughts 09/16-Current

• Care
Anyone know how many OOS interviews/applicants they get. I know they took 8 or so last year. I have ties to the state and lived there for 3 years but I feel like I was so incredibly nervous during my interview that I didn't say anything that I wanted to.
Secondary Complete 09/06, II received 09/16, Interviewed 10/02/20, increased heartrate and extra anxious thoughts 09/16-Current

honestly the fact that you are OOS and even got an II is a great sign. I'm OOS with no ties whatsoever, been complete since July and haven't heard a peep about an II. Your chances are as good as any IS people.

Take a breath. I interviewed last year (IS) and it took 13 days to get a decision. I was admitted into the guaranteed admission program. I am not certain but I think 3 years would qualify you as an in state. Don’t quote me tho because I’ve lived here my whole life and haven’t looked too far into the requirements for IS/OOS. Like the other guy mentioned. The fact that you got an interview this early is a great sign. Your GPA is great for this school whether you’re IS or OOS. Your MCAT is good for OOS, and great for IS. Don’t stress about the interview. We all leave feeling like we should have said more or said something differently. Enjoy your weekend and we’re all looking forward to your acceptance next week!

Hi do you know anything about the bridge program?

Hey y’all! I’m an MS1 at the OSU Cherokee Nation campus. OSU has been an absolutely fantastic place for med school so far. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that y’all choose OSU if you’re offered an acceptance. The family culture here truly is second to none, just as many others have said. If y’all have any questions about anything, please let me know!

ACCEPTED 10/14!!! In-State applicant scheduled to interview September 8th originally, but I was out of the country, so they had me interview October 8th, and I got the call around 1:30 yesterday!

I feel the interview is a big selection factor for them. I was completely myself and did not try to answer how I thought they wanted to hear. I was nervous going into the interview day but just started talking with the other applicants and made friends. I think that really engaging with everyone and being conversational set me up for a successful and enjoyable day.

I also heard that 60-70 people from the M1 class this year were on the waitlist for some period of time!

Best of luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED 10/14!!! In-State applicant scheduled to interview September 8th originally, but I was out of the country, so they had me interview October 8th, and I got the call around 1:30 yesterday!

I feel the interview is a big selection factor for them. I was completely myself and did not try to answer how I thought they wanted to hear. I was nervous going into the interview day but just started talking with the other applicants and made friends. I think that really engaging with everyone and being conversational set me up for a successful and enjoyable day.

I also heard that 60-70 people from the M1 class this year were on the waitlist for some period of time!

Best of luck to everyone!
Do you mind sharing MCAT score? I want to know what the range looks like right now.

interviewed 10/23
Accepted this morning to tahlequah campus.
Haven’t made a decision yet because my goal has always been Tulsa. Has anyone ever heard of someone declining one campus and getting into the other?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
interviewed 10/23
Haven’t made a decision yet because my goal has always been Tulsa. Has anyone ever heard of someone declining one campus and getting into the other?
To answer your question: I haven’t heard of that, but maybe you can ask one of the student ambassadors. Do they call you if you are accepted and email if waitlisted?

To answer your question: I haven’t heard of that, but maybe you can ask one of the student ambassadors. Do they call you if you are accepted and email if waitlisted?
Yes. Waitlist is emailed out. Jeff and Lindsey called me for acceptance

interviewed 10/23

First year here. I haven't heard of anyone being able to move to a campus that was not offered, however, this is only the second cycle for Cherokee Nation so it's uncharted waters and just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean people don't trade spots.

If you have any questions please reach out to Lindsey. They won't rip your A away from you for asking questions. This is a huge commitment for your life and you want to make the best decision for it in regards to moving forward with your medical education.

Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
My application is complete; any idea of how long it takes to hear back from admissions? I'm an OOS applicant, 3.67 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA, unfortunately, my MCAT did not go as I had hoped and I earned a 494. Finishing my PhD and have tons of research experience and six publications with a couple of webinars under my belt. Have over 20k hours of clinical experience (civilian and military) and 80 hours of shadowing DOs (and was able to get a DO letter of rec).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 3.37.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 3.37.16 PM.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 134
Does anyone know what kind of stats one would need to get an II as OOS with a somewhat later completed primary and secondary (completed late October). 3.5 cum, 3.7 science with 518 MCAT from Missouri, is this in line with OOS interviewees?

Does anyone know what kind of stats one would need to get an II as OOS with a somewhat later completed primary and secondary (completed late October). 3.5 cum, 3.7 science with 518 MCAT from Missouri, is this in line with OOS interviewees?

sounds extremely competitive so I think you have a good chance for an interview as an OOS student.

sounds extremely competitive so I think you have a good chance for an interview as an OOS student.
I think I am more worried about my cumulative being below the competitive stats listed on their website. I sure hope they highly value MCAT scores for OOS.

I think I am more worried about my cumulative being below the competitive stats listed on their website. I sure hope they highly value MCAT scores for OOS.
Just email the admissions team and let them know you are really interested. They would love to have an MCAT as high as yours

Just email the admissions team and let them know you are really interested. They would love to have an MCAT as high as yours
I knew post interview letters were beneficial, should the email be a formal letter of intention to attend the school if accepted?

I believe they have this new program where they are accepting more OOS students from a bordering state (except Texas) and will give you an IS tuition waiver.

Just got the call, II 11/12! Pretty surreal considering I was just stressing about my app a day ago...completely made a fool of myself at work, but I’m so pumped I couldn’t care less.

Does anybody have any data on the I:A ratio, particularly for out of state but in region? This would be my dream school to get into, really hope it works out!

I knew post interview letters were beneficial, should the email be a formal letter of intention to attend the school if accepted?
If that is your honest intention it couldn’t hurt!!!

Does anybody have any data on the I:A ratio, particularly for out of state but in region? This would be my dream school to get into, really hope it works out!

we only interview like 200 and I believe 150 get acceptances or waitlist so yourodds are good. Especially with your MCAT

If that is your honest intention it couldn’t hurt!!!
It’s definitely my honest intention, I just didn’t want to overwhelm them with messages and come across as too needy!

Hey guys,

OOS (arkansas) here. Ive seen a few other people post similar questions about this but i wanted to possible get some more feedback. I submitted my secondary 9/10 and have not heard a peep since. No II but no rejection. Should I email the admissions office or am I just being antsy.
Thanks!