2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who are on the waitlist, what are you doing while waiting? I’m #11 on the list and with no movement I’m becoming more and more pessimistic everyday.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Up until August 9, correct?
They said in the on the interview day that most years "someone doesn't show up to med school" and they are "embroidering a white coat 2 days before the ceremony." So it sounds like it can be down to the wire.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who are on the waitlist, what are you doing while waiting? I’m #11 on the list and with no movement I’m becoming more and more pessimistic everyday.
I'm 2-3 spots after you and submitted my primary for reapplication last month, still definitely hoping I won't have to crank out those secondaries and start all over 😭

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Those who are reapplicants can I ask you guys how much change there was to your second application? I'm low 20s on the waitlist and I've mentally prepared myself to reapply given this slow movement.

I would love to reapply this year however my school's pre-med advisors strongly advise against reapplying if there has been no change to my application, and I remember the OHSU's medical admissions director saying the same. I've worked at my scribing job this entire time, however these hours were already projected on my first application. I'm currently reluctantly applying for new jobs at the moment :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Those who are reapplicants can I ask you guys how much change there was to your second application? I'm low 20s on the waitlist and I've mentally prepared myself to reapply given this slow movement.

I would love to reapply this year however my school's pre-med advisors strongly advise against reapplying if there has been no change to my application, and I remember the OHSU's medical admissions director saying the same. I've worked at my scribing job this entire time, however these hours were already projected on my first application. I'm currently reluctantly applying for new jobs at the moment :)
Hello,
I was a reapplicant this year and was accepted. The pandemic actually gave me a leg up because I was transitioned from working as a CNA in pre/post anesthesia care to the ER because of staffing needs. I spent 4 months at the very start of the pandemic working on the "front lines" so I spoke a lot about that. I did the feedback interview last year and the advise that the person gave me was to outline all of my essays as if I were going to rewrite them and see if my old essays should be scrapped or just edited. I ended up totally rewriting half of my secondary essays. The feedback interviewer did advise me to lean heavily on the experience I gained working during the pandemic since that was not on my previous application. I would highly suggest doing the feedback session with OHSU, it was really informative and helped me target where I needed improvement. I would say just because you don't have new experiences doesn't mean you can't speak about a different story or self growth that you have had this last year. I had some family struggles this past year on top of the pandemic so I spoke about how I felt I have grown more resilient and have learned to cope with my anxiety better. I think OHSU values honesty about your personal struggles and how your experiences have helped you grow as a human. Hope this can help in some way!

Hello,
I was a reapplicant this year and was accepted. The pandemic actually gave me a leg up because I was transitioned from working as a CNA in pre/post anesthesia care to the ER because of staffing needs. I spent 4 months at the very start of the pandemic working on the "front lines" so I spoke a lot about that. I did the feedback interview last year and the advise that the person gave me was to outline all of my essays as if I were going to rewrite them and see if my old essays should be scrapped or just edited. I ended up totally rewriting half of my secondary essays. The feedback interviewer did advise me to lean heavily on the experience I gained working during the pandemic since that was not on my previous application. I would highly suggest doing the feedback session with OHSU, it was really informative and helped me target where I needed improvement. I would say just because you don't have new experiences doesn't mean you can't speak about a different story or self growth that you have had this last year. I had some family struggles this past year on top of the pandemic so I spoke about how I felt I have grown more resilient and have learned to cope with my anxiety better. I think OHSU values honesty about your personal struggles and how your experiences have helped you grow as a human. Hope this can help in some way!
Thank you so much for your input!!

Hi y'all,

Withdrawing my seat today in the upcoming MD class. Good luck, all the best! 🍀

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AAAAHHHHH just got the good news!! This feels so surreal 😁

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I am just a 2021-2022, but I saw activity on a 2020-2021 thread and came in here to see what kind of activity is going on. Come to find out OHSU is accepting people half a week before class starts?!?! This must be agonizingly joyful for you! Congratulations!!!!!

• Care
I hope you get in!!
Aw! Thank you so much! I'm still waiting. I believe orientation is tomorrow and according to previous cycles, some people still get off the waitlist on the day of orientation. 🤞

Reactions: 1 user
Aw! Thank you so much! I'm still waiting. I believe orientation is tomorrow and according to previous cycles, some people still get off the waitlist on the day of orientation. 🤞
Hope you got in! Wonder if anyone got in at the last week possible?