2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Oregon Health and Science University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
  1. What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1550 characters)
  2. Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1550 characters)
  3. Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. (1550 characters)
  4. Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response. AAMC's Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students & OHSU Recommended Prerequisites (2050 characters)
  5. Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1550 characters)
  6. Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service. (1550 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1594581493603.png

Does anyone know if it is fine to submit a letter from my research PI even thought he never though I never took a class with him? The wording from their website is kind of vague so I am not quite sure. Thanks!

View attachment 312592

Does anyone know if it is fine to submit a letter from my research PI even thought he never though I never took a class with him? The wording from their website is kind of vague so I am not quite sure. Thanks!
Call them (or email them, which is slower). They are a pretty good office to work with, if not a little slow (which is universal these days anyway).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive secondary?
I haven't been verified/transmitted yet (dang transcripts) but last year they came out really late. OHSU is notoriously slow.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't been verified/transmitted yet (dang transcripts) but last year they came out really late. OHSU is notoriously slow.
Do you think it'd be worth it to pre-write? Do you know if Oregon has been consistent with their prompts?

They've been pretty consistent. Last year there was one change to their myriad of essay questions.

Can any students comment on the curriculum at Oregon? Specifically, how much time is spent in passive learning (lectures) vs active learning (team, problem, case based stuff?)

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1550 characters)
  2. Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1550 characters)
  3. Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. (1550 characters)
  4. Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response. AAMC's Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students & OHSU Recommended Prerequisites (2050 characters)
  5. Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1550 characters)
  6. Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service. (1550 characters)

Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Oregon Health and Science University
Secondary has been posted. :)

Are we supposed to receive a complete email? Or should the portal have a status that says complete?

Any OOS still waiting for secondary?

Reactions: 10 users
They don't prescreen according to their secondary.

I guess I have no idea how they are sending out secondaries lmao. It is nice though not to worry about it with all the secondaries piled up right now.

How much is it worth filling out the secondary if they don't screen and you're OOS? Thanks!

How much is it worth filling out the secondary if they don't screen and you're OOS? Thanks!
Definitely see if you fit their mission groups. If you don't, then I would say probably not super worth it if you aren't really set on the school.

Definitely see if you fit their mission groups. If you don't, then I would say probably not super worth it if you aren't really set on the school.

My stats aren't too far off from their entering class profile, but at best, I might fit two of the mission groups (with one of them, I'm being very generous with myself) and I'm OOS. Probably not worth it, huh? Thanks for answering!

My stats aren't too far off from their entering class profile, but at best, I might fit two of the mission groups (with one of them, I'm being very generous with myself) and I'm OOS. Probably not worth it, huh? Thanks for answering!
They have a really receptive admissions committee, feel free to call and ask them! If you fit one of the mission groups, that might be enough!

OOS Secondary recieved.

Also, I think they rule of thumb I heard from someone for the high stat mission group is, if you are OOS and not from Idaho 3.7+ and 515+. Also if you fit an actual mission group then definitely apply.

Anyone struggling to actually add info into the secondary? I was able to get through a few items but now whenever I try to save any responses it says "session timed out" and takes me back to the login page. Maybe too many people on it right now?

Anyone struggling to actually add info into the secondary? I was able to get through a few items but now whenever I try to save any responses it says "session timed out" and takes me back to the login page. Maybe too many people on it right now?
I timed out while just trying to copy the questions onto my word doc! I thought it was just me, ha.

I remember from last year it would time out pretty quick.

What do you mean by mission groups for OOS applicants?

What do you mean by mission groups for OOS applicants?
This is from their website:

Mission-based Groups
The School of Medicine gives strong preference to the following applicants:
  • Residents of Oregon.
  • Non-resident applicants with Oregon Heritage. The School of Medicine uses the Oregon Heritage Policy for student selection, but it is not used as a basis for determining residency, and therefore the tuition a student pays. Oregon Heritage is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years of attendance at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from any regionally accredited college or university in Oregon and attended at least two years at any regionally accredited college or university in Oregon no more than 7 years prior to the time of application.
  • Applicants who are WICHE-certified in Allopathic Medicine.
  • Applicants applying to the MD/PhD Combined Degree Program.
  • Applicants applying to the MD/MPH Combined Degree Program.
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. Superior achievements are defined as significant experiences in healthcare, leadership, extracurricular activities, and/or community service activities.
  • Applicants whose personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare.
The School of Medicine Admissions Committee adheres to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination on the basis of sex, age, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability, military service, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. The Committee also fully recognizes the importance of diversity in its student body and in the physician workforce in providing for effective delivery of health care. Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine.

OOS Secondary recieved.

Also, I think they rule of thumb I heard from someone for the high stat mission group is, if you are OOS and not from Idaho 3.7+ and 515+. Also if you fit an actual mission group then definitely apply.

I apologize for being a terrible reader but just to clarify: If you are non-Idaho, OOS, best chance is having those over-class-average stats AND fit one of the mission groups? Thanks again!

I apologize for being a terrible reader but just to clarify: If you are non-Idaho, OOS, best chance is having those over-class-average stats AND fit one of the mission groups? Thanks again!

Yeah I could have phrased it better but referring to the post showing the mission groups, if you are from Idaho you fit the WICHE group ( I emailed them about this), this means you are OOS and your stats show up in the OOS category but they treat you like an IS applicant so your stats can be lower. If you are not from Idaho or Oregon, you are OOS fully so it means that you have to be in the academic and other excellence group. Being a primary care oriented school they obviously prefer high stats over research. Basically if you got the stats for OOS they have a specific group for that, you dont have to fit into other groups but it will help you if you do.

Hey guys! In the secondary portal, I noticed that there is a section of "extracurricular" asked us to list past experiences. Is this similar to the primary app? Should I paraphrase a little bit?

Would someone please explain how they formated/answered the pre-medical competencies prompt? I keep running out of characters to "describe" my path.

• Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response.

I wrote out a narrative describing how I went about fulfilling the competencies. Once I was done, I went back in and cut out what wasn’t absolutely essential to include.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how stringent they are on their LOR requirements? I have two faculty and two MD letters :/

Anyone know how stringent they are on their LOR requirements? I have two faculty and two MD letters :/

This is what their website says:

5. What happens if I cannot obtain three academic letters of recommendation? Will OHSU still process my application?

If you cannot obtain the required academic letters, OHSU will still process your application. However, applicants who have recently been students should be aware that applications with fewer than the required number of academic letters may be considered less competitive.

Just to clarify and sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I cannot find any mention of OHSU offering consideration to Idaho residents. Does anybody know if it is worth applying as one?

Definitely worth it if you are in a mission group.

If not, I would say chances are extraordinarily slim.

Submitted today! OOS for MD/PhD. Pretty excited to hear more as I really like this school. Best of luck everybody! Happy to answer any secondary questions or to be an idea board!

Is being URM and coming from a low SES-background considered one of their mission-based groups? I was thinking the "Applicants whose personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare" is a way of saying that. Thoughts??

is there no Why us? essay for this school?

Seems tough to make my case...

Is being URM and coming from a low SES-background considered one of their mission-based groups? I was thinking the "Applicants whose personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare" is a way of saying that. Thoughts??

I say yes!