2020-2021 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got one this morning around 9:30
Glad to hear you both got interview invites! That means the waitlist is moving and good for all of us :)
Congratulations! It took a couple days for me to get the schedule for interviews, just as an FYI.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Glad to hear you both got interview invites! That means the waitlist is moving and good for all of us :)
Congratulations! It took a couple days for me to get the schedule for interviews, just as an FYI.
Thank you! And that’s good to know; I was worried why they weren’t responding to my email lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II Rejection but already accepted to top choice DO school. I wasnt interested in coming here even with an acceptance, but puzzled why I didn’t even get a interview. Have some friends that will end up going here, wish everyone the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-II Rejection but already accepted to top choice DO school. I wasnt interested in coming here even with an acceptance, but puzzled why I didn’t even get a interview. Have some friends that will end up going here, wish everyone the best!
This process is such a crapshoot, and repeatedly humbles you haha

Also got that Pre-II R! But at least I'm in good company :)

Just received an interview invite ten minutes ago...not sure if this is an accident or the real thing?
I received an interview invite almost 10-12 hours after I contacted Mr. Kennedy asking if KYCOM was still interviewing. Literally the next morning lol, so it's definitely real!

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone, what an application cycle it has been!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, today was Match day and while I don’t have stats I wanted to post that we have a ton of people who matched into a variety of fields. A lot of what I am seeing is EM, Surgery, IM, Family, OB, some Anethesia and Radiology :)
Any word on the full match list yet? Thanks!

So I got a rejection last week and had a chance to speak with Mr. Kennedy who was very straightforward about my application, which I certainly appreciate. He stated that my undergraduate GPA was too low and that although I had a 3.7 post-bacc sGPA with 28 credit hours that KY-COM basically doesn't look at that. He also said that regardless of my MCAT scores, nothing short of a Master's in Biology or something similar would be able to boost my application "since you started in a hole." My question is, does anyone know if that is how most of the schools view their applicants? I was under the impression that a good post-bacc and MCAT would negate undergrad shortcomings...
I know your post is older, but I just wanted to say that every school is at least a little different in what they're looking for. I know plenty of folks with great post-bacc's that got acceptances. KYCOM may not consider it (and they clearly prefer a Master's), but loads of other schools do. I did some research into KYCOM because this was a top school for me and I noticed that their trends in acceptances have changed slightly over the past couple of years. It seems they are getting more competitive, but I'm not entirely sure why.

But the point is, you're right - most schools seem to consider a good post-bacc and MCAT negates poor undergrad performance. Keep your head up. *hugs* There's no need to consider a master's and all of that money (I'm assuming that's what you're thinking). Feel free to send me a PM if you ever want to vent.

• Care
I just got the email from Mr. Kennedy regarding the guaranteed waitlist offer and that I would be getting an official letter in the next week-ish. I did respond to the email saying I would be accepting it when it arrived.

I was wondering, am I jumping the gun by letting him know and how does the seat deposit process work? Does earlier payment mean higher spot and what other factors impact the ranking? I did include these questions in my email response to him but I wanted to ask here as well.

I just got the email from Mr. Kennedy regarding the guaranteed waitlist offer and that I would be getting an official letter in the next week-ish. I did respond to the email saying I would be accepting it when it arrived.

I was wondering, am I jumping the gun by letting him know and how does the seat deposit process work? Does earlier payment mean higher spot and what other factors impact the ranking? I did include these questions in my email response to him but I wanted to ask here as well.
+1, also just got this email. I’m pretty confused about how this works

Members don't see this ad :)
+1, also just got this email. I’m pretty confused about how this works
Mr. Kennedy told me that he's free after 2 PM so I'll try to take some notes when he goes through it with me and reply back after I call him today!

• Love
Mr. Kennedy told me that he's free after 2 PM so I'll try to take some notes when he goes through it with me and reply back after I call him today!
Thank you that would help me so much! I’m working super late today so I don’t now when id be able to call him

I was told that your deposit date (when they receive it) is the biggest ranking factor for your waitlist spot.

So I talked to Mr. Kennedy yesterday evening and basically he confirmed that the seat deposit (when they receive it) is the main factor in determining rankings. I was also told that there are 173 students who have put in a deposit to hold their seat. The class size is 145, but there should be movement this month and next month as well.

I interviewed yesterday and just received the email for guaranteed admissions waitlist. Since I have an acceptance at another school and there’s over 100 people already on the waitlist, I’ll be declining the offer. Hopefully this opens a new spot for someone else. Good luck everyone! 😁

Just withdrew my seat due to family emergency. Hope it goes to one of you guys. Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Do any current students have suggestions on where most students live? Looking for a more kinda modern 1 bedroom near campus!

So I was just wondering, but KYCOM DOES honor the "guaranteed waitlist" correct? I was trying to look for people who have previously gotten off the guaranteed waitlist OR enrolled in the next year's class based on this guaranteed waitlist offer, but have been having trouble finding any responses or info on this.

Last edited:
Once your deposit is in, you should get an invite to the facebook group. There are a lot of local listings on there.
I think about 90%+ of students live within 5 minutes of campus. I know I plan on living within walking distance...

Once your deposit is in, you should get an invite to the facebook group. There are a lot of local listings on there.
I think about 90%+ of students live within 5 minutes of campus. I know I plan on living within walking distance...
I've been in the Facebook group since last year and I haven't found anything that I personally like lolll

I've been in the Facebook group since last year and I haven't found anything that I personally like lolll
It is definitely slim pickings. There are a few really solid apartments about a 20-minute drive out, but I agree with you... need to have your priorities figured out because no one apartment has everything you need.

Yes I did join the FB group and hopefully plan to live walking distance...do you know anything about The Branch Apartments?

I just withdrew my seat. I am excited for whoever snags it!

• Care
Withdrew my seat this morning. Good luck to those of you on the WL!

• Care
Yes I did join the FB group and hopefully plan to live walking distance...do you know anything about The Branch Apartments?
The branch apartments are not walking distance. They are nice though.

Many students live at the commons and branch apartments which are both driving distance. Then Hensley has apartments downtown that are walking distance.
Comb through the Facebook page for listing as that will be your best resource to find places.

Wondering if anyone had any info on waitlist movement? When I last emailed Mr. Kennedy on 6/1, he toldme that "things will open up" in 7-14 days after Memorial Day weekend which gives me some hope but I don't now anything about the numbers at this point...and that I'd get a call if a spot were to open up for me.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I wish everyone on the waitlist good luck!

• Care
anyone heard anything else about the waitlist and the possible movement?
I emailed Mr. Kennedy this week and yesterday he told me he has been doing a camp for HS students wanting to get into medical school this whole week.
He told me he will get back me to as soon as he gets back to his office, so hopefully soon!

Has anyone moved from the waitlist to the incoming class or have any information? 😭 getting super nervous and hoping for an acceptance 🤞🏻

I just emailed Mr. Kennedy this morning and he told me there have been no drops in the past week, so there is no movement on the waitlist as of right now. He stated we are free to contact him at any point about waitlist movement.

If anyone else is in contact with Mr. Kennedy please let us know about updates! I'm planning to email again on Thursday

Update: Mr. Kennedy informed me that only 2 people dropped from the waitlist in the last 3 weeks when last year 14 people dropped in this same time period. He stated that normally people will continue to drop until orientation and that he will call if a spot opens.

Hey all, super random post- I’m a new attending, and moved to pikeville for working PMC. I’m 32, wife is same age, and we have a 4 year old and one on the way. We don’t know anyone here. Would love to connect if anyone has spouses who are also new to Pikeville.

Last edited:
Hey all, just wanted to drop some advice for those worried about a lower GPA/MCAT. There is a screen that is initially set up for 3.2 and I believe 498-500, but if there is still room they will often overlook that based on the rest you have to offer. Should you get an interview, you will need to be ready to tell them about your low gpa/mcat, what happened, how you adjusted; what you learned from the experience, etc. Medical school is rough academically and they don’t want to set you up for failure so they will look into it. While you may take 12-16 hrs in college a semester, your first semester in med school is on the average of 22 credits (nearly double). They will do their best to make sure you are capable because the last thing anyone wants is a huge debt that could have been prevented. If you have questions please reach out to me. I feel like I’ve been helpful in the past to people (‍♀️),but I’m transparent and will tell you what I know (the reality of it, nothing sugar coated). I’m not paid by the university to be on here or anything like that, I just know what it was like being on your side and wish I had someone to help so that’s what I do :)
What's my chance of getting a interview with 3.7 GPA but 496 MCAT(125 BB,125 Chem,125 PSY, 121 CARS)

What's my chance of getting a interview with 3.7 GPA but 496 MCAT(125 BB,125 Chem,125 PSY, 121 CARS)
I would say to retake your MCAT. Unfortunately that will likely be too low for consideration.