2020-2021 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they send rejections? My application has been complete since late August and I haven't heard anything.
I don’t know the answer. Please send a note to Mr. Kennedy. He is a great guy and responsive. That’s not just my opinion, it’s universal!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do they send rejections? My application has been complete since late August and I haven't heard anything.
They do but their application season is longer than some schools, so it could be late April before you hear anything.

Has anyone received the email regarding the guaranteed admissions waitlist? Can anyone give me more info about that? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students speak to safety and crime in Pikeville? I looked up crime statistics and Pikeville is one of the worst in the country...

Reactions: 1 user
I also saw the crime statistics before I attended and was very concerned about it. In my n=1 experience, I haven't had anything happen when I was living in Pikeville. I did spend a large majority of my time in my apartment or on campus though. It seems that a huge majority of the crimes are classified as property crimes.

Reactions: 1 users
Ha. You sound more like an engineer! But it’s just not n=1 because you would have heard about stuff. How long and when were you there ? - meaning is it recent.

Ha. You sound more like an engineer! But it’s just not n=1 because you would have heard about stuff. How long and when were you there ? - meaning is it recent.
I am a current fourth year. I have not heard anything in particular about this, I feel like the immediate area around the campus is safe. I lived in the pikeville commons and I did not have any issues there during my time either.

Hey everyone, today was Match day and while I don’t have stats I wanted to post that we have a ton of people who matched into a variety of fields. A lot of what I am seeing is EM, Surgery, IM, Family, OB, some Anethesia and Radiology :)

Reactions: 6 users
Any current students here that can provide their perspective on this - crime in Pikeville?
Very little to none. I have lived there for 3 years and nothing has happened any where close to me

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, today was Match day and while I don’t have stats I wanted to post that we have a ton of people who matched into a variety of fields. A lot of what I am seeing is EM, Surgery, IM, Family, OB, some Anethesia and Radiology :)
Do you know what the match rate is?

Received an interview invite today! Thank you to those giving up seats... this is my number 1 pick for schools, as odd as that may seem to most.

Are they still sending invites / should I send an update letter
DO IT. I just sent an update letter today expressing my interest in the school and 30 minutes after confirming they received it, I got an interview invite!

• Wow
DO IT. I just sent an update letter today expressing my interest in the school and 30 minutes after confirming they received it, I got an interview invite!
Did u send it to them in an email or upload to the portal? If email, which one?

Withdrew my acceptance from KYCOM. Really a GREAT school but wanted to go close to home. Hope it goes well for one of you! Wish you all the best.

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet for the class of 2025? Heard there has been some movement.

Someone asked at the Virtual fair today if interviews are still being conducted and Mr. Caudill said that interviews are temporarily suspended because of the waitlist 😭
They may resume the interviews at some point later on this application cycle

Someone asked at the Virtual fair today if interviews are still being conducted and Mr. Caudill said that interviews are temporarily suspended because of the waitlist 😭
They may resume the interviews at some point later on this application cycle
Interesting, I had my interview early last week. I must have been the very very very VERY last interview, lol.

That being said, I would gladly take a seat in the class of 2026 as well... Does anyone know when their committee meets? It sounds like this week will be their last meeting if this is true...

Kind of weird Dr. Caudill mentioned they might resume later this cycle given it is almost May and time to put this year's apps in... they would have to clear the waitlist which apparently is 100+ strong? I've heard stories here about people getting off the waitlist and accepted the day before class started.

Interesting, I had my interview early last week. I must have been the very very very VERY last interview, lol.

That being said, I would gladly take a seat in the class of 2026 as well... Does anyone know when their committee meets? It sounds like this week will be their last meeting if this is true...

Kind of weird Dr. Caudill mentioned they might resume later this cycle given it is almost May and time to put this year's apps in... they would have to clear the waitlist which apparently is 100+ strong? I've heard stories here about people getting off the waitlist and accepted the day before class started.
Where'd you find the info there's 100+ on the waitlist? :O

Where'd you find the info there's 100+ on the waitlist? :O
In the most recent update from the admissions director, there are over 100 people on the waitlist:

"Finally, I know some of you are still debating where you will attend medical school. I know that this is a life altering decision, not to be made lightly. If you are considering attending a different school or have decided to attend elsewhere please let me know ASAP. This will not threaten your acceptance to KYCOM in any way. We have a waitlist of over 100 deserving applicants and your honest communication will help me to best communicate to the students on this wait list."

I am one of those applicants who will (very likely) be attending in my home state and I'm withdrawing my acceptance here. It's been an extremely difficult decision but I have opted for an easier route for myself and my family. I wish each and every one of you the very best in your adventures. ❤️

Don't lose hope. There is still SO MUCH time!!

• Care
I hope those people who have been accepted and will be attending other schools reaches out to KYCOM to let them know so they can move people up and get back to interviewing deserving applicants! 😁

Reactions: 3 users
When is the last date for currently accepted students to accept or decline their position at KYCOM? I'm a current student on the waitlist... hoping to enter the class of 2025 :/ Has KYCOM sent an updated email to anyone about the waitlist and how many people will likely move off of it? Has anyone already been moved off of the waitlist to the class of 2025?

I emailed Mr. Kennedy yesterday and got an email for an interview invite THIS MORNING from KYCOM saying that the class is nearly full, so I guess there is movement! I was told to email Mrs. Lockhart to schedule it. I was also informed I may be entering into the next class or moved into July 2021 based on space

Hey! I was wondering if you could give a rundown of how the interview went?

I emailed Mr. Kennedy yesterday and got an email for an interview invite THIS MORNING from KYCOM saying that the class is nearly full, so I guess there is movement! I was told to email Mrs. Lockhart to schedule it. I was also informed I may be entering into the next class or moved into July 2021 based on space
Hi! That's great news! What did you include / ask in your email to Mr. Kennedy regarding the interviews?

Hey! I was wondering if you could give a rundown of how the interview went?
Absolutely! PM me when you find out who your interviewers are.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my interview; it has been almost a month at this point so just remember to be patient.

Hi! That's great news! What did you include / ask in your email to Mr. Kennedy regarding the interviews?
Pretty much all I did was put in a sort of "letter of intent/interest" showing that I was still interested in attending and basically asked Mr. Kennedy if interviews were continuing and if applications were still being reviewed at this point of the cycle!

So I got a rejection last week and had a chance to speak with Mr. Kennedy who was very straightforward about my application, which I certainly appreciate. He stated that my undergraduate GPA was too low and that although I had a 3.7 post-bacc sGPA with 28 credit hours that KY-COM basically doesn't look at that. He also said that regardless of my MCAT scores, nothing short of a Master's in Biology or something similar would be able to boost my application "since you started in a hole." My question is, does anyone know if that is how most of the schools view their applicants? I was under the impression that a good post-bacc and MCAT would negate undergrad shortcomings...

• Care
I just received my admission email. It is for the class of 2026, with the possibility of getting in this year.

Third-year reapplicant. Whoever doesn't intend on going there, drop your seat for me ;)

Hey guys! So yesterday I was lucky enough to get accepted to my top choice MD program after being waitlisted 5-6 months ago. As soon as my background check is cleared and I receive the formal acceptance, I will withdraw my acceptance to KYCOM so it can go to one of you! Goodluck to everyone!

• Love
Hey guys! So yesterday I was lucky enough to get accepted to my top choice MD program after being waitlisted 5-6 months ago. As soon as my background check is cleared and I receive the formal acceptance, I will withdraw my acceptance to KYCOM so it can go to one of you! Goodluck to everyone!
Big congratulations and thank you for being considerate!

I was just accepted at another program, so now there's a spot open for one of you! Best of luck! See ya on the flip side <3

Congrats to everyone being accepted to your dream program, and as other peers posted on here, if you are accepted elsewhere and will not be attending KYCOM, please be kind and let Mr. Kennedy know as soon as possible so that interviews can resume and the waitlist move up! If you are on the waitlist and no longer are planning to attend KYCOM, please let the Admissions Office and Mr. Kennedy know too!

There's still a lot of us waiting for a seat! Thank you so much! 😁😄

Reactions: 4 users
If any current students can answer my questions, I would really appreciate it! How has your experience with KYCOM been overall? Are your classmates helpful and nurturing environment? Are the professors helpful or is it all on your own?

Just received an interview invite ten minutes ago...not sure if this is an accident or the real thing?