2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted into UTMB on Monday with a scholarship offer! I also inquired about their April 15th date and it appears that they were wanting backing by TMDSAS about this deadline (since they start in July) but may not have gotten it (especially since other schools weren't enforcing it). I have until April 30th (original deadline) to make a final decision. Good luck to anyone else on the waitlist!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I was accepted into UTMB on Monday with a scholarship offer! I also inquired about their April 15th date and it appears that they were wanting backing by TMDSAS about this deadline (since they start in July) but may not have gotten it (especially since other schools weren't enforcing it). I have until April 30th (original deadline) to make a final decision. Good luck to anyone else on the waitlist!
congrats, @Swill12 !

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! 😊 anyone else hear back?

I just got off the waitlist!! I'm so grateful, UTMB was my 1st choice T.T

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Congrats @LoyalRoyal415 and @FourthHawk! Sorry to be that person, but would either of you mind sharing your stats and if you sent an update letter or LOI at any point? If you don't feel comfortable, feel free to PM me.

Just got off the waitlist! Excited to join the incoming class :)

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Newbies off the waitlist, make sure you join the Facebook group and, more importantly, the GroupMe so you can get to know your fellow classmates. We have a very active conversation there!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats @LoyalRoyal415 and @FourthHawk! Sorry to be that person, but would either of you mind sharing your stats and if you sent an update letter or LOI at any point? If you don't feel comfortable, feel free to PM me.
I'm ORM with 3.9 GPA and 512 MCAT. I did not send any updates or LOI, so I don't think they weigh as much in the context of your entire application.

Newbies off the waitlist, make sure you join the Facebook group and, more importantly, the GroupMe so you can get to know your fellow classmates. We have a very active conversation there!
Do I have to be added onto the FB page/GroupMe by someone, or can I just join?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UTMB accept update letters? An if so, do we upload it to the portal or by email? Currently on the waitlist and I am freaking out, really don't want to have to reapply again.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hello friends,

Do we automatically get removed off the waitlist on May 15 if we hold another acceptance at a texas school?

Hello friends,

Do we automatically get removed off the waitlist on May 15 if we hold another acceptance at a texas school?
In essence, yes.
I'm not sure there is an official format for this within the system the admissions committees use, but when looking to fill any gaps in their roster after May 15, each school will be checking to see if their WL candidates hold any Texas acceptances.

In essence, yes.
I'm not sure there is an official format for this within the system the admissions committees use, but when looking to fill any gaps in their roster after May 15, each school will be checking to see if their WL candidates hold any Texas acceptances.
So theoretically, we should expect to see waitlist movement around May 1st due to the April 30th commitment deadline, then again after May 15th when they wheedle the wait list as well? That's something to look forward to!

So theoretically, we should expect to see waitlist movement around May 1st due to the April 30th commitment deadline, then again after May 15th when they wheedle the wait list as well? That's something to look forward to!
I don’t have official data, but unfortunately, the number of vacancies that appear in the class after May 15 are very low. These are usually “residual vacancies”, meaning a person for example gets an offer at UTSW on May 15 before 5 pm and declines their UTMB seat the same evening or following morning, so that forces the waitlist to go down to candidates that have no acceptances. And of course, the rarer cases of people getting off an OOS waitlist late, not having the right prerequisites so they can’t matriculate, and even rarer cases of people having a family emergency or deciding that being a doctor wasn’t the right fit for them at the time.

You can send one via email, sooner is better at this point.
Thanks for the reply! I had already sent a letter of intent and I'm pretty sure that is what put me in the alternate pool in the first place. Is it bad form to also send an update letter? I do have an update, I'm just worried it'll seem desperate or annoying.

Thanks for the reply! I had already sent a letter of intent and I'm pretty sure that is what put me in the alternate pool in the first place. Is it bad form to also send an update letter? I do have an update, I'm just worried it'll seem desperate or annoying.
what more can you say beyond a letter of intent?

what more can you say beyond a letter of intent?
I sent the letter of intent in December and I didn't have a major update, just talked a bit about grad school and public health and why I think I would be a good fir for UTMB. This January, I got accepted into a research project conducted through Baylor and Texas Children's Hospital. It's a mix of quantitative and qualitative research which I've never done before, my other research experiences have been lab based only. I thought that might be something they would want to know.

If I uploaded an update to the portal but received no response should I email it to them as well? I just want to make sure they received it.

If I uploaded an update to the portal but received no response should I email it to them as well? I just want to make sure they received it.

I sent one in an email and was told it would be added to my portal! As long as it’s in the portal it’s available to them, but will only be looked at if they’re interested in seeing updates. ‘Unofficial’ part of your application at this point.

In essence, yes.
Does this refer to only TMDSAS schools or all Texas schools?

Gave up my spot here this morning! Good luck to everyone on the WL :)
Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Got A call earlier today!!! I am OOS with LM74

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
It seems like there is a lot less movement this year compared to last. :/ or maybe just less reporting

Already sent a letter of intent to UTMB January before the match, currently on the waitlist. Should I send another one? I don't have significant updates since then so I am not really sure.

Already sent a letter of intent to UTMB January before the match, currently on the waitlist. Should I send another one? I don't have significant updates since then so I am not really sure.
In the same exact position and I was debating doing the same thing. I looked up online and Shammasian or whatever that consulting company is recommends only sending LOIs with significant updates 😔

• Haha
In the same exact position and I was debating doing the same thing. I looked up online and Shammasian or whatever that consulting company is recommends only sending LOIs with significant updates 😔
Saw that too, my only significant update is waiting for UTMB to send me an A lmfao

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
I just got accepted off the waitlist at noon today! I'd say contrary to what people on here have been saying, shoot your shot!! It'd be kind of strange of me to share what I sent to get off the waitlist, but if you scour sdn and reddit there are stories of people sending in poems or picture collages that combine interesting things about that person, their desire to go to medical school, and why that particular med school is the place for them.

If you're going to do it though, just make something that is personal to you and helps you stand out. I think cheesy is underrated.

What's the worst they are gonna do, say no? Best of luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I just got accepted off the waitlist at noon today! I'd say contrary to what people on here have been saying, shoot your shot!! It'd be kind of strange of me to share what I sent to get off the waitlist, but if you scour sdn and reddit there are stories of people sending in poems or picture collages that combine interesting things about that person, their desire to go to medical school, and why that particular med school is the place for them.

If you're going to do it though, just make something that is personal to you and helps you stand out. I think cheesy is underrated.

What's the worst they are gonna do, say no? Best of luck everyone!
When was your interview and when did you submit your stuff to get off the waitlist?

For what it's worth, there have been quite a few people joining the groupme this past week, and a few leaving as well, so the waitlist is moving.

Accepted this morning! 512 MCAT, 3.9+ GPA, OOS with absolutely zero ties to Texas or UTMB. Now time to find housing, etc. I did not end up sending an additional update or LOI.

Reactions: 8 users
Is it safe to say that today will be the last day to hear back from UTMB for people who are waitlisted IS (who hold at least 1 spot at another school)? Deadline is May 15 but idk if UTMB sends stuff out on a Saturday.

• Sad
Is it safe to say that today will be the last day to hear back from UTMB for people who are waitlisted IS (who hold at least 1 spot at another school)? Deadline is May 15 but idk if UTMB sends stuff out on a Saturday.
Yea that’s what I was thinking too but I don’t know for sure

"Final moment cutoff" for WL offers to people holding another TX admission is 5pm Central Time Zone, May 15th.

Just got the acceptance call! IS with LM of 70. Interviewed back in November. I sent in a letter of intent after the match.

Reactions: 6 users