2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just matched! so excited to start!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I couldn't find anything out about laptop requirements. Do they have any particular requirements? Also, can someone please post the Facebook page link again? I'm sooo excited to meet my classmates!

Sadly I didn't match, but I'm wondering when would be a good time to send an LOI. I think I'll wait until after the email they send out hopefully saying I'm on a waitlist, but I got a cancer research fellowship at Dell Med for this summer that I'd like to update them on. What's a good timeline for this? @wysdoc would very much appreciate your input, if you're available.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly I didn't match, but I'm wondering when would be a good time to send an LOI. I think I'll wait until after the email they send out hopefully saying I'm on a waitlist, but I got a cancer research fellowship at Dell Med for this summer that I'd like to update them on. What's a good timeline for this? @wysdoc would very much appreciate your input, if you're available.
@amzer-zo_hasta-buan Take time to work on your nice letter and send it if/when you get a WL notification. Schools will send out WL offers over the next couple of weeks, but some schools don't WL everyone. Keep on working at your research fellowship while you wait, good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Can someone let me know when they get a WL notification? Got a WL notification for SHSU like just now so wondering when UTMB usually sends them so I can prepare 😂

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
@amzer-zo_hasta-buan Take time to work on your nice letter and send it if/when you get a WL notification. Schools will send out WL offers over the next couple of weeks, but some schools don't WL everyone. Keep on working at your research fellowship while you wait, good luck!
Would sending a LOI before WL notification be too much? Also their admissions page lists an Assistant Dean of Admissions (PhD) and a Director of Admissions. Should I email the LOI to one over the other or to both?

What do we have to do now if we matched?
The way UTMB has done it traditionally is mail you a packet of papers to review, sign, and see what you need to do next.

For now, just celebrate or if they also send you an email asking you to confirm your offer, do that.

Should I do this if I’m still waiting to here back from other schools?
It's not binding until April 30th. They say in the acceptance letter that you have 2 weeks to accept before they offer the seat to someone else, so I would strongly recommend going ahead and accepting.

It's not binding until April 30th. They say in the acceptance letter that you have 2 weeks to accept before they offer the seat to someone else, so I would strongly recommend going ahead and accepting.
Lol I am an idiot. I prematched here and accepted months ago but totally thought there would be something new that I have to do...

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I am an idiot. I prematched here and accepted months ago but totally thought there would be something new that I have to do...
Clearly, from your prematch acceptance here, you are NOT an idiot, but I'm glad you figured it out!

Would sending a LOI before WL notification be too much? Also their admissions page lists an Assistant Dean of Admissions (PhD) and a Director of Admissions. Should I email the LOI to one over the other or to both?
I'm in the same boat. I'm also wondering whether sending a LOI before getting any notifications would be too early. I already have a letter pre-drafted and can send it out asap, but haven't gotten the WL notification. Maybe @wysdoc can help out. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I'm also wondering whether sending a LOI before getting any notifications would be too early. I already have a letter pre-drafted and can send it out asap, but haven't gotten the WL notification. Maybe @wysdoc can help out. Thanks!
draft your letter - I think you will hear from UTMB in the next 1-2 weeks about being on their wl.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Once we match, what should we do next outside of sending in transcripts?
Also, how do we get access to MyStar?

Once we match, what should we do next outside of sending in transcripts?
Also, how do we get access to MyStar?
They send you an email in a few days with access to MyStar! Then you will have a to-do list on there that can help track what you need to do!

They send you an email in a few days with access to MyStar! Then you will have a to-do list on there that can help track what you need to do!
Thank you so much!!! Appreciate it. Anyone know when the white coat ceremony would be?

Any waitlist emails? Got one from two other schools but still waiting 😂 Got into another med school in Texas but UTMB still has my heart. Grateful for all of y'all for answering questions and helping me throughout this process. Wishing everyone the best!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Any waitlist emails? Got one from two other schools but still waiting 😂 Got into another med school in Texas but UTMB still has my heart. Grateful for all of y'all for answering questions and helping me throughout this process. Wishing everyone the best!
Congrats on getting into the other school- Getting in anywhere is an amazing achievement!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
would do anything for a WL email from my top choice 🥺 pls utmb 😭

• Haha
Has anybody received an email about being waitlisted for UTMB yet? Got some other waitlists but looking forward to UTMB.

• Haha
For those of you who have submitted LOI, did you send them to admissions or did you upload them on the portal? When I talked to the office they said to upload it to the portal but they also kept emphasizing that there’s no guarantee it will be read. I’m wondering if I should instead email them a letter to make sure they see it, or avoid that to not make them think it’s redundant.

For those of you who have submitted LOI, did you send them to admissions or did you upload them on the portal? When I talked to the office they said to upload it to the portal but they also kept emphasizing that there’s no guarantee it will be read. I’m wondering if I should instead email them a letter to make sure they see it, or avoid that to not make them think it’s redundant.
Does this mean you've already received a WL notification or are you pulling the trigger and sending a LOI in anyway?

I tried so hard on here and reddit to convince people to rank UTMB as low as possible and it still didn't work out for me LOL. I want to get a "UTMB 2025" tattoo on my arm and email a pic to the adcoms. Would it work? Already sent a letter of intent a while ago

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
I emailed it because I had the same thought. Also, the closest thing that the portal had to a LOI for a subject was "Update/Other" or something like that. I emailed it to Theresa Silva and she uploaded it to the portal under "Update". Same with my two friends who also sent a LOI. So I would just put it on the portal. But a fair warning, I sent one and still didnt get in lol

I tried so hard on here and reddit to convince people to rank UTMB as low as possible and it still didn't work out for me LOL. I want to get a "UTMB 2025" tattoo on my arm and email a pic to the adcoms. Would it work? Already sent a letter of intent a while ago
If it helps, I don’t know anyone who matched higher than their utmb prematch haha. The match algorithm gods weren’t with us apparently lol

• Care
If it helps, I don’t know anyone who matched higher than their utmb prematch haha. The match algorithm gods weren’t with us apparently lol
My UTMB Match was at least one step higher than my prematch. Does that count? Lol!

My UTMB Match was at least one step higher than my prematch. Does that count? Lol!
Lol well, I was referring to the people that had a utmb prematch and were trying to “leap frog” into McGovern and long which they ranked higher. I didn’t see a whole lot of that, but I don’t have a huge sample size either. So while several did rank utmb low, I’m not sure if even that was enough to free spots because many are still stuck where they were haha

• Care

Saaaaame. UTMB is my top choice and I’d probably eat a sock if it meant I could get in

• Haha
Everyone with a prematch to UTMB be like: "ugh not my top choice because of location" lmfao why does this school have to be competitive af irl

• Haha
Saaaaame. UTMB is my top choice and I’d probably eat a sock if it meant I could get in
I would literally tattoo UTMB on my forehead and pay 2x the tuition and live in a box on the side of the street next to the arlans market thats close to the hospital

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I would literally tattoo UTMB on my forehead and pay 2x the tuition and live in a box on the side of the street next to the arlans market thats close to the hospital
Lol I always used to joke that I would live on the beach, like a literal beach bum if that was what it took to get in

• Care
  • Haha
I couldn't find anything out about laptop requirements. Do they have any particular requirements? Also, can someone please post the Facebook page link again? I'm sooo excited to meet my classmates!
I heard McGovern is one of the only TX schools with a laptop requirement (they make you buy a laptop outside of tuition) but an M3 there said they might get rid of it. To my knowledge UTMB doesn't do that lol

Congrats to all the new matches! I didn't match to my top choice but I'm still more than delighted to be a UTMB student. Am honestly considering just committing to here instead of waiting to get off the waitlist at the other school

I heard McGovern is one of the only TX schools with a laptop requirement (they make you buy a laptop outside of tuition) but an M3 there said they might get rid of it. To my knowledge UTMB doesn't do that lol

Congrats to all the new matches! I didn't match to my top choice but I'm still more than delighted to be a UTMB student. Am honestly considering just committing to here instead of waiting to get off the waitlist at the other school
I'm feeling the same way. It was my third match choice, 4th pick overall, but I'm absolutely thrilled with the school and will be going to look at a place this weekend. I may just lock this in and go become a UTMB doc.

TCOM makes you get a $2000 tech package that includes a MacBook 😭

TCOM makes you get a $2000 tech package that includes a MacBook 😭
dang seriously? Hopefully the students are able to opt out bc I know a bunch of people who bought new laptops this past holiday season to get better deals.😩

dang seriously? Hopefully the students are able to opt out bc I know a bunch of people who bought new laptops this past holiday season to get better deals.😩
Currently doing grad school here and they don’t let you opt out. In fact, they make their grad students buy it again if they get accepted to TCOM, even if the MacBook is the latest edition.
I guess it’s okay if you just think about their insanely cheap tuition 🥲

Hi. I pre-matched here. Is there any current MS1 or MS2 who would be willing to answer a few questions?

Waitlisted. Fingers crossed ❤️

Did anyone who didn’t match not get the alt pool email? I’m not sure if the total people who didn’t match was actually 200 or they selectively picked around 200 to be a part of the list.