2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL IS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone who didn’t match not get the alt pool email? I’m not sure if the total people who didn’t match was actually 200 or they selectively picked around 200 to be a part of the list.
would also like to know this

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted, MSAR is down right now, do y'all remember how many spots are offered for acceptance off of the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who didn’t match not get the alt pool email? I’m not sure if the total people who didn’t match was actually 200 or they selectively picked around 200 to be a part of the list.
I think it's selective. Looking at stats from last year, they interviewed around 1200 people. So they accept 230 people and then the alternate pool is 200, that doesn't make up even close to the same number. Just my hypothesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Longtime lurker here waitlisted, IS as well. I was hoping my first post was an A, but this is a decent alternative...

Reactions: 5 users
If rejected, is it possible to review your application with a committee member to see areas of improvement for next cycle? Anyone know if they do application reviews.

If rejected, is it possible to review your application with a committee member to see areas of improvement for next cycle? Anyone know if they do application reviews.
they do. My friend who did not get an interview emailed them and they responded with this: From March 1st to May 31st, we are also available to meet with reapplicants seeking a file review to discuss strategies for improving their application. You can schedule a virtual appointment at the link below. Please prepare a list of questions before the meeting. Appointment link: UTMB SOM Admissions Conferences - You can book online!

Please Note: We DO NOT meet with current applicants due to a conflict of interest. Any updates to an application can be emailed or discussed during an interview.

they do. My friend who did not get an interview emailed them and they responded with this: From March 1st to May 31st, we are also available to meet with reapplicants seeking a file review to discuss strategies for improving their application. You can schedule a virtual appointment at the link below. Please prepare a list of questions before the meeting. Appointment link: UTMB SOM Admissions Conferences - You can book online!

Please Note: We DO NOT meet with current applicants due to a conflict of interest. Any updates to an application can be emailed or discussed during an interview.
I think your link is broken

Hmm, the link works for me but I wonder if its because I'm publicly posting it? idk lol I will try to figure it out
yes I can send you my personal email if that helps. DM I guess or ill DM you if you're Olay with that

Hi, did everyone who matched receive an email about the MD/MPH program? I'm definitely interested in the program but I was wondering if I'd expressed interest in it somewhere that I don't remember and that's why I received the email or if it's something everyone received. TIA!

Hi, did everyone who matched receive an email about the MD/MPH program? I'm definitely interested in the program but I was wondering if I'd expressed interest in it somewhere that I don't remember and that's why I received the email or if it's something everyone received. TIA!
No, everyone got it. I already have an MPH and I got it.

• Haha
I’ve asked this before and didn’t get a response, but I’ll ask it again anyway. Did anyone who didn’t match with UTMB fail to get an alternate list notification? Just wondering if they actually cut several unmatched names to get to a pool of 200.

Does UTMB have a "commit to enroll" deadline? Or would I be able to stay on out-of-state waitlists until the first day of orientation?

For anyone who got off the waitlist, did they call or email you?
At this point people have been put "on" the Wait List, but I don't believe anyone has been offered admission "from" the Wait List.

I think this won't start for another couple of weeks. They will communicate by e-mail. :xf:

At this point people have been put "on" the Wait List, but I don't believe anyone has been offered admission "from" the Wait List.

I think this won't start for another couple of weeks. They will communicate by e-mail. :xf:

he must have been talking about last years admits...from what I’ve been told UTMB has mainly done waitlist offers by email

he must have been talking about last years admits...from what I’ve been told UTMB has mainly done waitlist offers by email
That's what I thought. I've heard other schools doing it by phone and I'm scared I am going to accidentally hang up on them because they sound like a telemarketer

• Haha
That's what I thought. I've heard other schools doing it by phone and I'm scared I am going to accidentally hang up on them because they sound like a telemarketer
Just pick up all galveston area numbers lol. You’d probably get a voicemail anyway

• Haha
You are right- they don’t send rejections if you interviewed
@wysdoc this is a redundant and foolish question at this point, but do you really think it’s possible UTMB had roughly 200 unmatched names left over from an interviewed pool of 1100? I don’t see how they would unless they rejected several applicants post interview

@wysdoc this is a redundant and foolish question at this point, but do you really think it’s possible UTMB had roughly 200 unmatched names left over from an interviewed pool of 1100? I don’t see how they would unless they rejected several applicants post interview
Interesting question- there might not be 200 names on the list that are totally unmatched, but UTMB only selects 200 names for their WL.
Those names have interviewed (at UTMB), and are applicants who had rated UTMB higher than their matched school or who didn't match.

With an acceptance rate for TMDSAS applicants of about 33% overall, it is a feasible scenario.

Interesting question- there might not be 200 names on the list that are totally unmatched, but UTMB only selects 200 names for their WL.
Those names have interviewed (at UTMB), and are applicants who had rated UTMB higher than their matched school or who didn't match.

With an acceptance rate for TMDSAS applicants of about 33% overall, it is a feasible scenario.
I see. I was under the impression that the number would still be higher than 200 even after you factor in your explanation of the unmatched names. At this point, I’ll just take UTMBs word for it and hope for the best.

Anyone notice the Alternate pool email stated “ Applicants holding more than one acceptance must make a decision about which school they will attend by April 15, 2021. ”

Isn’t this supposed to say May 15th? Or are they doing April?

Anyone notice the Alternate pool email stated “ Applicants holding more than one acceptance must make a decision about which school they will attend by April 15, 2021. ”

Isn’t this supposed to say May 15th? Or are they doing April?
The deadline is what each school tells you it is. If you don’t have more than one acceptance you don’t have to worry.
If you have 2 acceptances (either a TX and an AMCAS, or your TX match and a new WL offer) then you need to make a choice by April 15.

The deadline is what each school tells you it is. If you don’t have more than one acceptance you don’t have to worry.
If you have 2 acceptances (either a TX and an AMCAS, or your TX match and a new WL offer) then you need to make a choice by April 15.

Perfect, thank you very much! Doesn’t apply to me, but was confused for a second reading it.

Perfect, thank you very much! Doesn’t apply to me, but was confused for a second reading it.
Besides, @Rockysoswole, for people on the UTMB WL this April deadline could let them take you off the WL earlier: April instead of another month waiting for May :).
It encourages people who might be holding on to 2 spots to make a prompt decision.
In Texas since we have had our Match, most folks have only 1 spot right now unless they also have an OOS acceptance.

I attended the campus preview day virtually today and heard a soundbite that I'm not sure I understood. It was mentioned that April 15th is the commit to enroll deadline? Did I hear that correctly? If so, what bearing does that have on our ability to remain on WL for other TMDSAS schools (which can last until May 15th)?

I attended the campus preview day virtually today and heard a soundbite that I'm not sure I understood. It was mentioned that April 15th is the commit to enroll deadline? Did I hear that correctly? If so, what bearing does that have on our ability to remain on WL for other TMDSAS schools (which can last until May 15th)?
Are you on other waitlists at preferred schools in texas? My understanding is that if you have two or more offers you have to commit to one by April 15, which utmb outlined in the waitlist email I got. So perhaps you could get off a tmdsas waitlist or get a baylor offer before April 15. If not, you’re free to stick around on other waitlists till May 15.

Are you on other waitlists at preferred schools in texas? My understanding is that if you have two or more offers you have to commit to one by April 15, which utmb outlined in the waitlist email I got. So perhaps you could get off a tmdsas waitlist or get a baylor offer before April 15. If not, you’re free to stick around on other waitlists till May 15.
Yes to the Texas waitlists. I have indicated "plan to enroll" on the AAMC Choose your Medical School tool, accepted my UTMB offer, filed their required paperwork (background check, other forms, etc.), but I am still waiting to hear back from some TMDSAS schools. I was hoping to wait until more waitlist movement in late April/early May. The wording just stopped me in my tracks though because a "commit to enroll" deadline sounds pretty serious? Would you mind sharing a screenshot or a copy/paste of the language used in that e-mail please? Thank you in advance.

Could someone explain what the April 15th enrollment date means? I am not totally clear on if it is completely binding or not, and I want to know if accepting means that I have to remove myself from all other waitlists.

Could someone explain what the April 15th enrollment date means? I am not totally clear on if it is completely binding or not, and I want to know if accepting means that I have to remove myself from all other waitlists.
I think you are in-state, is it your match school? Have you replied in some way to their offer of admission? You can PM me if you prefer.

Anyone willing to share their apartment findings? I'm looking for a 1 bed near campus. Would love to be near other students.

Anyone willing to share their apartment findings? I'm looking for a 1 bed near campus. Would love to be near other students.
I can give you the number for a good apartment locator if that's helpful. Good luck!