2020-2021 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Washington State University

Members don't see this ad.

Current MS1 at ESFCOM. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Ghostwhey Do you know anyone from out of state? Looking at the data it just seems like a waste to apply but I would love to be in the area and like the fact that its a new school. I don't have ties to the state / region.

@Ghostwhey Do you know anyone from out of state? Looking at the data it just seems like a waste to apply but I would love to be in the area and like the fact that its a new school. I don't have ties to the state / region.

Here is some information from their website:

TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A SECONDARY APPLICATION AND BE ELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION, THE FOLLOWING MUST BE MET (THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THESE REQUIREMENTS):
Meet 3 of 4 “from Washington” ties (defined below) or a definition of “resident student” of Washington.
Ties to Washington
Regardless of the identified state of residency on AMCAS, if you demonstrate that you are “from Washington” by meeting at least 3 of these 4 ties to Washington, you meet this requirement:

1. Born in Washington
  2. Childhood address in Washington as indicated on AMCAS
  3. Graduated from a Washington high school
  4. Parent/guardian currently lives in Washington
The College of Medicine will ask an applicant who indicates that s/he/they is a Washington resident on AMCAS but does not have 3 or more ties to Washington to provide official documentation to establish that the applicant meets a “resident student” definition.

Reactions: 1 user

There are students who went to school out of state, but they still met the Ties to WA requirement. If you can’t meet 3 of 4 ties then unfortunately you have 0% chance of receiving a secondary.

Their website says 3 letters of recommendation. Would they accept/consider more than that?

Secondary Received - same as last year but they added an optional:

"Please share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (not required). "

Reactions: 2 users
Just to list them out:
Please respond to each essay below (each <300 words):

1. How will you contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine? Support your response with your experiences and/or attributes.

2. What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? What have you learned from these experiences?

3. Describe your connections to Washington communities and your interests in practicing medicine in Washington.

4. How have you built your resilience?

5. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.

6. If you are a re-applicant to WSU ESFCOM, describe what you have done since last applying to strengthen your candidacy for our medical school. If you are not a re-applicant to WSU ESFCOM, please leave blank.

7. "Please share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (not required). "

I received an email for residency verification. Did anyone else get that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it look like they send that to everyone? I haven't gotten a residency verification or a secondary yet as an IS applicant

Does it look like they send that to everyone? I haven't gotten a residency verification or a secondary yet as an IS applicant
I also received residency verification last week (7/10). IS applicant. I've submitted the packet but have not heard back, yet.

Their website says 3 letters of recommendation. Would they accept/consider more than that?

I emailed them and this was their response: "We accept a maximum of 4 letters with our minimum requirement being 3 letters. However since there is not a way for applicants to indicate which letters they would like reviewed, if you do end up submitting more than 4, all will be reviewed."

I emailed them and this was their response: "We accept a maximum of 4 letters with our minimum requirement being 3 letters. However since there is not a way for applicants to indicate which letters they would like reviewed, if you do end up submitting more than 4, all will be reviewed."
oh interesting ok

You'll only get a residency verification if you do not have 3 out of 4 in-state ties and are applying as an IS applicant. Schools seem to be slower in sending secondaries this year. I won't worry; you'll hear from them.

Does anyone know when they might start sending out interview invites?

I got my residency packet approved a couple of days ago, and then an hour later I got the secondary application!! =D

I got my residency packet approved a couple of days ago, and then an hour later I got the secondary application!! =D
+1 Portal now says "ready for screening on 7/20/2020"

Mine is "Your application is ready for screening"
Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Submitted primary a bit late (6/29) so I'm still waiting for verification. So badly hope I get to go here though!

Submitted primary a bit late (6/29) so I'm still waiting for verification. So badly hope I get to go here though!
Don't stress, that would not be late during a regular cycle, and this year, most schools have been public about their admission process being pushed back (partially because of the AMCAS release being pushed 2 weeks).

I would follow the verification thread if you're concerned about the timeline.

WSU finally approved my residency verification ~3 weeks later. I also received a secondary today

WSU historically won't give out secondaries without LORs and MCAT so those waiting should take note. My friend never heard back last year- thought it was a pre-secondary R, but he just never sent his letters to WSU.

Anybody have guidance on defining "rural?" I grew up 5 miles outside a town of 5,000 in WA state but commuted (a really long way) to high school in Seattle. Does anybody think I should designate rurality?

Update: just checked my application portal, It says that my application is "under review"! fingers crossed! =D

Last edited:
3.58 GP, 505 MCAT, 4000 hours scribing, 500 hours nonclinical volunteering, and 500 hours of research. I also had a decent amount of leadership. The email says I need to complete VITA before my interview date.

Congrats to all those receiving IIs! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your secondaries?

II, IS, Complete 7/20, stats below. VITA required before interview, but I haven't received an invite to complete the VITA, yet. Has anyone, else?

Submitted secondary on 08/01. Got II this morning.
In-state applicant.
3.75 sGPA, Engineering undergrad, URM, 509 MCAT

II this morning; IS applicant; BA and BS in undergrad; secondary submitted 07/28/2020

congrats on the II everyone!!!
Did you guys get an email or did it change on your portal?