2020-2021 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering that too. I looked and could t find anything. On their website I couldn’t even find like a ‘newly admitted’ page that explains what to expect next. I bet all that info will be in the official acceptance email.

I think I found it. But it only has 10 people. I don’t want to join yet just in case my call Tuesday is something else like this.

Am I being too neurotic? Absolutely. Will this realization calm me down? NOPE!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I found it. But it only has 10 people. I don’t want to join yet just in case my call Tuesday is something else like this.

Am I being too neurotic? Absolutely. Will this realization calm me down? NOPE!
Bahahaha If we weren’t all a bit neurotic then none of us would get into med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think the calls from the past few days are what they meant by “acceptances in early may” as per the last email? Or do you think there might be more calls next week?
I think so. The 04/30 deadline is already past. So everyone should have narrowed it down to 1 medical school at this point. There may be a couple more acceptances, but I guess it really depends if anyone declines the offer.

Feel free to chime in. I might be wrong tho. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think the calls from the past few days are what they meant by “acceptances in early may” as per the last email? Or do you think there might be more calls next week?
I'd love an update from the school on that. I know they probably can't tell us too much since their situation is still in flux, but I know the speculation on here doesn't give an accurate picture of what is happening. I just want to be able to set my expectations for the next few months, not to mention the next year.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd love an update from the school on that. I know they probably can't tell us too much since their situation is still in flux, but I know the speculation on here doesn't give an accurate picture of what is happening. I just want to be able to set my expectations for the next few months, not to mention the next year.

Same.

I am just getting ready for the next app cycle. At this point, I have very low expectations.... FYI, today is the first day that you can start filling out AMCAS 2022 app. Hopefully, next season will be better (ever so hopeful =))

Same.

I am just getting ready for the next app cycle. At this point, I have very low expectations.... FYI, today is the first day that you can start filling out AMCAS 2022 app. Hopefully, next season will be better (ever so hopeful =))
Yeah, I have pretty much lost hope. I just want to be able to move on. I will once I know these May acceptances are basically over, but not knowing what is going on prolongs the active waiting.

it aint over till the fat lady sings
im hoping that today theyre doing meetings and tomorrow/wed we might get more calls. also a week and a half later around the 15th. this is consistant with last year. :)

Very excited to have been officially accepted to WSU. This is an absolute dream school for me. I am so happy.
My biggest anxiety now is finding a place to live. If there are any current students here, could you please PM or respond with some ideas of where to live?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Very excited to have been officially accepted to WSU. This is an absolute dream school for me. I am so happy.
My biggest anxiety now is finding a place to live. If there are any current students here, could you please PM or respond with some ideas of where to live?
Something like 2/3rds of the pharmacy students lived in an appartment complex on the south hill called tressel creek. They're owned by the douglasses which have a bad reputation for above market rent and gobbelibg most of ur deposit up on move out, and they're a group who owns a bulk of the apartments in Spokane, but I thought that might help. Good luck to you :) very jealous

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Hey guys I was recently accepted and am very excited to attend however I'm concerned about the housing. Seems the area is not very safe and has a high crime rate. Anyone have any recommendations for safer areas near Spokane that are a bit more family oriented?

Hey guys I was recently accepted and am very excited to attend however I'm concerned about the housing. Seems the area is not very safe and has a high crime rate. Anyone have any recommendations for safer areas near Spokane that are a bit more family oriented?
The south hill (stay away from 29th) or northside. The only thing is driving in the winter which I dont think is that bad.
Gonzaga area might be cheaper and have higher "crime" but is within walking distance.
Spokane does a much better job of reporting crime in the city which makes it look bad on paper but it feels a lot more safe than other cities ive lived in (seattle/everett/lynwood/bothell even). There is very little violent crime in Spokane compared to other cities in WA, I think they go back and fourth with tacoma with who has more property crime. In actuality the police simply report every crime that happens instead of the vast minority of crime thats reported on the west side.
In the 4 years I was at the campus there was like half a dozen of people who's car got broken into in the parkinglot/street. If you simply dont keep valuables in your car and dont park downtown late it wont happen.

The south hill (stay away from 29th) or northside. The only thing is driving in the winter which I dont think is that bad.
Gonzaga area might be cheaper and have higher "crime" but is within walking distance.
Spokane does a much better job of reporting crime in the city which makes it look bad on paper but it feels a lot more safe than other cities ive lived in (seattle/everett/lynwood/bothell even). There is very little violent crime in Spokane compared to other cities in WA, I think they go back and fourth with tacoma with who has more property crime. In actuality the police simply report every crime that happens instead of the vast minority of crime thats reported on the west side.
In the 4 years I was at the campus there was like half a dozen of people who's car got broken into in the parkinglot/street. If you simply dont keep valuables in your car and dont park downtown late it wont happen.
Thank you, yea that's what i've heard. Do you know anything about how Liberty Lake is? Also does anyone know if WSU provides ipads for students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, yea that's what i've heard. Do you know anything about how Liberty Lake is? Also does anyone know if WSU provides ipads for students?
I thought they had u "lease to own them after 4 yrs"
And it's factored into the cost of attendance
Liberty lake is nice but not much cheaper. I always saw a roll Over or two on that super sketchy stretch on i90 every winter. There is "traffic" too goin that way to Spokane every morning which adds 10-15 min

I would agree with the other commenter. Spokane may have "high crime" objectively but they actually have lower violent crime and gang activity compared to other cities like Tacoma or Yakima. Most of the "crime" in Spokane can be chalked up to vehicular crime - that's what I would watch out for. The Police Department actually provides free steering wheel locks for the top 10 car models that are the most broken into in the city.

I've moved from Seattle to Spokane, and after living in Spokane for a few years, I feel like it's a lot more of a family town and I feel very safe here. With Spokane, it's more tweakers in the middle of the night (it's rural) who might break into your car in a ****ty neighborhood, so be smart, park in safe areas, and don't leave your valuables in your car. I've actually never had any friends or family during my time in Spokane have any issues with their cars whatsoever, though. Never had any issues myself.

As for Liberty Lake, that's in/around Spokane Valley. Spokane Valley is a little "out of the way" in my opinion. You would have to commute and it's far from some of the cooler activities going on in the city. To echo the previous commenter, there is some amazing housing in the South Hill area and really cute up-and-coming communities and shopping centers there. The only warning with the South Hill is that you have to get comfortable driving on un-plowed, steep hills in the ice and snow if you live in that part of town. If you're not comfortable driving in the snow, you should live north of the river where things are flatter, at least while you get used to the conditions.

I've personally lived in the Nevada/Lidgerwood area and loved it. The apartments are mad cheap and you get a garage, which is a live-saver in the winter. Only one major street that leads you straight to downtown. Northtown, Town and Country, anyplace near Whitworth is nice and homely. You might find more modern/urban (expensive but nice) places the closer you get to downtown and to the river.

I would agree with the other commenter. Spokane may have "high crime" objectively but they actually have lower violent crime and gang activity compared to other cities like Tacoma or Yakima. Most of the "crime" in Spokane can be chalked up to vehicular crime - that's what I would watch out for. The Police Department actually provides free steering wheel locks for the top 10 car models that are the most broken into in the city.

I've moved from Seattle to Spokane, and after living in Spokane for a few years, I feel like it's a lot more of a family town and I feel very safe here. With Spokane, it's more tweakers in the middle of the night (it's rural) who might break into your car in a ****ty neighborhood, so be smart, park in safe areas, and don't leave your valuables in your car. I've actually never had any friends or family during my time in Spokane have any issues with their cars whatsoever, though. Never had any issues myself.

As for Liberty Lake, that's in/around Spokane Valley. Spokane Valley is a little "out of the way" in my opinion. You would have to commute and it's far from some of the cooler activities going on in the city. To echo the previous commenter, there is some amazing housing in the South Hill area and really cute up-and-coming communities and shopping centers there. The only warning with the South Hill is that you have to get comfortable driving on un-plowed, steep hills in the ice and snow if you live in that part of town. If you're not comfortable driving in the snow, you should live north of the river where things are flatter, at least while you get used to the conditions.

I've personally lived in the Nevada/Lidgerwood area and loved it. The apartments are mad cheap and you get a garage, which is a live-saver in the winter. Only one major street that leads you straight to downtown. Northtown, Town and Country, anyplace near Whitworth is nice and homely. You might find more modern/urban (expensive but nice) places the closer you get to downtown and to the river.
Thank you so much for all the information! I'm just waiting for my financial aid session now so I have an idea of how much I can spend on rent

I bought a 20$ club from Walmart and sent the receipt to my insurance company and they reimbursed me. Appearently u can steal an older Honda with a screw driver otherwise. There used to be a lot of car theft 5 years ago but that has calmed down. Never felt like I "needed an SUV", just put a couple chains on the 4 days a year snow is bad and the plows are slow.
I was able to rent a big house on the south hill with classmates for $400/mo. Maybe that's 5-600$ now
I think those tressel creek apts are about $1200$/mo for a studio.
I wouldn't go through the trouble of finding a home to share unless u know ur last 2 years are in the Spokane area. Unfortunately the way wsu Pharm did the "Spokane regional area" it included some long 1-1.5 hr drives. Just stuff to keep in mind.

Hopefully I get in in this final round of A's this week otherwise I'll have to annoy everyone again with my posts next year :) have a good week all

Declined my A yesterday after getting off the waitlist at my top choice. Hopefully one of y’all gets my spot!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Remember, the epitome of MD academic efficiency is accepting the last spot on the wait list for the one school you got an interview with. lol
anything else is trying too hard/wasted effort ;)
Accepted an offer for admission today with the college. Talk about calling it close.
I am so humbeled by everyone's willingness in this thread to share their struggle and posistion in this process, as well as the ubiquitous encouragement and attitude of optimism.
I hope my analytical posts didn't come off as antagonistic to this stressful, almost year long process.
If you're reapplying just know that this gives you another year to concrenate your foundation in a way most applicants next cycle won't have the opportunity to do. That gives you an edge and 25% more time (5 vs 4 years) to learn and experience more about medicine. Time is all we have and not a lot of it.

For people reading this next cycle and beyond, I will update my post at the top of page 10 which visually summarizes this entire thread chronologically for your convience.

A dr once told me "Two things define you, your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything."

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted an offer for admission today with the college. Talk about calling it close.
I am so humbeled by everyone's willingness in this thread to share their struggle and posistion in this process, as well as the ubiquitous encouragement and attitude of optimism.
I hope my analytical posts didn't come off as antagonistic to this stressful, almost year long process.
If you're reapplying just know that this gives you another year to concrenate your foundation in a way most applicants next cycle won't have the opportunity to do. That gives you an edge and 25% more time (5 vs 4 years) to learn and experience more about medicine. Time is all we have and not a lot of it.

For people reading this next cycle and beyond, I will update my post at the top of page 10 which visually summarizes this entire thread chronologically for your convience.

A dr once told me "Two things define you, your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything."
Congrats, you deserve it! Can’t wait to meet you in a couple months!

• Care

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!

• Care
At this point it feels safe to assume their class is pretty much finalized. Does anyone have any other news or thoughts to suggest that it is not?

At this point it feels safe to assume their class is pretty much finalized. Does anyone have any other news or thoughts to suggest that it is not?
Last year they accepted 2 students between July 1st and matriculation and have done similar historically. IMO at June 1st if you haven't heard, it's very unlikely but not impossible. Get your re-application together in the meantime :)

Last year they accepted 2 students between July 1st and matriculation and have done similar historically. IMO at June 1st if you haven't heard, it's very unlikely but not impossible. Get your re-application together in the meantime :)
I read it as "they made two offers" after this point which could have been for 2 seats or 1 or a seat which went unfilled. I have been way off several times in this thread though :p
idk

I read it as "they made two offers" after this point which could have been for 2 seats or 1 or a seat which went unfilled. I have been way off several times in this thread though :p
idk
Last year they offered 4 spots at the end of may, 1 in June, and 1 in July. Not a ton of spots but I'm not giving up yet.

For those who are still waiting, don't give up!! I got the call!! It's been a wild ride really. Super excited to start my next journey!!! Woo hoo!!
Yyyaaaaaayyyyy so happy for you! I can’t wait to meet you in August!

For those who are still waiting, don't give up!! I got the call!! It's been a wild ride really. Super excited to start my next journey!!! Woo hoo!!
Congratulations!! Well worth the wait!

Last edited: