2021-2022 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @Jens825 for sharing the secondary essay question-

2021-2022 Baylor Secondary Essay Prompt

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. (2000 character limit).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
https://www.studentdoctor.net/schoo...rt_col=sdn_ranking&sort_dir=desc&psr=0&all=1&

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would it be more advantageous to apply to Baylor as an OOS through TMDSAS or AMCAS? Can we apply through both?

Would it be more advantageous to apply to Baylor as an OOS through TMDSAS or AMCAS? Can we apply through both?
Baylor switched over fully to the TMDSAS application system starting now (2021-2022 cycle).
You will apply on TMDSAS, and Baylor takes a bit more OOS matriculants than the other schools.
Only MD/PhD applications go via AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor switched over fully to the TMDSAS application system starting now (2021-2022 cycle).
You will apply on TMDSAS, and Baylor takes a bit more OOS matriculants than the other schools.
Only MD/PhD applications go via AMCAS.
Thank you, appreciate the clarification
do you know if they allow applying to both regular MD and MD/PhD?

Thank you, appreciate the clarification
do you know if they allow applying to both regular MD and MD/PhD?
Looks like you would apply to MSTP, then if not accepted but accepted to MD you can apply again after 1 year.
M.D./Ph.D. Program Admissions

If interested in MSTP, more investigation on your part will be helpful, especially to ask whether applicants turned down for MSTP are passed to the regular MD pool or not.

Should I bother applying to this school? I am a third-time applicant and did not receive an interview for both times. My MCAT is 510 and GPA is 3.71. When I look at their MSAR, they seem to be looking for very academically competitive students which is not the best version of me. Does anyone know who got into Baylor with my stat?

Should I bother applying to this school? I am a third-time applicant and did not receive an interview for both times. My MCAT is 510 and GPA is 3.71. When I look at their MSAR, they seem to be looking for very academically competitive students which is not the best version of me. Does anyone know who got into Baylor with my stat?
Reapplicants dont fare well at most medical schools unless their application has changed drastically during a reapplication. Baylor is very highly competitive and unless you have some other factors that medical schools are also looking for (great research, extraordinary volunteering service, disadvantaged minorities etc) it would be hard to say it is worth applying a third time. There are some schools like Texas A&m who promote themselves as admitting large numbers of reapplicants which is where your best chances lie.

Reapplicants dont fare well at most medical schools unless their application has changed drastically during a reapplication. Baylor is very highly competitive and unless you have some other factors that medical schools are also looking for (great research, extraordinary volunteering service, disadvantaged minorities etc) it would be hard to say it is worth applying a third time. There are some schools like Texas A&m who promote themselves as admitting large numbers of reapplicants which is where your best chances lie.
Thanks for the honest comment. I think you are right. I will be receiving a master's degree by the time I attend medical school but I don't think it's enough to offset my other weak areas. I will focus on A&M and other schools that may like my engineering background.

For Baylor's secondary, it is a very vague "special experience" of "anything that will help us evaluate you". Furthermore, because Baylor moved to TMDSAS, I was able to expound quite a bit on several special experiences in their numerous essays.

I really want to use this section (it is the only secondary prompt) to explain my specific reasons for applying to Baylor, as well as how I think my personal narrative and goals fit with their mission. However, that seems to be slightly tangential from the question itself. Would this be a good or bad idea?

For Baylor's secondary, it is a very vague "special experience" of "anything that will help us evaluate you". Furthermore, because Baylor moved to TMDSAS, I was able to expound quite a bit on several special experiences in their numerous essays.

I really want to use this section (it is the only secondary prompt) to explain my specific reasons for applying to Baylor, as well as how I think my personal narrative and goals fit with their mission. However, that seems to be slightly tangential from the question itself. Would this be a good or bad idea?
Could you post the secondary question?

Could you post the secondary question?
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. 2000 character limit.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. 2000 character limit.
Thank you!

I know Baylor is TMDAS this year but how do they feel about OOS? Especially those of us from Southern States? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Baylor is TMDAS this year but how do they feel about OOS? Especially those of us from Southern States? Thank you
Their admission requirements and patterns wont change in terms of admitting a higher percentage of OOS than the capped 10% at the other Texas schools. I also expect them to still have the highest MCATs and GPA among all Texas schools to retain their elite status.

• Care
Their admission requirements and patterns wont change in terms of admitting a higher percentage of OOS than the capped 10% at the other Texas schools. I also expect them to still have the highest MCATs and GPA among all Texas schools to retain their elite status.
Yeah. Sigh. I guess I'll focus my efforts elsewhere. Baylor is an incredible school. Maybe Texas for residency then? Wish I lived there instead of my home state

Yeah. Sigh. I guess I'll focus my efforts elsewhere. Baylor is an incredible school. Maybe Texas for residency then? Wish I lived there instead of my home state
Texas has a lot of other medical schools too and they are incredibly cheap even for OOS. The way it works, if you apply to one, you can apply to all and just need to write those additional supplements.

Texas has a lot of other medical schools too and they are incredibly cheap even for OOS. The way it works, if you apply to one, you can apply to all and just need to write those additional supplements.
I thought Baylor was the only OOS friendly one? :oops:

I thought Baylor was the only OOS friendly one? :oops:
All Texas state schools have 10% seats for OOS. Several provide instate tuition as a scholarship for OOS students. Baylor has more OOS seats (15%?) than other schools.

All Texas state schools have 10% seats for OOS. Several provide instate tuition as a scholarship for OOS students. Baylor has more OOS seats (15%?) than other schools.
Thanks so much :) good luck to you!

Any of yall studying at UH-Clear lake right now premed?

How are you guys approaching the prompt on TMDSAS "Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences: "Please describe your personal characteristics (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others?" It sounds like a usual secondary diversity essay. I don't want to use my diversity essay here and then have Baylor's secondary have the prompt "Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 characters)" and I won't have another essay to use. Any opinions on this?

How are you guys approaching the prompt on TMDSAS "Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences: "Please describe your personal characteristics (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others?" It sounds like a usual secondary diversity essay. I don't want to use my diversity essay here and then have Baylor's secondary have the prompt "Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 characters)" and I won't have another essay to use. Any opinions on this?
So I approached the TMDSAS with more of a diversity angel, and then straight up used the Baylor secondary to explain my unique goals and how Baylor would help me reach those goals, why Baylor, etc. Maybe that was unconventional, but anytime I can let a school know "why them" from a genuine place, I take the chance.

Last edited:
Nope, that's exactly what I did as well!

So I approached the TMDSAS with more of a diversity angel, and then straight up used the Baylor secondary to explain my unique goals and how Baylor would help me reach those goals, why Baylor, etc. Maybe that was unconventional, but anytime I can let a school know "why them" from a genuine place, I take the chance.

Nope, that's exactly what I did as well!
Thank you both! I have a much better idea of how to move forward now.

I noticed that a lot of the TMDSAS schools don't have specific COVID prompts so that's what I wrote about for the challenge essay in the primary.

How long does it take to receive the secondary after the school received your application?

How long does it take to receive the secondary after the school received your application?
I believe you can open a secondary application on baylor website without waiting.

sorry - looks like it has changed.

• Applicants will receive an email invitation to complete the secondary application after submission of their TMDSAS application.

I have the exact same question. I wanted to talk about my goal to work in underserved communities and my research background, but I think adding specific reasons for applying to Baylor would be good. Can anyone provide some feedback or guidance on this?

Im a bit confused about the secondary question. Is it asking us to talk about an experience that showed us prevailing over adversity? Or is it just a list "education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity." The wording is confusing for me since I don't understand if it's saying you should talk about an activity prevailing over adversity or if talking about prevailing over adversity is just one of the options.

Im a bit confused about the secondary question. Is it asking us to talk about an experience that showed us prevailing over adversity? Or is it just a list "education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity." The wording is confusing for me since I don't understand if it's saying you should talk about an activity prevailing over adversity or if talking about prevailing over adversity is just one of the options.
The only kinds of questions I won't answer for y'all are "what should I write?"
I'm sure this question is worded very vaguely intentionally, so you can take it where you want to.

If it's bogging you down too much, @violinsmed, just focus on the first part "Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, but don't repeat stuff from your primary.

The only kinds of questions I won't answer for y'all are "what should I write?"
I'm sure this question is worded very vaguely intentionally, so you can take it where you want to.

If it's bogging you down too much, @violinsmed, just focus on the first part "Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, but don't repeat stuff from your primary.
It can be considered a question about what makes you unique, tick, or anything you want to talk about but no one is asking you (as @wysdoc said, you didnt say a word in primary).

There is an equivalent stanford undergrad essay titled - "Tell us about something that is meaningful to you, and why?"

It is essentially giving readers more information about you that you want to share.

Received invite on June 9th but it's a reach for me and I don't have a lot of money to spend so I am not sure I am going to do the secondary.

Received invite on June 9th but it's a reach for me and I don't have a lot of money to spend so I am not sure I am going to do the secondary.
Hey! I can share some $$$ so you can get that secondary in. Drop your Venmo. I don't have much, but maybe we can all pitch in a little.

Hey! I can share some $$$ so you can get that secondary in. Drop your Venmo. I don't have much, but maybe we can all pitch in a little.
I wouldn't feel right doing that but thank you so much. That's really cool of you. I'm going to mull it over in the next day or so and will probably just do it. Appreciate the support though.

Should I even bother sending in my secondary to Baylor? I’m IS, 513, and have a 3.5/3.4 gpa. I know I’m well below the avg stats for Baylor so I’m wondering if I should just save my money

For those interested, I just received my secondary on 7/1/21 after TMDSAS submission on 6/8/21 (transmitted 6/30/21). The secondary application fee was $50 (compared to the $100 listed on their site).

• Love
For those interested, I just received my secondary on 7/1/21 after TMDSAS submission on 6/8/21 (transmitted 6/30/21). The secondary application fee was $50 (compared to the $100 listed on their site).
How did you only pay $50? I still had to pay $100 :((.

Should I even bother sending in my secondary to Baylor? I’m IS, 513, and have a 3.5/3.4 gpa. I know I’m well below the avg stats for Baylor so I’m wondering if I should just save my money
I have a similar GPA but lower MCAT and I didn't bother submitting my secondary for Baylor, $100 is too much and I'd save it for schools I actually have a chance at haha
I submitted secondaries to all other schools though except Dell who didn't send me a secondary (their loss!)

What is the difference between "If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. *" on the main page and "Plans for the 2021-2022 academic year description [Limit of 1000 characters]" on the MSTP page?

I have a similar GPA but lower MCAT and I didn't bother submitting my secondary for Baylor, $100 is too much and I'd save it for schools I actually have a chance at haha
I submitted secondaries to all other schools though except Dell who didn't send me a secondary (their loss!)
Dell takes their time. Who knows, maybe if your mission aligns with theirs, they will reach out!

• Care
What is the difference between "If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. *" on the main page and "Plans for the 2021-2022 academic year description [Limit of 1000 characters]" on the MSTP page?
It seems like the difference is the time frame. The first one is asking what have you done since school and submission of AMCAS. The second one is what do you plan to do between AMCAS submission and matriculation. It's a bit tricky I suppose because I suspect many people would plan on continuing whatever they are doing. Maybe the key is in the details. E.g. saying I plan to pursue this project, or want to publish this specific work, etc. over the next year

I just got Baylor's secondary last week, was curious if anyone had already gotten an interview invite? I saw somewhere on the portal they send II's June-Jan.

I just got Baylor's secondary last week, was curious if anyone had already gotten an interview invite? I saw somewhere on the portal they send II's June-Jan.
Their website says interviews are conducted from August-January so I assume invites are sent out ~3-4 weeks before

I was thinking the same thing, but I think the wording on the website may be a bit ambiguous. It says they review apps AND send out IIs starting June, so June may only refer to reviewing apps. Historically, Baylor sends IIs at the end of July!

So Baylor is probably the most competitive Texas school, but also the most oos friendly? Do you guys think its worth applying to just this school as oos, or are there others I should look into?

So Baylor is probably the most competitive Texas school, but also the most oos friendly? Do you guys think its worth applying to just this school as oos, or are there others I should look into?
If you are 518+ then I believe UTSW and a few others are worthwhile. Go on MSAR and filter for Texas. The top 3-5 programs by MCAT are OOS friendly...for high stats...

but if you are competitive for Baylor, you are competitive for the others too limited as they may be.

How did you only pay $50? I still had to pay $100 :((.
I just checked again and the fee was only $50 for me. I'm surprised they would charge different fees. I'm in-state and I don't qualify for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program.

I just checked again and the fee was only $50 for me. I'm surprised they would charge different fees. I'm in-state and I don't qualify for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program.
Interesting. I am in-state as well and didn't qualify for the AAMC Fee Assistance program. Who knows.

I submitted TMDSAS on 6/26 and it is still being processed - am I a little too late in the cycle or...? I'm hoping to be verified and receive a secondary by July end / early August but is that going to be too late? Any thoughts welcome