2021-2022 Central Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thank you for the response, that makes sense! To clarify, once we have "AORTA - EFI" status that means that complete date is no longer a factor and our application has been reviewed?
+1 I would like to know this, I was AORTA-EFI about a week after submitting my secondary
 
+1 I would like to know this, I was AORTA-EFI about a week after submitting my secondary
Same here. I guess now we just sit in the AORTA waiting our turn to be called. But I can see how my late application is a disadvantage even though complete date doesn’t exactly matter anymore
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here. I guess now we just sit in the AORTA waiting our turn to be called. But I can see how my late application is a disadvantage even though complete date doesn’t exactly matter anymore
I’m just not sure how likely it is that my application has been reviewed with such quick placement in AORTA. I think that @REL has said that the designation only means you’ve met minimum requirements.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone attended the in-person visit? What is the dress code? Business professional I'm assuming, but I wanted to be sure
 
@REL Hi! Can you please let me know when we plan to hear about our status on the waitlist? Thank you very much!!
We are in the initial formative weeks of the wait list so it has little meaning right now as members are being added weekly. Usually we provide the first update in the second half of November.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The invitation email to fill out a secondary application seems to indicate that the applications will be filtered based on the minimum GPA/MCAT values listed. Is this done automatically, or is the application looked at as a whole? I ask because my undergraduate GPA is below the minimum (personal issues in undergrad), but I've since obtained a Ph. D. with good marks. I'd hate to fill it out unnecessarily if the application won't be considered. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
 
All applications will be reviewed by a real live human once the secondary app has been completed. This review will be a general review for minimum academics, and MCAT threshholds, US citizenship, etc. In the case of academics many applicants did not excel in the bachelors years but did follow it up with a stronger effort in a core-science heavy post-bac, a second BS, MS, or PhD. We will normally judge an application based on the most recent academic effort. That doesnt mean that the earlier academics do not count, but the more recent academics are normally an indicator of current academic knowledge in the core subjects. You are welcome to email [email protected] for a more confidential conversation regarding your application if you desire.
 
All applications will be reviewed by a real live human once the secondary app has been completed. This review will be a general review for minimum academics, and MCAT threshholds, US citizenship, etc. In the case of academics many applicants did not excel in the bachelors years but did follow it up with a stronger effort in a core-science heavy post-bac, a second BS, MS, or PhD. We will normally judge an application based on the most recent academic effort. That doesnt mean that the earlier academics do not count, but the more recent academics are normally an indicator of current academic knowledge in the core subjects. You are welcome to email [email protected] for a more confidential conversation regarding your application if you desire.
Thank you very much, that is all I needed to know!
 
@REL is there any updates once EFI or would it just be an interview or an R? Thank you in advance for your transparency.
EFI means that the file has been fully reviewed and is in contention for a possible II. The EFI group applications are reviewed weekly as an interview group is formed. There are many more in the EFI group than we will be able to interview. So in the end those who did not receive an II by the middle of February will go from EFI to R.

In the initial email that you received guiding you to the site to complete your Secondary App, there was a section that indicated that you can submit up to 3 Updates during this application cycle to the Admissions Committee. Each update can contain multiple topics from volunteering, research, awards, etc. and should be submitted to the same site where your status is displayed and where you submitted your application. (It is also a good idea to email a note to the Admissions Team via [email protected] that you submitted an update.) Use the updates wisely.

As the interview season comes to a close, if you know, that you know, that you know, that a program is your absolute #1 destination and that you will enroll if an offer is made you can let that program know via a Letter of Intent (ie. no more dating, I want the ring!). A Letter of Interest is a weaker mechanism that shows a continued interest (but means that you are still interested in dating, but may not be ready for the ring yet.) You can use an update for these things too, but also remember to email the Admissions Office that it is in the Update Portal.
 
Last edited:
what does the virtual visit entail? Will applicants have to talk or ask questions? Is there an interactive component? Or do we just sit for 3 hrs and listen to the presentations?

@REL
 
what does the virtual visit entail? Will applicants have to talk or ask questions? Is there an interactive component? Or do we just sit for 3 hrs and listen to the presentations?

@REL
what does the virtual visit entail? Will applicants have to talk or ask questions? Is there an interactive component? Or do we just sit for 3 hrs and listen to the presentations?

@REL
V.V. has 5 different presentation Q/A discussions: Med School Dean, Curricular Dean, Stu Affairs Dean, Medical Students and Admissions. Each has a block of ~30 mins. There is normally a 10-15 break after the 3rd presentation. Each presentation will provide you with some information and provide time for Q/A. Med student is all discussion Q/A. All with camera's ON, You will also be provided with links in the invite email to watch short video presentations from COM Financial Aid, COM Health & Wellness, and other items to pre-familiarize you with the COM and the V.V. content. You likely received much of this in the V.V. email. You will not be required to talk, but it may go more quickly if you participate.
 
@REL do you happen to know what the average scholarship awarded to admitted students is? I know in some past post you mentioned that UCF has been able to give every student a scholarship and I am curious if that amount is standard for all students and what that may be historically (approximately)? Might it ever be more for an OOS student who does not seem to be able to legally qualify for "in-state for tuition purposes"? thanks!
 
My review is upcoming this month.. any chance of finding out the day of your review or is it always the day after?

I am so excited for this school 🙂 can’t wait to find out !
 
How long after you all were interviewed did you get the email outlining when you'd be reviewed and such? I'm just a little excited to hear back but haven't seen anything along those lines yet (interviewed earlier this week).

Update: Just got the email! My turn around was about a week more or less.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long after you all were interviewed did you get the email outlining when you'd be reviewed and such? I'm just a little excited to hear back but haven't seen anything along those lines yet (interviewed earlier this week).
+1
 
For those of you who attended the meeting with current students on Sundays, was it informative? I can’t go tonight and I have my interview next Friday. Should I attend after the interview?
 
How long after you all were interviewed did you get the email outlining when you'd be reviewed and such? I'm just a little excited to hear back but haven't seen anything along those lines yet (interviewed earlier this week).

Update: Just got the email! My turn around was about a week more or less.
I also just got the email. Interviewed November 1st and got the email for a November 30th review date today (exactly a week later).
 
II yesterday OOS! I can't seem to find the format for this interview, is it two traditional 1:1s, open or close filed? Would love to hear from others about how they felt the interview was.
 
II yesterday OOS! I can't seem to find the format for this interview, is it two traditional 1:1s, open or close filed? Would love to hear from others about how they felt the interview was.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your complete date and did you submit any updates?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anybody has any questions about UCF or anything please feel free to DM me! Current 3rd year here 👍
Thanks for the offer to answer Qs. Can you tell us more about the UCF Lake Nona Medical Center and the Cancer Center that opened this year? Specifically, are most of your rotations done in the medical center on campus? By the time our cohort gets to 3rd year, will it be the main teaching hospital where we will rotate?
 
Thanks for the offer to answer Qs. Can you tell us more about the UCF Lake Nona Medical Center and the Cancer Center that opened this year? Specifically, are most of your rotations done in the medical center on campus? By the time our cohort gets to 3rd year, will it be the main teaching hospital where we will rotate?
So our medical center opened up this year and we have already started having students rotate through on Obgyn, Surgery and Neurology. That being said, I do not think it is big enough to house all of our students. I could be wrong though but as it stands, only a few students rotate there for each service at a time. The rest of our rotations are done at other HCA facilities (Ocala, North Florida, etc) the Lake Nona and Bay Pines VA’s, and Nemour’s children’s hospital.

They’ve been saying for a few years that we are in talks with Orlando Health to restore relationships but that still seems to be in limbo since I started 3 years ago. I think Nemours is by far the closest site we have to a true academic institution.
 
I concur with the above regarding our use of the UCF Hospital as it will take several years to become a primary teaching hospital for all disciplines. You will have to use other facilities for most of the M3 rotations. We do have access to Advent Health and Orlando Health for FIRE as well as 4th year rotations. We have overwhelming support in much of our admissions process and other areas of the COM from physicians from AH, OH, Nemours, VA, and HCA (AORTA, Interviewing, teaching, volunteering) as vast majority of the OH and AH physicians are not in favor of the position of their leadership in their political stand of their leadership. The administrative leadership of AH did approach us to reconcile just prior to the COVID, as did OH, but no real discussion has occurred because they are appropriately focused on service to their patients until COVID is reduced. We did not leave them and we made it clear that we were ready to work with them (once they got over their own self-induced leadership faux paus). In the early years of the COM I was also in the Registrar Office and was able to set up the M3 rotations that were offered at both AH and OH. Those courses can be rapidly reinstituted once talks occur.

As a result we have built a very strong and effective M3 program which has yielded much higher student feedback ratings that have risen since departing AH and OH. These other institutions treat our students very well and are eager to teach. Unfortunately many of them are over 50 miles from the COM which means that the COM must provide for your accommodations while at those rotations. When assigning the M3 rotations you have an opportunity to request those rotations be in the Orlando area due to family or other hardships. Finally, there is something to be said in training with different systems to make you flexible in your learning process. I feel that this learned flexibility, the FIRE project, and strong STEP scores are major factors in your residency application/interviews as you achieve a successful Match.