2021-2022 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got email confirmation (8/30) that Hackensack has everything. Your email should look like this:

Dear <<Applicant>>,

We have received your secondary application and fee. Your application will now be in preliminary review. We will send you another email when the remaining parts of your application is reviewed and you have moved to the next step of the process. If you are missing any items from your application, an email will be sent regarding the missing items. This is a very busy time so please allow 3-6 weeks for this process.

All the best,

Office of Admissions
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
[email protected]
973-275-4838

Got my secondary 8/4, completed and subbed 8/6, so that's over 3 weeks to hear confirmation (expect it to be longer if you submitted your secondary after me).

After worriedly emailing them about a week ago to ask what the holdup was, they were very cordial in their response:

Dear <<ya boi>>,

Thanks for your interest in Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine. Yes, your application has been received, we are in the process of reviewing all the secondary applications. I hope I was able to answer your question. Please contact the Admissions department if any other questions arise.

Best of Luck!
<<nice lady speaking on behalf of SOM>>

Based on this my best guess is:
Everyone's apps have been received without email confirmation. They're taking the time to manually review everything before sending it off to review, and THAT'S when you get email confirmation. Sit tight! We got this :)
I submitted my secondary on 8/26 (I work full time and was out of the country for most of August so I was a little delayed with submission). I got the same email this morning, that I'm in preliminary review. They might just do it in batches as it didn't take me 3 weeks to get the email.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did everyone get this email:

"We have completed the first phase of our preliminary review of your application. At this time your transcript and course work are being reviewed to determine if you have successfully completed our requirements."

Is it a good sign??

"We have completed the first phase of our preliminary review of your application. At this time your transcript and course work are being reviewed to determine if you have successfully completed our requirements."

Is it a good sign??
when did you get the pre lim email?

Members don't see this ad :)

Is it a good sign??
Yeah I got that too a week after receiving the preliminary email. No idea if it's a good sign or not

Lol I haven’t heard anything since sending my secondary. Complete silence smh.

Lol I haven’t heard anything since sending my secondary. Complete silence smh.
When were you completed Jack?

Is it a good sign??
Completed 8/15, Prelim 8/19, no prelim completed email yet. When were you complete? Maybe they're reviewing applicants based on brackets right now and you're high in their priority list :)

When were you completed Jack?

Completed 8/15, Prelim 8/19, no prelim completed email yet. When were you complete? Maybe they're reviewing applicants based on brackets right now and you're high in their priority list :)
I also received the prelim email on 8/19 and have not heard anything since. They did start sending out secondaries super late so everything seems to go really slow. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

Is it a good sign??
I also got this email about 4 days after the prelim email, but have not heard anything since!

Did anyone receive a verification email after submitting their secondary? Also, are we not considered "complete" until we submit the "Document Collection" page? (I haven't submitted that in case I have updates or LOCIs months down the road...).

Did anyone receive a verification email after submitting their secondary? Also, are we not considered "complete" until we submit the "Document Collection" page? (I haven't submitted that in case I have updates or LOCIs months down the road...).
omg if this is true, this really sucks because i submitted awhile ago.

I submitted my secondary on August 5th and received an email on August 11th from them, saying that they received my secondary app and will now do a preliminary review of everything

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't get my confirmation email until I submitted my photo :/ I submitted my secondary on 8/6 but didn't notice the "you need to submit your photo for the app to be complete" until 8/29 so I never got the email until 8/30 unfort. However, when I emailed them about a week after submitting my secondary they said I'd been under review for a while so I think that means even if you didn't upload your photo just yet, they're still looking at your app. Just make sure you have the pic in there

Members don't see this ad :)
M4 here,

wanted to clarify some things said on here:

For phase 1 (pre clinical), 1.5 years is more than enough time to learn what you need to learn. There’s nothing super special about it, some lectures are great, some flop, but you generally get out at 12 and have plenty of time to learn things on your own. It seems like our class did pretty well on step 1 but n= a few so take that with a grain of salt.

For phase 2 (clinical), The hospitals in the network have had med students from other schools for awhile. Honestly nothing special about this year besides the fact they spread the EM clerkship out through the year. You take shelf exams and grading H/HP/P/F.

For phase 3: aside from the people who went into the early residency, most people continued to do rotations in areas of interest/ away rotations. The school requires a 2 week critical care elective and a 4 week sub I. A much smaller number pursued extra degrees, some people are doing dedicated research (couldn’t give you a ballpark # on that)

Feel free to ask anything else

Reactions: 4 users
I still have not heard back at all since submitting my secondary. Not even a complete email. Is that normal? Anyone else in the same situation?

I got this email a week ago:

"We have completed the first phase of our preliminary review of your application. At this time your transcript and course work are being reviewed to determine if you have successfully completed our requirements. Please note, pending courses are acceptable as long as they appear on your AMCAS application or you provide registration/course schedule. Please allow 2-4 weeks for this process to be completed."

"We have completed the first phase of our preliminary review of your application. At this time your transcript and course work are being reviewed to determine if you have successfully completed our requirements. Please note, pending courses are acceptable as long as they appear on your AMCAS application or you provide registration/course schedule. Please allow 2-4 weeks for this process to be completed."
I got that email 4 weeks ago.

Just got this email rn

I still can’t believe this school has completely ghosted me after secondary submission. I’m kind of salty ngl.

• Sad
I still can’t believe this school has completely ghosted me after secondary submission. I’m kind of salty ngl.
I'm not sure if HMSOM screens for secondaries; I could be completely wrong though. Did you try reaching out to the admissions office regarding this?

I'm not sure if HMSOM screens for secondaries; I could be completely wrong though. Did you try reaching out to the admissions office regarding this?
OP said after secondary submission? so I guess, the app might still be in the review process.

when did u submit? I think you're fine, they're just at different points of reviewing apps and i don't know if they do it in any particular order

when did u submit? I think you're fine, they're just at different points of reviewing apps and i don't know if they do it in any particular order
I submitted on 8/6 so pretty early on. I’m kind of losing hope ngl.

I submitted on 8/6 so pretty early on. I’m kind of losing hope ngl.
August 6 is when you submitted secondary? I think there's people who submitted before you and still haven't heard back.

August 6 is when you submitted secondary? I think there's people who submitted before you and still haven't heard back.
Yeah. I thought they started sending secondaries out in the beginning of August only?

Yeah. I thought they started sending secondaries out in the beginning of August only?
yea aug 4 i guess. maybe email the school if you have not gotten any email after submitting secondary

I got no update until I realized I never uploaded my photo, maybe check your portal to see if you subbed yours?

I just realized I forgot to click the “I’m done uploading documents” button. Fml I can’t believe it.

• Care
From reading prior threads, I think there were several people that had the same problem. If I recall, someone reached out to admissions and were told that their application was already under consideration prior to them clicking the "I'm done uploading documents".
same Im so mad at myself
I just realized I forgot to click the “I’m done uploading documents” button. Fml I can’t believe it.

Are you trolling or do you genuinely know nothing about med school application timelines? You submitted a month ago and interviews run until March. Relax. As far as I can tell, they haven't even sent out a single II yet.

Are you trolling or do you genuinely know nothing about med school application timelines? You submitted a month ago and interviews run until March. Relax. As far as I can tell, they haven't even sent out a single II yet.
Why would I be trolling? Chill out. I submitted really early and didn’t even receive a complete email while others who submitted at the same time had.

• Okay...
Television Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Got the preliminary review complete email today. Does anyone know when they generally extend IIs?

Got the preliminary review complete email today. Does anyone know when they generally extend IIs?
Disregarding the data from last year because everything was done through VITA, in 2019-2020 the first II reported on SDN was on Sept. 30th.

Reactions: 3 users
So wait there’s three emails: one for you’re in pre Lim review, one for pre lim complete and then one for interview consideration?
There is prelim review, first phase complete, and prelim complete...I think, lol.

Not sure if this is applicable to this cycle, but looks like last year they called people to invite them to a pre-interview info session (yes, actually called you over the phone to invite you), and this basically served as an II. Seems like they sent a formal email with the info session details and interview scheduling details later on.

Reactions: 2 users