2020-2021 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does this school screen pre-secondary? never got one lol..

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!!!!! I AM IN COMPLETE DISBELIEF. :):):)

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!!! I AM IN COMPLETE DISBELIEF. From being outright rejected two years ago to getting an early acceptance this year I can’t believe this :):):)
Congrats!!! I received an acceptance e-mail earlier this week too!!! Very excited, and very surprised (OOS, ORM, complete mid-July, interviewed mid-September).

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received an "Application Screening Status" email that talks about "Your application has passed the preliminary screening and is in the final stages of verification."? Haven't seen anything about this from anyone on this thread and curious if you did how long it took to get an actual decision back? Thanks in advance!

I did not receive that email at any point of my application cycle for JABSOM so far. I got a "Received Completed Secondary Application" email and an II email 10 weeks after the former. Sorry I couldn't help much. It's not an R, so stay optimistic! Best of luck to you.

I got a II!! SO HAPPY OMG!! This is my number one school and never thought I'd get an interview honestly

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
It's so cool to hear about all these acceptances. Congrats to everyone who received one. However, I was surprised y'all got acceptances already (especially the one OOS student) because their email says they send out decisions in March. Are they rolling all of a sudden? Are they still non-rolling and y'all just have exceptional applications?

Good luck to everyone! I hope you all have the successful cycle that you deserve. It's always amazing to get on here and see all the amazing things you've done and the hard work you've put into this <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an "Application Screening Status" email that talks about "Your application has passed the preliminary screening and is in the final stages of verification."? Haven't seen anything about this from anyone on this thread and curious if you did how long it took to get an actual decision back? Thanks in advance!

Have you got a response after receiving this email? Thanks!!!

Can anyone who’s already completed the interview portion speak to the final interview? Looking at the interview feedback from prior years it seems like the final interview is typically less of an interview and more of a “where do you stand”/ Q and A session. Does this still hold true for this year?

Can anyone who’s already completed the interview portion speak to the final interview? Looking at the interview feedback from prior years it seems like the final interview is typically less of an interview and more of a “where do you stand”/ Q and A session. Does this still hold true for this year?
Yeah, it’s v casual. More of a conversation than an interview.

How long is the interview? Is it one hour or longer? Also what is the general vibe of the interview. I'm having mine pretty soon and getting worried :0

Hi all, I'm a current MS3/4 (don't want to give any identifier) here at JABSOM. Happy to answer any questions about the school and/or interview process, which is a lot more difficult now I'm sure. Will try to be as honest as possible. I don't check SDN so please PM me. Congrats on those who have gotten interviews and don't stress if you haven't yet!

Edit: Yes, I've really enjoyed my time here. Would definitely recommend.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Interview Waitlist email...
anyone know how to interpret the chances of getting an II after this?

Pre-II rejection just now, well that hurt. This was one of my top choices and I have strong ties to HI. :(

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Interview waitlist! I was expecting an R since I’m OOS but fingers crossed I’ll get bumped up to II.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
It was very chill. Mine ran a bit long (80-90 minutes). There were, of course, the bread-and-butter questions you expect on an interview, but the rest was kind of just a conversation. If you have any "flags" and or interesting/unique things on your application, be prepared to talk about them.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a II waitlist on Friday 10/30 as well, for reference about 3.5 weeks after I received the "Application Screening Status" email. LM 68 w/ some decent ties to the state and a WICHE applicant.

Got an II this morning around 9:30. I am currently OOS with strong ties to the South Pacific region, and medium ties to Hawai'i.

II this morning. Undergrad in Hawaii and am a resident of 4 1/2 years here. LM 65 so I’m surprised Lol

Good luck to you too! I hate how we have to practically schedule the interviews ourselves.
I've had to do that for two schools so far this year. I imagine they think they are providing us with flexibility, but I much prefer it when a school lumps everything into a scheduled half-day event. I'd rather arrange my work schedule around an interview block than have to do it for each individual interview. Maybe, schools would appreciate that feedback after the cycle ;)

For those of you that received an II yesterday, did you receive the email to do the VITA yet? I got an II yesterday as well (IS), but I haven't received the email to do the VITA. Does it take a while?

For those of you that received an II yesterday, did you receive the email to do the VITA yet? I got an II yesterday as well (IS), but I haven't received the email to do the VITA. Does it take a while?
I already completed the VITA for another school so it was just submitted automatically. When i got my initial VITA invitation I think it was pretty quickly sent to me.

I already completed the VITA for another school so it was just submitted automatically. When i got my initial VITA invitation I think it was pretty quickly sent to me.
Thanks for your response! I received the email for VITA a day after I posted on here. I was just being a little neurotic 🤪

Those few of you who have received decisions already, I have a question. After you received the notice of file closure, how much time passed before you received those decisions?

Those few of you who have received decisions already, I have a question. After you received the notice of file closure, how much time passed before you received those decisions?
8 days!