2021-2022 LSU New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received. In-state. Verified AMCAS on 6/15/21

Reactions: 1 users
OOS. Secondary received. Is it just me or is their secondary application process so backwards? They want you to mail a check to their admissions office and dont have an online payment system? Also they require your social security card? Thats way too extra just to submit a seondary

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS. Secondary received. Is it just me or is their secondary application process so backwards? They want you to mail a check to their admissions office and dont have an online payment system? Also they require your social security card? Thats way too extra just to submit a seondary
what is their secondary if you don't mind sharing?

4th time doing this. Who knows what'll happen this year but they'll be seeing me in the pool until I am accepted! Turning in secondaries tomorrow.

Reactions: 5 users
This secondary is kind of confusing for me. Should I print all the documents they have, hand write the responses, then sign and scan it with my phone? Because they are pdfs so I dont know how I'm meant to type in the responses, and my handwriting is atrocious so I really dont wanna do anything besides sign lol

Reactions: 1 user
This secondary is kind of confusing for me. Should I print all the documents they have, hand write the responses, then sign and scan it with my phone? Because they are pdfs so I dont know how I'm meant to type in the responses, and my handwriting is atrocious so I really dont wanna do anything besides sign lol
That's what I'm doing. Plan to be extra careful filling it out. Maybe they'll look at our handwriting and say "oh yeah, these two were meant to be doctors"!

Hard to believe that a school would require (1) handwritten documents and (2) a check or money order in 2021. NO is really behind the times... Still gonna jump through those hoops, though.

• Haha
On the first page of the secondary, they ask us to list "YEARS OF COLLEGE YOU WILL HAVE COMPLETED AT THE END OF CURRENT SCHOOL YEAR". What exactly are they asking for? Class designation (Junior/Senior), years attended (201x-2021 for example), or number of years completed (2017-2021 = 4 for example)?

Sorry if I'm overthinking this. The Shreveport secondary was so much simpler.

Is anyone else having trouble finding the application gateway link? it wasn't in my original email
How many emails did you receive? The application gateway link was in one of the three that were sent to me, titled "Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans Regular M.D. program invites you to take the next step with your application".

Hey guys, for the optional essay the prompt says to write 500-600 words about your values. Do you think I'll be fine if I change it slightly and write about my values surrounding the topic of success. So in the word file, I titled it " My Values (Specifically, Regarding Success) "

Hey guys, for the optional essay the prompt says to write 500-600 words about your values. Do you think I'll be fine if I change it slightly and write about my values surrounding the topic of success. So in the word file, I titled it " My Values (Specifically, Regarding Success) "
can you post the prompt here?

Members don't see this ad :)
what is their secondary if you don't mind sharing?
Also FYI, on their website for the secondary app checklist they give a slightly different prompt, "If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school."

So I'm guessing it is pretty open ended overall...?

Hey y'all, under LSU's checklist it asks for a colored, passport size photo (no larger than 2 1/3 in x 3 1/3 in). But we are supposed to upload the picture so I don't know what they expect for that since itll just end up being a file in which you have a picture in there. Only way I know to get a passport size photo is going to CVS and getting a physical copy and scanning it, but in that case can't I take a pic with my phone and just put it into word, scale it down, then turn it into a pdf?

Hey y'all, under LSU's checklist it asks for a colored, passport size photo (no larger than 2 1/3 in x 3 1/3 in). But we are supposed to upload the picture so I don't know what they expect for that since itll just end up being a file in which you have a picture in there. Only way I know to get a passport size photo is going to CVS and getting a physical copy and scanning it, but in that case can't I take a pic with my phone and just put it into word, scale it down, then turn it into a pdf?
I went to Walgreen's, took the passport picture, scanned it, uploaded it, and then sent the original photo in with my secondary fee check just to be safe. I wasn't going to sweat paying $15 for a photo when I've spent thousands on the process.

Now if only my letter writers would submit...

are we seriously supposed to print these forms and write them by hand? I can hardly fit anything in the experience section of the questionnaire

I don't suggest completing the secondary by hand unless you have incredibly clean handwriting lol. Last year these documents were editable after download (i.e., you could type into an existing text box), and I haven't accessed them this year, but they still should be, assuming they didn't make any significant changes. Download Adobe Acrobat (free) and open the secondary documents through that application instead of Preview, which I think might be the default on most Macs. I suggest opting in for the free 2-week trial of the premium version that allows you to edit PDFs. If there's any part of the document that can't be edited (this happened a few times last year), simply insert your own text box. The premium version allows you to change the font and text size, which is helpful for a secondary like LSU's where there's not much space to add text. For the questionnaire, just be extremely brief when it comes to the "Service Responsibility" section. Their secondary is basically a condensed version of the primary, so try not to stress because they already have this information! And lastly, whenever a signature is required: print the page, sign it, scan it, then replace the page without the signature using the edit PDF tool. It's so tedious, but it looks a lot cleaner, in my opinion.

• Love
  • Wow
This might be stupid, but I am having trouble finding where the link to the portal where we can upload the materials for Stage 2. Please help! Thanks in advance.

thx! but where am I supposed to upload these as pdfs? the only link I have accessed to is the instruction website :/ sorry if this does not make sense.
you should get an email with a link to a place where you can upload all the required documents.

For ED applicants, when do interviews normally start going out for this school?

I have submitted everything for my secondary. How long does it take to get an email saying my file is complete? Thanks!!

I have submitted everything for my secondary. How long does it take to get an email saying my file is complete? Thanks!!

I received "Complete email" after 2 weeks. This includes 2-3 days period of my missing LOR. So I would say, very prompt process.

Anyone else get "complete email"? I submitted secondary over a week ago.

In state ED applicant here! Has anyone received interview invitations yet for this cycle? I’m still waiting on mine and I just wanted to be sure!

Does anyone mind sharing the full prompts? Thanks!

I called 2 weeks ago and they said regular apps start being viewed first week of September and early decison apps start being viewed last week of the month, so I'm guessing next week for those! For what it's worth I was told there aren't "too many" ED apps this year.

my friend said the last week of August and the first week of September is when they start to send out II

in the service responsibility section of the questionaire, did y'all just give a brief description of your duties in those activities or are y'all talking about what you learned/how it impacted you as well?

how do y'all think the hurricane is gonna affect things?
I think II were supposed to go out today for ED but I bet that either gets moved back to tomorrow or later this week. I hate how something like this always happens to slow the process down. ED apps need to be seen soon because their deadline to make a decision is Oct 1. Only a month out.

how do y'all think the hurricane is gonna affect things?
The mayor of New Orleans has said that no one should plan to be in the city before Labor Day. Things are understandably going to be delayed, especially if the school has no power.

Does anyone know if LSU pre-screens OOS secondaries? I'm technically out of state now but I grew up in Louisiana/in and outside of Nola and went to LSU for undergrad. Still haven't received a secondary and it's been a few weeks. Obviously now with the hurricane I wouldn't be surprised if it took even longer but I'm just wondering if I should reach out to them. Thanks!