2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I activated my email account and went looking for a Discord server, or anything (except FB) to connect with other accepted students on. No luck. Anyone know of a social forum set up for that? Feel free to DM if it's not something you want to share publically. Thanks!
I’m down to setup a GroupMe or a Facebook group or something along those lines…I know both of those are common for accepted students to do

Members don't see this ad.

I’m down to setup a GroupMe or a Facebook group or something along those lines…I know both of those are common for accepted students to do
There seems to be a FB group set up by the SGA for previous years, so I'm assuming they will set one up for us as well

There seems to be a FB group set up by the SGA for previous years, so I'm assuming they will set one up for us as well
The school will setup a FB group and invite all the accepted students. I think mine got setup in the spring? There is also a group me which I think will get setup around then as well. Ours was kinda setup independently from the school and admin, but I think it might be standard now. I know there are Discord groups for specific interests (Gaming, sports etc) and you can get into those when you start. Congrats to those who got acceptances! If you have any questions about the school, I am happy to try and answer them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The school will setup a FB group and invite all the accepted students. I think mine got setup in the spring? There is also a group me which I think will get setup around then as well. Ours was kinda setup independently from the school and admin, but I think it might be standard now. I know there are Discord groups for specific interests (Gaming, sports etc) and you can get into those when you start. Congrats to those who got acceptances! If you have any questions about the school, I am happy to try and answer them.
Hey! Just wanted to ask what year are you in and what you think of the school in general? Are you happy you chose NYITCOM?

Hey! Just wanted to ask what year are you in and what you think of the school in general? Are you happy you chose NYITCOM?
I am a 3rd year. In general I feel "eh" about the school. I wasn't really impressed with the pre-clinical lectures. They were decent but not really good enough to draw attention away from B&B, Pathoma, First Aid studying and ignoring lectures. The whole grading and testing system both in the pre-clinical years and in clinical years I don't think does the students any favors. That might be different by the time you all start since they are constantly altering the curriculum in big ways. Now that I am on rotations I am further solidifying the "eh" feeling I am having about it. This applies to all DO schools (except maybe MSUCOM?) but not having a home institution is a big disadvantage both for residency and rotations. Our rotations are all spread out and so the experience varies a lot, so some people end up having really good experiences and others not as much. There is some drama with one of the rotation sites right now, but basically one rotation just ended and people were supposed to stay at that hospital for their next one starting on Monday and everyone got an email saying the hospital is not accepting them, 3 days before they're supposed to start. So the school is scrambling to try and fit them in to other places. That rotation was in Brooklyn but now some people are rotating on LI like an hour away, just not a good look in my eyes.

I would just set your expectations for what to get out of med school here. If your goal is to stay on long island, potentially even for residency, this is the place for you because a lot of the "good" rotation sites, alumni and extra curricular activities are on LI. This might be a DO thing, but I also feel that the support and resources here are less than compared to other schools. Hearing from other friends at different schools about their experiences I just feel like their school sticks up for them more and gives them more attention especially when it comes to mentoring and advising.

I chose NYCOM because its location for me was convenient to be close to family and so I am happy I get to be near them at this point in my life. Students are really nice and are down to help each other and are fairly inclusive with things. I don't think I have really encountered any true gunner type attitude. I know I said a lot of "negative" things but I am sure people at other schools have to deal with some of the same things and part of medical school is just getting through hurdles that you know are pointless but are placed before you nonetheless. Overall, the experience I have had so far has let me down, but maybe that was because of my expectations coming in. Your experience could be totally different, so don't let just one downtrodden OMS-3 sway you haha.

Reactions: 5 users
I am a 3rd year. In general I feel "eh" about the school. I wasn't really impressed with the pre-clinical lectures. They were decent but not really good enough to draw attention away from B&B, Pathoma, First Aid studying and ignoring lectures. The whole grading and testing system both in the pre-clinical years and in clinical years I don't think does the students any favors. That might be different by the time you all start since they are constantly altering the curriculum in big ways. Now that I am on rotations I am further solidifying the "eh" feeling I am having about it. This applies to all DO schools (except maybe MSUCOM?) but not having a home institution is a big disadvantage both for residency and rotations. Our rotations are all spread out and so the experience varies a lot, so some people end up having really good experiences and others not as much. There is some drama with one of the rotation sites right now, but basically one rotation just ended and people were supposed to stay at that hospital for their next one starting on Monday and everyone got an email saying the hospital is not accepting them, 3 days before they're supposed to start. So the school is scrambling to try and fit them in to other places. That rotation was in Brooklyn but now some people are rotating on LI like an hour away, just not a good look in my eyes.

I would just set your expectations for what to get out of med school here. If your goal is to stay on long island, potentially even for residency, this is the place for you because a lot of the "good" rotation sites, alumni and extra curricular activities are on LI. This might be a DO thing, but I also feel that the support and resources here are less than compared to other schools. Hearing from other friends at different schools about their experiences I just feel like their school sticks up for them more and gives them more attention especially when it comes to mentoring and advising.

I chose NYCOM because its location for me was convenient to be close to family and so I am happy I get to be near them at this point in my life. Students are really nice and are down to help each other and are fairly inclusive with things. I don't think I have really encountered any true gunner type attitude. I know I said a lot of "negative" things but I am sure people at other schools have to deal with some of the same things and part of medical school is just getting through hurdles that you know are pointless but are placed before you nonetheless. Overall, the experience I have had so far has let me down, but maybe that was because of my expectations coming in. Your experience could be totally different, so don't let just one downtrodden OMS-3 sway you haha.
Thanks for the response! Did you mainly use board resources to study for the lectures and was that enough? Also what are the research opportunities at the school like just so I can get a sense? Thanks for your help!

What exactly is the testing and grading system like? Also do you know anything about how gut lottery works to be able to have all your rotations at the same place?

Thanks for the response! Did you mainly use board resources to study for the lectures and was that enough? Also what are the research opportunities at the school like just so I can get a sense? Thanks for your help!
First year I focused on lectures and did alright. I had some prior experience to med school that I think helped me though. 2nd year I switched over to board resources and would only look at lectures before the tests essentially. I didn't do as well on the tests this year but my goal was to focus on boards anyway and I am happy with my scores. With P/F Step 1 you may do it differently and try focusing on class more since honors the first two years might be more of a standout thing? Not sure how that will work honestly.
Research on campus is definitely lacking. No matter how they spin it, it will never compare to a lot of other schools because there aren't that many labs. They have opportunities though to get involved in a lot of biochem type research, some OMM stuff, animal based anatomy, Parkinson's research are all examples I can think of off the top of my head. People do get publications and authorships from here but I wouldn't expect the same resources as a state undergrad, its a pretty small campus. I ended up doing research at an outside institution since NYCOM didn't have research opportunities that interested me.

What exactly is the testing and grading system like? Also do you know anything about how gut lottery works to be able to have all your rotations at the same place?
This is all based on my experience and it could be vastly different for you guys. They change the curriculum A LOT, from year to year since I have been here. First two years are Pass/Fail/Honors for your academic courses. For OMM and Doctor-Patient Relations (think clinical skills) its P/F. We took 1 small test worth 10% of our grade and another worth 90% each month that covered units based on systems. So you would do Cardio then take the cardio small test and a week later take the cardio big test (about 100 questions per big test). The material didn't always fit nicely into one month so sometimes your cardio test would have a few lectures worth of renal on it or the neuro test would have some repro etc. Passing was a 70% average for one semesters worth of tests (so over 3-4 tests you need 70%) and honors meant you had to be in the top 20% of the class. To review tests you have to schedule proctored time with academic advisors who watch you and babysit you while you look at ONLY the test questions you missed to make sure you aren't writing anything down. The advisors don't really have specific knowledge geared towards the material either, just general study tips like study in a group or "be better at managing your time" etc. Idk they rubbed me the wrong way, but the school provides them and others might have a different experience. If you fail a semester you repeat it over the summer, if you fail both semesters of a year you repeat. 3rd year grades are such: Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. For honors you need a 6/7 on evaluations and a 115 on the COMAT (shelf exam but from NBOME). 115 translates to 93rd percentile (I am not a fan), and then you have to fulfill all the extra stuff like little lectures and things. High Pass is 6/7 on evals and a 110 on the COMAT, which is 84th percentile and fulfill the extra stuff. Passing is 4/7 on evals, a 90 on COMAT (16th percentile) and all the extra stuff. You don't have to take COMAT for EM, but in order to sit for Step 2/COMLEX 2 you have to pass the OMM and IM COMATs and 4 of the following: Surgery, Psych, Peds, FM and OBGYN. So really you can fail one COMAT and still be alright. COMAT scores are included in class rank and reflected in MSPE letter that goes to residencies.
Oh yea I know about the lottery. Not sure if "gut" is a typo but the lottery I think you are referencing is how during spring of 2nd year you can apply to have all your 3rd year rotations at 1 place. There is a list somewhere and I will see if I can find it, but the locations I can remember they offered to us as regional sites are NUMC, Good Samaritan, Wyckoff Heights, Brookdale, Coney Island, Mt. Sinai South Nassau and maybe one or two more I can't think of right now. Basically everyone applies for the places they want to go and you might have to do a little group interview, I heard they were pretty short, and then the programs essentially pick who they want when you put in your preferences. I think it is kind of like a mini match. I didn't do the lottery but definitely considered it. I can see the benefits of it, since so many of the sites are spread out (like we have rotations in Albany and hours away toward the tip LI) so you could live in one spot 3rd year. But you might not like the hospital you go to. The lottery happens first and you only have to put down the ones you want so if you don't get a certain one you can always just rank them like the rest of the class. Which is basically just ranking preferences and then they do some voodoo and come out with a schedule a couple of months later. I hope that helps! Good questions

Last edited:
This is all based on my experience and it could be vastly different for you guys. They change the curriculum A LOT, from year to year since I have been here. First two years are Pass/Fail/Honors for your academic courses. For OMM and Doctor-Patient Relations (think clinical skills) its P/F. We took 1 small test worth 10% of our grade and another worth 90% each month that covered units based on systems. So you would do Cardio then take the cardio small test and a week later take the cardio big test (about 100 questions per big test). The material didn't always fit nicely into one month so sometimes your cardio test would have a few lectures worth of renal on it or the neuro test would have some repro etc. Passing was a 70% average for one semesters worth of tests (so over 3-4 tests you need 70%) and honors meant you had to be in the top 20% of the class. To review tests you have to schedule proctored time with academic advisors who watch you and babysit you while you look at ONLY the test questions you missed to make sure you aren't writing anything down. The advisors don't really have specific knowledge geared towards the material either, just general study tips like study in a group or "be better at managing your time" etc. Idk they rubbed me the wrong way, but the school provides them and others might have a different experience. If you fail a semester you repeat it over the summer, if you fail both semesters of a year you repeat. 3rd year grades are such: Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. For honors you need a 6/7 on evaluations and a 115 on the COMAT (shelf exam but from NBOME). 115 translates to 93rd percentile (I am not a fan), and then you have to fulfill all the extra stuff like little lectures and things. High Pass is 6/7 on evals and a 110 on the COMAT, which is 84th percentile and fulfill the extra stuff. Passing is 4/7 on evals, a 90 on COMAT (16th percentile) and all the extra stuff. You don't have to take COMAT for EM, but in order to sit for Step 2/COMLEX 2 you have to pass the OMM and IM COMATs and 4 of the following: Surgery, Psych, Peds, FM and OBGYN. So really you can fail one COMAT and still be alright. COMAT scores are included in class rank and reflected in MSPE letter that goes to residencies.
Oh yea I know about the lottery. Not sure if "gut" is a typo but the lottery I think you are referencing is how during spring of 2nd year you can apply to have all your 3rd year rotations at 1 place. There is a list somewhere and I will see if I can find it, but the locations I can remember they offered to us as regional sites are NUMC, Good Samaritan, Wyckoff Heights, Brookdale, Coney Island, Mt. Sinai South Nassau and maybe one or two more I can't think of right now. Basically everyone applies for the places they want to go and you might have to do a little group interview, I heard they were pretty short, and then the programs essentially pick who they want when you put in your preferences. I think it is kind of like a mini match. I didn't do the lottery but definitely considered it. I can see the benefits of it, since so many of the sites are spread out (like we have rotations in Albany and hours away toward the tip LI) so you could live in one spot 3rd year. But you might not like the hospital you go to. The lottery happens first and you only have to put down the ones you want so if you don't get a certain one you can always just rank them like the rest of the class. Which is basically just ranking preferences and then they do some voodoo and come out with a schedule a couple of months later. I hope that helps! Good questions

Lol yes, “gut” was a typo. Thanks for the detailed answer!

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on what surgery. I heard general surgery is pretty easy to match into.
Others gave great resources, just wanted to point you to this entire NRMP 2020 Match report (Table 14A on page 35) gives the details you want. There's a lot of great info in there.
Also, remember that the range of reputability of DO schools is much wider than MD schools. There are new DO schools that are not well established and/or have significant well-known problems whereas more established/known DO schools (like NYITCOM, PCOM etc.) do not have these same issues (as you can see from NYITCOMs+other's match lists).
TL;DR Where you get your DO degree is important.

Anyone else having trouble setting up their email on the nyitcom portal? Not sure if I'm just not doing it right or I'm in the wrong place

Did anyone else's interview date get changed? I just got an email saying that they change my zoom interview for 11/9. I had it scheduled for 10/26....

Did anyone else's interview date get changed? I just got an email saying that they change my zoom interview for 11/9. I had it scheduled for 10/26....

I got mine changed along those lines as well

I got those interview changing emails as well. Anyone think it's a glitch in the system?

Just called them. It is a glitch... phew lol. Still have my interview date.

Does that mean our original dates are the ones we’ll be interviewing on? So we can ignore the rescheduled glitch date?

I interviewed with NYITCOM and I was just not impressed at all. The conversation was very forced, when I tried to continue conversations, they just responded briefly and moved on with the pre-written questions and did not care about much else. I asked about research opportunities for medical students and the interviewer's response was that medical school students aren't viewed as strong candidates for positions because they don't have enough time. He also said that the first semester has no interactions with professors or students because of the pre-recorded lectures? Can anyone convince me that this was just me and not a good representation of the school?

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed with NYITCOM and I was just not impressed at all. The conversation was very forced, when I tried to continue conversations, they just responded briefly and moved on with the pre-written questions and did not care about much else. I asked about research opportunities for medical students and the interviewer's response was that medical school students aren't viewed as strong candidates for positions because they don't have enough time. He also said that the first semester has no interactions with professors or students because of the pre-recorded lectures? Can anyone convince me that this was just me and not a good representation of the school?

I feel you on this one. I think it’s just their process tbh. With the interviews being so short they probably want to avoid getting too off track and behind schedule. The lack of interaction with faculty sounds sketchy though.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew from here. Good luck everyone!!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
heart dropped seeing another NYITCOM admissions email for it to be an ad. been complete since 8/10 😭 radio silence

heart dropped seeing another NYITCOM admissions email for it to be an ad. been complete since 8/10 😭 radio silence
Not even getting these anymore :') It feels worse somehow than getting one and being bamboozled...

Reactions: 3 users
hey guys! I've been completed since 7/2/21 and I haven't heard a single thing. Do you think it's worth it to send them an email asking for any updates? I don't want to seem pushy or anything.

Is there an accepted student's groupme yet? I know the SGA makes the Facebook group but I was wondering about the groupme as well?

hey guys! I've been completed since 7/2/21 and I haven't heard a single thing. Do you think it's worth it to send them an email asking for any updates? I don't want to seem pushy or anything.
I would say not really worth asking. Seems like they take forever to get to things. When they said when we could expect responses after interviews they were like "schools that get responses out in 2 weeks are crazy, we might give you a response in 2-4 weeks, 6-8 weeks or 3-4 months, who knows depends how were feeling" (overly dramatic but they did say it could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months after the interview to hear back). So who knows how they are handling the thousands of applications to begin with.

Are accepted students supposed to get an acceptance thing mailed to them? I thought they would mail something but I haven't gotten anything in the 2 weeks post A

II received today at 11am! Very excited :D LM 70. Complete 6/28. Interview dates currently open through mid-November.

Any tips from people who completed the interview? I would really appreciate it.
Kind of goes for any interview, but try to be as calm and relaxed as you can be while still being professional. Basically, don’t be a robot. Take a deep breath and just be yourself. Know your own story and make them believe it. I had a 0% success rate on interviews last year when I tried to act like an Uber-professional, robotic person. This year I said **** it and was my normal, easy-going, lighthearted self (while still being professional) and I’ve had much better success. If you have any more questions, I’d be happy to answer them!

• Love
Kind of goes for any interview, but try to be as calm and relaxed as you can be while still being professional. Basically, don’t be a robot. Take a deep breath and just be yourself. Know your own story and make them believe it. I had a 0% success rate on interviews last year when I tried to act like an Uber-professional, robotic person. This year I said **** it and was my normal, easy-going, lighthearted self (while still being professional) and I’ve had much better success. If you have any more questions, I’d be happy to answer them!
Thank you for that input. I know some DO schools focus on primary care? Does NYIT want to see that you are interested in primary care?

Thank you for that input. I know some DO schools focus on primary care? Does NYIT want to see that you are interested in primary care?
I don’t think that was brought up at all during my interview. If they ask you a question about what specialty you want to go into, I would be honest with them about what you favor NOW but that your preference could change in the future (seeing as a lot can change in 4 years). I know DO schools tend to have a lot of people go into primary care specialties, but there’s still a decent chunk that don’t.

• Love
Same here! I think I am going to reach out to them today.

Any indication about the wait time between interviews and decisions or is it too early in the decision process to tell?

Any indication about the wait time between interviews and decisions or is it too early in the decision process to tell?

There’s no way to tell for sure but it seems like decisions usually come out on the second Thursday of the month starting in October

Anyone hear back yet? Anyone that interviewed after 10/7