2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any NYITCOM Old Westbury alums or students on here that can assist with experiences they've had that have been unique to their school?

I am trying to pre-write the "why Old Westbury" prompt. My key reason for wanting to go there is because I was born and raised on Long Island and intend to practice here, so I think doing my rotations and becoming involved in the community here would help me professionally. I would want to become involved in any outreach programs they have, but I am having trouble finding that type of information on their website. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you so much.

I also am interested in learning about some of their outreach programs! I saw something about free clinics, but wondering if there are any others

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys receive secondaries already?

Just received secondary!
@PapaGuava
1. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)
2. NYITCOM values diversity, equity, and inclusion. How will your background and experiences add to our inclusive culture and how will this focus influence your future role as a physician? (Max. 1000 characters)
3. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)
4. Describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)
5. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM? If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)
6. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)

Last edited:
Just received secondary!
@PapaGuava
1. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)
2. NYITCOM values diversity, equity, and inclusion. How will your background and experiences add to our inclusive culture and how will this focus influence your future role as a physician? (Max. 1000 characters)
3. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)
4. Describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)
5. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM? If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)
6. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)
+1

Out of curiosity, are there any differences in metrics for admitted students based on campus? For example, does the more established campus in NY have matriculants with higher GPAs and MCAT.

I have noticed that both have the same lectures, etc so it's more of 2 campus locations rather than 2 distinct schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think saying "no" to considering the other campus will decrease the chances of being accepted?

Submitted secondary 6/24, secondary marked complete 6/28

"NYITCOM values diversity, equity, and inclusion. How will your background and experiences add to our inclusive culture and how will this focus influence your future role as a physician? (Max. 1000 characters)"

Can anyone help with ideas on how to respond to this prompt? Just very lost rn with this secondary.

"NYITCOM values diversity, equity, and inclusion. How will your background and experiences add to our inclusive culture and how will this focus influence your future role as a physician? (Max. 1000 characters)"

Can anyone help with ideas on how to respond to this prompt? Just very lost rn with this secondary.

It’s just your standard diversity essay!

Submitted secondary 6/24, secondary marked complete 6/28
After you submitted the secondary did the portal change right away? I submitted my payment and it still asks if I want to edit my application or submit a payment? Does it just take a few days to process that you did everything?

After you submitted the secondary did the portal change right away? I submitted my payment and it still asks if I want to edit my application or submit a payment? Does it just take a few days to process that you did everything?
Yeah, it took like 3 days. They sent an email when it was updated.

Hi everyone, I'm a current 4th year at NYITCOM Old Westbury. Happy to answer whatever questions I can about the school. Please note the preclinical curriculum has been changed a bit since I entered so I can't promise to give accurate answers on some of those matters!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I'm a current 4th year at NYITCOM Old Westbury. Happy to answer whatever questions I can about the school. Please note the preclinical curriculum has been changed a bit since I entered so I can't promise to give accurate answers on some of those matters!

Hi! How do you like the culture of your school/your fellow classmates? What’s one thing you feel is one of NYITCOM’s strongest assets?

Hi! How do you like the culture of your school/your fellow classmates? What’s one thing you feel is one of NYITCOM’s strongest assets?
I do like the culture, in that there isn’t really one overriding culture for the school. As the class size is so large you get a group of students who are super involved with the student government and activities, students who are mere ghosts, and everything in between. There’s always a large group of students who share study materials with one another and are super supportive of their fellow students, and it’s easy to get involved if you want. But also by the nature of such a large class, if you want to just anonymously grind your way through you can.

I personally think we have some great faculty who give excellent lectures and are wonderful teacher. Not all of them by any means, but a good proportion will teach you material well. I also think we get prepared really well for clinical work in our preclinical years, in that when I got to third year I felt I could interview patients really well and give a good physical exam and present patients better than some of the students I rotated with from other universities. Should be noted this is my personal experience, you’ll probably find someone who disagrees with me if you ask around enough lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I do like the culture, in that there isn’t really one overriding culture for the school. As the class size is so large you get a group of students who are super involved with the student government and activities, students who are mere ghosts, and everything in between. There’s always a large group of students who share study materials with one another and are super supportive of their fellow students, and it’s easy to get involved if you want. But also by the nature of such a large class, if you want to just anonymously grind your way through you can.

I personally think we have some great faculty who give excellent lectures and are wonderful teacher. Not all of them by any means, but a good proportion will teach you material well. I also think we get prepared really well for clinical work in our preclinical years, in that when I got to third year I felt I could interview patients really well and give a good physical exam and present patients better than some of the students I rotated with from other universities. Should be noted this is my personal experience, you’ll probably find someone who disagrees with me if you ask around enough lol.

This was awesome to hear! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted secondary app about 3.5 weeks after receiving it... The email said to submit within 10 days. Should I panic? Lol

i
Submitted secondary app about 3.5 weeks after receiving it... The email said to submit within 10 days. Should I panic? Lol
it says its "reccomended" to submit within 10 days. i received 6/28 and submitted 7/14.

@pdog20 we all feel your pain. We’re all in the same predicament. The wait isn’t easy ! Hang in there ! We’re all in this together !

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
How do I know if I submitted or not? Is it the fact that I paid? Every other school I have applied to has a "submit application" button but there is no such thing here.

How do I know if I submitted or not? Is it the fact that I paid? Every other school I have applied to has a "submit application" button but there is no such thing here.
Yes on their portal they state the receipt of payment is your "submission". A couple of days later you will receive a "Supplemental Application is now complete!" email.

Reactions: 2 users
Any news from them? It has been dead silence for over a month.

Reactions: 5 users
do i have to submit a picture? how did you guys even take a passport picture and make sure its 2x2in

do i have to submit a picture? how did you guys even take a passport picture and make sure its 2x2in
I did not check if it was required actually, but I used photoshop to scale it down to 2x2 in.

So I feel that my story ties more into Jonesboro, but I would prefer to pick Long Island because I know I have a better shot at getting there based on the fact that it has a larger student body. Does your campus choice factor heavily into which campus you are considered for?