2021-2022 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM Clearwater)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone that submitted late June or early July hear back recently?
submitted 6/30. got II this morning

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I am a current M1 at NSU-KPCOM Clearwater if anyone has any specific questions. So far my experience has been very positive. While medical school is more challenging than I anticipated, literally every single professor we have had has been awesome so far. Additionally, the environment here is very collaborative. Please reach out if you have any questions, I will try to check this thread periodically. Best of luck in the application cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats and thank you for giving me hope LOL. I got the complete call July 1 and havent heard anything after that
SAME!!! im low key stressin and I am just so shocked and whats going on with this whole process lol

I really wonder what is their process of going through applications...

Reactions: 1 user
Those of you who've gotten IIs: how have you been notified? Email/call/portal?

Great! Did they tell you if interviews are going to be virtual or in person this year?
I interviewed last week and it was all virtual. They send you the zoom link one day before

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think sending them an email explaining why I won't be able to obtain a 2nd science LOR is worth the effort? I was dumb and only realized that requirement after submitting my secondary (rip my $$). I know Rowan SOM has the same requirement but I talked to their admissions office and they told me to write a statement explaining why I can't and they will add that as part of my application.

Do you guys think sending them an email explaining why I won't be able to obtain a 2nd science LOR is worth the effort? I was dumb and only realized that requirement after submitting my secondary (rip my $$). I know Rowan SOM has the same requirement but I talked to their admissions office and they told me to write a statement explaining why I can't and they will add that as part of my application.
What LORS do you have? I have 2 science LORs but they took my research PI as a science LOR before I sent my last science LOR in...

What LORS do you have? I have 2 science LORs but they took my research PI as a science LOR before I sent my last science LOR in...
I have a physician (MD) letter, 1 science LOR, and 1 non-science LOR from a professor.
Edit- I am not actually sure what that last letter is, my school sends a packet and they never tell which they sent. So that last might be the non-science LOR or it might be a letter from my EMT colleague.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a physician (MD) letter, 1 science LOR, and 1 non-science LOR from a professor.
Edit- I am not actually sure what that last letter is, my school sends a packet and they never tell which they sent. So that last might be the non-science LOR or it might be a letter from my EMT colleague.
Hmm I would message more science professors if u could, but u can see what they say

Why did you not get two?
Even if they do oversee it, your physician letter is MD which is not ideal. I’d be concerned with your LORs unless they are stellar.

Why did you not get two?
Even if they do oversee it, your physician letter is MD which is not ideal. I’d be concerned with your LORs unless they are stellar.
It was a mixture of COVID-19 not being ideal in building relationships with my professors and a couple refusing me because they don't have the time. I was happy to obtain even a single science letter since I know most schools, MD and DO, require a science LOR. I was not expecting any to require two science LORs. It's bad on me for not checking beforehand ofc and I paid the price for that. I understand that my MD letter is not ideal for DO schools but unfortunately, I did not have a chance to shadow a DO.

Any interview tips for Nova specifically? What you like about the school? How was the interview? Thanks in advance!

It was a mixture of COVID-19 not being ideal in building relationships with my professors and a couple refusing me because they don't have the time. I was happy to obtain even a single science letter since I know most schools, MD and DO, require a science LOR. I was not expecting any to require two science LORs. It's bad on me for not checking beforehand ofc and I paid the price for that. I understand that my MD letter is not ideal for DO schools but unfortunately, I did not have a chance to shadow a DO.
Don’t sweat it. Just focus on osteopathy a lot in interviews, etc.

Any interview tips for Nova specifically? What you like about the school? How was the interview? Thanks in advance!
Be yourself. You’ve made it to the interview so that means your numbers are there. Let your personality show the best you can!

I had my interview a little over a week ago. Today I got an email saying I'm an "alternate". Does this mean that I am on the waitlist?

I had my interview a little over a week ago. Today I got an email saying I'm an "alternate". Does this mean that I am on the waitlist?
Yes it does. You are all early.. I know that sounds backwards but that is PLENTY of time to get pulled off. Think about it from their perspective. “Them“ being admissions. They have 9000+ applications to review this cycle. They are just getting s[tarted with interviews and don’t want to fill the class too early and potentially lose the great candidates to come. They DO recognize that generally the first interviewees are the strongest candidates (I say this because I just heard someone from admissions say this in a meeting.) so don’t get too worried. The WL is a great spot to be. I know it’s not what you hoped for but it’s still a great place. Now.. give it some time and interview elsewhere. Go see if this is really where you want to go. Having interviewed elsewhere may help you contrast the schools and use it as a point of reference. Then you can consider a letter of interest. A letter of intent is a silver bullet and SHOULD NOT BE SENT TO MORE THAN ONE SCHOOL. So please be carefufl and recognize that your integrity is being evaluated closely. If after other interviews you still feel this school is for you, then write about it and let them know.

deep breath. You did great. Few applicants are interviewed, fewer get WL but a considerable portion of WLed applicants are accepted.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yes it does. You are all early.. I know that sounds backwards but that is PLENTY of time to get pulled off. Think about it from their perspective. “Them“ being admissions. They have 9000+ applications to review this cycle. They are just getting s[tarted with interviews and don’t want to fill the class too early and potentially lose the great candidates to come. They DO recognize that generally the first interviewees are the strongest candidates (I say this because I just heard someone from admissions say this in a meeting.) so don’t get too worried. The WL is a great spot to be. I know it’s not what you hoped for but it’s still a great place. Now.. give it some time and interview elsewhere. Go see if this is really where you want to go. Having interviewed elsewhere may help you contrast the schools and use it as a point of reference. Then you can consider a letter of interest. A letter of intent is a silver bullet and SHOULD NOT BE SENT TO MORE THAN ONE SCHOOL. So please be carefufl and recognize that your integrity is being evaluated closely. If after other interviews you still feel this school is for you, then write about it and let them know.

deep breath. You did great. Few applicants are interviewed, fewer get WL but a considerable portion of WLed applicants are accepted.
Thank you for that! Can I send a letter of intent at any time or is there an optimal time frame to send it?

Thank you so much! I needed to hear that. I'm a reapplicant and NSU is definitely my top choice. Should I still wait to send a letter of intent?

Thank you for that! Can I send a letter of intent at any time or is there an optimal time frame to send it?
You can send it whenever. I would send it sooner than later. By that I mean you shouldn’t wait too long and give the impression you weren’t interviewed anywhere else. Ideally you DO interview elsewhere and can mention this in your letter. You need not name the school but do focus on your confidence in NSU being superior in a specific way; one which you illustrate not by bashing the other school.

could you send it too soon? I don’t tHink so. It would be unfortunate if you sent it then DID get an interview elsewhere and the can’t use that as aforementioned. would hate for you to kick yourself while you’re already plenty neurotic.

again, good work. Let the process work Now.

Thank you so much! I needed to hear that. I'm a reapplicant and NSU is definitely my top choice. Should I still wait to send a letter of intent?
Being a reapplicant I wonder if you had other interviews at different schools last cycle. If you did you could use those to compare your experiences with them and nova. If you alrlelady interviewed at nova you could talk about how you, again, felt that NSU is calling you. This second interview brought greater confirmation of that. Why was his second interview different?

be careful with a letter of intent this early. If you get in elsewhere THEN nova accepts you then you need to switch to nova. That’s what integrity means. It’s serious. Imgagine getting accepted to a much cheaper school (including cost of living) and then nova accepts you after. Are you really going to chose nova? If you do, good. I did that. I’m paying a lot more to come here than other schools that accepted me. I wanted to come here.

so, it’s as intuitive as it should be. if you intend on coming here no matter what else happens, send that soon.

Being a reapplicant I wonder if you had other interviews at different schools last cycle. If you did you could use those to compare your experiences with them and nova. If you alrlelady interviewed at nova you could talk about how you, again, felt that NSU is calling you. This second interview brought greater confirmation of that. Why was his second interview different?

be careful with a letter of intent this early. If you get in elsewhere THEN nova accepts you then you need to switch to nova. That’s what integrity means. It’s serious. Imgagine getting accepted to a much cheaper school (including cost of living) and then nova accepts you after. Are you really going to chose nova? If you do, good. I did that. I’m paying a lot more to come here than other schools that accepted me. I wanted to come here.

so, it’s as intuitive as it should be. if you intend on coming here no matter what else happens, send that soon.

Thank you, that was very helpful! I do intend to choose here no matter what. I was actually very surprised (and grateful) that my first II came from my top choice. Hopefully everything works out!

have some of you gotten acceptances from the first round of interview? I saw some “+1” but was not sure if you guys meant interview or acceptance. I haven’t heard back yet!

I had lost all hope for this school and thought I wasted $50 but I just got the completion call today, after like a month of submitting the secondary. Also, I guess that second science letter either really didn't matter that much or they accepted another in place of it.

I had lost all hope for this school and thought I wasted $50 but I just got the completion call today, after like a month of submitting the secondary. Also, I guess that second science letter either really didn't matter that much or they accepted another in place of it.
I was accepted with 2 MD letters and 0 DO letters, just make sure you can answer "Why DO" and if your applications aligns well with our mission you have a good shot!

This is awesome news! Congratulations. One step closer.

I was accepted with 2 MD letters and 0 DO letters, just make sure you can answer "Why DO" and if your applications aligns well with our mission you have a good shot!
This is awesome news! Congratulations. One step closer.

Hopefully I answered it well, and if they give me a chance at an interview I can answer it well there too. I lost hope since they basically refused me when I asked if one of my other letters can be used in place of that 2nd science letter. But I got that complete call today so I guess they decided to do exactly that lol. Thank you for the good vibes!

Hi guys! I am a current M1 at Nova right now, and if you guys have any questions feel free to ask! I was in your shoes last year and I know how stressful this process was, and how it was a waiting game. Stay patient! I got my interview in November, was waitlisted, and then accepted in December. I know it's still pretty early in the cycle right now, but I remember feeling so stressed because I wasn't receiving II or acceptances until much later in the year. Again, if you guys have any questions about anything regarding the cycle I will be more than happy to help! Good luck to all of you!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi guys! I am a current M1 at Nova right now, and if you guys have any questions feel free to ask! I was in your shoes last year and I know how stressful this process was, and how it was a waiting game. Stay patient! I got my interview in November, was waitlisted, and then accepted in December. I know it's still pretty early in the cycle right now, but I remember feeling so stressed because I wasn't receiving II or acceptances until much later in the year. Again, if you guys have any questions about anything regarding the cycle I will be more than happy to help! Good luck to all of you!!
hi! I was digging through old sdn threads and read a lot of negative comments about the curriculum and how students are treated. it was from 2018 tho so maybe things changed? what do you think of the curriculum, is outdated like some threads claimed and do you get support from faculty in terms of preparing for board exams?

Got the complete call today, submitted 8/30. Wasn’t even sure it was real😂 cos I was like it’s a weekend

hi! I was digging through old sdn threads and read a lot of negative comments about the curriculum and how students are treated. it was from 2018 tho so maybe things changed? what do you think of the curriculum, is outdated like some threads claimed and do you get support from faculty in terms of preparing for board exams?
honestly, my classmates and I have not experienced anything negative thus far. The faculty and staff have been pretty supportive. I know in the past there was a lot of problems, but I really think they're working on it. They've made changes to the curriculum this year in terms of making it more manageable. I don't feel like the curriculum is outdated in any way. It's also hard for a medical school curriculum to be outdated when it comes to classes like anatomy and histology because the human body is the same lol. I am still in my first year so we aren't preparing for boards yet, so I don't really have an opinion on that

honestly, my classmates and I have not experienced anything negative thus far. The faculty and staff have been pretty supportive. I know in the past there was a lot of problems, but I really think they're working on it. They've made changes to the curriculum this year in terms of making it more manageable. I don't feel like the curriculum is outdated in any way. It's also hard for a medical school curriculum to be outdated when it comes to classes like anatomy and histology because the human body is the same lol. I am still in my first year so we aren't preparing for boards yet, so I don't really have an opinion on that
I see, thank you for your reply!

I submitted my apps months ago and saw the checklist was fully completed. I checked back right now (over a month later) and it says they have none of my letters and mcat score, only the application fee. Is there anything I can do?

I submitted my apps months ago and saw the checklist was fully completed. I checked back right now (over a month later) and it says they have none of my letters and mcat score, only the application fee. Is there anything I can do?
+1, any advice please!

Received complete call, the admissions lady said it takes 4-6 weeks to get a response after the completion call!

Received complete call, the admissions lady said it takes 4-6 weeks to get a response after the completion call!
I got the call nearly 2 months ago but haven’t heard anything yet.

Same. Been over 2 months for me
I’m thinking that because we submitted earlier there was a higher volume of applicants, so it’d take longer than 6 weeks to hear back.
Definitely overthinking this, but either way we just have to be patient.

I’m thinking that because we submitted earlier there was a higher volume of applicants, so it’d take longer than 6 weeks to hear back.
Definitely overthinking this, but either way we just have to be patient.
i think they have a different way of reviewing applicants. some people who submitted another me already got an II because they had higher stats

i think they have a different way of reviewing applicants. some people who submitted another me already got an II because they had higher stats
I don’t think it’s just higher stats though. I’m mid to low-ish GPA with 90th percentile MCAT and I haven’t heard anything yet. They seem to be very holistic with their review

Does anyone know why the application portal does not have all the AACOMAS and LORs complete? I have everything on the aacomas portal so I am pretty confused on how to get that to NSUKPCOM