2021-2022 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be worth applying with a low MCAT score (lower than 500)?

Reactions: 1 user
II, IS!! Has anyone been able to get a hold of Jennifer Lockhart yet to schedule?

Edit: Jk!! I called and she is currently going through everyone and calling/emailing. Interviews start Aug 23!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my interview today! I think it went pretty well.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone not received complete email yet? Submitted secondary first week of July and have not heard anything since then

I submitted 6 days ago and the only email I got was that they would let me know when my application was complete as well..

Can someone please post the secondary essay and word count from the application itself? Just submitted my primary and want to start writing over the weekend. I found a couple online but not sure what's the for sure one!

Current third year on rotations and fresh out of boards - feel free to reach out with any questions/concerns, I'd be more than happy to help!

Current third year on rotations and fresh out of boards - feel free to reach out with any questions/concerns, I'd be more than happy to help!

Thanks for this! Can you speak to the quality of your rotations so far -- do you find that the location allows you to get more hands-on experiences and stuff since there are less residents? Also, approximately how many people go to each core site -- are there notoriously bigger or smaller sites?

How difficult to get into this school OOS with 0 ties to Appalachia? I'm in a student org in Kentucky and have gotten very attached to the state despite living in the west coast

How difficult to get into this school OOS with 0 ties to Appalachia? I'm in a student org in Kentucky and have gotten very attached to the state despite living in the west coast

I have zero ties to Appalachia and interviewed, they give preference but it's by no means a dealbreaker

Hi all! I’m a 4th year at KYCOM. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out or post on here
Hi there! So my question is about the prompt: " Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school. Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician (500 words or less)."

Because of COVID, I wasnt able to get any DO shadowing hours or a letter. I'm super interested in the DOs perspective/philosophy and far prefer it to MD, but im not sure how to write about it without sounding like an idiot lol I plan to seek out a DO as soon as possible but my area is underserved AF and the DOs that are around (very very few) werent willing to have me, unfortunately. Any tips/ideas of what to write about here? Thanks!

I have zero ties to Appalachia and interviewed, they give preference but it's by no means a dealbreaker
Do your stats make this school a target (ish) school? I'm worried my primary/secondary were not strong enough to compensate for the fact my stats are so far away from the MCAT and GPA averages :(

Thanks for this! Can you speak to the quality of your rotations so far -- do you find that the location allows you to get more hands-on experiences and stuff since there are less residents? Also, approximately how many people go to each core site -- are there notoriously bigger or smaller sites?
My rotation site has been great so far - a solid balance between hands-on interactions but also has the didactics and resources to provide a great educational experience overall. You'll receive a good education at any site you go to, it's just that there are some locations that are more desirable. There are definitely larger and smaller sites as well, with some sites taking 2-3 students while others taking 20+.

My rotation site has been great so far - a solid balance between hands-on interactions but also has the didactics and resources to provide a great educational experience overall. You'll receive a good education at any site you go to, it's just that there are some locations that are more desirable. There are definitely larger and smaller sites as well, with some sites taking 2-3 students while others taking 20+.

Awesome, thanks! Do they use a lottery system where people pref their picks?

Awesome, thanks! Do they use a lottery system where people pref their picks?
For the majority of sites yes. There are certain sites that are application based, where you would submit your CV, interview, etc. but the majority of spots are obtained through a lottery system.

Do we think we will be hearing back from UPike this week for those who interviewed 2 weeks ago? I'm nervous!

So did I!! How do you think your interview went?
I feel like it went well but also I feel like I blacked out during it so I can’t give an answer for certain lol😂 Im thinking we should hear this week though based on previous threads!!

Haha they have marked me completed a few days ago even before receiving the physician letter. Not sure if this is a good news or a bad one ;)

Hi there! So my question is about the prompt: " Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school. Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician (500 words or less)."

Because of COVID, I wasnt able to get any DO shadowing hours or a letter. I'm super interested in the DOs perspective/philosophy and far prefer it to MD, but im not sure how to write about it without sounding like an idiot lol I plan to seek out a DO as soon as possible but my area is underserved AF and the DOs that are around (very very few) werent willing to have me, unfortunately. Any tips/ideas of what to write about here? Thanks!
Yes, so the school understands that all applicants are limited on this experience. I would write about your shadowing experience with any physician and how that helped you see that a DO program would be great for you. Try incorporating our mission as well as the tenants of the DO mission. Helping underserved, rural areas, how important the mind, body and spirit is etc. Also add that you continue to search for DO shadowing opportunities. The point of that essay is to explain why you are choosing to apply to a DO school and that you understand the differences.

Yes, so the school understands that all applicants are limited on this experience. I would write about your shadowing experience with any physician and how that helped you see that a DO program would be great for you. Try incorporating our mission as well as the tenants of the DO mission. Helping underserved, rural areas, how important the mind, body and spirit is etc. Also add that you continue to search for DO shadowing opportunities. The point of that essay is to explain why you are choosing to apply to a DO school and that you understand the differences.
Awesome thank you so much for the advice!! Appreciate you!!

Just got the Acceptance Call!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just received the acceptance call as well!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I just got the call this morning that I was accepted. I wanted to break down the process for those that are curious.

Secondary invite 6/24, submitted 7/9
Marked complete 7/12
Interview invite 8/24
Interview 9/7
Accepted 9/13

Stats: OOS, with no ties to Appalachia
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 504

Focus on primary medicine, mostly family medicine.

Let me know if you have questions! Happy to help :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call and accepted! I’m so happy

Reactions: 1 users
I got the acceptance call on 9/13 as well and am super excited!

Just got the official email from them and am slightly concerned - they state that "In order to confirm your acceptance and to secure your seat, please pay your acceptance deposit for receipt by the University of Pikeville no later than 12/14/2021."

I was under the impression that most schools don't require this commitment until much later in the cycle, so does anyone know if this is normal? I have a few other D.O interviews lined up in the next few months and was hoping to wait until I hear back from everyone before I pay a deposit

I got the acceptance call on 9/13 as well and am super excited!

Just got the official email from them and am slightly concerned - they state that "In order to confirm your acceptance and to secure your seat, please pay your acceptance deposit for receipt by the University of Pikeville no later than 12/14/2021."

I was under the impression that most schools don't require this commitment until much later in the cycle, so does anyone know if this is normal? I have a few other D.O interviews lined up in the next few months and was hoping to wait until I hear back from everyone before I pay a deposit

This is pretty normal for DO schools! Per AACOMAS traffic rules, if you get accepted prior to November 15, most DO schools will ask you to pay your deposit by December 14

Reactions: 2 users