2021-2022 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got offered a spot off the waitlist!!!!!!!!!!!!

(What do I do about my other school? Do I need to let them know I'm going to a different school?)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Got offered a spot off the waitlist!!!!!!!!!!!!

(What do I do about my other school? Do I need to let them know I'm going to a different school?)
1. Be sure you want to switch!
2. Accept the new offer, wait for confirmation they know you accepted.
3. Contact your former school directly, in writing, to let them know you have a new offer of admission that suits your situation better. Thank them for the opportunity, but say you would like to withdraw from their school.

3. Contact you former school directly, in writing, to let them know you have a new offer of admission that suits your situation better. Thank them for the opportunity, but say you would like to withdraw from their school.
Great! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
3. Contact your former school directly, in writing, to let them know you have a new offer of admission that suits your situation better. Thank them for the opportunity, but say you would like to withdraw from their school.
Another question, I accessed my TMDSAS account and I can't seem to access my 2021-2022 application anymore.

Seems like they started the 2023 cycle now...

I guess it doesn't matter since they have my final transcripts and what not already?

Another question, I accessed my TMDSAS account and I can't seem to access my 2021-2022 application anymore.

Seems like they started the 2023 cycle now...

I guess it doesn't matter since they have my final transcripts and what not already?
If you have a question for TMDSAS staff, the most secure/direct way is to message them when logged in to your account.
See if you can still use the internal messaging function.
If not, email them at [email protected] and include your full name and TMDSAS ID number in your message along with your question.

Does anyone know for how long Long considers students off the waitlist? I am considering sending an LOI, but I had already sent a letter in March and I am unsure if it would be worth it to send another update on my activities since then. Also, I have an acceptance at another school, but I would like to go to Long if possible. Would it be a bad idea to mention this in the update?
All I know is from my own experience, but also I prematched (3.6X gpa, 515-520 MCAT)

If you’re a student they are considering, Long responds very well to letters voicing your sincere interest in their school. I communicated directly with the admissions office to clear up my questions, post-interview, and made it clear that they were the school I hoped to join.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
Should I remove the school I decided to rescind my acceptance to from my FASFA?

Does anyone know for how long Long considers students off the waitlist? I am considering sending an LOI, but I had already sent a letter in March and I am unsure if it would be worth it to send another update on my activities since then. Also, I have an acceptance at another school, but I would like to go to Long if possible. Would it be a bad idea to mention this in the update?
Someone in my class was accepted off the WL the day before white coat. Most movement occurs in late May though

Reactions: 1 users
Way off topic and I already withdrew my acceptance from here but like….I know many of the medical students at TX schools are locals and if anyone needs an anonymous ear to vent to or a reassuring voice about the recent events in Uvalde…..here to talk.

Hi! Current MS2 here. I'm the same as you; I generally prefer learning on my own. Overall, I would say that the attendance policy is annoying but not a dealbreaker (for me at least), especially since it's usually easy to just work on your own stuff or do flashcards while sitting in mandatory lectures. It's definitely harder some weeks than others. One week you might only have to go to two or three required activities, other weeks you'll be there pretty much all morning, every morning (and some afternoons, too, especially first semester with anatomy). Probably the roughest thing about it is mandatory activities are spread out across the week, s you have to come to campus most days. Even if it's just for an hour, which seems like a waste of commuting time. Not all the in-person activities are bad, though! I actually really enjoy Synthesis (the weekly TBL sessions) and patient presentations. Case conferences tend to be mandatory, and they are a bit hit or miss.

The reason I say it's not too burdensome though is that despite everything, there's still enough flexibility for me to spend most of my time at home with my wife and puppies. I rarely watch lectures and never go to class unless I have to, and I've still managed to honor everything using third-party resources, Anki, and a few quick passes of lecture PowerPoints and/or the class-written learning objectives document.

Happy to answer any other questions! I've really enjoyed my time at Long so far and think it's a great option for most people.
Hi!
I will be attending LSOM this summer and was looking through old posts, trying to find advice regarding the curriculum and studying. Do you have any recommendations for particular resources and/or study strategies to use? Thank you!! :)

Hi!
I will be attending LSOM this summer and was looking through old posts, trying to find advice regarding the curriculum and studying. Do you have any recommendations for particular resources and/or study strategies to use? Thank you!! :)

Congratulations! You'll enjoy it here.

In regards to the curriculum. It's okay. Not the best, but also not the worst.

The first semester is definetly the hardest time during your pre-clinical year. Most students will agree. Not only do you have to adjust to the rapid onslaught of information, you have to keep up with two major classes (Biochem and Anatomy and then Micro and Anatomy) throughout the entire semester while also working on clinical skills.

End of the year (October-December) is when, for a lack of a better word, **** hits the fan.

After first semester, you only really have to focus on one organ block at a time (without having to take a block + anatomy) so it's a bit better, but still busy.

Class attendance is required like 50% of the time. First semester you'll be in class more often than not, but it is what it is.

In regards to resources, our school provides first aid, lecturio, and board vitals. Step resources (uworld) isn't provided until later.

I don't have the best grades (basically HP everything, but working towards getting more honors 😉).

I think the resources provided are sufficient to do well in school. I'm very big on anki, so that's my primary source of studying + questions. I know some students buy extra resources (e.g. BnB) in order to have more questions banks and what not.

I'd say my best tip is to try not to drown first semester. It is definetly the most difficult. Some people do, but the overarching advice is to not do too many ECs first semester. Just focus on honing your study technique and getting good grades.

Edit: One more thing. Sketchy is a god send for microbiology. It is the only class so far that I've honored eventhough only 30% of the class do. It might be strange to watch cartoons, but it works. Learn the keywords, practice problems, and you're golden. You'll get access to it eventually, as long as you reach out to your VPAs or older classmates. They'll help you out.

The first semester is definetly the hardest time during your pre-clinical year. Most students will agree. Not only do you have to adjust to the rapid onslaught of information, you have to keep up with two major classes (Biochem and Anatomy and then Micro and Anatomy) throughout the entire semester while also working on clinical skills.

End of the year (October-December) is when, for a lack of a better word, **** hits the fan.

After first semester, you only really have to focus on one organ block at a time (without having to take a block + anatomy) so it's a bit better, but still busy.

Class attendance is required like 50% of the time. First semester you'll be in class more often than not, but it is what it is.

In regards to resources, our school provides first aid, lecturio, and board vitals. Step resources (uworld) isn't provided until later.

I don't have the best grades (basically HP everything, but working towards getting more honors 😉).

I think the resources provided are sufficient to do well in school. I'm very big on anki, so that's my primary source of studying + questions. I know some students buy extra resources (e.g. BnB) in order to have more questions banks and what not.

I'd say my best tip is to try not to drown first semester. It is definetly the most difficult. Some people do, but the overarching advice is to not do too many ECs first semester. Just focus on honing your study technique and getting good grades.

Edit: One more thing. Sketchy is a god send for microbiology. It is the only class so far that I've honored eventhough only 30% of the class do. It might be strange to watch cartoons, but it works. Learn the keywords, practice problems, and you're golden. You'll get access to it eventually, as long as you reach out to your VPAs or older classmates. They'll help you out.
Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it :)

other than micro, did u just use long-provided resources (FA, Lecturio, BV) for block quizzes/exams?

other than micro, did u just use long-provided resources (FA, Lecturio, BV) for block quizzes/exams?
Been a year already wow.
Here are the only resources I used:
- Sketchy Micro and Pharm
- Boards and Beyond videos (google is your friend...iykyk)
- Anki

By the time I reached the final two semesters of my preclinical curriculum...I ignored all class materials and just organized each day by which BnB/Sketchy videos I needed to watch. Unsuspend the related cards. Repeat. Long gives you a week of no classes for exams. During that time, I spam questions and just skim through some high-yield class powerpoints that wasn't covered on BnB.