You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 UT San Antonio (Long)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
guybsjajvd
New Member
Matched! Is there a groupme for new students?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sufjanstan
New Member
Hey everyone! I did make a groupme for now, although I feel like there will probably be an official one soon. Message me for the link!
saguarocactus
New Member
Hey y’all! Matched yesterday morning!! (just made my SDN account right now to share and participate)
Already messaged for the GroupMe link and asked to join the FB page but if there’s anything else to join or check out the next few weeks please let me know!
Already messaged for the GroupMe link and asked to join the FB page but if there’s anything else to join or check out the next few weeks please let me know!
saguarocactus
New Member
For all the current Long students:
A bit generic and very open-ended but - what advice would y’all have for incoming students to Long? Anything unexpected or striking about your initial experience, or something about the school or med school lifestyle that took you a while to figure out?
A bit generic and very open-ended but - what advice would y’all have for incoming students to Long? Anything unexpected or striking about your initial experience, or something about the school or med school lifestyle that took you a while to figure out?
I matched here as well.
To those who weren’t so lucky on Friday, I’ll say this: it’s not over till it’s over. This is my third year in a row interviewing and applying to Long. Good luck to all of you.
To those who weren’t so lucky on Friday, I’ll say this: it’s not over till it’s over. This is my third year in a row interviewing and applying to Long. Good luck to all of you.
Shiboki
New Member
For OOS applicants waiting for a post-match offer, has anyone already heard back this last Friday? The email is hard to gauge when we may hear back:
"The TMDSAS Match for Texas residents happens on Friday, March 4, 2022. We “leave room” for our Out Of State students at that time, and so they may receive an acceptance just after the Match, in the next week or so."
"The TMDSAS Match for Texas residents happens on Friday, March 4, 2022. We “leave room” for our Out Of State students at that time, and so they may receive an acceptance just after the Match, in the next week or so."
Future_Doc_66
New Member
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if Long has sent out an email regarding waitlists?
Does anyone know if Long has sent out an email regarding waitlists?
The first few weeks are going to be a bit jarring when it comes to the amount of material you’re going to be responsible for. It’s extra tough because eventually you figure what they actually care about instead of trying to memorize everything, but most people can’t be convinced to not study something in that first period and that’s alright. Come in ready to sprint and slow down when you feel like it’s right.For all the current Long students:
A bit generic and very open-ended but - what advice would y’all have for incoming students to Long? Anything unexpected or striking about your initial experience, or something about the school or med school lifestyle that took you a while to figure out?
But it 100% will slow down for you at some point and then you’re golden! There’s much more of a social/personal life in med school than I expected.
msjackson275
Full Member
any OOS hear anything yet?
Several OOS people posted on this thread about acceptances in November
msjackson275
Full Member
Yes I meant after the match! They sent an email saying we should hear something this week, but I’m not sure if that just applies to those acceptedSeveral OOS people posted on this thread about acceptances in November
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
msjackson275
Full Member
Does the email today mean they already sent out post-match A’s to OOS? I’m confused
I am confused (and OOS) as well but I am guessing it means they sent the post-match A's to OOS already 🙁Does the email today mean they already sent out post-match A’s to OOS? I’m confused
I’m surprised there weren’t any posts here from OOS students getting accepted!I am confused (and OOS) as well but I am guessing it means they sent the post-match A's to OOS already 🙁
Mango Hombre
New Member
I haven't heard anything yet, but should we really take the email from Dr. K as not getting chosen? It says "Out of State applicants, you were not a participant in the Match, but we will continue to offer acceptances to Out of State applicants throughout the Wait Pool Period also". I'm not sure how to take this email. I'm already going to start the reapplication process but since nobody has posted about being accepted as OOS post-match, I'm holding out hope that it hasn't started. Am I being naive??
Sometimes Long sends out WL offers fairly soon after match day, but most of them will happen in April and May.I haven't heard anything yet, but should we really take the email from Dr. K as not getting chosen? It says "Out of State applicants, you were not a participant in the Match, but we will continue to offer acceptances to Out of State applicants throughout the Wait Pool Period also". I'm not sure how to take this email. I'm already going to start the reapplication process but since nobody has posted about being accepted as OOS post-match, I'm holding out hope that it hasn't started. Am I being naive??
I haven’t seen anyone announce one so far, but it has only been one week.
Anonymousjoker1
New Member
If any current student could give insight about life at Long SOM with it not being p/f and if there is a collaborative environment and if students are really happy?
MS1 here. The grading system isn't really as bad as it sounds because there are no cutoffs on how many people can honor (A). everyone is able to do well if you put the work in and in some modules around 50% of the class will honor.If any current student could give insight about life at Long SOM with it not being p/f and if there is a collaborative environment and if students are really happy?
I honestly prefer having grades compared to hidden internal rankings because it is transparent and lets you know where you stand. Preclinical grades also matter very little to residency applications, but it is kind of nice being able to distinguish yourself academically.
As for collaboration, people share notes and anki decks they make and we bounce ideas off each other, I don't get a cutthroat vibe at all. The faculty are also very nice and helpful.
Most of the classmates I know are genuinely pretty happy here. I'm not saying this just to shill for the school, but the environment/culture of the school is very friendly.
Current student here answering some questions I saw above.
I am OOS and I didn't get my acceptance until the end of May, and this is when many of my OOS friends were accepted as well. This school in particular seems to be receptive to post-interview communications, so an email to admissions with updates (research, volunteering, shadowing, interest in the program) could be helpful to you if it's substantive.
When I was accepted there was no drug screening process. When you get your VA credentials you will sign a form saying they can drug screen you at any time, but no one I know has ever been screened. Process may have changed but I don't think so.
In terms of grading, it's not cutthroat at all. We had a google doc with all of the learning objective completed by students. Anki deck were passed around as well. For me personally, having pre-clinical grades has only helped me.
I am OOS and I didn't get my acceptance until the end of May, and this is when many of my OOS friends were accepted as well. This school in particular seems to be receptive to post-interview communications, so an email to admissions with updates (research, volunteering, shadowing, interest in the program) could be helpful to you if it's substantive.
When I was accepted there was no drug screening process. When you get your VA credentials you will sign a form saying they can drug screen you at any time, but no one I know has ever been screened. Process may have changed but I don't think so.
In terms of grading, it's not cutthroat at all. We had a google doc with all of the learning objective completed by students. Anki deck were passed around as well. For me personally, having pre-clinical grades has only helped me.
I’ve never been tested and nobody I know ever has been either. You do sign a paper before your ms3 starts that you can be drug tested at any time.Can any current students give any information on drug screening? There is no mention of one on the next steps website, but according to the UTHSCSA, all health science students have to complete a drug screen.
@NotTheOne or @I_like_guacamole would either of you be able to track down a Residency Match List 2022 for Long?
If you DM it to me I can take the names off & post it on our Match 2022 thread. Please & thank you
If you DM it to me I can take the names off & post it on our Match 2022 thread. Please & thank you
I will look around!@NotTheOne or @I_like_guacamole would either of you be able to track down a Residency Match List 2022 for Long?
If you DM it to me I can take the names off & post it on our Match 2022 thread. Please & thank you![]()
thatonegrrl
Full Member
Seconded. I am still trying to finalize my decision and would like to see the match list from this year at Long.@NotTheOne or @I_like_guacamole would either of you be able to track down a Residency Match List 2022 for Long?
If you DM it to me I can take the names off & post it on our Match 2022 thread. Please & thank you![]()
Long hasn’t made their list open to the public yet so you might have to decide without all the info.Seconded. I am still trying to finalize my decision and would like to see the match list from this year at Long.
thatonegrrl
Full Member
How long until they make it public, usually? I have a couple weeks yet. (Drop dead date from TMDSAS is April 30 I believe, but I'd like to decide sooner if possible. I'm shooting for Easter weekend).Long hasn’t made their list open to the public yet so you might have to decide without all the info.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is the 2021 match list OFFICIAL - 2021 Match ListsHow long until they make it public, usually? I have a couple weeks yet. (Drop dead date from TMDSAS is April 30 I believe, but I'd like to decide sooner if possible. I'm shooting for Easter weekend).
Is there a helpful post on interpreting match lists?Here is the 2021 match list OFFICIAL - 2021 Match Lists
Anonymousjoker1
New Member
If any current student could answer these questions I’d appreciate it:
1) Are the exams at the end of each block NBME exams or written by the professor?
2) # of mandatory clinical activities per week e.g. clinic, inpatient rounds, during the preclinical years
1) Are the exams at the end of each block NBME exams or written by the professor?
2) # of mandatory clinical activities per week e.g. clinic, inpatient rounds, during the preclinical years
In house exams, one mandatory activity every 2 months or so during preclinicalsIf any current student could answer these questions I’d appreciate it:
1) Are the exams at the end of each block NBME exams or written by the professor?
2) # of mandatory clinical activities per week e.g. clinic, inpatient rounds, during the preclinical years
I have a dumb question.....As I look further into the city of San Antonio, I am finding that there are absolutely no indoor climbing gyms other than at the UTSA campus (unless all you want is bouldering). My question is - while UTHSA and UTSA are separate institutions, I know they have had a number of partnerships and agreements over the years. Does anyone know if UTHSA students can have access to/purchase a non-student membership at the UTSA rec center?
Frank question here: I live in a state where weed is recreationally legal. Can anyone speak to when matriculation drug screenings occur for long?
We don't have any mandatory ones until (maybe) when we start clinicalsFrank question here: I live in a state where weed is recreationally legal. Can anyone speak to when matriculation drug screenings occur for long?
For match purposes, you can watch the video on facebook live ()! I would maybe email Dr. K as well and ask for a list. Someone did this last year, and she was more than happy to share it! Competitive speciality wise, we hadHow long until they make it public, usually? I have a couple weeks yet. (Drop dead date from TMDSAS is April 30 I believe, but I'd like to decide sooner if possible. I'm shooting for Easter weekend).
-7 match Derm (Mayo Clinic MS, Tufts, Dell Med, UTSW, UTHSA, Texas Tech, UNC Chapel Hill) and 1 match Derm who didn't match last year (McGovern), so 8 Derms total,
-Ortho: 8?
-Path (2)
-Urology (5?)
This is just a sneak peak because its off the top of my head and none of us have an actual list, but it gives you an idea sort of. I feel like this year we matched to really great places!! Also for the match day video, not everyone attended and participated so its not representative. I will post if we ever get a list as well.
If any current student could answer these questions I’d appreciate it:
1) Are the exams at the end of each block NBME exams or written by the professor?
2) # of mandatory clinical activities per week e.g. clinic, inpatient rounds, during the preclinical years
1. By the professor. They do at least try to make the questions similar to Step though (clinical vignettes, etc.)
2. The only mandatory clinical activity during preclinical is a monthly-ish visit with a longitudinal preceptor assigned to you at random. The experience can be pretty varied based on the doctor / specialty you're assigned. For example, mine was a pediatric heme-onc doctor and I learned a lot interviewing and presenting a couple patients every month. Some of my friends had less stellar experiences becuase they were less interested in the fields they were assigned to (FM, EM, etc.). Beyond that though, there are other mandatory "clinical skills" activities that happen maybe once a week or so (SP cases, skills labs, OSCEs, etc.).
Anonymousjoker1
New Member
Does Long give students a laptop/ ipad?
I don't think Long sends much off the waitlist until May
There's the district, armadillo boulder, etcI have a dumb question.....As I look further into the city of San Antonio, I am finding that there are absolutely no indoor climbing gyms other than at the UTSA campus (unless all you want is bouldering). My question is - while UTHSA and UTSA are separate institutions, I know they have had a number of partnerships and agreements over the years. Does anyone know if UTHSA students can have access to/purchase a non-student membership at the UTSA rec center?
Right, so those are bouldering gyms and the “etc” is Lifetime fitness (expensive and limited) and the UTSA rec center….there is not a dedicated climbing gym (as in top rope) in SA.There's the district, armadillo boulder, etc
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TomFooleryJr
New Member
If you're open to outdoor sport climbing, there's Medicine Wall with ~60 routes!Right, so those are bouldering gyms and the “etc” is Lifetime fitness (expensive and limited) and the UTSA rec center….there is not a dedicated climbing gym (as in top rope) in SA.
D
deleted975161
No, you'll need your own. They're not particular about what device you use as long as it can run examplify since that is what we take our exams on.Does Long give students a laptop/ ipad?
throwawaymedstudent
New Member
Does anyone know for how long Long considers students off the waitlist? I am considering sending an LOI, but I had already sent a letter in March and I am unsure if it would be worth it to send another update on my activities since then. Also, I have an acceptance at another school, but I would like to go to Long if possible. Would it be a bad idea to mention this in the update?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 234
- Views
- 77K
