2021-2022 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long School of Medicine does not employ written secondary essays, so we won't post prompts here as we do for other schools.

They do want CASPer (required) and Duet (Altus Suite component, pilot, "strongly encouraged")

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So I just got an email that my application is now under review at Long but it says this "All applicants who are invited to interview are also invited to complete the Standard One-Way Video Interview (SOWVI). This is a great way to showcase who you are! If you do choose to complete a SOWVI, it will be due no later than the date of your interview, just like the CASPer. You can explore more about it, or do your SOWVI here:..." but when I click the link it says it is due on June 22 , 2021 so in a week. Do I have to do this now or what Is the deal with it?
The due date will update when/if you are invited to an interview. No need to worry about it now.
I don't have a good sense of how many applicants opted to do this optional thing last year. It was/is not mandatory.

The due date will update when/if you are invited to an interview. No need to worry about it now.
I don't have a good sense of how many applicants opted to do this optional thing last year. It was/is not mandatory.
Something else I noticed is that when you click on the link to take it, it says, "After a very positive pilot, we are recommending to applicants invited for an interview, that you complete this SOWVI-Standardized One Way Video Interview." Which seems to suggest that you should wait for an interview invite before taking it, if you decide to take it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Something else I noticed is that when you click on the link to take it, it says, "After a very positive pilot, we are recommending to applicants invited for an interview, that you complete this SOWVI-Standardized One Way Video Interview." Which seems to suggest that you should wait for an interview invite before taking it, if you decide to take it?
Yes, take it if / after being invited to interview.

Any interview invites been sent out yet? I am just curious when they start. My app was marked received by them yesterday!
I don’t think invites start being sent out until July..?

I just got an email from them regarding that SOWVI link, saying that is for EY 21, and they sent a new link for the new EY. The new link has the due date in 2022. Just double check that you have the right link before completing it.

Reactions: 1 user
So just to clarify, we should wait for an interview invite to complete the SOWVI?

How long does it take to complete the SOWVI?

How long does it take to complete the SOWVI?
It takes as long as you want! I believe from the last cycle it was a 2-minute response each for two questions. You can re-take the recording until you are satisfied to submit so there is no pressure. You can also log out and log in with no penalty, so it's really chill! Dr. K explains all this in the introductory video in the SOWVI. But, don't worry about this until you gett invited for an interview.

I was transmitted to schools on 6/29 but I haven't received an email from Long yet. How long did it take for them to send you an email?

Remember, Long has no secondary essays.
They do want CASPer and Duet, if you haven't done those things yet.
Yes, Long has no secondaries, but they send out an email notifying applicants when they have received their primaries. I'm a reapplicant

Members don't see this ad :)
What do they mean when they say "Receipt of the MCAT score is required for an interview invitation?" I already submitted my MCAT scores through TMDSAS, is that enough?

What do they mean when they say "Receipt of the MCAT score is required for an interview invitation?" I already submitted my MCAT scores through TMDSAS, is that enough?
Yes, if you have sent a score you are ready. They must have put this in to address applicants who might have everything submitted except a late MCAT test date score.

Do they do this for MD/PhD as well - have not received anything yet
Yes, Long has no secondaries, but they send out an email notifying applicants when they have received their primaries. I'm a reapplicant

Received an application receipt email on 6/25 (submitted 6/4, app transmitted 6/24). It said interviews will be virtual and on Fridays August-January if that helps anyone! Also says Casper is not used in screening decision, and is required by your interview date.

MCAT required for interview screening. LORs and Casper not required. Duet strongly encouraged but "applicants will not be penalized if they choose not to complete it"

MSTP applicant here, received confirmation that my application was received and are being reviewed now this morning

What are the LOR requirements for MSTP?
I was never able to find anything on this when I started this process. The website just says send letters via amcas and their email to me says the same haha. Hoping they let me know if I am missing something. For reference though I submitted 2 Professors 2 PIs + a clinical so hopefully that covers my bases

• Care
Do they do this for MD/PhD as well - have not received anything yet
Thats correct, no MSTP secondary either. I do believe they send an email if invited to interview with research preferences to try and match interviewers however

Thats correct, no MSTP secondary either. I do believe they send an email if invited to interview with research preferences to try and match interviewers however
Yes, I received the e-mail this morning! Thank you!

Yes. I am a JAMP applicant, so I have received IIs at most of the TX schools so far.
That's awesome! Congratulations, and best of luck. For UTSA, did you do the "optional" video interview before they sent you an II?

That's awesome! Congratulations, and best of luck. For UTSA, did you do the "optional" video interview before they sent you an II?
Jamp applicants will get their interviews without any ties to fulfilling whatever you think you might need to do. They operate under a completely different set of rules compared to regular applicants.

I completed all the steps of a regular applicant, including secondary apps for all the schools. The only difference is we are given IIs at all the participating schools.

Thank you so much!!! :) and no, they sent me the video interview after the II (they said just to complete it before the interview) !
Did you take CASPer and related tests also for each school?

I got an II today, normal non-JAMP applicant didn't do any of the optional stuff

Reactions: 3 users
IS II Recieved today in the morning!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Have you applied to NYU?

I dont see you attending UTSA but congratulations on the II!
I appreciate the sentiment, but I haven't cured cancer or anything so NYU is probably out of my reach with that 2.2% acceptance rate :rofl: Besides, Long is pretty amazing, so UTSA is definitely a top choice for me :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone done the SOWVI? What was it like? Nervous to do it haha

Has anyone done the SOWVI? What was it like? Nervous to do it haha
I did it a while ago because I kept getting email reminders to fill it out and one of them said Final Reminder so I went ahead and did it even though I didn't have an II. It wasn't bad at all you have unlimited takes if I remember correctly. Hopefully I didn't mess up my chances by doing it early rip

I appreciate the sentiment, but I haven't cured cancer or anything so NYU is probably out of my reach with that 2.2% acceptance rate :rofl: Besides, Long is pretty amazing, so UTSA is definitely a top choice for me :)
I dont think NYU is looking for that. They want to show the highest average stats possible from what I have seen and I have not seen a 526 in a while..

Glad to see everyone getting II's! Best of luck, don't take all the spots ;)

I did it a while ago because I kept getting email reminders to fill it out and one of them said Final Reminder so I went ahead and did it even though I didn't have an II. It wasn't bad at all you have unlimited takes if I remember correctly. Hopefully I didn't mess up my chances by doing it early rip
What SOWVI? How do you access this? Didn't realize Long had something for you to do after submitting.

I posted in the MD/PhD interview thread but forgot to reply here and I know most here are MD applicants but if any MSTP applicants stumble in here...

II received 7/30

Has anyone interviewed yet? If so, how did it go? Also are there multiple attempts on the SOWVI?