-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Waitlist Support Thread
Started by BioPsychotic
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
manifestingA
Full Member
Same :/My top choice accepted people off the waitlist yesterday and I’m just crossing my fingers for another movement so badd
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
siloaddict
Full Member
I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
m a n i f e s t i n g
a n
a c c e p t a n c e
t h i s
w e e k
p l z
&
t h a n k
y o u
a n
a c c e p t a n c e
t h i s
w e e k
p l z
&
t h a n k
y o u
For all future As, one must write in this thread: "I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you."
My bad, let's try again:For all future As, one must write in this thread: "I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you."
I have decided that I will be receiving an email/call from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
For all future As, one must write in this thread: "I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you."
Woooops, let me do this one more time.
I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
chronicstudent
Full Member
I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
cheetolover14
Full Member
I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
I have decided that I will be receiving an email/call from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
lurker1334
Full Member
I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
I have decided that I will not be checking this thread until this passes!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Premed drone mindsetI have decided that I will not be checking this thread until this passes!
Coping strategies are important. I appreciate that people here have found some camaraderie to help with possibly one of the most soul crushing experiences that exists in medicine. Repeating a mantra and feeling part of the community really helps. Maybe refraining from shaming people for their innocuous participation would be a more gracious choice. No offense.Premed drone mindset
Be kind to each other in the face of adversity.
Salty Cheese
Full Member
Nothing else to lose so. I have decided that I will be receiving an email from my waitlist school by the end of this week. Thank you.
What have I started... Still praying though 🙁
Hey gyngyn, I wanted to ask a quick q:Be kind to each other in the face of adversity.
Do you know if it’s common for applicants to disregard the April 30 deadline and hold onto more than one acceptance?
Would you say this is only a small minority of applicants, and unlikely to impede WL movement?
I have only seen a tiny percentage try this. They quickly respond when contacted, so the problem does not persist.Hey gyngyn, I wanted to ask a quick q:
Do you know if it’s common for applicants to disregard the April 30 deadline and hold onto more than one acceptance?
Would you say this is only a small minority of applicants, and unlikely to impede WL movement?
Yes and no, and this is very widely misunderstood. Yes, you can only select one school as PTE/CTE. This is always, not just after 5/2.Doesn't AMCAS make it impossible to have more than one PTE past May 2nd?
I guess with a wait-list acceptance they also limit you with a short deadline like a week or under so within that time you have to make a choice if you have a PTE elsewhere.
The twist is, before 5/2, CTE was not available, and schools could not identify which applicants selected PTE and which did not, so you could hold as many As as you liked, even though you were supposed to reduce to 3 on 4/15.
Now, MOST, but not all, schools require you to be PTE or CTE. That's what limits you to one, since you can only select one and most schools require it. As you noted, schools calling people off WLs give them a window to make a decision, and if they are already PTE elsewhere they can hold multiple As until the window closes, at the discretion of the new school. The existing PTE school never sees the new A, unless it ultimately becomes the PTE school, at which point the old school will receive notification from AMCAS, if not the applicant, that it is no longer the applicant's PTE school.
What most people do not understand is that all schools do not require PTE, either by 5/2, or ever. So, aside from @gyngyn's example of people playing games and being brought into line by schools, you can theoretically hold As at schools that don't require PTE and don't care that you are PTE elsewhere. This ultimately ends when the first CTE deadline rolls around, because at that point you have to withdraw from all other schools and, so far, very few schools have shown a willingness to accept people who are CTE elsewhere, although that too is theoretically possible.
This is relatively rare across 22,000+ accepted applicants across all schools, so it's not a big issue, but it can definitely cause late WL movement at schools that do not require PTE and find themselves with open seats as people drop their As along the way, or when the CTE deadline strikes.
To a lesser extent, it can cause some WL movement at other schools, as people unexpectedly drop their PTEs there when they commit to the school where they were holding the A that did not require PTE. To the PTE school it looks like the person was accepted off a WL, when in reality they had been holding the A all along (or at least since before 5/2).
Again, very few schools allow this, even fewer people at those schools ever had multiple As, and then a small subset of them actually hold more than one A after 5/2. It's just worth knowing that it does happen, and it does cause some late WL movement at some schools.
The bottom line is that everything settles out as CTE deadlines come and go. From this week forward, WL movement is going to continue, but at a much slower pace than from the beginning of May until now, until each school locks down its class as CTE deadlines start hitting in earnest in the next few weeks, really accelerating in July.
"I have decided that I will be receiving an acceptance from my waitlist school by the end of next week. Thank you."🤠🥴
I have decided that I will be receiving an acceptance from any of my 4 waitlist schools by the end of next week. Thank you.
chizel0908
Full Member
Lol I just found this thread and i now know why I haven't gotten off my waitlist yet...
manifesting so hard rn
manifesting so hard rn
Lol I just found this thread and i now know why I haven't gotten off my waitlist yet...
manifesting so hard rn
[emoji38] I said the same thing lol.
MANIFEST IT[emoji1694]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Coping strategies are important. I appreciate that people here have found some camaraderie to help with possibly one of the most soul crushing experiences that exists in medicine. Repeating a mantra and feeling part of the community really helps. Maybe refraining from shaming people for their innocuous participation would be a more gracious choice. No offense.
If anything, it was a satirical comment. No offense intended. I too am on multiple waitlists. Just making light of a dreary situation. Apologies to those that felt offended.Be kind to each other in the face of adversity.
Edit: I myself am guilty of "living" on these boards over the last year and am appreciative of all of you. Wish you guys and gals success in the coming weeks!
Last edited:
I have decided I will be receiving an [emoji92]acceptance[emoji92] from my top choice school that happens to be my only WL by the end of next week[emoji1694][emoji846]. Trying to keep the faith is exhausting!!
Last edited:
siloaddict
Full Member
#depression 🥺👉👈
#depression [emoji3064][emoji117][emoji118]
I feel you 100%, I’m so sad and desperate. I feel so incompetent
throwaway198773
Full Member
6 minutes laterI feel you 100%, I’m so sad and desperate. I feel so incompetent
Wow that timing is incredibleGUYS I JUST GOT ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST… I CANT BELIEVE IT… IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR
edit: also -- congrats!!
Last edited:
manifestingA
Full Member
Let me just say….. this sucks 😞💔💔💔💔
Fr frLet me just say….. this sucks 😞💔💔💔💔
Big mood... feels like nothing can go my way these days 🙁Let me just say….. this sucks 😞💔💔💔💔
Feelsbad 🙁
anon129847
New Member
Anyone else keep checking the choose your medical school tool just in case something changes before you get notified??? Even though this is virtually impossible?? Just me? cool
Literally same [emoji24] and my secondary portals in case the email ~got lost~ lmaoAnyone else keep checking the choose your medical school tool just in case something changes before you get notified??? Even though this is virtually impossible?? Just me? cool
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
definitely not just you 😂😂Anyone else keep checking the choose your medical school tool just in case something changes before you get notified??? Even though this is virtually impossible?? Just me? cool
Anyone else keep checking the choose your medical school tool just in case something changes before you get notified??? Even though this is virtually impossible?? Just me? cool
Lol, and checking the application portal at my top choice to see if any updates have *missed* your email account. Only every day, all day[emoji854][emoji38]
me and the secondary portal like 🤝 all dayLiterally same [emoji24] and my secondary portals in case the email ~got lost~ lmao
me and the secondary portal like [emoji1666] all day
Me continuously checking all day knowing nothing will have changed [emoji1782]
Similar threads
- Replies
- 703
- Views
- 140K