2022-2023 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Billiboy for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Alabama Secondary Essay Prompts (750 character limit each)

1. Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

2. Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application.

3. Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.

4. Please describe if and how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected your preparation for applying to medical school.

5. Describe a patient interaction with the healthcare system. This could be a direct patient observation (in person or virtual) during a shadowing experience, a personal experience within the healthcare system, or a family member or friend who had a memorable interaction within the healthcare system. What did you learn from this experience?

6. Describe a fulfilling or challenging community service experience and how you grew personally from the experience.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m an OOS student with zero ties to Alabama. My only connection is my college advisor/mentor who got their PhD at UAB and encouraged me to apply there. Is this a strong enough tie? Other students from my school have applied and been accepted, but I don't know what their ties were.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also hoping someone could speak about their experiences with UAB and OOS students. I'm wondering how they'd view someone from a neighboring state but without any ties.

I was also hoping someone could speak about their experiences with UAB and OOS students. I'm wondering how they'd view someone from a neighboring state but without any ties.
The are a public school so will favor IS applicants. Last year 87% of matriculants were IS and 13% OOS.
I don't think they are as particular as some schools (like South Carolina for instance) which states their OOS students come from.

The are a public school so will favor IS applicants. Last year 87% of matriculants were IS and 13% OOS.
I don't think they are as particular as some schools (like South Carolina for instance) which states their OOS students come from.
It seems like applying would likely still be worth it then. Thanks!

Is anyone’s secondary app link not working?

mines not working either, anyone have any recommendations on what to do?
I emailed the adcom and the updated link they sent didn’t work either. Their only other solution was to clear my cache but that didn’t work either :(

IS received and the link worked for me!

Questions @wysdoc :
Responses are limited to 750 characters.

Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application.

Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.

Please describe if and how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected your preparation for applying to medical school.

Describe a patient interaction with the healthcare system. This could be a direct patient observation (in person or virtual) during a shadowing experience, a personal experience within the healthcare system, or a family member or friend who had a memorable interaction within the healthcare system. What did you learn from this experience?

Describe a fulfilling or challenging community service experience and how you grew personally from the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, thanks for the reply. I will try a third computer I suppose haha.

mines not working either, anyone have any recommendations on what to do?
Mine didn't work for a few days. I switched the Wifi I was using to my phone's hotspot and it suddenly worked again. No idea why that worked but maybe try using a different Wifi network?

Mine didn't work for a few days. I switched the Wifi I was using to my phone's hotspot and it suddenly worked again. No idea why that worked but maybe try using a different Wifi network?
+1, I had to use my phone's hotspot for it to work.

is anyone applying early decision? If so, do you know when to expect an II/R? the Heersink site says II’s start getting sent July 15 but I haven’t heard anything about anyone receiving an II yet, ED or RD. I sent in my secondary 7/8 and took PREview on 7/14

Is having the Preview exam very important? I am wondering if it is worth it to take just for this school

Last edited:
I am really struggling with this essay:

5. Describe a patient interaction with the healthcare system. This could be a direct patient observation (in person or virtual) during a shadowing experience, a personal experience within the healthcare system, or a family member or friend who had a memorable interaction within the healthcare system. What did you learn from this experience?

Would using a negative experience be... wrong?

I am really struggling with this essay:

Would using a negative experience be... wrong?
Using a negative experience wouldn't be wrong - however, I think you want to come at this question from a positive perspective if possible. Alternatively, you can use a negative experience, but just try to say you learned at least something positive from it. Thats just my two cents.

Early Decision (ED)

Anyone apply early decision and get an II yet?

is anyone applying early decision? If so, do you know when to expect an II/R? the Heersink site says II’s start getting sent July 15 but I haven’t heard anything about anyone receiving an II yet, ED or RD. I sent in my secondary 7/8 and took PREview on 7/14
I applied ED and have not heard anything yet

does anyone know if they wait until they have your PREView score before reviewing your application?

does anyone know if they wait until they have your PREView score before reviewing your application?

In their info sesh they said it is not required and if u take it it will only be used to help you after an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my secondary invite a couple days after I took the PREview and my scores were available on July 27th. Still haven't gotten an II yet.

Has anyone gotten an II from regular decision pool?

Just got my Interview Invite! I applied Primary Care Track and Early Decision. But, there's something wrong, when I go to sign up for an interview all the dates are blocked out, it won't let me choose.

Last edited:
Just got my Interview Invite! I applied Primary Care Track and Early Decision. But, there's something wrong, when I go to sign up for an interview all the dates are blocked out, it won't let me choose.
did they notify via email or phone call? and do you mind me asking when you were complete by?

did they notify via email or phone call? and do you mind me asking when you were complete by?
I submitted my secondary on June 30th, and I received an email today, 08/14, at 4 pm. Don't be discouraged though, I applied early decision and even if you did too, secondaries aren't due till tomorrow so I don't doubt they haven't sent them all out yet at all. The interview dates are as follows so there's definitely time

August 25, 2022 (ED)

September 8, 2022 (ED, MSTP)

September 15, 2022 (ED, PCT)

September 22, 2022

October 13, 2022 (PCT)

October 20, 2022 (MSTP)

November 3, 2022

November 17, 2022 (PCT, MSTP)

December 1, 2022 (PCT, MSTP)

January 12, 2023 (PCT, MSTP)

January 19, 2023

January 26, 2023

February 9, 2023

March 2, 2023 (make-up date only)

Is anyone else unable to access the application portal? I wanted to check something but I keep getting an error. I'm using the link they included in the "secondary complete" email (AMP).

Edit: I also found this site through googling, but when I click login, it does nothing.

Last edited:
Is anyone else unable to access the application portal? I wanted to check something but I keep getting an error. I'm using the link they included in the "secondary complete" email (AMP).

Edit: I also found this site through googling, but when I click login, it does nothing.
Try loading the link they sent you on your phone using data, or by using a mobile hot spot. That is what worked for me!

I submitted my secondary on June 30th, and I received an email today, 08/14, at 4 pm. Don't be discouraged though, I applied early decision and even if you did too, secondaries aren't due till tomorrow so I don't doubt they haven't sent them all out yet at all. The interview dates are as follows so there's definitely time

August 25, 2022 (ED)

September 8, 2022 (ED, MSTP)

September 15, 2022 (ED, PCT)

September 22, 2022

October 13, 2022 (PCT)

October 20, 2022 (MSTP)

November 3, 2022

November 17, 2022 (PCT, MSTP)

December 1, 2022 (PCT, MSTP)

January 12, 2023 (PCT, MSTP)

January 19, 2023

January 26, 2023

February 9, 2023

March 2, 2023 (make-up date only)
great thank you! i was complete 7/8 but that was with me taking the full 2 weeks to complete my secondary. my preview score comes out tomorrow so hopefully they’re just waiting on that 🤞🏻🤞🏻

great thank you! i was complete 7/8 but that was with me taking the full 2 weeks to complete my secondary. my preview score comes out tomorrow so hopefully they’re just waiting on that 🤞🏻🤞🏻
does it matter if you submit after 2 weeks?

Has anyone received an II for RD? Looking at last year's SDN UAB page RD II invites began to be sent out early/mid August but I haven't seen any RD II post yet.

@hdc344 This year's UAB forum seems more quiet, and I'm wondering the same as you

Maybe we’ll get something for RD this week… I would hope with it being towards the end of august

I have been thinking the same thing! Hoping to hear for RD II this week, crossing my fingers

Can any MSTP applicants comment on if you received a secondary right away? Or did they initially review your primary and either reject or send secondary? I just received an email that the secondary is not required at this time

Can any MSTP applicants comment on if you received a secondary right away? Or did they initially review your primary and either reject or send secondary? I just received an email that the secondary is not required at this time
I first got an email saying my app was received and that they would do an initial review and then about a week later I got the secondary

What if we don't have any additional experiences that weren't on our AMCAS application to add in our secondary? Is it okay to just leave this section incomplete? I included hobbies even on my primary app so I am at a loss of what I could actually add.

Any ED applicants still waiting on an II? I haven’t heard anything since my secodnary was confirmed and I’m getting antsy

Any ED applicants still waiting on an II? I haven’t heard anything since my secodnary was confirmed and I’m getting antsy
SAME. I submitted one day after you on 7/8. I’m wondering why hardly anyone from ED has heard anything but one of the ED interview dates has already passed

got an II yesterday! for anyone applying for a dual degree program, you’ll get instructions on setting up a graduate program meeting when you get the II! I took the full two weeks to send back my secondary so looks like they may be reviewing people who sent theirs back early/mid July now

Reactions: 2 users