2022-2023 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Just recieved competencies checklist. Not a secondary though

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 secondary , received instantly after submission of checklist

Do you mind posting the secondary?
It's a very long, awesomely weird secondary. Basically, you have to make three 8.5"×11" visual representations about you/your work/your interests, one for each of the following: compassion, creativity, curiosity. Then you have 100 characters to explain your visual representation. There's then a video portion with 4 question.

This YouTuber talks about one of his: it's at the 8:02 mark.

It's a very long, awesomely weird secondary. Basically, you have to make three 8.5"×11" visual representations about you/your work/your interests, one for each of the following: compassion, creativity, curiosity. Then you have 100 characters to explain your visual representation. There's then a video portion with 4 question.

This YouTuber talks about one of his: it's at the 8:02 mark.

Oh noooooo… my only weakness…. Art hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
For the competency checklist, it asks for 3 semesters of chemistry. How are you all filling this in if you have semester-equivalents (5 quarters of chemistry?) Is that what the "multi-semester" option means? Thanks!

Received secondary, OOS.

Wondering if we're allowed to label images in our collage? Can we have any words or does it purely need to be visual?

Thanks!

Received secondary, OOS.

Wondering if we're allowed to label images in our collage? Can we have any words or does it purely need to be visual?

Thanks!
OOS secondary recieved!!! So excited and nervous haha.

I was just watching the student video about their secondaries, it seems like they would like some description underneath the images so I think it's totally great to label images! It seems like the school is super flexible about the artifacts and wants you to show who you are like a "show and tell" So as long as the labels are still legible on the pdf I think you're good to go

Submitted competency checklist a few days ago but have not received a secondary yet. How long was the turnaround time for y’all?

Submitted competency checklist a few days ago but have not received a secondary yet. How long was the turnaround time for y’all?
Same, I filled it out on Tuesday and have not heard anything. I think it's because I had to upload a document and explanation of how I met one of the competencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
"For your level of commitment were you a group participant, a project leader, an idea initiator, doing this activity independently?"

For the level of commitment text box, should we be answering this for each image we include? Or generally/broadly?

If you fill out the competencies will you be informed if you do not qualify for a secondary? Submitted over 10ish days ago but have not heard anything back.

Am I under the impression that there is no interview? Only seeing the video essay (pretty much video recorded interview responses). If so, anybody have any insight into what kind of questions they ask and their experience was? Best of luck to you all!

How much text did y'all put on the artifact itself? I feel like I'm putting too much next to pics.

Am I under the impression that there is no interview? Only seeing the video essay (pretty much video recorded interview responses). If so, anybody have any insight into what kind of questions they ask and their experience was? Best of luck to you all!
Yes, there is no interview. They just invite the top candidates to a showcase (a presentation they do) later in the year and admit people from them

Anyone do the video essays yet? How was their experience? One thing I learned after reading all the past threads was that the 4 questions we are supposed to answer have to all be answered within the 5 minute span. I was under the impression that we would get 5 minutes per question, but seems like that's not the case.

Anyone do the video essays yet? How was their experience? One thing I learned after reading all the past threads was that the 4 questions we are supposed to answer have to all be answered within the 5 minute span. I was under the impression that we would get 5 minutes per question, but seems like that's not the case.
If you are talking about snapshot (I think that’s what it’s called - the CASPER related thing), then I have done it. I remember not having much time at all to answer them. Honestly don’t think I did very well on those just due to the added pressure of them being on video. My CASPER score was good so im praying that’s what they look at.

If you are talking about snapshot (I think that’s what it’s called - the CASPER related thing), then I have done it. I remember not having much time at all to answer them. Honestly don’t think I did very well on those just due to the added pressure of them being on video. My CASPER score was good so im praying that’s what they look at.
Nah I'm talking about the video recorded responses for the secondary application

I did the video portion, and yes it’s only 5 minutes to answer all 4 questions. It wasn’t as bad as I was expecting though, you get 5 minutes of prep time before recording and that was enough to organize most of my thoughts

I did the video portion, and yes it’s only 5 minutes to answer all 4 questions. It wasn’t as bad as I was expecting though, you get 5 minutes of prep time before recording and that was enough to organize most of my thoughts
Do you happen to know what resources we can use with the video essay? (As in have our app up to reference, or close everything). I'm planning on taking it this weekend and was just curious

Do you happen to know what resources we can use with the video essay? (As in have our app up to reference, or close everything). I'm planning on taking it this weekend and was just curious
I can't exactly remember but I know there wasn't any strict rules, I had some other tabs open. That being said I didn't need any resources to answer the questions, it's very similar to questions on the Casper test or just answering typical secondary questions. If you've done a few secondary applications then you should be good!

After toiling through with my abysmal artistic ability and crippling anxiety when talking to a recording of myself, I've finally submitted the secondary. Lets do this!

Reactions: 2 users
So it says on the portal that "they encourage including multiple activities for each" or something. I'm sure its totally fine if not better to have one activity. But if I were to include different activities, how do I calculate hours and talk about my roles?

So it says on the portal that "they encourage including multiple activities for each" or something. I'm sure its totally fine if not better to have one activity. But if I were to include different activities, how do I calculate hours and talk about my roles?
I'm not entirely sure, but I combined the hours of all of my activities and simply described my role in each of the activities I depicted. I'm sure there's no exact format they're looking for especially if you've already talked about each one in your descriptions.

I'm not entirely sure, but I combined the hours of all of my activities and simply described my role in each of the activities I depicted. I'm sure there's no exact format they're looking for especially if you've already talked about each one in your descriptions.
Thank you so much! I will probably do something similar.

Just confirming there is no secondary fee to be paid right?

Just submitted the secondary and I felt like an absolute fool filming the video portion... my first answer made no sense and I feel like I sounded so boring and stupid ugh

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from the competency checklist? Starting to worry as it’s been almost 3 weeks…

Finished & submitted the secondary but no complete email. Portal does say "Submitted" though.

Fyi - don't forget all your letters have to be in by your secondary deadline to be considered complete and to be able to submit the secondary.

Finally submitted mine. This one took… a long time. The anxiety over the artifacts was REAL bad. Video portion was fine, though.

• Care
Just to confirm, if my personalized deadline is August 9th, does that mean I have until 11:59PM on August 9th to submit it or do I need to get it in by 11:59PM on August 8th (today)? sincerely, a last minute scrambler haha

Just submitted my secondary. Was there any email confirmation that came with it?

Finally submitted mine. This one took… a long time. The anxiety over the artifacts was REAL bad. Video portion was fine, though.
Did you do the essays? The Instructions gave conflicting instructions.

"Don’t provide an essay for your artifact unless you are an extraordinarily skilled writer! Each artifact will be accompanied by a very brief essay (maximum 100 words) to give context to your artifact."

Did you do the essays? The Instructions gave conflicting instructions.

"Don’t provide an essay for your artifact unless you are an extraordinarily skilled writer! Each artifact will be accompanied by a very brief essay (maximum 100 words) to give context to your artifact."
Pretty sure it’s talking about not doing an essay for the artifact itself not the description. All of the artifacts are supposed to have a 100 word description on the context.

How are ya'll making the "artifacts". Using powerpoint or photoshop?

Folks, do you any of you have a sample Carle Secondary that I can use as reference so I can get an idea of what people have done?

I saw his video and he showed one artifact. I'd appreciate it if I could see a couple more from past applicants.

lol I do not think I will make my deadline to make artifacts, seems like a good school though folks, best of luck getting in

Just to confirm, if my personalized deadline is August 9th, does that mean I have until 11:59PM on August 9th to submit it or do I need to get it in by 11:59PM on August 8th (today)? sincerely, a last minute scrambler haha
Did you ever figure this out? My personalized deadline is Sept. 1 and I am wondering the same thing. As in if it is due August 31st at 11:59pm or Sept 1st at 11:59pm

Did you ever figure this out? My personalized deadline is Sept. 1 and I am wondering the same thing. As in if it is due August 31st at 11:59pm or Sept 1st at 11:59pm

I’m not sure what time exactly. But my due date was 08/03 or smthn and I was still working on it on 08/03. I had no issues submitting the that day