2022-2023 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this year's questions, @Blueshirtguy

2022-2023 Hofstra Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. Please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1500 Characters)

2. Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 Characters)

3. Optional: Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges. (1500 Characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
LIJ School of Medicine at Hofstra University Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Received noon 6/24 verified 5/31. Good Luck Everybody!

Please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1500 Char)

Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 Char)

Optional: Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges. (1500 Char)

Does anyone know when CASPER will be marked complete? I took mine on 06/02.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I couldn't figure out how to sign in to the portal, so I hit forgot password and entered my AAMC id as the username

For some reason, I'm getting a different response to the secondaries than above. I have the exact same questions but instead of a 1500 character limit, I have a 1500 word limit per question. Am I the only one with that and do y'all plan on hitting the character limit or the listed word limit?

It takes about 2 weeks for scores to be distributed to schools, and a month for scores to be released to students. Most likely, the score has already been sent to your schools, or there's a slight delay because of the number of test takers.

Anybody verified and not receive a secondary yet

Reactions: 1 users
Received noon 6/24 verified 5/31. Good Luck Everybody!

Please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1500 Char)

Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 Char)

Optional: Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges. (1500 Char)
@wysdoc

I was thinking the same thing :/. Casper said it already released by scores to schools and I received my quartile rank. If it doesn't get updated by next week, I was gonna reach out to Altus/Hofstra

Hi guys, I copied 1500 characters as the limit, but if others can confirm whether it's 'characters' or 'words' as the limit please do.
They sent an email clarifying it is characters. Portal is updated now.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the 3rd question about COVID, do yall think they're only asking about challenges during the application process that began this June? Or can I talk about challenges I faced since the beginning of COVID that affected ECs for my application?

For the 3rd question about COVID, do yall think they're only asking about challenges during the application process that began this June? Or can I talk about challenges I faced since the beginning of COVID that affected ECs for my application?
Definitely the latter

I was thinking the same thing :/. Casper said it already released by scores to schools and I received my quartile rank. If it doesn't get updated by next week, I was gonna reach out to Altus/Hofstra
Keep us updated. I am wondering the same thing.

Does anyone's portal show that their casper results were received?

Keep us updated. I am wondering the same thing.

Does anyone's portal show that their casper results were received?
I called today to ask about this same thing! They said that they could see my casper results on their end. The woman I spoke to said that the portal should update tomorrow, but I'm not sure if she reset something in my portal. Either way, she said if the portal did not reflect the change we should screenshot the status page and send it to the admissions office. Hope this helps! :)

I called today to ask about this same thing! They said that they could see my casper results on their end. The woman I spoke to said that the portal should update tomorrow, but I'm not sure if she reset something in my portal. Either way, she said if the portal did not reflect the change we should screenshot the status page and send it to the admissions office. Hope this helps! :)

Hmmm interesting! I called Altus and they said they sent them out and schools take a while to upload it on their portal. I'm assuming maybe by the end of this week they should be reflected on most portals since it would be a week since they opened up. If not, I'd call

Thanks for sharing this year's questions, @Blueshirtguy

2022-2023 Hofstra Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. Please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1500 Characters)

2. Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 Characters)

3. Optional: Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges. (1500 Characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
LIJ School of Medicine at Hofstra University Interview Feedback
is #2 just asking to give a challenge you have overcome in general, or is it asking for a challenge you've had to overcome regarding med apps?

For the covid question, are they strictly asking about things that impacted our application (MCAT delays, experiences canceled etc)? Would personal challenges that did not really impact our application be off topic?

For the covid question, are they strictly asking about things that impacted our application (MCAT delays, experiences canceled etc)? Would personal challenges that did not really impact our application be off topic?
isn't question 2 addressing personal challenges?

For the COVID question, do they want us to strictly talk about challenges (maybe challenges working with pts with different views on vaccine) or also include the lessons that I've learned as a result?

Also wondering about this + is the lessons we learned thru our newly acquired ecs post covid not relevant to the question?

Is it okay to send 6 LORs if you have that many? Or best to send the best 3 LORs you think you have?

I just submitted my secondary tonight. My app is "In Review" right now.

OOS II today at 9 am PST!! No ties to NY, ORM, LM 75, WARS 85-89, 2nd quartile CASPer, complete 7/9, shoe size 7, sagittarius, spunky.

First II, so I am very excited! For those low CASPer scorers, don't lose hope!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
OOS II today at 9 am PST!! No ties to NY, ORM, LM 75, WARS 85-89, 2nd quartile CASPer, complete 7/9, shoe size 7, sagittarius, spunky.

First II, so I am very excited! For those low CASPer scorers, don't lose hope!

Not enough information…. What color socks were you wearing when you submitted? CONGRATS!!!!

• Haha
Got my first II!!!!!
IS URM, WARS 87, Casper: 4th Q, completed 8/6.

ETA: Shoe size: yes

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email for a II at 4:11PM EST! OOS completed on 7/5. Casper was 3rd quartile. Stats in signature.

II invite 4:11 pm; IS,submitted secondary 7/3, Casper 3rd quartile, 3.92/520

I have no idea if/how actually
Can I just marvel at how you have THAT many IIs (15?!) this early on in the cycle? Lol. Just caught my eye and I'd appreciate any tips for a future applicant

It seems like Hofstra has sent out their IIs to the super high stats applicants so far. Idk maybe im bugging