2022-2023 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know this Nova's history with the waitlist? I've been waitlisted since November and was wondering my chances actually are of getting accepted and when movement starts occurring for the list.
I was accepted from Alternate list in December! Wishing you luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am super excited to start this fall!!!!! I made a group for those accepted and here is the invite link: GroupMe

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting for an II? Complete in the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
DO can use it but with faculty approval but yeah it’s basically hard af to access. On my tour, the guide said that one of the reasons the dean got rid of the cadaver lab for DOs was bc DO students don’t typically go into specialities that require a thorough knowledge of anatomy (like surgery). So basically nova is limiting you from the start with what they think you as a DO student want/are capable of 🙃
Current student here, this is entirely false. As someone mentioned, it is because TBR did not have a cadaver lab included in the plans, and by nature of operating as one program, students at Davie cannot use the labs unless TBR has the same opportunity. The last two years the anatomy department has organized opportunities for M1's and 2's to have cadaver experiences.

Current student here, this is entirely false. As someone mentioned, it is because TBR did not have a cadaver lab included in the plans, and by nature of operating as one program, students at Davie cannot use the labs unless TBR has the same opportunity. The last two years the anatomy department has organized opportunities for M1's and 2's to have cadaver experiences.
I’m just repeating what the guide told us. I understand that TBR doesn’t have a cadaver lab but by that logic couldn’t they have simply added a cadaver lab instead of taking the one at Davie away? However I’m glad you guys still had cadaver experiences!! :)

During my student Q&A I was told nova has partnership with local hospital (the morgue?) that allows students access to cadavers if interested

I’m just repeating what the guide told us. I understand that TBR doesn’t have a cadaver lab but by that logic couldn’t they have simply added a cadaver lab instead of taking the one at Davie away? However I’m glad you guys still had cadaver experiences!! :)
With due respect to everyone's own expectations from the anatomy class, I personally don't want to spend long hours in a cadaver lab. Lecture notes and an anatomy atlas would be more than enough for me to master the subject inside out.

Just to clarify for anyone concerned about the issue- the Davie campus still has the cadaver lab, other programs utilize it as well, and you will likely have minimum two opportunities through the program for cadaver lab as part of anatomy courses. Obviously most students would prefer to have cadavers continued as part of the lab curriculum, but I assure you those two are enough for most. If you're eager for more, I'm sure there are local pathologists who would let you shadow. Additionally, there is usually a summer work experience for a select group of med students to lead the master's program/other programs' anatomy cadaver labs. As a med student you will have to learn to be a "go-getter" of sorts; there will always be something you need/want that your program doesn't have readily available, it will be up to you to make that happen for yourself.

Does anyone know this Nova's history with the waitlist? I've been waitlisted since November and was wondering my chances actually are of getting accepted and when movement starts occurring for the list.
adding this to the thread again, does anyone know when we are to expect movement with the waitlist? trying to figure out my odds for getting accepted

Anyone know how long this school typically interviews for? Should we be expecting many more interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the interview day like at this school?

does this school hold a traditional interview format? 30 mins?

This is my first in person interview of the cycle, does anyone have any idea of what to bring and also what to expect for lunch? Do I bring lunch or do we get a break? Also interview tips would be appreciated as well as I’m super nervous :)

does this school hold a traditional interview format? 30 mins?
Traditional open file interview with two interviewers. My interview was <10 mins long, longer only w my questions

May I ask why it was so short? My interviews from this cycle have all been 30 minutes so just wondering
I was asking myself the same thing. My interviewers weren’t very conversational, it was very question and answer with no like building off of something I said

has anyone from this year or past years received a scholarship offer?

Hey guys, I paid my deposit here but I am accepting another offer. To drop my deposit, is there a form I fill out or do I just email?

Hey guys, I paid my deposit here but I am accepting another offer. To drop my deposit, is there a form I fill out or do I just email?
I don't know the answer to this, but just felt like saying I'm sorry you're losing all that money :( DO schools all with their $2000 non-refundable deposits AHHH

I had called Nova awhile ago and they told me that everything was complete but when I log into the portal it says my transcripts are not yet received... what does this mean? Does anyone have any experience with this Dx

I had called Nova awhile ago and they told me that everything was complete but when I log into the portal it says my transcripts are not yet received... what does this mean? Does anyone have any experience with this Dx
yup lol i emailed them to ask and they said "Thank you for your interest in Nova Southeastern University. We look forward to reviewing your application and working with you to achieve your career goals. If you have already submitted required documentation or credentials to the Centralized Application Service portal (i.e., AACOMAS, AADSAS, CASPA, CASAA, OTCAS, PTCAS, OptomCAS, PostBaccCAS, PharmCAS, PharmGrad, NursingCAS, CSDCAS, PASS, or CAAPID), you do not have to resubmit this documentation directly to NSU"

yup lol i emailed them to ask and they said "Thank you for your interest in Nova Southeastern University. We look forward to reviewing your application and working with you to achieve your career goals. If you have already submitted required documentation or credentials to the Centralized Application Service portal (i.e., AACOMAS, AADSAS, CASPA, CASAA, OTCAS, PTCAS, OptomCAS, PostBaccCAS, PharmCAS, PharmGrad, NursingCAS, CSDCAS, PASS, or CAAPID), you do not have to resubmit this documentation directly to NSU"

Hilarious lol. Thank you for clearing that up regardless hahahah

Anyone not hear back in a while? Have not received an interview yet.

Anyone not hear back in a while? Have not received an interview yet.
Yup, although I applied pretty late (mid December). Judging from last year’s thread, they’re still sending interviews into April.

Question, if they are already accepting off the waitlist, why haven't they rejected all the applicants who haven't gotten an interview yet? Doesn't pulling from the waitlist mean they're done sending acceptances?

Last edited:
Congratulations! But also, question, if they are already accepting off the waitlist, why haven't they rejected all the applicants who haven't gotten an interview yet? Doesn't pulling from the waitlist mean they're done sending acceptances?
It doesn’t, they can constantly interview and put those others on the WL and see if they get off

How's the interview here? Just curious about how it works and whether it was stressful or not!

Accepted, 509, 3.7 sGPA, 3.6 GPA. Interviewed last week on 1/24

Anyone receive an interview invite recently who was complete after November?

I think that’s the conventional thinking, but every school does it differently. I’m declining the A, beautiful school but the Dean put her foot in her mouth during the Q&A and it didn’t give me a good impression. Hoping one of you on the WL gets the seat/opens up room for another II!
What did she say?

Considering just withdrawing my app from here tbh. Also just highly doubtful that I will ever, EVER willingly move to Florida. At least not the Florida of 2023 :(

I am a tad nervous now, I just got off the phone with friend who is a current student and they told me that there are currently quite a few scandals going on at Nova. This is in addition to what I was told by fellow SDNer's

Just today a bunch of M2's are being sent to student progress for discussing test questions after they took the exam, this could result in them being straight up dismissed.
Can confirm, also just got off the phone with a current second year

I've been getting quite a few PM's and other people I have spoken to have also gotten numerous PM's so in the public interest and for the sake of allowing others to make the best decision they can here is what Dean Elaine Wallace allegedly and apparently said during an interview (there may be some differences in what people remember but this is just meant to be an overview):

1. During the Q and A session a black female interviewee asked what the school was doing to help encourage diversity. Dean Wallace then abruptly stated that she does not believe it is the medical school's place to right the "ills of society." She then went on a tangent about how she doesn't believe in affirmative action (side note, there are many ways to encourage diversity in the medical field that do not involve affirmative action and those reasons were not addressed). Most offensively, she stated she didn't believe in allowing LOWER QUALIFIED people of color practicing medicine and instead wanted qualified, high performing student who will excel in medicine

2. Dean Wallace then went on to talk about helping the underserved, which apparently seemed like her justification for not encouraging diversity at Nova because they help the underserved? Either way helping the underserved does not equal encourage diversity at Nova and is kind of demeaning to compare them.

3. A interviewee asked if Nova is receptive to student feedback in developing and adjusting the curriculum. Dean Wallace responded by stating that she didn't think students should be in charge of "dictating medical education" because they do not know what is best for them. Numerous people stated that when stating this she did so in a condescending tone.

Once again the above was the result of numerous peoples statements/recollections and there may be differences in what people recall.
Thank you for sharing this information. While the opinions expressed by Dean Elaine Wallace may not align with everyone's perspective, it is important to remember that medical schools have long-standing traditions and practices in place for training medical students. The staff and faculty have extensive experience in educating and preparing future doctors, and their approach may differ from what some students may expect or prefer. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to weigh their options and make the best decision for their education and career.

Thank you for sharing this information. While the opinions expressed by Dean Elaine Wallace may not align with everyone's perspective, it is important to remember that medical schools have long-standing traditions and practices in place for training medical students. The staff and faculty have extensive experience in educating and preparing future doctors, and their approach may differ from what some students may expect or prefer. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to weigh their options and make the best decision for their education and career.
I'm sorry, but I think that if nothing else, everyone MUST believe and recognize that diversity is important, at the very least. Respectfully to the poster of this comment, that "perspective" is not up for debate.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been getting quite a few PM's and other people I have spoken to have also gotten numerous PM's so in the public interest and for the sake of allowing others to make the best decision they can here is what Dean Elaine Wallace allegedly and apparently said during an interview (there may be some differences in what people remember but this is just meant to be an overview):

1. During the Q and A session a black female interviewee asked what the school was doing to help encourage diversity. Dean Wallace then abruptly stated that she does not believe it is the medical school's place to right the "ills of society." She then went on a tangent about how she doesn't believe in affirmative action (side note, there are many ways to encourage diversity in the medical field that do not involve affirmative action and those reasons were not addressed). Most offensively, she stated she didn't believe in allowing LOWER QUALIFIED people of color practicing medicine and instead wanted qualified, high performing student who will excel in medicine

2. Dean Wallace then went on to talk about helping the underserved, which apparently seemed like her justification for not encouraging diversity at Nova because they help the underserved? Either way helping the underserved does not equal encourage diversity at Nova and is kind of demeaning to compare them.

3. A interviewee asked if Nova is receptive to student feedback in developing and adjusting the curriculum. Dean Wallace responded by stating that she didn't think students should be in charge of "dictating medical education" because they do not know what is best for them. Numerous people stated that when stating this she did so in a condescending tone.

Once again the above was the result of numerous peoples statements/recollections and there may be differences in what people recall.
I agree with everything she said. She didn’t say that she doesn’t value diversity, she said that it doesn’t matter where you come when it comes to deciding who’s accepted and who’s not.

I agree with everything she said. She didn’t say that she doesn’t value diversity, she said that it doesn’t matter where you come when it comes to deciding who’s accepted and who’s not.
This is exactly what I remember her saying. I do not recall her saying anything like this: “. Most offensively, she stated she didn't believe in allowing LOWER QUALIFIED people of color practicing medicine and instead wanted qualified, high performing student who will excel in medicine”

Also point 2 doesn’t make sense. She was saying that if you want to come to nova you should have an interest in wanting to care for the underserved. If not, then it isn’t the school for you. Not once did she mention diversity after the diversity question

I'm sorry, but I think that if nothing else, everyone MUST believe and recognize that diversity is important, at the very least. Respectfully to the poster of this comment, that "perspective" is not up for debate.
The argument you presented focuses solely on the importance of diversity but does not provide any information or evidence to support the quality of medical education at NSU. To evaluate the quality of medical education, it is important to consider factors such as the curriculum, the resources available to students, the experiences and qualifications of the faculty, and the success of graduates in their careers. Merely stating that diversity is important does not speak to the quality of medical education being provided.

This is exactly what I remember her saying. I do not recall her saying anything like this: “. Most offensively, she stated she didn't believe in allowing LOWER QUALIFIED people of color practicing medicine and instead wanted qualified, high performing student who will excel in medicine”
The argument you presented is based on a selective memory of what the speaker, Dean Elaine Wallace, said and is therefore unreliable. It is possible that the person recalling the statement may have misunderstood or misremembered what was said. Additionally, the use of terms like "lower qualified" and "high performing" can be subjective and open to interpretation, making it difficult to accurately assess the speaker's intent. It is important to consider multiple sources and viewpoints when evaluating a statement or argument.

The argument you presented focuses solely on the importance of diversity but does not provide any information or evidence to support the quality of medical education at NSU. To evaluate the quality of medical education, it is important to consider factors such as the curriculum, the resources available to students, the experiences and qualifications of the faculty, and the success of graduates in their careers. Merely stating that diversity is important does not speak to the quality of medical education being provided.
Disagree, diversity is an incredible quality of medical education and if not present should be a qualifier of the education you are receiving